Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFTW - WoW Legion Sells 3.3 Million - World of Warcraft

Comments

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

zzax said:

I don't imagine how someone could play WoW and not get its newest expansion...

So basically, 3.3 Million is their total subscribers number / player base.

Um, no!

It sold 3.3 million by the first day of launch, that's pretty freaking amazing if you think of it. So I would say 3.3 million is no where near their total player base as I have had at least 10 people in my guild alone come back post launch.

I hated WoD but Legion is legit. It's the best time I have had playing WoW since Wrath.

Wow will never die but it will eventualy fade out and be forgotten..i has seen the future in my tea cup with green leafs turning to ash. :p

3.3m subies from 12 mill in total..wauw mann..just golfclaps*

What i dislike about this game is that they took all the skills and made em spec based, so you have less skill in 1 build and most constant respec/change builds because you get tired of 5 dps skill and 10 tools skills...Its just "deerp" to remove all these skills and put em in to 3 diferent builds

Again, not 3.3 million subs, 3.3 million copies of the game sold by launch. Let that soak in and stop drinking the "WoW's dead" koolaid. Just to put this in perspective both FFXIV and GW2 have sold a total of around 5 million total copies. So basically Legion prior to release sold almost as many copies as those games sold in 3 + years.

I've smashed the expansion but now I have nothing else to do other than world quests and Mythic dungeons once a week. If they don't keep up with providing regular content, people are going to get bored very very soon. 1 raid on the horizon and progressive mythic dungeons isn't going to save it. Basically you have world quests which, make no mistake, are just daily quests presented differently and dungeons.

100-110 is too quick. Artifact grind isn't very compelling..

I like the expansion but they push you through it so fast that you quickly run out of things to do.

You have smashed through the expansion? So you have all your artifact traits unlocked, you have cleared all dungeons on mythic + 12 difficulty, you have all your reps raised to past revered, all professions are 3 stars in all patterns, class campaign is done, and you are at 850 ilvl ready for raids to be released next week?

If you have really done all that you need to go out and RL a bit more. I have people in my guild that play 12 hours a day on average and they are no where close.

On a side note... People need to also stop treating the game like a race. Playing a game for 8 + hours a day is unhealthy both physically and socially. I play WoW almost everyday but I also have a full time job, a wife, a child, hobbies, etc.
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

On a side note... People need to also stop treating the game like a race. Playing a game for 8 + hours a day is unhealthy both physically and socially. I play WoW almost everyday but I also have a full time job, a wife, a child, hobbies, etc.

The other side of the issue, is where you get people sitting on a pedestal telling people the way that they are playing is "wrong".  

Look, if a guy wants to play for hours, burn thru content, that's all good and well, he's going to play the way he wants to play. The reality is that Blizzard is never going to churn out enough content for those types of players, and the complaint that there is "nothing to do" is simply going to always be used by those folks, they just won't or can't be satisfied.

Very simply, without telling people that they are playing wrong, it's easy to say that the vast majority of players are not suffering from the same "lack of content" issues, and have plenty to do. 

Baikal said:

The other side of the issue, is where you get people sitting on a pedestal telling people the way that they are playing is "wrong".  

Look, if a guy wants to play for hours, burn thru content, that's all good and well, he's going to play the way he wants to play. The reality is that Blizzard is never going to churn out enough content for those types of players, and the complaint that there is "nothing to do" is simply going to always be used by those folks, they just won't or can't be satisfied.

Very simply, without telling people that they are playing wrong, it's easy to say that the vast majority of players are not suffering from the same "lack of content" issues, and have plenty to do. 

I agree... It wasn't my intention to tell them they are playing "wrong", just simply saying that playing that much isn't really healthy.
    gervaise1 said:
    If WoW had really solved the rubber band effect though we would be in "total awe".

Blizzard's player base - mostly - is not some millions a chunk of whom drift away and then come back for an expansion; it is - mostly - a brand new player base.

Yes its reasonable to assume that some people stay subbed forever; yes its reasonable to assume that some people do return to WoW after a break when an expansion launches say.

I'm not sure I either entirely agree, or entirely disagree.

