Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Popular Social Crafting MMO

JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
Are there any slow-paced, social-oriented, popular (hundreds online at peak time, minimum) MMOs out there?

I miss the old days where ATITTD or Wurm had servers brimming with players. Right now you have mediocre titles like Albion Online and their extreme grind or Tree of Life with their sub-par PvE. Or, you end up in Rust or ARK and get grieved over and over.

Need something new, please :)

Comments

• JaldrenJaldren Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Please note I am looking for a crafting-centered game, not a MMO with "good" crafting. EVE, LOTRO, GW", etc are not what I am looking for
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Watching this thread.  Hoping too see a good answer.  I'm actually looking for the same thing =)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I dont think there is one that can come remotely close to the Wurm experience you are looking to replace on the crafting side of things.

Xyson maybe but that is tiny in poplation

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Nyctelios said:
    Well, I would suggest a survival oriented game such as Salem, Ark, Minecraft. You won't find a MMORPG which sole focus is on crafting since adventuring will be always the core of the gameplay experience.

Anyway, you are really contradicting yourself - Since you are looking for a niche game... Which by it's definition is not a popular game.
    ARK and MC are not MMOs. Also, I defined what popular is. I'm happy with just 100 people
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Istaria matches some of criteria. It is slow-paced, mostly non-solo MMO. You can crafat almost anything, from bronze armour to your own house or fountain. Some kinds of recipes are loot only, so prepare to kill golem after golem, skulk after skulk. Some rare components are rare loot only.
    Well, Istaria is not much popular. Local folks are friendly, helpfull, yet there are not so many online.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Jaldren said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, I would suggest a survival oriented game such as Salem, Ark, Minecraft. You won't find a MMORPG which sole focus is on crafting since adventuring will be always the core of the gameplay experience.

Anyway, you are really contradicting yourself - Since you are looking for a niche game... Which by it's definition is not a popular game.
    ARK and MC are not MMOs. Also, I defined what popular is. I'm happy with just 100 people
    Again you contradict. 100 is not a MMO and doesn't Ark support near 100? ( or will one day?)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Jaldren said:
    Nyctelios said:

Again you contradict. 100 is not a MMO and doesn't Ark support near 100? ( or will one day?)

he didnt 'contradict' in the first place. 
    looking for a game that has 100 players on at once and is heavy on crafting might be an unrealistic expectation but its not a contradiction. A contradiction would be him explicitly stating he wants a very popular niche game, not others interpreting it as such based on extended logic.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Jaldren check out Life is Feudal , the MMO servers are in testeing but there are plenty of great Multi players with 60+ people on them ,Really deep crating game with for ex. 40,000,000 unique alchemy recipes alone ................Crafting is very deep and social ...http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/

edited September 2016
    Scorchien said:
    Jaldren check out Life is Feudal , the MMO servers are in testeing but there are plenty of great Multi players with 60+ people on them ,Really deep crating game with for ex. 40,000,000 unique alchemy recipes alone ................Crafting is very deep and social ...http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080/

good suggestion if the numbers are high.

Wurm Unlimited as well if one can find a server with that many people but he is a wurm player so i assume he knows

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited September 2016
    Life is Feudal has open world PvP just a reminder OP.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    kitarad said:
    Life is Feudal has open world PvP just a reminder OP.
    servers can set there rules and monitor this many do ...
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Going to keep an eye on this too, as I'm willing to settle in to a game like this since competitive PvP isn't something I can fit in a schedule at the moment.

I can probably suggest a few non-MMOs but I generally hate the non-centralized sever types of games that are plaguing the Steam community at the moment. Sorry, but I'm old-school enough to only call a game with 500+ people on one, perpetual world server an MMO. Everything else is just an MO game, held together by the whims of an admin.

That said, Skysaga is a decent game for a very, very casual experience. The only drawback I felt was the lack of a "massiveness" to the game since it feels like a solo game with other players jumping around here and there. It feels like a watered down version of Wurm, made for a wider, younger audience that is easier to access without the learning curve. Also not sure how the crafting/economy is in the larger picture.

Uncharted Waters Online *used to be* good. You can gain exp via trade, sailing, exploring, questing and crafting. You'd also need to craft 90% of your own gear and supplies. Personally, I feel the game went downhill as a massive Pay to Win model and they destroyed the economy with spammers, afk-ers and poor decisions for the past 5 years. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Kyleran said:
    Jaldren said:
    Nyctelios said:

Will u stop.  You get the general idea of what he's looking for.  Sounds like you're just picking a semantics fight.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Ultima online is still the best for crafting and community. Join Atlantic and Look up LLTS if you want a great community that will last you the rest of your life. They are moving into SOTA as well now but not sure of the crafting on that yet. Tell um Beaver sent You =)  If you Speak up in General chat someone will help you. Also blue books should be on the ground around most major cities with history and help for the game and info on the Guild. I will bet you have never experienced anything like it if you have the heart and Dexterity get in =)
    Thanks for your answer, guys. The search continues unfruitful.

