Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exclusive Developer Blog: Harvesting! - Crowfall Dev Journals

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageExclusive Developer Blog: Harvesting! - Crowfall Dev Journals

We've got a special treat for our readers with today's publication of an exclusive developer diary from the Crowfall and Thomas Blixtev Blair. In it, Thomas discusses the ins and outs of harvesting, resource and node fundamentals and much, much more. What are you waiting for!?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Harvesting and crafting were the 2 things I enjoyed the most in SWG. Totally loving this take on Harvesting and now I totally plan on starting a merc resource Harvesting, transport and protection guild.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    The more I see the more I like.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    The problem is in some cases resources and harvesting have been made completely moot to groups of people with the biggest coin purses. I'm of course talking about those who buy into the cash shop's houses, keeps, and castles. Those things that, while needing to be gathered and built upon by everyone else, are bought outright without need of in-game cost. That has been my nipping issue with Crowfall since it went from Kickstarter to website buy-in. That P2W feel from its cash shop based on the items sold vs. the fundamental objectives of the game outside of direct PvP combat.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This looks pretty cool. I'm concerned about just walking over resources to pick them up. There should be some sort of animation/progress. There also should be some kind of encumbered state/animation when transporting many resources.

I'm imagining someone harvesting and a thief lurking, only to simply quickly run over resources and disappear without having to risk anything to snatch it.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Siphaed said:

The problem is in some cases resources and harvesting have been made completely moot to groups of people with the biggest coin purses. I'm of course talking about those who buy into the cash shop's houses, keeps, and castles. Those things that, while needing to be gathered and built upon by everyone else, are bought outright without need of in-game cost. That has been my nipping issue with Crowfall since it went from Kickstarter to website buy-in. That P2W feel from its cash shop based on the items sold vs. the fundamental objectives of the game outside of direct PvP combat.

You've been writing the same post for almost a year now. :)
    There are some answers for you in this thread:
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/26/listen-to-crowfalls-devs-discuss-crafting-scenarios/

The resources are for objectives, weapons, and armor. AFAIK, the castles and keeps are more for show and social interaction (guilds, events, tourneys, etc). Was there an article that said that people would need to gather materials to build these structures? Not saying they didn't, only that I haven't seen word on that side of crafting.

Also keep in mind that 1) everyone gets an EK, and 2) you don't need to use it (and as a result, don't need a castle or keep) to play the core game.
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • CoolWatersCoolWaters Member UncommonPosts: 104

Siphaed said:

Really not the way it works at all.

Have you read much about CF? Those buildings are for the Eternal Kingdoms. Even if they weren't, if you want to bring a $4,000 asset (real life $) into a CW for me and the rest of -W- to burn down, be my guest.
  • MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    edited September 2016
    Will the coins made from Gold Dust be a valid currency to pay taxes on parcels, buildings and Eternal Kingdom upgrades?

Can we buy VIP with Gold Dust or the coins made from it?

Will Gold Dust be a crafting component?

Really looking forward to getting this system in game to test!
    Assuming we have to research the Harvesting Leadership skills to get the best stuff and;

If we start with The Dregs -- where the best resources are located;

How will we be able to harvest to top tier resources when the game starts?

Or will we all be waiting for 9-12 months after the game starts to begin seeing top level resources in game?

I suppose even if we could harvest the top level resources they would be useless until crafters skill up -- which will also be taking 9-12 months?
  • CaenthCaenth Member UncommonPosts: 13

MMO_Fan said:

Or will we all be waiting for 9-12 months after the game starts to begin seeing top level resources in game?

This doesn't have to be a bad thing. :)
    JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    James Goblin will LIKE this article!
    JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Caenth said:

MMO_Fan said:

This doesn't have to be a bad thing. :)

Agree. I think it would be appropriate.
  • coolster50coolster50 Member UncommonPosts: 45

This looks pretty cool. I'm concerned about just walking over resources to pick them up. There should be some sort of animation/progress. There also should be some kind of encumbered state/animation when transporting many resources.

I'm imagining someone harvesting and a thief lurking, only to simply quickly run over resources and disappear without having to risk anything to snatch it.

All the more reason to harvest in groups- so thieves will be hard pressed to actually steal anything
    edited September 2016

All the more reason to harvest in groups- so thieves will be hard pressed to actually steal anything
    I'm not concerned about the thieves stealing. It adds to the fun, and suspense. I just think they shouldn't be able to just "run" over the resources to get them like it's Sonic The Hedgehog or something.

In Archeage when you wanted to strike a blow against a rival guild you'd typically steal their packs while they were trying to turn them in for money/resources. You had to pick that junk up, strap it to your back and became encumbered with the load. It means stealing was more than just stealing, you had to actually get away with it.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Will this game ever release? For how long do we get the teasers?? Hurry up lazy Devs!

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Lonzo said:
    Will this game ever release? For how long do we get the teasers?? Hurry up lazy Devs!
    I'm not aware of any delays in development. Got links?
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    edited September 2016
    Didn't ArtCraft announce Crowfall in Jan 2015? SMH @ "lazy devs". I missed the obvious sarcasm maybe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Sounds really good, and almost makes me want to play Crowfall (though I generally don't care much for PvP).

My only reservation would be making nodes impossible to harvest without more than X players, and would prefer they kept it within the realm of possibility even if it is not especially practical (e.g. 1 player = 1 hour, 2 players = 15 minutes, 3 players = 5 minutes, 4 players = 2 minutes, etc.).

Would also be good to see 'motherlodes' (and other large / rare nodes) have more than 4 'break points' so they can be harvested for longer periods, and possibly by multiple groups (e.g. a motherlode could 'break' 20 times and contain enough ore to fill 20 caravans, so multiple trips, possibly by multiple groups, would be required to deplete it).
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I think I remember this Blixtev guy as one of the old mods from SOE/EQ/SWG.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter