Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back....to WoD?

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
Hey everyone, i need some opinions here!

I quit WoW one month into WoD, because after i went through all it's hoops with my main i realized that getting my beloved alts up, i would have to go through garrisons and all the chores again and again.

Now Legion got me interested, but i'm hesitating to spend around 45Eur (xpack + sub) only to perhaps get hit by burnout within a few days. And i would be stuck with only one lvl100 to go into the new xpack with.

So i thought that with so many alts to bring up i could just re-sub, play some characters to 100, get my professions in shape and sort of "prepare" my account before buying Legion right away.
If it is still fun in say 3-4 weeks, i can still buy Legion at any time -but at that point i'd have more than just my current main to chose from. And i already saw some of the new class' stuff.
If i get bored, i only invested 12,99Eur.

What do you think?

Comments

• StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I'd just go ahead and get Legion man. You get a free 100 boost with Legion as well, so you can have 2 100's. Legion isn't at all alt-friendly either, and really encourages you to focus on one character. If I was in your shoes, I know if I tried what you're doing, I'd burn out quick and never really get to experience Legion (which all in all, is a decent x-pac worth seeing)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    If you like playing alts then you might want to check out how artifacts work.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Legion is literally 10x's better than WoD.
    It's worth it.
  • evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Theres 0 point in levelling your alt to 100 cause once you get your main to max, you literally had 0 time to focus on em unless you dont mind falling behind in item level.

Why do i say so?

Rotating between world quests, grinding reps, unlocking profession recipes, getting mythic gear, gd luck in focusing on your alt unless you're a hindu goddess with ten hands.

What i can honestly tell you is this, you WONT run out of anything to do.

The only advice i can give you is... Just play a class that has a heal/tank offspec so you can skip the atrocious dps 5 man ques(up to 57 min sometimes).
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2016
    I'd wait on wow all together. People are honestly just caught up in the honey moon phase of wow. Within 6 months, they'll probably increase heirloom levels making leveling alts pretty much done in a day as a casual since you can pretty much get it done in 2. Enough people will probably complain about artifact power taking too long to get decent levels and blizzard will probably make the gain faster by then as well.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    evdaez said:
    Theres 0 point in levelling your alt to 100 cause once you get your main to max, you literally had 0 time to focus on em unless you dont mind falling behind in item level.

Why do i say so?

Rotating between world quests, grinding reps, unlocking profession recipes, getting mythic gear, gd luck in focusing on your alt unless you're a hindu goddess with ten hands.

What i can honestly tell you is this, you WONT run out of anything to do.

The only advice i can give you is... Just play a class that has a heal/tank offspec so you can skip the atrocious dps 5 man ques(up to 57 min sometimes).
    This.

Forget WoD, get Legion, boost your favorite character with off spec healing / tanking and gogogo. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If you enjoy playing your alts and leveling up professions then you can do that very easily in WoD. Crafted items from all expansions now sell well in the AH b/c of the new transmog system. You may want to consider skipping the garrison mission part though unless you have some ilvl675 followers because there are only a few rare missions that come around from time to time that gives reward worthy of the time you'll spend leveling up followers - but if you don't mind doing that then go for it.

I have Legion but am not touching for a while because like the poster above said they will most likely change a few things like artifact xp and some other things in the next few months to cater to the casual players to keep them subbed.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I bought Legion at teh last minute as I was burned out on MMOs.  I've been playing at least two hours every day since launch.  It's hitting the right spots for me, although for the first time I'm trying to farm gold by selling BS related stuff.  I do that after finish dailies.

I really like the world quest and artifact systems.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Thanks for your input everyone :)

Being an "altohealoholic" i love playing all my healers. So i guess i will wait it out until Blizzard does something about the alt situation in Legion.
    I keep reading that there is a ton to do for a main character, but i don't like being pinned down on a single healing class/style.
    After having played the game for so long, mostly the variety in playstyles (...that little that remained *sigh) is what kept it interesting for me.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Well, a lot of people say that Legion isn't alt-friendly.

It's as alt-friendly as WoW ever has been. It's a new expansion, folks are just now getting their mains up to the max iLvl possible, and raids aren't even out yet.

~If~ you choose to get into the rat race of iLvl/Raiding, then yeah, you probably want to focus on one character. But there's absolutely nothing to keep you from running around on alts if you choose to. The leveling curve isn't too bad, the class halls and artifact weapons really make alts a lot more fun than WoD Garrisons did.

Yeah, there are timesinks - grinding artifact level, reputation, etc. But they've always been in WoW, that's nothing new. If you enjoyed playing alts before, you will still enjoy it, and possibly more, with Legion.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Artifacts are a horrible grind imo. It is deceiving, because it seems fine at first during lvling. It is also partly timelocked to get any progression going after about 1% of the required Artifact power. You need to research artifact knowledge for that, and it takes weeks to get to an interesting bonus to speed up artifact progression. And if you have alts, you have to do it all over again.

Then they have this stupid thing again with instances locked behind rep grind.

The way they made professions more ' interesting and engaging' just meant they added quests. Crafted gear is still mostly useless and Inscription and Engineering , which used to have fun things, are seriously bare in terms of interestiing recipes. Then there is the mandatory dungeons you have to finish questlines for certain recipes. You cant buy them on AH now.

They even made the mission tables in class halls mandatory for your class campaign.

Anyway, Legion starts out great with awesome questing (way better then WoD quests imo), but after while feels very lineair in the way progression works.

