Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Homicide suing Steam users and subpoenaes Valve for their personal details

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    This is such a first world TOP importance news ...."and thats why I secretly hate western culture . It's corrupted and rotten to the bone structure ......and they dare to say Soviets where corrupt ...( and buy the way today liberals have nothing common with commie of that time as some Americans propagandize )
    If you don't want to read gaming news then why are you on a gaming site?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    I had some teachers give me bad grades on papers back in grade school and college.  I always knew I should have sued those fuckers.
    Lemme guess, one of them is Jim Sterling, right?

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I own Dungeouns of Kragmor it's such an awesome, immersive game with ton's of things to do it pwns WoW in anyday even better than guildwars and it has so many players!!!!!11
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    edited September 2016
    You can't make this stuff up.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited September 2016
    Such petulant kids these developers. Surely reviews that give honest opinions cannot be sued upon otherwise the deluge would be unmanageable.
    Chamber of Chains
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Peoples crowd funding money hard at work lol.  Since you need  a case to actually win a lawsuit or you need to frivolously sue someone who doesn't have allot of money in order to settle for any smaller amount of money., these guys are dead meat.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I think when people write a review for a game it should be about the game and not the company

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2016
    So, to show how important DH is in the gaming industry, lets turn this into a jim sterling thread.

With another crappy looking game that the dev is complaining at sterling about.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Albatroes said:
    So, to show how important DH is in the gaming industry, lets turn this into a jim sterling thread.

With another crappy looking game that the dev is complaining at sterling about.
    I had never heard of this company before today and I just have to say...
    These clowns are pure comedy gold.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I don't know who DH is and I really don't care. Anyone can sue someone, but not eveyone can win that suit. This seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Talonsin said:
    It looks like they have sold over a million various games on steam.  I doubt they will just walk away from their money making machine.  How long do you think it will be before they come back under a new company name? 
    a million for the crap they make?  how sad
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    They must be liberal. Always blaming someone else and not their own self!
    Do you take responsibility for saying this dumb sh#%?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2016
    Mendel said:
    $18 million personal injury lawsuit?  Why does this smell frivolous?
    Yeah trying to claim or sue of personal injury based on game opinions..haha good luck.

So he has the burden of PROOF that there was some form of personal injury here.

What bothers me is that some judge allowed this to happen,however reading law states that although these types of suits are likely to be thrown out,the law simply allows the plaintiffs to "have their day in court".
    However there is a very good possibility that the courts will file a fine/suit against the plaintiff ,claiming it was a frivolous attempt to silence critics.
    I saw one such post that said something to the effect of  go kill yourself or someone should go kill themselves,however i do not think it was a direct attack but more so a comment directed at the business and no individual.

None the less,there are 100!!!! persons being called into court,so imo this most definitely ends with Digital Homicide being fined for court costs on ALL defendants costs.
    I should make note that Steam has sided with the defendants by removing all DH games,so it really does not look good.They will lose their business and lose tons of money as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Anyone can file a suit . No one checks the filing so it only gets scrutinized when either an action to dismiss it or it goes to trial comes about. Well I hope they get penalized for their frivolity.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Wizardry said:
    Mendel said:
    $18 million personal injury lawsuit?  Why does this smell frivolous?
    Yeah trying to claim or sue of personal injury based on game opinions..haha good luck.

So he has the burden of PROOF that there was some form of personal injury here.

What bothers me is that some judge allowed this to happen,however reading law states that although these types of suits are likely to be thrown out,the law simply allows the plaintiffs to "have their day in court".
    However there is a very good possibility that the courts will file a fine/suit against the plaintiff ,claiming it was a frivolous attempt to silence critics.
    I saw one such post that said something to the effect of  go kill yourself or someone should go kill themselves,however i do not think it was a direct attack but more so a comment directed at the business and no individual.

None the less,there are 100!!!! persons being called into court,so imo this most definitely ends with Digital Homicide being fined for court costs on ALL defendants costs.
    I should make note that Steam has sided with the defendants by removing all DH games,so it really does not look good.They will lose their business and lose tons of money as well.
    FYI for everyone.

