Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim (not ESO) is now an MMORPG!

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

... Everyone here is too focused on what an MMO is or isn't..
    *checks TheScavenger's join date*

I would say welcome to MMORPG.com but yeh,...you aren't THAT new.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Lol this thread.  Looks like we have a new hit maker or maybe recycled. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Solitaire will be an MMORPG next.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    What is with everyone complaining about it being called an MMO? LoL is called an MMO, this is no different and is actually even more massive.

I had far better luck posting this on Reddit and The Escapist lol. Everyone here is too focused on what an MMO is or isn't, but its already been defined that an MMO is anything with an online functionality.
    Yeah right? You should check out this awesome mmo call Metal Gear Solid 5, its probably the best mmo that has ever been released and yet this site hardly even mentioned it, even though it supposedly focuses on mmos.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Nari are you multiplying ?

Chamber of Chains
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    cheyane said:

Was gonna say, looks like a Narius alt account
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited September 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    cheyane said:

Was gonna say, looks like a Narius alt account
    It certainly is a kindred spirit.  As to resistance on this site to misclassifying MMOs, if we who frequent this site (and know better) don't hold up the torch, who will?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Does anyone want to get started and have a group together to play this?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    *shakes head* Im gonna go back to playing my fav MMORPG. Its called Solitaire. Lots of other people are playing at the same time. So its an MMO now.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Rawwwr get him before he gets away...

/Runs off after The OP... :pitchfork in hand.:

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    Does anyone want to get started and have a group together to play this?
    Nah people here don't like playing video games.  They'd prefer to gang-bang on someone for misusing a term.

I'd definitely be up for trying it out but I don't own Skrym anymore and I didn't really like it (blasphemy, I know, but it was too boring for my tastes).
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Scorchien said:
    It is an MMORPG though. Leagues of legends is considered an MMO and its much smaller than this MMO mod for skyrim, many other online games are also considered MMOs. This isn't a discussion thread to discuss what an MMO is or not. There is already an active thread for that.

This is a discussion for the Skyrim MMORPG mod, not what someone considers an MMO or not.
    ummm the developers of the mod said that ... from your own link ...
    I did see that, but its only so they don't get controversy AND so it was more likely not to be a "banned" mod for competing with ESO. 

Again leagues of legends is an MMO and the devs do call it that, but its MUCH smaller than this Skyrim MMO mod. This MMO mod for Skyrim is vastly bigger with vastly more content than LoL. The only reason the mod states it isn't an MMO is so Bethesda lawyers wouldn't come down and shut it down, for fear of competing with ESO.

Again, this isn't an MMO discussion thread of what is or isn't an MMO, but for the Skyrim MMO mod. There are already discussions of what an MMO is or isn't, and the game industry as defined MMOs by any multiplayer online content (like LoL and similar games)
    LOL is not an MMO - 5v5 ONLY is not an MMO in any way
  • EightBitNinjaEightBitNinja Member UncommonPosts: 34
    edited September 2016
    So, anyone want to setup a server/group to start playing the mod? It be fun to get a bunch of people together and mess around :D Mods work too as far as I know (first MMO to be actually moddable outside the UI :D), so we'd have to decide what mods to use.

If this qualifies as a modable mmorpg, it wouldn't be the first.  Now I'm not sure if Neverwinter Nights was first to do it or not, but players ran fully modded persistent world servers back in 2002.  
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    It's a co-op mod, but in no way is it an MMO mod.  That first M in MMO stands for MASSIVELY.  There are arguments over where exactly that line is between massive and non, but nobody ever argues that anything that has less than a couple of hundred in the same game/shard/server at the same time definitely doesn't qualify to be called an MMO. (Except maybe marketing weasels, but they'll tell you the sun is blue and the moon is paper if they think they can make a buck off it.)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited September 2016
    Wonder if they fixed some of the issues this mod had years ago.

