Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playstation Now on the PC

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SlyLoK said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SlyLoK said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    what I have never really understood is having a playstation in the house, having the game in question, having played the game on said console that is in said house then getting hyped about the exact same game but that it works on PC
    Not everyone with a PC owns a console.
    however that is not the story I went to great lengths to illustrate and doesnt adddress what I said
    Actually it does since your entire story hinged on everyone having a PC and a Playstation. I just corrected you is all.
    I am sorry but my statement is in relation to people who have both. Those people do exist and my statement is in reference to them.

I would wager that most if not all in this thread are those very people and I had predicted by the way that someone would try to divert attention from my point because they dont want anyone to know that they have both
    I play Dragon's Dogma on my PC yet own it on PS3 as well, the graphics are better, controls are extremely tight with KB+M, plus I get to sit in my gaming room (where my wife and I's PCs are).. Same with Way of the Samurai 3+4 and GTA V.. I just simply prefer gaming on a PC... (if those games were available from the start on PC) I would have never bought the PS3 versions. 
    Some games are just a lot easier to play, the controls more intuitive, on PC than on Console, i just don't know why they didn't port Destiny to PC, it would have sold, and the experience for players would have been much improved.
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    I'm not sure I get the argument. There are classic books that keep getting reprinted. There are classic movies/shows that keep getting re-released with new bonus content or updates to visuals. Are games really just use-once-and-dispose? Aren't they also a consumable media that has potential to outlive its initial audience.

Why can't a fan-favorite be 'remastered' even if only to cater to the nostalgia market? How does meeting that market demand prevent other development teams from innovating or moving forward. That seems like a bit of a cop out.

Don't get me wrong: I am always interested to see new and fresh ideas, but at the same time, I've enjoyed the various Final Fantasy games that have made there way to PC and would be one of the first in line should Star Ocean make the jump. There's already been a thread about Red Dead Redemption which is, for me, a more recent 'classic' that I would welcome to my PC collection (should that release ever actually happen).

Surely, not everything should be 'remastered', but I think that practice is a bit of a misleading target for angst pertaining to lack of innovation. 
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Surprise-replace the tv and call it a present?
    MrMelGibson
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Surprise-replace the tv and call it a present?
    Why? He is apparently happy with what he has and she found a work around to suit her needs and she sounds happy with it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I use to have one of each and found myself spending a lot more money. Some games would be launched on a console first then months later on PC so I would end up with copies of the same game to see how they played on different platforms.  I ended up just using the pc, as the specs are usually higher than on consoles and pc games more likely to have mods which means longer gameplay life.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited September 2016
    If a console game comes out on console first (which is what we are talking about here with Playstation Now) then those specific games (instead of other games) are designed with controls that work better with consoles then with PC. This has always been true and in my world as a universal understanding. More over, why would console first titles not be? I wouldnt make sense.

So I think you guys are talking in abstraction and not specific to the questions of games that are console first and now I can play them on a PC because of Playstation Now and to my explicit points (for those who already have the game on console and NOT those that do not have said console). The only advantage as I can see to Playstation Now is to play console games that you can not play currently on PC. More over, the controls for the PC version in this example would not be readjusted to match the desires of PC players.

Regardless of that point, I have found one copy of a game to be more the sufficient thank you.
    mmolou

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    One last comment before I jet.

As I understand it Playstation Now as it relates to PC is taking a direct/unmodified/unimproved/unchanged version of the console game and putting it on PC. For the end user this means literally transferring the image from being on a TV to being on a PC monitor with the same or different control setup....done.

mmolou

edited September 2016
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:
    One last comment before I jet.

As I understand it Playstation Now as it relates to PC is taking a direct/unmodified/unimproved/unchanged version of the console game and putting it on PC. For the end user this means literally transferring the image from being on a TV to being on a PC monitor with the same or different control setup....done.
    You don't understand it. What PS Now does is stream the game to any platform that can run its virtual console. It's the platform original version of the game (PSx, Vita, etc). It literally means streaming the game to the software running the games. That software can run on some set top boxes, TVs, PS4, and PC. It doesn't cast the image from your TV to the PC. It streams and runs the game there.

The device your using needs to have a compatible control device attached. Thus the PS3 controller on the PC. If you really want to take advantage of the service features then a PS4 controller would be more optimal.
    that is actually basically how I am describing it.