Its a question of 'Defamation of Character'
    http://thelawdictionary.org/article/how-do-you-prove-a-defamation-of-character-claim/

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Hmmm, after watching all that I feel that those devs should be charged, or jailed. They are obviously scam artists.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This is just ridiculous.  Any judge or lawyer who would actually would go through with this lawsuit should be disbarred immediately.  These morons need to get a job at mckey Ds because no one is going to buy their terrible games.  Let alone hire them into a new company.
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited September 2016
    From what I can gather, this probably is a frivolous lawsuit. But just to play devil's advocate for a moment, are you guys saying that developers and corporations always cheat and steal. And that what anonymous bloggers and reviewers say is always the truth? What if a claim goes beyond someone merely expressing an opinion, but to making outright false representations. You don't think that could actually financially hurt the company on the receiving end of them?
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Pynda said:
     are you guys saying that developers and corporations always cheat and steal. And that what anonymous bloggers and reviewers say is always the truth? 
    No, no one is saying that.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think when people write a review for a game it should be about the game and not the company
    SEANMCAD said:

FYI for everyone.

Its a question of 'Defamation of Character'
    http://thelawdictionary.org/article/how-do-you-prove-a-defamation-of-character-claim/

I think you are wrong. If it was untrue maybe, but the issues people have are a reality. Places like Angie's List, Yelp, BBB and Trip Advisor exist for a reason. If someone wants to help other consumers keep from getting duped or their hard earned money by greedy companies profiteering off shady practices and their concerns are valid; then by all means it should hold up.

It will be interesting to watch eitherway.

Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    These guys are a joke, their games are a joke and what they're trying to do is the biggest joke of the three. They win the idiot of the day award, but thats all they'll be winning.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    [edit for space]
    God DAMN, what balls!

Am I not understanding things, or are these guys suing people for giving a bad review of the game?
    No, they are not sueing for bad reviews of the game, they are sueing for threats to their life and business.  And malice directed towards them in a public forum.

Words like "I will beat you down", "I hope you die in a fiery car crash", and "you're a thief" only prove malice on the part of the 100 Steam users.  The list of unprotected (Not Free) speech is long, and potentially damaging.  The users may be held financially responsible for their share of the $18 million dollars.

YouTube is defending Jim Sterling, so he should be safe.  No one is defending the 100 Steam users in the personal injury suit.  They will be fighting for their own skin, and without proper representation they will probably lose.  Why?  The individual's free speech is not as protected as the corporation's free speech (Jim Sterling & YouTube).  Jim chose words that don't reflect animosity, so he should be safe.

How will this change Steam?  Steam may stop allowing unmoderated comments.  I don't believe they will start moderating, I think they will simply do away with user reviews.  Only reviewers that prove liability insurance will get a voice.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2016
    Like I said, this will be interesting. Read the comments section on this article fyi

Chris Wing Sanji Himura3 days ago
    • What?? Hahaahha I'm on the list yay!! Butt hurt James can come at me all he wants. What's he gonna do take away my $30K in student loan debt or the apartment I rent? Hahha I ain't got shit bitch but the wet nuts hanging between my knees for yall to suck.

Connor, This is DemonSwordGames.
    I am actually the person on the top of their 'to sue' list.

I quite literally did none of the things they are accusing me of.

In fact I am somewhat unique (I think) because I am a developer.
    For some reason, Digihom thinks I compete with them, but my only game isnt even truly on the market yet...

I actually have evidence of them harassing ME and behaving in a threatening manner towards ME lol
    I would like to share my testimony and evidence.

In response to those who replied -
    I agree, but Ive done nothing wrong at all. I am prepared to discuss the checkered history and why they may be targeting me though.

Thanks for your concern I appreciated it :)

linkage   http://mmofallout.com/james-romine-subpoenas-valve-for-steam-user-details/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Uhm. Idk what to say, rofl.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited September 2016
    If you use the internet and participate in a lot of forums. People telling you to go die is common. It is unreasonable to expect one to be shocked unless you are a complete novice. For anyone to actually take such behaviour seriously you might need to show more than just these comments on Steam. You have to have a reasonable expectation to be in imminent danger from this person . Doubt common variety of threats used which has become commonplace will qualify. Look at how people abuse you during an LoL game. Game developers should be more than familiar with this behaviour.

It's quite different than when someone stalks you and sends you threats in the mail and through the phone. This type of forum bashing is common and hardly anyone takes it seriously . Not excusing the behaviour or language .

Look at Smedley they even threatened his family but it all came to naught when he tried to take some action against the perpetrators. Instead they DDOS the company he was working for.

While I might agree that wishing death and loss of limbs and so on is despicable this terrible behaviour coupled with anonymity has given people the licence to behave horribly. Saying things they would never utter in front of the real person.
    Chamber of Chains