Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can any MMO match LoL's 100M monthly players?

1235»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited September 2016
    LynxJSA said:
    Deivos said:
    Deivos said:
    Deivos said:

EDIT: Wanna "awesome" that one too, Blue?
    My behavior huh? hmm...passive aggressive indeed. ;)
    Not particularly passive. I'm more overt and call out people for shenanigans. Not rooting in the background to half-baked arguments just because they oppose someone.
      Actually your contribution to threads is largely focused on the people on the forum rather than the topic.
    Forum PvP is your game when your not playing a video game ;)
    We have a lot of people exactly like you here.
    You would rather debate than discuss.
    To each their own. Cheers! We're done
    Really?

So you can look at the post which you pulled that quote from and find no paragraph in there about what the subject was?

I debate because people provide arguments that I find disagreeable. When it changes gears away from a discussion of the subject material has consistently been in response to a change in the post which I am responding to, not as the instigation of the change itself. Like as you can see again in the post which you quoted to start this present dialogue.

In that post I had given a response that called out the point that the comparison had been given in relation to LoL and was a rhetorical argument addressing the OP's logic. That was in correction to Lynx taking the question posed in my post out of context.

Rather than address that subject, Lynx made an attack against me, which prompted my subsequent response, which only addressed him in the context of his cherry-picking and misunderstanding of context. The rest of my dialogue however can see seen that it was a restatement of my original point, a point that is in discussion of the thread's topic.

Much like how your response was not to that subject of the post, but you instead ripping what finite context out you can to make an ironic statement, and now attack me since that prior behavior has been called out.

I would be much happier to discuss the actual technical subject of a thread and it's main content, and I generally have tried to maintain some level of reference at least to it. However when people like you, lynx, and Beans now all instead take anything as an opportunity to do ad-hominem instead or persist in prior mentioned passive-aggressive behavior, it really deconstructs the ability for such to be maintained.

This is disappointing that swinging so low for the sake of ego or perhaps pride is what this turns to, to be honest.
    You asked a question, I gave an answer. I apologize if it came across as an attack to you. Is that what all this is about? 

"However when people like you, lynx, and Beans now all instead take anything as an opportunity to do ad-hominem instead or persist in prior mentioned passive-aggressive behavior..."

I think you're reading way too much into people's responses, Deivos. 
    You cherry picked a part of my post without regard to it's context and gave a response that failed to address the actual statement being made. As I said before this was the statement's original context;

"How many MOBA are even out there you'd call popular? There's really not many at all that have the legs to stand up as being reasonably profitable, and LoL still stands pretty alone in the amount of success it's garnered in that genre. It's very much an anomaly of timing and momentum carrying it from it's inception as the first strong standalone MOBA title, much like WoW's anomaly status in MMOs. To think you're going to replicate it's success by aping it is just going to leave you in debt."

I asked a "question" that was followed by it's own associated dialogue and answer tying it to the subject of the thread and LoL  success and monetization. Within that post alone it should have been abundantly clear as a result that first of all the question was rhetorical and posed as a lead in to the rest of the dialogue, and second of all it should have been clear that that paragraph was effectively answering itself.

Your "answer" took that question out of context to give a response that failed to consequently address the actual subject of the post or reality of why the question was posed, because you apparently failed to read the actual statement before flailing about that list.

So yes, that is a big part of the problem, because when people decide to respond to posts they don't even read, it causes issues and plenty of confusion.

EDIT: Speaking of passive aggressive, seems we have craft in there now. Guess y'all should start a posse?
    Post edited by Deivos on

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Did it ever occur to you that the written word without proper intonation and emphasis can have different meanings? People post and then others respond and it does not always mean they understand the original post as it was intended. I think you need to give others an allowance . 

edited September 2016
    I will agree that there are limits to what one can convey when it comes to conversational elements as it pertains to emotive/expressive dialogue and things like sarcasm. To that end I can give them an allowance for misunderstanding.

