Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF is wrong with me? ArcheAge questions.

2»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    farbege said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Even the business companies themselves call the type of model used in Archeage's cash shop "Pay-to-win".  They don't bother with stupid semantics like "Can you still buy it from others for in-game gold" or "Is it only pay-to-advantage?".

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016417/-100-000-Whales-An

Of course, that's what "Pay-to-win" itself technically is.  A semantic.  However, it's an easy short three-word way to describe the business model in the presentation (which is also Archeage's model for the most part).  If you aren't calling it "Pay-to-win", you have to jump through all sorts of wordy hoops to describe the model.  Not that those defending it care, since obsufucation of what it is and how it hurts the game (also pointed out in that business presentation) is likely their goal.

Well i don't used any Pay-toWin to play and enjoy Archeage.
    (i am subscribed -like i would do in any other MMORPG- and not a single dime ever more given).

What is Archeage in this case ?
    The game is designed that you can't even own land and properly farm it without paying a subscription and buying extra items from the cash shop.  So you might not have purchased anything you consider pay to win.  But I guarantee you paid more then the sub fee to enjoy this game.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    edited September 2016
    filmoret said:
    farbege said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Even the business companies themselves call the type of model used in Archeage's cash shop "Pay-to-win".  They don't bother with stupid semantics like "Can you still buy it from others for in-game gold" or "Is it only pay-to-advantage?".

Of course, that's what "Pay-to-win" itself technically is.  A semantic.  However, it's an easy short three-word way to describe the business model in the presentation (which is also Archeage's model for the most part).  If you aren't calling it "Pay-to-win", you have to jump through all sorts of wordy hoops to describe the model.  Not that those defending it care, since obsufucation of what it is and how it hurts the game (also pointed out in that business presentation) is likely their goal.

(i am subscribed -like i would do in any other MMORPG- and not a single dime ever more given).

The game is designed that you can't even own land and properly farm it without paying a subscription and buying extra items from the cash shop.  So you might not have purchased anything you consider pay to win.  But I guarantee you paid more then the sub fee to enjoy this game.
    You can own land without paying real money. hence i could now stop paying subscription and still own the land for the next year.
    The restriction to own land is tied to a buff basically thats called patron. Many players i know just buy it for real money just 1 time (for the first month) and from that point on they buy the patron buff through ingame gold (with APEX) .

Also sorry i know exactly what "left out of my pocket" to TRION and it is really just the subscription which is as much as  with all MMORPG's. 
    farbege said:
    filmoret said:
    farbege said:
    Tiamat64 said:

You can own land without paying real money. hence i could now stop paying subscription and still own the land for the next year.
    The restriction to own land is tied to a buff basically thats called patron. Many players i know just buy it for real money just 1 time (for the first month) and from that point on they buy the patron buff through ingame gold (with APEX) .

Also sorry i know exactly what "left out of my pocket" to TRION and it is really just the subscription which is as much as  with all MMORPG's. 
    Yea I was a patron and found myself constantly in need of more work points.  Which costs either more gold or more real money in order just to do simple things like make trade packs.  Yes I'm sure at some point after spending monthly patron status and buying more work points you will no longer need to do such things.  That is if you decided you do not want any crafted gear.  Which you really cannot survive without that stuff.   Then you also run the risk of Trion doing some kind of nerf to the drop rates of your favorite farming spot or whatever items you were making money from.  Yes that happened several times.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I guess my bottom-line question is, can I be a successful (having fun and making decent gold) carebear farmer with just a monthly sub and no cash shop purchases?  I just want to grow and sell figs, dammit.
    I guess my bottom-line question is, can I be a successful (having fun and making decent gold) carebear farmer with just a monthly sub and no cash shop purchases?  I just want to grow and sell figs, dammit.
    If you pay for patron and only play around 20 hours a week then that might work.  But if you play more then 20 hours you will be required to pay more then just the sub fee to enjoy the game.  That will happen for about 5 months then you won't have to pay anything anymore.  The problem with Trion and this game was they always figured out how to make it take longer and cost more money.  So every time I found a good place in the game they would change it and make me have to find something else or pay the extra money.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2016
    It doesn't seem like anyone mentioned trade runs. You asked if you can make decent gold being a carebear farmer. The answer is yes. You sound a lot like my bf, he enjoyed the same thing, but they don't want you to just do safe trade runs; it's far more rewarding to do trade runs in hostile zones. However, you can do trade runs during peacetime in these hostile zones. The problem with that (at least when we were playing), is that players did try to create a barricade to prevent players from successfully completing the trade run during peacetime. 