Though my top three current favorite MMOs are Online Chess, Online Monopoly and Pokémon Go.  These forums are a close fourth for being my favorite MMO.  Email is without a doubt my fifth.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    You may call a wheelbarrow a car but that doesn't make it so.

Adding multiplayer does not turn a game into a MMO even if some people call all games with online multiplayer for MMO.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Scorchien said:
    It is an MMORPG though. Leagues of legends is considered an MMO and its much smaller than this MMO mod for skyrim, many other online games are also considered MMOs. This isn't a discussion thread to discuss what an MMO is or not. There is already an active thread for that.

This is a discussion for the Skyrim MMORPG mod, not what someone considers an MMO or not.
    ummm the developers of the mod said that ... from your own link ...
    May be if they add a lobby chat before ppl join peoples 'private' games. Having 1000s in a lobby before filling up a private game can be seen leaning more towards the definition.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Its not an mmo but it is exactly what I was lookinhg for:) THANKS.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Large number of players in a story driven RPG world days are over, or their fun factor is. This is the future of RPG online gaming. RPG MMO's can't execute a great interactive story experience and retain the MMO part very well.  Great interactive RPG's for small groups to conquer is the future, especially for VR.  As online gaming communities exist outside of games already, and go to games, they're rarely formed in MMO's games themselves any more. There are so many better gaming concepts to do with mass number of players than a RPG story driven MMO.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    OG_Zorvan said:
    So Call of Duty is an MMO now? YeeHaw, I'm gonna go demand they add fishing and housing!
    Lol yes , and so are MOBAs according to some of the more dimwitted posters on this site , who's braincell is desperatley seeking a playmate..
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Don't care if it's an MMO I appreciate the link.  If it works... and thats a big IF...  I'll be happy to play it with my friends that have skyrim, as we also were NOT big ESO fans,  but hoped ESO was similar to the ES games with multiplayer included. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scorchien said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    So Call of Duty is an MMO now? YeeHaw, I'm gonna go demand they add fishing and housing!
    Lol yes , and so are MOBAs according to some of the more dimwitted posters on this site , who's braincell is desperatley seeking a playmate..
    Well, never let it be said that there is a 'village' without its very own idiot, though in terms of population, the community here is probably more of a moderately sized town than a village, i guess that just means there are plenty of job opportunities for such individuals :p

So while there are undoubtedly people out there who get confused whether League of Legends is a MOBA or not, a multiplayer mod for Skyrim could be a lot of fun, even if it only really works all that well on a Lan, its a shame really that Bethesda didn't incorporate a co-op mode for their game in the first place, perhaps for the next TES game they will consider it?
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Phry said:

So while there are undoubtedly people out there who get confused whether League of Legends is a MOBA or not, a multiplayer mod for Skyrim could be a lot of fun, even if it only really works all that well on a Lan, its a shame really that Bethesda didn't incorporate a co-op mode for their game in the first place, perhaps for the next TES game they will consider it?

Pretty much the same thing we thought about Oblivion and hoped for Skyrim. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Mawnee said:
    Phry said:

I think its fairly safe to say that most people now have the necessary bandwidth on their internet to make a co-op mode viable, certainly PC's, for the average gamer that is, have more than enough hardware capability to support it. A co-op mode would be very welcome, perhaps they think that such a thing would detract from ESO? its unlikely, but not impossible.
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Phry said:
    Mawnee said:
    Phry said:

I think its fairly safe to say that most people now have the necessary bandwidth on their internet to make a co-op mode viable, certainly PC's, for the average gamer that is, have more than enough hardware capability to support it. A co-op mode would be very welcome, perhaps they think that such a thing would detract from ESO? its unlikely, but not impossible.
    I actually feel that's exactly why Skyrim didn't have multiplayer. It was one of the most asked questions of the devs about the game pretty much from the time it was announced. "Will it have co-op?!". They knew full well the community was rabid for the feature but they were already developing ESO.