However, that question was immediately followed by a literal paragraph of it's own explanation. There wasn't a pause, there's wasn't even a break between the question and the rest of the paragraph, it was a single block of dialogue. There's no intonation necessary to understand that part. All he needed to do was read the entire post, could have done so in any accent, inflection, or intonation he wanted.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Deivos said:
    Deivos said:

EDIT: Wanna "awesome" that one too, Blue?
    My behavior huh? hmm...passive aggressive indeed. ;)
    Not particularly passive. I'm more overt and call out people for shenanigans. Not rooting in the background to half-baked arguments just because they oppose someone.
      Actually your contribution to threads is largely focused on the people on the forum rather than the topic.
    Forum PvP is your game when your not playing a video game ;)
    We have a lot of people exactly like you here.
    You would rather debate than discuss.
    To each their own. Cheers! We're done
    I totally agree with this.  I admit, i fall into this trap without knowing and I tend to catch myself too late.  Forum PVP is fun lol but can get really bad.  These days, I try to lurk as much as I can and stop myself from responding to people's comments.
    edited September 2016
    I totally agree with this.  I admit, i fall into this trap without knowing and I tend to catch myself too late.  Forum PVP is fun lol but can get really bad.  These days, I try to lurk as much as I can and stop myself from responding to people's comments.
    Prior statement, you could call it pot calling the kettle black I guess, but for the most part it'd be a case as you said. A lack of awareness.

When someone chooses to not acknowledge most of what's written in favor of a synthesized belief or a response in piecemeal to the actual context, then these kind of errors start happening.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    @Deivos I think you take things a bit too seriously and you expect some standard from others on this forum when most people merely skim these boards and 'agree',call 'insightful' or 'lol' at something without much thought. This is not a forum for thin skinned debaters and quite honestly if you're going to get upset that people do not respond logically you have to understand that many people here are not using English as their first language myself included.

Many times they might read something and come up with a totally different point of view and even though you might think you have explained it to your satisfaction it might as clear as mud to another. I really feel you taking affront about other people having different viewpoints from one instance to another and calling them out on it is not serving any purpose aside from making yourself look very petty. 

Honestly I do not understand why do you care so much about random folk arguing on an internet forum.

edited September 2016
    @kitarad

When it's simply a matter of opinion I tend to not participate in a conversation. When I have gotten "upset" it's not been from an instance of an individual disagreeing or having a different opinion, it's been generally either from;
    1. Them interjecting their opinions in lieu of fact, causing a lot of misinformation, and then repeating that misinformation until it's the only thing being seen.
    2. The repeated behavioral pattern of individuals seen across threads over time, and when that behavior is antagonistic without any reasonable excuse.
    There certainly is a lot of people that are not picking things with any overarching plot or forethought into their methods, and I really have no problem with that. However, there is the fact that people tend to act on bias consciously or passively, and that can generate a pattern of abuse the individual may not even consider themselves to be committing.

In general I don't care about the whims of most posters and their behaviors or opinions. People don't have to respond with logic-bound factual argument, but they also shouldn't be lurking about across threads taking "pot shots" whenever the opportunity arises because they feel spurned about some prior incident or otherwise. When there is a repeated trend you can watch across different threads which serves to undermine rational discussion, then it becomes a problem to me.

For example, as Lynx (Loktofeit) demonstrated again. He's not a new poster and prior habits have remained pretty clear with him presently acting in an evasive manner yet still inclined to take jabs since being called on it.

I'm fine with most things, but I don't accept such bullshit.
    Post edited by Deivos on

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Star Citizen will be out in 5 months.  They will do it easy.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Cname said:
    Netease's Fantasy Westward Journey Online, a pay-to-play only MMORPG noted by SuperData as the 2nd top grossing P2P MMO in 2016 (1st place is WoW) reached a total of 200 million registered player at 2nd September 2008 6:56am.

On June 30 2016 Netease revealed that it had over 310 million players registration for FWJO2.
    However, its all time high peak player concurrency is only 2,710,000.    

Registered players doesn't mean much. With Free to play/try games just about everyone with an interest will make an account. Consistent players logging in every month is a better indicator. Even I have my own MMO game that just went into open beta and has "Over a thousand registered players' already but maybe 50-100 log in every day.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    filmoret said:
    I'm anxious to see how that turns out. I haven't been following it, but from what I have read it's either going to go the way of Vanguard and No Man's Sky (big number out the gate, massive drop shortly thereafter) or it's going to hit big. For the devs and the players that have invested so much in this, I'm hoping for the latter. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    filmoret said:
    Would you put money on that?

I can't decide if the train wreck is going to be more entertaining, or the game itself. Of course, I don't know for sure, and if indeed it is out in 5 months, i will take a look.

However, i wouldn't bet my life savings on that it will be released in 5 months, or ever.