I'm also not suggesting my experience has been the "norm", but I found I've found it fairly interesting. Back in Classic WoW, there were a bunch of us who left right before TBC launched, and I was fairly confident that I had seen the last of many of those people. There were a fairly large subset of us that came back for WoTLK, and it was great to run with those folks again. Smaller groups, and e-mails went out, came back for Cataclysm, MoP, and WoD, in fact I tried at different times, but never made it past 30 days in any of those three expansions.

That said, by a large margin many more people that I ran with from Classic have come back for Legion. If 15-20 people from our "core" raid group came back for WotLK, perhaps 30 faces are back for Legion. Life is different for all those folks, and I have no idea how many will stick around post 30 days, that's another big question. 

My point is that Legion, and I do talk to other people while in game, has seemed to draw back a much larger group of former players than some of the previous expansions. I could be wrong, but I certainly heard more positives about it than I did about MoP, and WoD, at least pre-release and just after launch. 

WoW is kind of that unique bird where they normal conventions don't always apply. It's definitely a game that seems to have a habit of drawing former players back from time to time, perhaps easier than other games, simply because those former players had a ton of time invested. I can't explain it, and normally I would agree with your assessment, that most games tend to refresh their player base fairly often, but WoW? Eh....yes and no...new players, and people cycling back and forth both probably make up a healthy percentage. One reason that  they've always had the subscriber numbers perhaps....

I agree... It wasn't my intention to tell them they are playing "wrong", just simply saying that playing that much isn't really healthy.

I'm sure they took your suggestion as such....
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    CrazKanuk said:
    Wow will never die but it will eventualy fade out and be forgotten..i has seen the future in my tea cup with green leafs turning to ash. :p

What i dislike about this game is that they took all the skills and made em spec based, so you have less skill in 1 build and most constant respec/change builds because you get tired of 5 dps skill and 10 tools skills...Its just "deerp" to remove all these skills and put em in to 3 diferent builds

Obviously your tea cup is providing you with all the wrong stats. WoW is well over 3.3 million subs still. That was just the number of sales within 24 hours of release. 
    The number according to Blizzards press release  included pre-orders. If I were a betting man I'd say WoW has about 7 million subs currently.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:

CrazKanuk said:

Obviously your tea cup is providing you with all the wrong stats. WoW is well over 3.3 million subs still. That was just the number of sales within 24 hours of release. 

The number according to Blizzards press release  included pre-orders. If I were a betting man I'd say WoW has about 7 million subs currently.

Sounds reasonable... give or take some.

Honestly, all I can say is if you once played WoW and enjoyed it, it's definitely worth checking out again.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Baikal said:

gervaise1 said:

If WoW had really solved the rubber band effect though we would be in "total awe".

Blizzard's player base - mostly - is not some millions a chunk of whom drift away and then come back for an expansion; it is - mostly - a brand new player base.

Yes its reasonable to assume that some people stay subbed forever; yes its reasonable to assume that some people do return to WoW after a break when an expansion launches say.

I'm not sure I either entirely agree, or entirely disagree.

I'm also not suggesting my experience has been the "norm", but I found I've found it fairly interesting. Back in Classic WoW, there were a bunch of us who left right before TBC launched, and I was fairly confident that I had seen the last of many of those people. There were a fairly large subset of us that came back for WoTLK, and it was great to run with those folks again. Smaller groups, and e-mails went out, came back for Cataclysm, MoP, and WoD, in fact I tried at different times, but never made it past 30 days in any of those three expansions.

That said, by a large margin many more people that I ran with from Classic have come back for Legion. If 15-20 people from our "core" raid group came back for WotLK, perhaps 30 faces are back for Legion. Life is different for all those folks, and I have no idea how many will stick around post 30 days, that's another big question. 

My point is that Legion, and I do talk to other people while in game, has seemed to draw back a much larger group of former players than some of the previous expansions. I could be wrong, but I certainly heard more positives about it than I did about MoP, and WoD, at least pre-release and just after launch. 

WoW is kind of that unique bird where they normal conventions don't always apply. It's definitely a game that seems to have a habit of drawing former players back from time to time, perhaps easier than other games, simply because those former players had a ton of time invested. I can't explain it, and normally I would agree with your assessment, that most games tend to refresh their player base fairly often, but WoW? Eh....yes and no...new players, and people cycling back and forth both probably make up a healthy percentage. One reason that  they've always had the subscriber numbers perhaps....