Archeology has probably the dumbest secondary prof quests. For example : digsites stay for two (i think) weeks in the same zone and then you get a quest to complete 25! of them.

Anyway, story quests (including instances) and level scaling (despite some issues) is whats best in Legion imo. Rest is just same old timegated, or grindgated stuff.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    To those saying artifacts are horrible grinds, well they are forgetting about Artifact Research after 110. Every three days you will complete a work order that increases the amount of Artifact Knowledge you get by a certain percentage. Some of the people who were able to get to 110 day 1, are now sitting at around 400% increased AK from items. This scales to 24900% if I recall correctly.

Additionally, from the outset, you want to ensure you get your weapon the first 13 points in your artifact. This is easily done by about level 107/108 if you get the treasures as you are leveling. At that point, you can either keep going with your main spec weapon, or you can switch out to an alt spec weapon to get that the first 13 points. Of course, you need to follow a guide in order to ensure that the first 13 you spend is the competitive path. The latest thinking is that the first 13 points will keep you competitive in raiding.

Also, a big boost to the power of your artifact weapon is completing you order hall campaign, that unlocks the third relic slot on your weapon. The relics you slot into the weapon increase a single trait, but also add item levels to your weapon as well. Having three ilvl 830+ relics in your weapon significantly increases your weapons overall power.

Legion seems alt-unfriendly at first, but that friendliness increases as the expansion moves along. I've level two toons to 110 and one to 107, and my main hasn't fallen behind. I'm only averaging like two hours per day. Though I play less on weekdays and do an extended session on Saturdays.

Legion is also especially alt-friendly if you don't care about being in a realm first/world first raiding program. You can pretty much gear up decently via World Quests, Dungeons and LFR (when it launches), and have more than enough power to take on the content. The vast majority of the player base won't be bleeding edge raiders. As long as you are on a populated realm, you should be able to find a guild that suits your needs.

Just as a side note. Unlike the last few expansions, Legion actually starts at level 98, not 100. You can do the broken shores scenario and the lead up quests starting at 98, which then leads to your artifact quest, and I think that takes you from 98-99. I've seen a bunch of level 99 alts while I was leveling my hunter.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    - Artifact knowledge research can't started before lvl110.
    - To get any meaningful bonus from artifact knowledge to get past trait 13 , you have to be researching for weeks. So, this is weeks after hitting lvl110.

Until then, any artifact power consumable you come across will feel like a drop in a large bucket. (20AP in consumable from a chest, but you need 6800 for next trait).

This means that during levelling, progression for your artifact has this really nice flow. And when you hit lvl110 you hit this seemingly impossible wall where the next trait suddenly costs a silly amount. Sure, they tell you then, that artifact knowledge solves everything. It just requires you to keep subbed wait a couple of months.

Most players will be bored out of their skull with world quests before they get anywhere with their artifact, because of how slow artifact knowledge research is. And without WQ's, good luck getting enough order hall resources to progress the artifact and order hall. Many will miss getting their daily free garrison resources, I am positive about that.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    - Artifact knowledge research can't started before lvl110.
    - To get any meaningful bonus from artifact knowledge to get past trait 13 , you have to be researching for weeks. So, this is weeks after hitting lvl110.

Until then, any artifact power consumable you come across will feel like a drop in a large bucket. (20AP in consumable from a chest, but you need 6800 for next trait).

This means that during levelling, progression for your artifact has this really nice flow. And when you hit lvl110 you hit this seemingly impossible wall where the next trait suddenly costs a silly amount. Sure, they tell you then, that artifact knowledge solves everything. It just requires you to keep subbed wait a couple of months.

Most players will be bored out of their skull with world quests before they get anywhere with their artifact, because of how slow artifact knowledge research is. And without WQ's, good luck getting enough order hall resources to progress the artifact and order hall. Many will miss getting their daily free garrison resources, I am positive about that.

Those consumables that are worth 20-40 are world treasures. Yes, they are a drop in the bucket for your main weapon after you hit 13, but you can dump those into off-spec weapons and make good progress.

Additionally, the entire Suramar quest line provides good amounts of AP for your weapons, we're talking the 300-900 range as a base. The first level of artifact knowledge nets a 20-25% bonus. That would turn a 900 AP item into a 1080-1225 AP item. When you need even 10k per, that's 1/10th, which is decent progress. The Suramar questline is also very long, and will apparently have a continuation come 7.1, so you're looking at more non-world quest avenues of AP. AK builds every few days, and like I mentioned, there are people who are already at +400% AK at the moment.

Not to mention that dungeon bosses net AK items as random drops, there's no reason to think that raids won't do the same. BG wins also net AK items as well.

Finally, yes fully unlocking an artifact weapon is going to take time and dedication. Blizzard stated that fully unlocking a weapon should take the entire expansion, (this includes the hidden trait that unlocks after you have the entire weapon tree). The total cost is to the sum of like 62 million AP. I also wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard didn't add some type of an additional catch-up mechanic in patch 7.2 or later. They do have a history of providing the ability to catch up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    My tip: wait a few more weeks until the honeymoon is over, if people still loves it just get it... WoD started to loose it's charm by that time but if you would have asked anyone about WoD this time after launch they would have said it was great.

The thing is that almost all MMO fans love a new expansion just after launch but after a while you get a better judgment. Of course for many people a month of fun before the bad things kick in is still worth it but if you want more than that waiting a while longer will give you the answer...