It basically playing a Sony game on a PC monitor, nothing more added from a user experience standpoint
    mmolou

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    You can play in on tablets too. No need to own any of these games just stream and play so it's very handy for people who want to play and don't own consoles or even a PC.

kitarad said:
    You can play in on tablets too. No need to own any of these games just stream and play so it's very handy for people who want to play and don't own consoles or even a PC.
    its basically

'Game X' pick your display

yeah its in one location so you can get to it from different devices but its still the same game

So what if it is the same game. Obviously people want to play it.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    SEANMCAD said:
    kitarad said:
    its basically

'Game X' pick your display

yeah its in one location so you can get to it from different devices but its still the same game
    What are you saying though? I have PSnow, it's been pretty good. I tried it on my PS4 and my PC. Obviously it's going to be the same game, it's just streaming it from sonys servers to your device. It has nothing to do with a console or a PC for that matter. There's no difference to popping a disc into your console and playing it, other than a bit of input lag. I just don't have to go out and buy these 300 games on my ps3. That's the nice part for me. I can play Ni No Kuni on my PC if I want, without the need to own any Sony Device (even though I do, it's just a benefit for people who don't want to buy one) or having to go sit on my couch and play it on my TV, since I can be closer or multi task on my computer if I get tired of playing. Or talk to my friends on team speak. 
    MrMelGibsonRnjypsy
    edited September 2016
    kitarad said:
    So what if it is the same game. Obviously people want to play it.
    well because as I was saying awhile back 

IF.....
    ....I have the game already and I can play it on a playstation. I dont see any reason to get very excited about the fact that I can also play it on a PC monitor.
    In fact you likely could do that anyway, even without Now but fair enough not in the other room
    mmolou

Well obviously you're not the target audience.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Sean. Seriously. How on earth do you have enough hours in a day to honestly care enough about this to do what you've done to this thread, lol.
    MrMelGibsonRnjypsy

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:
    Sean. Seriously. How on earth do you have enough hours in a day to honestly care enough about this to do what you've done to this thread, lol.
    well here in about a day its going to change for a few weeks I think.

my knowledge and coding approaches is worth more than my time at work as it turns out.
    mmolou

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I think the PSNow is a great idea but no i have yet to try it and i don't have a PS3 controller,i use a Xbox  wireless controller which PSnow detected so should be no problems.Some games are better on controller,like the easy ones you can lay down and relax but others where you really need to pay attention,then yeah you need to be at a KB/Mouse.

I only pray that when FFXI mobile comes out we have an app to play every game made because i am not playing any games on a cell phone..ever.I know we are getting real close with Microsoft aiming for it and i am sure others will follow to not allow Microsoft a monopoly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Wizardry said:

I only pray that when FFXI mobile comes out we have an app to play every game made because i am not playing any games on a cell phone..ever.I know we are getting real close with Microsoft aiming for it and i am sure others will follow to not allow Microsoft a monopoly.
    You can play Android games on PC, there are emulators for that.

With that said, this topic is two years old I think we should let it die in peace and make a new topic if needed.
    Phry

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I take that back,you have to STREAM the games,so at 20 bucks a month,that is an insane price to pay to play a game i would own.
    So it is $240 bucks a year and if you want to play them for years to come like we can already,then that really adds up to a lot of money.
    I guess they make a killing selling these consoles with crappy chips,so i shouldn't have expected them to undermine their console sales by simply allowing us to play on PC with no added costs.

I already pay way too much for my internet to even think about adding another 20 buck cost.
    I thought this was going to be like a legit emulator.

MrMelGibson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    What about those with a data cap? How much data is transfered in say a 3 hour game session in a multi-player FPS? $20.00 a month will mean nothing if you shoot over your cap and get hit with a surcharge.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Jamar870 said:
    What about those with a data cap? How much data is transfered in say a 3 hour game session in a multi-player FPS? $20.00 a month will mean nothing if you shoot over your cap and get hit with a surcharge.

If you've got a data cap then you shouldn't buy something like this.
    Phry[Deleted User]

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Wizardry said:
    I guess they make a killing selling these consoles with crappy chips,so i shouldn't have expected them to undermine their console sales by simply allowing us to play on PC with no added costs.

Sony sells PS4 at a loss - $60 per hardware. 
    Phry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    cheyane said:
    I think the people who find the controls on console ports to be horrible are comfortable with the controller so they notice it immediately and lament the port. For me however I am always quite grateful for the port I always try to manage and even if at times they are awkward I always forgive it easily . 
    no its the EXACT to the tee opposite of that.

before I even entered seeing you as the last post I said 'I bet he is going to make a rude statement toward me and then leave as always'

so back on topic.
    I often hear PC gamers complain about console ports to PC not taking into consideration the control schemes that PC gamers are used to. I have never seen a PC gamer complain that its harder to play a console game on the PC because they are 'used to a controller'.

Sometimes it makes me think some posts here are paid for, however with such small viewership of these forums I doubt it so it just be for realz
    The bottle says "Take meds daily". Not when you feel like it.
    mmolou