Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's - Most anticipated - 2007 vs 2016

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

All I see in 2016 are crowdfunded projects ( exception is Dark & Light ) ! This is sad ..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    interesting .2007 ,most anticipated 2 cancelled for sure and 2 closed.think only ones alive from that list is AoC and LOTRO
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Based on 2007 results, most anticipated MMOs have less than 30% survival rate.

Considering that, it's promising for upcoming big MMOs if they aren't listed.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    You both missed the point ! Those were big names with big studios behind them! Yes, they failed, but that's not the point! 

First, let's see how many from the Most Anticipated MMO's from 2016 at least make it to the launch day and then how much they will ...survive !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Only three had big studio's and two are still alive today. Mythic is the only big studio on that list that lost out. 

• NavalTech86NavalTech86 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    It just the fluid nature of the games industry. After the success of WoW, many developers took the risk of making an MMO, and when they failed or died after a couple / few years, these companies weren't willing to put finances to risk for something that wasn't sure. At least with crowdfunding, the developers have money from other people so they aren't personally risking capital.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited September 2016
    Well big companies realized they can't push trash down the throat of PC master race other wise we rage and bash the shit out of their games.
    And only poor but ambitious indie devs get some love from some of us ! I wish Dual Universe to be on list .
    Yea good point in latest years we didn't have Real game devs we had retarded cookie cutters that failed miserable in the struggle to take sweet piece from WOW

Founded CoE and Dual Universe cross fingers for the guys to succeed
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    More noticible to me is 2007 list of Highest Rnaked , is better than 2016 Highest ranked ... ... progress my arse
    It's been, how much? 3 years since no big studio has released or worked on a MMO ? At least back in the day's , even if they failed , they tried ! We had big expectations from them, now what we have? Some crowdfunded project which from statistics , only 50% will see the light of the day ? And let's not talk about the polish of those crowdfunded MMO's , or the graphics .. pf !

Making a comparation from 2004 to 2009 , we had some good, very good MMO's and that is in only 5 years! What we had/have from 2010 to  2016 ? Nothing really ..

Scorchien said:
    More noticible to me is 2007 list of Highest Rnaked , is better than 2016 Highest ranked ... ... progress my arse
    Exactly !

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    IceAge said:
    It's been, how much? 3 years since no big studio has released or worked on a MMO ?
    That's only if you don't count NCSoft (Lineage Eternal), Carbine (Wildstar), Blizzard (Titan), Sony Online Entertainment (Everquest Next), CCP (World of Darkness), XL Games (ArcheAge, Civilization Online), Smilegate (Lost Ark Online), Trion (Trove), Bluehole (Devilian), NetEase (Revelation Online), Allods Team (Skyforge), Ivory Tower (The Crew), Cloud Imperium Games (Star Citizen), and Pearl Abyss (Black Desert).

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Vrika said:
    IceAge said:
    It's been, how much? 3 years since no big studio has released or worked on a MMO ?
    That's only if you don't count NCSoft (Lineage Eternal), Carbine (Wildstar), Blizzard (Titan), Sony Online Entertainment (Everquest Next), CCP (World of Darkness), XL Games (ArcheAge, Civilization Online), Smilegate (Lost Ark Online), Trion (Trove), Bluehole (Devilian), NetEase (Revelation Online), Allods Team (Skyforge), Ivory Tower (The Crew), Cloud Imperium Games (Star Citizen), and Pearl Abyss (Black Desert).
    Charming list

SOE doesn't exist anymore and Everquest Next was cancelled.
    Blizzard cancelled Titan (happened probably more than 3 years ago too considering that team made Overwatch).
    CCP cancelled World of Darkness.
    Wildstar and Carbine are on artificial life support.
    CIG and Star Citizen are purely crowdfunded which is usually not considered "big studio" material.
    Ivory Tower made a single game (The Crew) and I'm not sure I would label that a MMO.
    Everything else but Trion are Asian studios.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    What's interesting is that the hype levels in 2007 were between 7.2 and 7.0 and in 2016 the hype levels are between 8.4 and 8.0 .

Yeah, I am sure that's going to turn out well. :pleased:

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    azarhal said:
    Vrika said:
    IceAge said:
    Charming list

SOE doesn't exist anymore and Everquest Next was cancelled.
    Blizzard cancelled Titan (happened probably more than 3 years ago too considering that team made Overwatch).
    CCP cancelled World of Darkness.
    Wildstar and Carbine are on artificial life support.
    CIG and Star Citizen are purely crowdfunded which is usually not considered "big studio" material.
    Ivory Tower made a single game (The Crew) and I'm not sure I would label that a MMO.
    Everything else but Trion are Asian studios.
    yea that list is a hot mess and barley worth mentioning at all
  • modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Came here expecting Dark & Light to be on both for some reason.  Shame it wasn't 2006 vs 2016, it could have happened.
    Vrika said:
    IceAge said:
    The only games from .. your list which is worth mentioning it is Lineage Eternal & Lost Ark. 

Carbine's Wildstar is the last MMO released from a big studio ! 

Archeage?! We had games released as Archeage back in the days like a dozen each year and now we count it as a "big name"?! 

Titan , Next , WoD = Canceled 

Trove :|

Devilian ............................

Revelation Online first time I heard about this game was few weeks ago ! Don't know about it so that means a lot . 

Skyforge , are you serious?

The Crew, is this a MMO ?! 

Oh the almighty Star Citizen! I remember back in the days, we had something like this ( in terms of ...years ) and it's called ....Darkfall .

So, beside Wildstar and Black Desert , what we had/have ? And that is in the last 3 years! 3 ! Everything else , we had plenty of them back in the days,  beside the big names! 

