Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried but...........

ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
BDO is a game that I tried, returned to it, tried it again and after playing around with several classes and reaching the Soft Cap and resting at 55 - 60 on each of the characters, I can finally say....

Outside of all the pretty graphics,
What is up with this game???

The first is the impression that the game is B2P. Sure, we buy the game and we play it. Fair enough... That is until the player starts hiring workers to get started with Gathering and Crafting. In BDO players hire workers and make a crafting empire. It sounds neat until one discovers that in order to enjoy BDO to its fullest, one needs to have a high end computer (which I do, running SLI) and leave the system on all night. Thanks to Anti-Cheat which feels like a Cloaked Version of GameGuard, I can't launch almost any title. I had to dedicate another computer to actually maintain on All-Night in order for my workers to finish their tasks and continue their gathering crafting when I was not playing this game on my main computer. This actually caused my Electric Bill to increase by a lot. I am meticulous to have everything in my home on surge suppressors and shut off when not in use. My washer and dryer are unplugged when not in use. The only appliances I leave on in the house 24/7 is my refrigerator and stove. 

In short, this game feels to me more P2P in the sense that its demand forces me to make sacrifices I would not make in other games. Sure, no one is asking me to play it, but all the same.... this kind of system causes an unbalance and leads to another problem with this game..

Catching up to older players: 

It is extremely difficulty to virtually impossible to catch up in Energy and Contribution Points to an old player, even after reaching soft-caps, the equipment grind is real, causing the victors in PvP usually being the oldest players with the best equipment (like in most games). This also extends to Crafting/Gathering in the way Nodes actually work, Literally this is a game that rewards players for wasting power on doing absolutely nothing but staying logged-in. Those unwilling to waste power and electricity on doing nothing get shafted as I know players who will spend their energy like clockwork on always trying to make their nodes reach high levels. 

The grinding and hack and slash is not my problem as it was expected. The graphics are pretty. The world is pretty, and I enjoyed the game, but I didn't appreciate the $20 - $30 pricetag on costumes, in which 9 out of 10 times I choose to spend that money on a new game in steam that I can play any time that I want. 

Like said... 
I enjoyed the game until one thing came clear: 

Delusion...

Like in every game out there, there are always PvP Gamers who view themselves as the highest and toughest thing since sliced bread. These people act very high and mighty and love to explain why players should actually spend the time to catch up to others in PvP. In fact its amazing the kind of holier-than-thou message coming out of their mouths. I've played many MMOs, and I am sure anyone reading this probably has to, but its sheer amazement the level of Delusion to come out of this game that I have not felt ever since my Lineage 2 and DAoC days....

Rather than be extremely subjective, I remember saying to a guild before I left this game...
"I like you guys, but lets be real here.... I prefer GW2 PvP, its far more fair." 
Response is "GW2 PvP sucks balls" 
I am like "Sure... but its eSports-Endorsed now... meaning it ranks higher than BDO PvP in the scope of the global tournament circuit"

I was being polite and those players did understand.
I remember saying "I am not in MOBA, but seriously speaking.... if your game is not certified or endorsed for tournament play, its not a serious game... and we are not alone. This is how it works in Korea, Japan, and China as well. You could play your PvP games, but no one will take you seriously as a PvP Gamer if you aren't playing a Tournament-Level Game...

Of course this is for the player who wants to be a tournament gamer. 
Its perfectly fine to want to dominate in your own PvP Game.
However, given the way PvP exists in BDO, its anything but fair...

....and no.. I am not the kind of player who always got my ass kicked and decided to start this thread. I was the opposite. I kicked ass, gathered my gear and a point came where those with higher gear kick my ass and those with lower gear get their ass kicked. Same with overpowered classes dominating the field. 

The truth of the matter is that when one builds a game for PvE and includes PvP in it, one can only focus on PvP or PvE, not both as far as character development goes. Anet was smart in knowing this in Guild Wars 1 and splitting skills into PvE versions and PvP versions to have their own separate GameTypes. BDO along with many other MMOs are in the same boat where the mantra exists of "If you aren't playing as the the most overpowered class out there, expect to be killed by that one overpowered class half the time unless you truly have a class counter for it" 

As it currently stands, 
I log in from time to time, but I have been gone. 

Due to this, my Electric Bill is down to Normal. I don't have to keep a second computer on 24/7 dedicated to one game just to have workers finish stuff. I can just play the other games that I play and I enjoy the kind of life I have now. BDO is not for everyone and basically I have become a more casual player in that game... Enjoying the world, whatever update exists and what not... and popping in from time to time.

I loved the graphics and environments, 
but I can't help but feel disappointed in certain ways to this game. 

BDO has amazing potential to become something great, but I feel that it will be ruined. 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited September 2016
     =) 
    200w.gif 685.4K
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It's so simple its ridiculous,

BDO is an Asian grinder, not much different that all Asian grinders before this !

It's been brought over to the west with a price tag and a revamped cash shop.....It's not much different from early Asian grinders such as 9 Dragons from the early 2000s.

Differences being the Koreans perfected graphics and the west perfected the cash shop.  Not much else. 

We had seen this Soooooo many times over.  Not only that, but their are many more Asian grinders still in the making.......How can anyone expect anything else ?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    actually, cash shops are WAY more effective in asia :)

those guys love p2w

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I really cannot understand people who leave characters logged in all day and incur high electricity bills. If that is way you play I'm not surprised you are leaving but then I do not PvP so I have no need to AFK anything except fishing which I only do for fun occasionally. You chose to play that way you did and perhaps you lost out on the aspects that are fun in BDO.

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    So glad I never tried that game...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    So glad I never tried that game...
    I disagree I think you lost out on a good game that I have no regret buying and playing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited September 2016
    Shinami said:

Like in every game out there, there are always PvP Gamers who view themselves as the highest and toughest thing since sliced bread. These people act very high and mighty and love to explain why players should actually spend the time to catch up to others in PvP. In fact its amazing the kind of holier-than-thou message coming out of their mouths. I've played many MMOs, and I am sure anyone reading this probably has to, but its sheer amazement the level of Delusion to come out of this game that I have not felt ever since my Lineage 2 and DAoC days....

I think that's why I like the game, it reminds me of Lineage 2.

I hate to say it but some of this is just "you".

You are basically giving people who act like this the "power" and put way to much weight on what they say and do.

There are always going to be people who are higher level and have more than you in these games. There are people who play every second they can.

You got to just ignore them and do what you can to have fun. But it's a pvp game, or at least has heavy emphasis on pvp so you are going to find this in most games with heavy pvp.

but you know what? You will find this in pve games with heavy raid content as well. Why are you going to give these people the time of day? And why let their actions and words dictate what you do? Screw them and just enjoy yourself.

These people look for validation through a video game. That should tell you something right there.

But if you let everyone who does this, whether pvp or pve dissuade you from playing any game, you will never play an mmo. There are poisonous people everywhere, you need to disassociate yourself from them, find a guild of like minded people and enjoy yourself. No matter what game you play.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo