Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead?

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    why do I feel so insulted by the near explict ignoring of the impact of marketing.
    probably because you don't have nor have ever had information on how much developers or publishers have spent on marketing and always think that if a game does well it has to be because somebody paid half their budget to get there.

I can tell you one thing,  look at those other development studios on the global ranking list.  No matter if they spent all of their budget on marketing, they wouldn't be anywhere close to what those other developers spent. 

The Division had an Amazon Web Series.  Overwatch had several big Television commercials.  I saw NMS on ONE show as a demo  about a year ago - it was a nightly talk show - and you don't pay to be there - in many cases talk shows will pay YOU.  Nowhere even in the realm of possibility that they spent nearly as much as you think they did on marketing.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I think they should make an expansion that is focused on multiplayer. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Recore said:
    yeah but then its player base count could be compared to Elite Dangerous as well and we want to try and avoid that at all costs.

well I guess Elite being not like NMS becuase it doesnt start with the letter N is good enough

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I don't want multiplayer in my game! I would avoid that Xpac I think.
     I just like me some Tangerine Dream or Alan Parsons Project and just me and my ship and the great beyond!
    I agree with you at least on that part.

Just dont agree that a game that has MP cant be compared to one that doesnt when it comes to things not related to either. but that is a different topic I guess

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    SEANMCAD said:
    I don't want multiplayer in my game! I would avoid that Xpac I think.
     I just like me some Tangerine Dream or Alan Parsons Project and just me and my ship and the great beyond!
    I agree with you at least on that part.

Just dont agree that a game that has MP cant be compared to one that doesnt when it comes to things not related to either. but that is a different topic I guess
    I will say, NMS is good for 1 thing.
    GF aggro its bought me tons of time to play WoW Legion, Darkfall, and GTA 5
    I pop on NMS she gets her ship funny animals eyes of wonder (because she didnt look forward or know what it was to be so she loves the freedom and simplicity) Where i just want more and a MMO experiance i was promised as well as the civilzation expack that would have came if multiplayer wouldnt have been hotair bullshit.

But for her exploring goofy animals and all that shit, its all she needs lol.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Yep as Savage stated it is, once again, one of the top ten PS4 games sold last week. It has not fallen beyond the top 12 in consoles sales since release. I play it still through GOG so I don't follow the Steam numbers.

Not sure what an online multiplayer game like 7 Days to Die has to do with a single player game like NMS but whatever. *shrug*
    Could you give me a link to where you are seeing this information.  When I go to the playstation store and look for top games I dont even see No Mans Sky in the 50. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To the poster who mentioned marketing,you are sir "paying attention".
    I have been saying this awhile now,developers have given up spending money on long term game development,instead now they spend on marketing and rush unfinished products out the door.

You see unlike THIS SITE,there are some honest streamers,they tell us straight out that they are being paid to promote their games.All those top streamers are paid by developers to promote often VERY crappy games and sadly it seems to work.I see people watching these top streamers in the thousands and many decide to buy those crappy games because of those streamers.

What i see over the entire internet seems to be a very large core of people who have NO rating systems or criteria on gaming what so ever.Instead it seems like those people just say EVERY game is good,buy all the games,buy everything don't think just spend and i find that disheartening that so many people are supporting rubbish games.
    Geesh just two days ago some poster here said he had like 4 games he bought and had yet to play,i wonder why did he buy so many games,listening to marketing hype?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

SEANMCAD said:
    why do I feel so insulted by the near explict ignoring of the impact of marketing.
    When you look at all the stories the media did on No Mans Sky starting back in 2013 based on only seeing a 2 minute video and NEVER being able to actually PLAY the game, that should tell you something about how big the marketing budget was.  I mean, this game has gotten more media coverage before release than any other game I have ever seen and all of it based on short 2 minute videos.  Sean was even on the Colbert show for goodness sake.  I could be wrong and frequently am but I dont ever remember seeing a video game story on late night TV.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    When you look at all the stories the media did on No Mans Sky starting back in 2013 based on only seeing a 2 minute video and NEVER being able to actually PLAY the game, that should tell you something about how big the marketing budget was.  I mean, this game has gotten more media coverage before release than any other game I have ever seen and all of it based on short 2 minute videos.  Sean was even on the Colbert show for goodness sake.  I could be wrong and frequently am but I dont ever remember seeing a video game story on late night TV.
    agreed! finally

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Then you don't watch late night TV.
    There is a TON of video games on late night talk shows.
    you should at least give examples. I know some hosts like to play them but I am not familar with interviews with the developers on late night TV shows that are not channels that are gaming related.

Recore said:
    They would have to release that for free because almost 98% of the people who purchased the game are no longer playing it and I am guessing would not throw any more money at Sean Murray. 

The name Sean Murray has become synonymous with false advertisement as much as the name Leroy Jenkins has to rushing in head first.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    you should at least give examples. I know some hosts like to play them but I am not familar with interviews with the developers on late night TV shows that are not channels that are gaming related.
    He said:
    "I dont ever remember seeing a video game story on late night TV"

He never said a developer

you think spiting hairs like that is helpful? you think pretending to not understand the intent of his statement is productive? think again

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

compiled by GfK Chart-Track, (All Prices) Week Ending 10 September 2016

OVERWATCH
    2. F1 2016
    3. DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED
    4. LEGO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
    5. GRAND THEFT AUTO V
    6. ROCKET LEAGUE
    7. UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END
    8. NO MAN'S SKY
    9. DOOM

Without any unit sales, how do we know what this actually means?  Not to be a butthead but when a game released just 30 days ago with a massive marketing budget can not beat sales of GTA5 which was released in Nov 2014 and Lego SW is a kids game released back in June and Rocket League barely had any marketing and all three of those are beating sales of NMS after less than 30 days of its release, what does it mean?

I'm glad you like the game and honestly you are one of the best informed people so you can not compare your expectations to the rest of the general public.  To 95% of the gaming public, this game did not represent what was advertised.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    He said:
    "I dont ever remember seeing a video game story on late night TV"

He never said a developer

you think spiting hairs like that is helpful? you think pretending to not understand the intent of his statement is productive? think again

So you are making things up and putting word into someone else's mouth and that is splitting hairs?
    Video Games are featured on a regular basis on Late Night Talk Shows. Conan even has a weekly segment dedicated to it.
    I just wish we would not continue to pretend like the marketing for NMS was not very major and had a very major impact. I wish we could just get past pretending like it has no impact so we can move on and talk about making great games instead of this insanity.

Talonsin said:
    Recore said:
    They would have to release that for free because almost 98% of the people who purchased the game are no longer playing it and I am guessing would not throw any more money at Sean Murray. 

The name Sean Murray has become synonymous with false advertisement as much as the name Leroy Jenkins has to rushing in head first.

He took that title from Peter Molyneux? Nah I don't think so.

You do realize that many gamers on this site dont even know who Molyneux was/is.  That was back in 2008.

edited September 2016
    I wish in gaming gamers as well as developers could just stop this insanity and be more honest. its rather depressing given what is possible with this technology

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    That is true, I dont watch late night TV very often.  I also meant to compare Sean Murrays appearance on Colbert to other game developers pushing their games.  In my limited late night experience, I have never seen that before.  I was surprised to see it on youtube and the first thought I had was "How much money did Sony pay to get Sean on that show?".

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다