Personally, I didn't like playing Farmville in ArcheAge; I much prefer to actually kill stuff, but everyone likes different things. My bf loved doing trade runs on his merchant ship and tending to his beehives. I was more concerned with getting geared and experiencing end game content, but when I hear that a player admitted to spending 10k (real money) in ArcheAge, it's just discouraging. It's no longer about skill; it's about who spent the most money. When players can one shot you at max level, you know it's a problem. 

It's unfortunate because ArcheAge really did have potential. If you don't mind the stress of players harassing you during your trade run, (because it will happen) then go for it. Players will bother you, in one way or another, so be prepared for that. ArcheAge has one of the worst communities I have ever dealt with.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited September 2016
    I was a trade pack player since grinding for purses was way too boring and required you to stay online all the time + labor potions consumption.

My main route was a bit risky: Ynystere to Solis.

Only 1 contested zone then the rest all peaceful. My way was that I carefully placed a big farm right in front of the crafting area so I didn't have to cross large distance before dropping them safely in the farm even when not in peace. Then you either wait for peace time if there's enough people fighting there (Doubtful) or you scan the area beforehand with your mount and go on the bottom part of the map not the main road.

I made a friendly alliance with the neighbours farms but you must be careful as the biggest bandits are your own faction.

When I encountered people in Ynystere (In like 2 months I lost packs twice) and just wanted to be safe I'd do Solis to Arcum Iris by going from the mountains in Mahadevi after crossing the bridge.

I stole all kinds of packs then realized it wasn't even worth doing unless they are right next to the trade in spot.  Then we got large groups of players together and ran trade ships.  Found out that wasn't even worth doing either.  I could make 1 gold per minute in Archeage and that wasn't enough to even come close to enjoying it.  The labor potions weren't worth buying because you never made the money back.  You would figure that labor points would actually make labor worth something in the game and well it isn't.  There is literally nothing you can do with labor that will make it worth more then the cost of a labor potion.  You have to look at Archeage as lawless factions.  Don't trust your faction because they can kill and rob you with almost no penalty.  I absolutely loved the idea of this game and how it was setup.  It was the way the game is handled that caused me to just run away screaming.
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    The sad thing on these forums is that you really cant filter through the crap response from people who dont really understand the game ( the  guy who cant make enough money as a patron playing 5 hours /day).. or through the responses from people who are just plain bad at video games (the guy who does solis to ynny runs).

The bottom line answer to your question 100% absolutely. Monthly sub is all that is needed in order to make enough money to keep your patron status up for free. If you are willing to pay the sub, then you will be stockpiling gold pretty easily, more than enough to equip yourself in full obsidian and enchant it up to celestial/divine in no time. I know plenty of carebears that dont pvp and are super rich. If you are willing to dabble even a little in auroria economy, then your profits will increase. The game has plenty to do and the economy is actually fun and player driven. 
    The sad thing on these forums is that you really cant filter through the crap response from people who dont really understand the game ( the  guy who cant make enough money as a patron playing 5 hours /day).. or through the responses from people who are just plain bad at video games (the guy who does solis to ynny runs).