To make it super clear, "my" (the correct?) definition of MMO was mentioned by Lerxst:

"I generally hate the non-centralized sever types of games that are plaguing the Steam community at the moment. Sorry, but I'm old-school enough to only call a game with 500+ people on one, perpetual world server an MMO. Everything else is just an MO game, held together by the whims of an admin."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Jaldren said:
    Please note I am looking for a crafting-centered game, not a MMO with "good" crafting. EVE, LOTRO, GW", etc are not what I am looking for
    GW doesn't have crafting at all.

Anyways, for some reason have most games with good crafting performed pretty badly since SWGs NGE. You might want to try Archeage but the time the servers were full are long past even there and while the crafting is better then many others I am not certain I would call it good.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    SecondLife :D
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Sorry mate but the only real choice you have is Wurm. Indie or Xanadu have 100 people easy, so you got your number "filled". LIF is private servers only and there are too many wipes, wait for a mmo before investing time there (but I have to praise its crafting, worth checking out in any case). Xsyon, despite it being brilliant in some ways, is dead (sad but true). Rest don't even come close, you named it yourself.

No one ever really leaves Wurm:) I managed to abandon EVE but Wurm... damn:)

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Ok, retrying Wurm. In parallel, I'll try to also go back to Ryzom.

Better two small communities in small games than large communities in bad games.

Thanks again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jaldren said:
    Nyctelios said:

Will u stop.  You get the general idea of what he's looking for.  Sounds like you're just picking a semantics fight.  
    I do? He describes this as the "correct" definition of a MMO as posted by @Lerxyst

"I can probably suggest a few non-MMOs but I generally hate the non-centralized sever types of games that are plaguing the Steam community at the moment. Sorry, but I'm old-school enough to only call a game with 500+ people on one, perpetual world server an MMO. Everything else is just an MO game, held together by the whims of an admin" to which I would agree BTW.

But he also stated "Also, I defined what popular is. I'm happy with just 100 people" which is more akin to ARK or Life is Feudal, both not meeting his preferred definition.

He discounts Albion Online, which has very deep crafting, but apparently is "too grindy", and EVE, which has more crafting at it's core than almost any MMORPG out there.

Appears to be a former SWG player in terms of design style, and there's nothing remotely close to that.

Or, he wants a popular WURM or ATTID, and as someone famous once said, "he's dead, Jim"

There are crafting MMORPG's out there to play, he discounts them.  There are survival and smaller cooperative online titles, out there, he discounts them.

Again, a contradiction in multiple ways.

He's asking for what doesn't (or can't) exist, and I suspect he knows it.

Oh yes, I can't be stopped....   the madness continues.... :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eyesadieyesadi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I HAVE to suggest Black Desert Online.....just have to!  Not called crafting, tho it is.....called life skills.  I've said this before.....you COULD level to soft cap without killing ANYTHING.  Just "crafting" and playing the market.  

YES.....It's marketed as an open PVP world, but, it's 100% opposite Archeage.  Perhaps because of the depth of the lifeskills and the many, many other things to do, we seem to have very few gankers lurking.

It is NOT a casual game by any stretch and to work up all your life skills would take a LONG time.  Heck, to work up one of them to guru would take a LONG time......6 ranks with 10 levels in each rank.  In each skill.

Then we factor in the housing possibilities and this game truly becomes a crafters heaven..........

Did I mention boat building?  Horse breeding?  Pet leveling?

I've played EVERY game mentioned in this thread.  I HATE, HATE, HATE PVP in any form.  Older gamer and I can't compete.

But if your looking for a game that you can play for a VERY long time, either casually or hardcore........You will thank me for this post.
  • AnthraxounetAnthraxounet Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Ultima Online (Has been already told by someone I guess) and A Tale in the Desert.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    There's also the SWG emulator.  However, I have no idea what kind of shape it's in, as far as the codebase goes.  But, it definitely had hundreds of players last time I looked(over a thousand concurrent when I last saw it).
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    eyesadi said:
    I HAVE to suggest Black Desert Online.....just have to!  Not called crafting, tho it is.....called life skills.  I've said this before.....you COULD level to soft cap without killing ANYTHING.  Just "crafting" and playing the market.  

YES.....It's marketed as an open PVP world, but, it's 100% opposite Archeage.  Perhaps because of the depth of the lifeskills and the many, many other things to do, we seem to have very few gankers lurking.

It is NOT a casual game by any stretch and to work up all your life skills would take a LONG time.  Heck, to work up one of them to guru would take a LONG time......6 ranks with 10 levels in each rank.  In each skill.

Then we factor in the housing possibilities and this game truly becomes a crafters heaven..........

Did I mention boat building?  Horse breeding?  Pet leveling?

I've played EVERY game mentioned in this thread.  I HATE, HATE, HATE PVP in any form.  Older gamer and I can't compete.

But if your looking for a game that you can play for a VERY long time, either casually or hardcore........You will thank me for this post.
    Going to hijack the thread slightly for one minute here - Had a question about BDO:

How's the economy related to crafting? I watched a "make money fast" video that used no crafting ability to make money, just selling reward-loot and fishing. Seemed cheap and easy to make decent money... so easy, that I question how one would make a living in game doing anything but that.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    If you go the Wurm route you can only raise your skills to 20 if you are f2p then you gotta pay to go above that....Just so you know.