What you are suggesting though - that "huge" numbers from the past have returned - is that "many" current players have given Legion a pass. Maybe they have - probably not though.

You can paint all sorts of possible scenarios. "3M" people (say) bought WoW when it launched and they are still subbed, 3M that left but have come back for each expansion. As for the rest - all 94M+ of them - they bought the game and dumped it within months never to return. At an average sub loss of getting on for 10M a year.

Likely?

More likely - I suggest - is that each years "intake" has a retention curve if you like - with a long tail. Put them all together and you get the historic graph. And each intake includes a percentage of returnees - people who have been away for 1, 3, 5 or even 10 years. A declining percentage as the number of years since last played increased.

For at the end of the day you - somehow - have to shoehorn 100M+ into WoW's 11 nearly 12 years.

My experience of the hype, btw, is that its a lot less than for WoD. Globally though hard to say. However there has been the film. Did it tug on some of your "old circle" of friends heart strings maybe?
    Here is what I know for sure...

The game is bumping! Open world PvP is a real thing again and that's a good sign. With blizz finally implementing a proper tagging system people are helping each other and the game feels healthier than it has in a long time. I am talking like pre-wrath.

Whether wow had 3.5 million active subs or 10 million we may never know as blizz has stopped publishing sub info. Anyway you slice it there are more people playing WoW than just about any other MMO and the game is much improved. I don't expect you will see the same drop off that you did for WoD as we are two weeks into the expansion and I haven't even touched an alt and probably wont do so for a few more weeks. There is just too much to do, which is a good thing.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Correct me if I'm wrong the original subscribers base was around 5.2 pre-order sales or sales of legion was only 3.3 so I assume that no new subscribers ?? the peak of WOW was WOTLK at 12.7 then has been spiraling downwards since I am one of those that did buy I have always wanted to see with my own eyes and I can truly say I wasted my bucks again and let my sub run out. I realize there r those that will champion this game but there are to many similarities with WOD and Believe not any one play never winter?? very much like when u zone in to the druids to do your dailys
    Smintar said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong the original subscribers base was around 5.2 pre-order sales or sales of legion was only 3.3 so I assume that no new subscribers ?? the peak of WOW was WOTLK at 12.7 then has been spiraling downwards since I am one of those that did buy I have always wanted to see with my own eyes and I can truly say I wasted my bucks again and let my sub run out. I realize there r those that will champion this game but there are to many similarities with WOD and Believe not any one play never winter?? very much like when u zone in to the druids to do your dailys
    If this information is accurate:

"Warlords of Draenor sold over 3.3 million copies within the first 24 hours, and subscription numbers increased from 7.4 million to over 10.5 million. However, by the end of the first quarter of 2015, the number of subscribers had already fallen to 7.1 million; 300,000 subscribers fewer than before the release of Warlords of Draenor. By the end of the second quarter, the number of subscribers dropped to 5.6 million, the lowest number of subscribers ever seen in the game since 2005. By the third quarter, subscribers held at 5.5 million. In November 2015, Blizzard said it will no longer report on the number of World of Warcraft subscribers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Warlords_of_Draenor

laserit said:
    I would find this guesstimate to be quite plausible.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    laserit said:
    Smintar said:

"Warlords of Draenor sold over 3.3 million copies within the first 24 hours, and subscription numbers increased from 7.4 million to over 10.5 million. However, by the end of the first quarter of 2015, the number of subscribers had already fallen to 7.1 million; 300,000 subscribers fewer than before the release of Warlords of Draenor. By the end of the second quarter, the number of subscribers dropped to 5.6 million, the lowest number of subscribers ever seen in the game since 2005. By the third quarter, subscribers held at 5.5 million. In November 2015, Blizzard said it will no longer report on the number of World of Warcraft subscribers."

That source gave me a good chuckle.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Mitara said:
    Will WoW ever die?
    In 15 years.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    They got three new subs from my family.  My young boys are having a blast with Legion so I had to join them.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

intrinsc said:
    laserit said:
    Smintar said:

That source gave me a good chuckle.
    Why?