The bottom line answer to your question 100% absolutely. Monthly sub is all that is needed in order to make enough money to keep your patron status up for free. If you are willing to pay the sub, then you will be stockpiling gold pretty easily, more than enough to equip yourself in full obsidian and enchant it up to celestial/divine in no time. I know plenty of carebears that dont pvp and are super rich. If you are willing to dabble even a little in auroria economy, then your profits will increase. The game has plenty to do and the economy is actually fun and player driven. 
    I don't think you remember how it is to start off.  How much gold you going to need to get a piece of land?  How much gold you going to need to buy a trade cart?  How are you going to make that gold?  How long is that going to take?  You can't really begin to make any gold untill you have that first.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    The answer is yes assuming you are able to find land in a non-pvp area.  I jumped in last year and played farmer for a bit and was able to find two 16x16 plots in the same area.  I purchased a 24x24 from a guy but someone came up behind me and stole it as we were doing the transaction.  I spent about a half hour each day running around different non-pvp housing areas looking for plots and was never able to find another one.

It has been a year since I played and the server population has gone down a bit since then.  In recent months, Trion is even paying popular youtubers to come back and take another look at the game in an effrot to bring people back.  There is also an expansion coming in December, version 3.0 that is supposed to open up a new non-pvp area with more land so you might want to check it out.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

filmoret said:

I don't think you remember how it is to start off.  How much gold you going to need to get a piece of land?  How much gold you going to need to buy a trade cart?  How are you going to make that gold?  How long is that going to take?  You can't really begin to make any gold untill you have that first.
    Fresh start servers with anti-swipe mechanics are opening Dec 10 for the 3.0 release. you dont need gold for land. All you need to do is play at release and youll find plots no problem. The new residence zone is designed to fix the housing problem. If you play and manage your farm well, planting according to what the server needs for the first 2 weeks, youll be able to get your cart easily.
    edited November 2016
    filmoret said:

Fresh start servers with anti-swipe mechanics are opening Dec 10 for the 3.0 release. you dont need gold for land. All you need to do is play at release and youll find plots no problem. The new residence zone is designed to fix the housing problem. If you play and manage your farm well, planting according to what the server needs for the first 2 weeks, youll be able to get your cart easily.
    So you are saying that there will not be 100+ hackers claiming all the land for themselves and the actual players will have a chance this time around?  I was stupid enough to believe this the first time and I refuse to believe it this time.  Also where the heck you getting this info because I cannot find it?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Is there enough of a population for a new server tough?

(Also thanks for the random LOLs Gdemami. You made me get the 100 LOLs badge)

filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

So you are saying that there will not be 100+ hackers claiming all the land for themselves and the actual players will have a chance this time around?  I was stupid enough to believe this the first time and I refuse to believe it this time.  Also where the heck you getting this info because I cannot find it?
    Land hacking has been eliminated ages ago. You cant place another piece of land until the first one you placed is built. Gluck having packs upon packs of lumber and stone at land rush. In the time it take for you to gather 1 pack, most of the good spots will be taken. Land hack is a thing of the past. 

New server will be chock full to the brim. Many old players roll on new servers for the lulz and pvp. MANY returning players are coming back. Just look at Morpheus ( the recent new fresh server). It was handled incredibly poorly with wealth transfer from legacy servers, and it was still fucking blazingly packed for weeks. 

There is no denying it. The game is good. It has obvious drawbacks, but considering the rest of the MMO market, there is no excuse to not be playing this right now and for the foreseeable future into 2017.
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Land hacking has been eliminated ages ago. You cant place another piece of land until the first one you placed is built. Gluck having packs upon packs of lumber and stone at land rush. In the time it take for you to gather 1 pack, most of the good spots will be taken. Land hack is a thing of the past. 

New server will be chock full to the brim. Many old players roll on new servers for the lulz and pvp. MANY returning players are coming back. Just look at Morpheus ( the recent new fresh server). It was handled incredibly poorly with wealth transfer from legacy servers, and it was still fucking blazingly packed for weeks. 

