Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Dev Log: Economy

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Yarr, thar be a new dev log available at the Pirates of the Burning Sea website. This time around, isildur lets us in on the game's economy system in an article titled: Player-Owned Economy. As usual, we have given you just enough to whet your appetite, click the link below to read the whole thing:

One of the things we've never been entirely satisfied with has been our economy. Our original plan called for a complex supply and demand model based on the nature and size of every port. While this model was sophisticated and interesting, it suffered from one minor and one major flaw. The minor flaw was that players were not as involved in the process as we would have liked; much of the activity of the economy happened 'off-stage'. The major flaw was that the system would require a small army of designers and several years to create all the content, and then the whole thing would still need tuning. For a small company, this was not an option.

So we wrote an economy that, at the time, I called the 'Simple Economy'. It was a very basic supply and demand model; the more of a good you supplied to a port, the less it wanted that good; the more of a good you bought from a port, the less of that good they would sell you. The goods were meaningless, just period labels slapped on an array of dynamic numbers. Nobody wanted 'sugar' for any particular reason; they just generically demanded it across the Caribbean. The benefit of this system was that it was easy to put into place, and could be globally tuned. The drawback, of course, is that it was boring. Even as I was writing it, I was planning the next step up.

I called that next step the 'Player-Owned Economy'. Confession time: I'm a die-hard libertarian. I looked at attempts to manage and control game economies, saw them failing, and thought 'duh, of course they fail. You can't make a planned economy work.' Games are pretty far from real life, of course, which means it isn't as simple as tossing a bunch of resources into the world and letting people sort it out, but there were still many applicable lessons to be taken.

To read the whole log, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

I have a bit mixed feelings about the "lot" system. There was a similar system in SWG and one of the larger problems with it was that it lead to things like lot swapping and even without swapping you gained a large market advantage if you had an alt or two, not because of any skills the alts possesed or what they could do ingame but because of the extra lots they provided.
    In a way it was like buying your self an ingame advantage with out of game resources.

Other than that it it seems like a great system, sort of a combination of EVE and SWG.

One question would be are there any limits to the total number of lots in a harbor or if not a limit to the total number of iron mines that can exploit a deposite? Will the the deposit ever run out and new be discoverd or are they a static resource?

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."