Seems quite verifiable: 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-20-warlords-of-draenor-sales-take-wow-subs-back-up-over-10-million

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749036316

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/11/19/world-of-warcraft-tops-10-million-subscribers-following-warlords-of-draenor-expansion/#4a25b645668c

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276601/number-of-world-of-warcraft-subscribers-by-quarter/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-04-blizzard-wont-report-world-of-warcraft-subscriber-numbers-anymore

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/08/05/world-of-warcraft-has-lost-44-of-its-subscribers-in-six-months-but-thats-okay/#c884d2f74e59

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    @laserit posted:
    "Why?
    Seems quite verifiable: "

You missed the main source - the one that all the other "sources" used: Activision Blizzard's quarterly financial SEC reports - they are online for anyone to look up.

After reporting 5.5M subscribers they stopped reporting the number of subs but the following quarter they did report how much WoW earned. A healthy sum but 16% down on the previous quarter - so an estimate of 2015 Q4 would be 16% lower or 4.8M.

The next quarter they stopped reporting WoW's income but did report Blizzard's income which was down twenty odd percent. No new Blizzard games launched so a simple pro-rata estimate for WoW's 2016 Q1 subs was about 3.8M. Blizzard did say though that Hearthstone had seen huge growth though ..... so WoW might have fallen further.

Pre xpac release subs have sometimes taken a bounce. Legion got 500k. So .... 4.3M maybe? And now?

We won't know going forward. Overwatch will obscure the contribution that WoW makes to Blizzard in the short and medium term.

All we know is that - as per the quality Blizzard press release - that Legion has sold 3.3M copies. The end.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Lol I agree with the above the haters are livid.

Mad because WOW is still going strong, mad because people are still having fun playing the game.

There are some mmo I don't like but wishing an mmo would die because you don't like it is pretty pathetic.

Poor little haters.

My numpty of a husband just HATES this game and anything to do with it. But he's also the type of guy who won't play something that over 100 people play. It's driving me crazy, I think the changes look great and I'm enthusiastic about it, and just having this sour puss around making fun of it all the time is just uncool
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Lol I agree with the above the haters are livid.

Mad because WOW is still going strong, mad because people are still having fun playing the game.

There are some mmo I don't like but wishing an mmo would die because you don't like it is pretty pathetic. Poor little haters.
    Have you ever read your own posts about ESO?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    xNIAx1 said:
    McDonald's sells 3.3 million hamburgers in a single day, doesn't make it good. WoW is basically dead and it's literally being milked. Blizzard needs to make a world of diablo or something.
    You don't see how silly your comparison is? Certainly selling 3 million burgers a day is successful. Why would you compare WoW to that and then say WoW is basically dead?
  • subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    It has nothing to do with people coming back because it is another WoW expansion.

1 week after u hit 100 in WoD u were already depressed, sitting in your garisson doing nothing.

Legion is so much better in many ways, and in contrast with Draenor it rewards the player according to the time he spents on the game, from artifacts to heroics/mythics to class hole quests/proff quests.

I have spent quite a decent amount of time so far and still there are so many things to be done.And first raid is around the corner. Deffo a better expansion tthan WoD, someone who has played wow since day 1 can easily recognise that even at this early stages of legion
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    give it two months will be back to 1mil or less active
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I'll just work on my archaeology since I been planning to get around to it for years now.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    xNIAx1 said:
    McDonald's sells 3.3 million hamburgers in a single day, doesn't make it good. WoW is basically dead and it's literally being milked. Blizzard needs to make a world of diablo or something.
    Actually, the number is 6,48 million hamburgers, so it is almost twice as much. Wow isn't basically dead but neither is it what it once was. Legion isn't going to turn the cycle but it might slow things down.

A new MMO is one solution, another is to actually put more money and effort into the game. More updates, larger expansions, more work into updating the graphics and maybe a revamp of the levels (like divide them with 2 for instance, Wow have way too many levels by now).

Wow can still be turned around and start gaining players again, but it will take hard work and investments. At now Blizzards seems more interested in keeping the status quo.