There is no denying it. The game is good. It has obvious drawbacks, but considering the rest of the MMO market, there is no excuse to not be playing this right now and for the foreseeable future into 2017.
    So how would someone claim land without someone else grabbing it while you are trying to haul supplies to build?
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

So how would someone claim land without someone else grabbing it while you are trying to haul supplies to build?
    You log in, and do your first 9 gilda star quests. Youll get 15 by then and you will port to go buy your 15 gilda design for a basic 16x16 house. You then run your design to your desired location. You right click it and place it on the ground in an empty spot. It comes out unbuilt. You need 1 stone pack and 2 lumber packs to finish it. In the old system, you you then click on another design and place down another unfinished house. You could repeat this for as long as you had gildas to buy designs. Now, you can no longer do this. The bots that script the gilda quests will be able to place ONE house and thats it. They will need to build that house before they can claim another plot of land. This effectively limits the land hacking bots to only one plot per character. The initial rush of land in Archeage 1.0 was not bots. The bots took about a day to get the gildas to get a design. The land hacks appeared when people were trying to remove unbuilt houses and replace them with 16x16 farms. You demolished your house and before you could right click, the land bot would place its own farm down. Whether this has been eliminated is unsure, but it most certainly will not affect you if all you want is 1 or 2 16x16 plots. 

To put it shortly, Land will not be an issue come 3.0. The new housing zones are designed to have enough land for everyone who wants  it. Im getting this information from playing the game since 1.0. A lot has changed and will continue to change with 3.0. Does Trion manipulate the contents of boxes in order to affect the economy.. yes. Is it a pain in the ass to adjust your money making schemes everytime they do it? Yes. Is the game going to p2w in 3.0?? No. P2w mechanics are super nerfed on the new servers and by the time they implement things like Stellar farms and 10k lumber trees on the market, the server will already be doing DGS which generates much more money and gear score power than anything in the market. The Market, if done correctly merely lets people pay money in order to keep up with the major guilds that have so much gold they dont even look at the cash shop ( because there is nothing there worth paying money for them). Regrades are all farmable now. Gear doesnt require RNG to be upgradeable. Gear regrading success has been greatly increased and chance to fail eliminated at all but the highest tiers of gear. Its honeslty kinda carebear now, but w/e, still the best game out right now if you want a fantasy non-spaceship sandbox.
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

You log in, and do your first 9 gilda star quests. Youll get 15 by then and you will port to go buy your 15 gilda design for a basic 16x16 house. You then run your design to your desired location. You right click it and place it on the ground in an empty spot. It comes out unbuilt. You need 1 stone pack and 2 lumber packs to finish it. In the old system, you you then click on another design and place down another unfinished house. You could repeat this for as long as you had gildas to buy designs. Now, you can no longer do this. The bots that script the gilda quests will be able to place ONE house and thats it. They will need to build that house before they can claim another plot of land. This effectively limits the land hacking bots to only one plot per character. The initial rush of land in Archeage 1.0 was not bots. The bots took about a day to get the gildas to get a design. The land hacks appeared when people were trying to remove unbuilt houses and replace them with 16x16 farms. You demolished your house and before you could right click, the land bot would place its own farm down. Whether this has been eliminated is unsure, but it most certainly will not affect you if all you want is 1 or 2 16x16 plots. 

To put it shortly, Land will not be an issue come 3.0. The new housing zones are designed to have enough land for everyone who wants  it. Im getting this information from playing the game since 1.0. A lot has changed and will continue to change with 3.0. Does Trion manipulate the contents of boxes in order to affect the economy.. yes. Is it a pain in the ass to adjust your money making schemes everytime they do it? Yes. Is the game going to p2w in 3.0?? No. P2w mechanics are super nerfed on the new servers and by the time they implement things like Stellar farms and 10k lumber trees on the market, the server will already be doing DGS which generates much more money and gear score power than anything in the market. The Market, if done correctly merely lets people pay money in order to keep up with the major guilds that have so much gold they dont even look at the cash shop ( because there is nothing there worth paying money for them). Regrades are all farmable now. Gear doesnt require RNG to be upgradeable. Gear regrading success has been greatly increased and chance to fail eliminated at all but the highest tiers of gear. Its honeslty kinda carebear now, but w/e, still the best game out right now if you want a fantasy non-spaceship sandbox.
    Good to know they fixed this.  Bad to know it took them over a year to figure out something this simple.