• TeccaTecca Member UncommonPosts: 45
    IceAge said:
    You guys need to realize he put that list there because of the above. Big studios have worked on MMOs in the past three years. They simply haven't done well, just like in the past. He never mentioned any of them being successful. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well, given that list, I don't see how the current slew of crowdfunded MMOs could possibly do worse.
    ----
    -AOC was in an alpha state when it launched.
    -Vanguard in the same boat as AOC.
    -Stargate never even released, did it?
    -Gods and Heroes was cancelled in beta(or just after launch), revived, and cancelled again, if I remember correctly...
    -WAR was, in fact, way worse than any new indie game will be.  That game hyped more and delivered less than most other games.
    -Spellborn makes me a bit sad.  I had high hopes for it, but I would call this an under-funded Indie game.  Very obscure title with some neat ideas and a pretty cool art style.
    -LOTRO is probably the only game that truly could be considered a success, out of the lot.

To be honest, I would say that Stargate, G&H, Spellborn, and Vanguard were not "big name studios" or anything, though.  Vanguard had some celebrity, but even it was a new studio.

LOTRO, AOC, and WAR had well-established studios with prior MMO experience, though.  So, they are legitimate points.

But, yeah, as to the OP point, the big money from investors isn't behind anyone anymore.  Probably because of games like the ones on that old list, heh.  They were such abysmal failures that the investors started viewing "MMO" as a giant warning label.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Rhoklaw said:
    Actually, the reason AAA studios fail is because they don't know what the hell they are doing half the time. They make games according to market research and investors which usually ends up being a complete failure. Gamers don't want 50 clones of World of Warcraft with a different skin and guess what, we got a shit ton of WoW clones. Just because AAA games have talent and finances doesn't mean they are guaranteed a successful game. City of Heroes shouldn't of even been canceled but they shut it down because even though it was still making a profit, it wasn't enough. So fuck AAA studios and their greedy investors.
    Well, to be fair, the particular games in that OP list weren't really WoW clones, at all.  Several of them were trying to do entirely different things.
    But, as I mentioned in my last post, half of those on the list weren't AAA studios with investors either, so that doesn't really nullify your point :tongue: and I do agree for the most part with what you are saying about the trend-following.
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I stopped playing archeage but it definitely has features that aren't like tons of other games. Other than that I tend to agree.  I think the increased enthusiasm for products that have next to zero to show for it is due to a huge increase in the use of legal drugs.  Courtesy of our favorite corporate shill pusher, the FDA.  
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    MMORPGs fail today because they try to be everything to everyone right out of the gate.
    Don't forget the consumer who also expects the game to be everything they alone desire, other be damned.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    well, considering how pre-crowdfunded did, maybe it's time to give them the mike for a while.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I wonder, where was Legion on that list before it released?

Or is the In Development MMO's ommiting those for MMO's with some sort of early access?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    What that info tells us is we havent really learned anything in 9 years......
    mgilbrtsn said:
    well, considering how pre-crowdfunded did, maybe it's time to give them the mike for a while.
    While I would love to give them the "mike" for awhile , I cannot, due to the fact that none, and I repeat , none has shown to be worth it! Yes, from my point of view and I don't see that to be changed anytime soon !

All I am saying is that back in the days, big studios invested in MMO's and we did support them with hundred of thousands of pre-orders before releasing ( Aoc, War .. ) ! They failed , but not because of the players, but because of dev's ! They tried and now, they started to turn their back on us, even if we are still *here* and looking for a GOOD MMo. 

Now don't tell me that crowdfunded projects will do better then them with ... a very tiny budget compared to those I said earlier. 

I .. blame the phones! Not the phones in particularly ! The dev's started to turn their face on a new market and milking the shit out of it with poor games. They are doing with the games on mobile what they did with MMO's ! There are A LOT of games on mobile ! Those so called good games! Maybe they are good, but the P2W is so fucking bad, that makes P2W PC MMO's looks like P2P. They took the route of the world , meaning build fast and milk faster ! There are more "Castle X games" on mobile , then there are active MMO's on the market. 

I don't know what the fuck I am talking about, but I am just pissed off with this "market" and how things evolved. 

PC's will go nowhere, MMO players are still here , in fact, a lot more then before ! Plus .. those, which are not familiar with them BUT , if a MMO is released and is good ( just like WoW ) , they will be interested in trying and playing it , because word of mouth is way better those days.

I .. don't want to say it, but I am afraid MMO's will become a very niche market! Signs are there. The most important is that big studios has stopped creating MMO's. When that happened, Indie studios showed up, trying to come in because they see some opportunities. And it will stay that way in the end. There will be some exceptions like NcSoft now with their Lineage Eternal and some Asian studios , but that will be it. 

Sad, because I saw a lot of opportunities for MMO's when I was younger. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    The days of big budget MMO's are just about over.  With SWTOR and Wildstar failing (yes TOR managed to pull out of their nose dive with F2P) investors dont want to sink 75+ million into an MMO. 

You see, today's list is so full of crowd-funded projects because investors are much harder to find for MMO's but the developers have found a new source of funding, gullible players who are more than happy to foot the bill while being told about features that wont even make it into the game assuming the game even launches. 

The game industry is very different from other industries, they have figured out that they can flat out lie about features and get away with it.  They can change the terms of service to say they dont even have to make a game and still get to keep your money.  Players dont take legal action when a game fails to live up to the marketed features so players are the ultimate source of revenue. 

Why have fatcat investors who hold you to your word and launch timeline when you can get the players to foot the bill while allowing you to do anything you want?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Western mmo's are mostly crowd funded now, only in Asia crowd funded hasn't taken over. The reason is mmo's in Asia are way cheaper to make than the west.