Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO gets native 4k on new PS4 Pro

MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

The list of games that will run at 4k gets longer every day.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    4K is good, but I think 60 FPS would be even more important.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited September 2016
    You know, as a dirty casual player, I honestly don't notice much of a difference between a steady 30fps and a steady 60fps. 

And if I'm honest about it, I prefer 30fps with some bling than a boring 60fps.

That being said - I do wish they would enable more PC-style graphics options, where you can choose - even a toggle between fast or pretty would be better than nothing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Personally 4K is meh as far as I'm concerned, just don't think the tech is quite ready even on very high end computers let alone consoles. HDR is more important at TV viewing distances, IMHO, but even there most panels people have aren't going to benefit much, if at all.

I'd trade both for mods, personally. I know a lot of people love ESO's minimum UI, personally I'm not a fan and playing it on the PC there were a number of mods I felt improved things greatly. I doubt Sony is going to allow them, though, even if Zeni were interested in adding them (and they don't seem to be).

Hell, if nothing else a mod to add text chat to the console UI would be nice.
  • ced668ced668 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Seems the console peasant have overrun the forum. Guess the next post will be "but the human eye cant see 60 fps"
    Sad how marketing can brainwash people to praise mediocre but overpriced console.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    There is a huge difference between 30hz and 60hz. It's not the same as 30 fps verse 60 fps since the 30hz may repeat a frame making it effectively 15 fps. Most 4k TVs are at 30 hz, and this will probably not display well. Even LGs new 4k OLED TVs that can support beyond 60hz will be limited to 30hz due to their available connections.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    There's an enormous difference between a steady 30 frames per second that never takes so much as 34 ms between frames and a 30 frames per second average that sometimes drops into the teens.  While not ideal, the former is acceptable and the latter is not.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    So to get shinier graphics, I'd need to buy a 4k TV, which will cost me well over a thousand dollars for a comparable size to what I have, and pay Sony the same amount I paid for the original PS4? Pardon my language, but fuck that. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I've always played on PC and never been able to tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 either.  I'm not a first person shooter type player so maybe it only matters in those games.  Just not cool enough i guess to detect the difference.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited September 2016
    So to get shinier graphics, I'd need to buy a 4k TV, which will cost me well over a thousand dollars for a comparable size to what I have, and pay Sony the same amount I paid for the original PS4? Pardon my language, but fuck that. 
    Nope:

PS4 - remains the same as now, 30/60FPS (depending on the game) at medium-high 1080p
    PS4 Pro - 1080p ultra 30/60 FPS (depending on the game FPS locked to same as PS4) OR 4k 30 FPS meduim-high

And thats pretty much called "PS4 Pro treatment" ultra visual quality at 1080p or 4k. Not all games will get that retroactively but new ones - most will.
    edited September 2016
    flizzer said:
    I've always played on PC and never been able to tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 either.  I'm not a first person shooter type player so maybe it only matters in those games.  Just not cool enough i guess to detect the difference.
    Yah, usually those who get stomped blame it on FPS. but smooth 30 is smooth gaming and means that avg is usually in the 50ies.

This has been up on Guru3d for over a decade

Frames per second Gameplay
    <30 FPS Very limited gameplay
    30-40 FPS Average yet very playable
    40-60 FPS Good gameplay
    >60 FPS Best possible gameplay
    • So if a graphics card barely manages less than 30 FPS, then the game is not very playable, we want to avoid that at all cost.
    • With 30 FPS up-to roughly 40 FPS you'll be very able to play the game with perhaps a tiny stutter at certain graphically intensive parts. Overall a very enjoyable experience. Match the best possible resolution to this result and you'll have the best possible rendering quality versus resolution, hey you want both of them to be as high as possible.
    • When a graphics card is doing 60 FPS on average or higher then you can rest assured that the game will likely play extremely smoothly at every point in the game, turn on every possible in-game IQ setting.
    • Over 100 FPS? You either have a MONSTER graphics card or a very old game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These new generations think they invented 3d gaming. Anything in 40-60 is all thats really needed.

edited September 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    You know, as a dirty casual player, I honestly don't notice much of a difference between a steady 30fps and a steady 60fps. 

That being said - I do wish they would enable more PC-style graphics options, where you can choose - even a toggle between fast or pretty would be better than nothing.
    Poit of console is that you dont have to fiddle with anything, you put disc in and play at best possible experience.

If you start introducing PC like billion options and combinations there goes your optimizations. Just look at how much devs pull out from 3+ years old 1,8 TF GPU and 8 small CPU cores. And now theyre getting more than twice stronger GPU (CPU cores are the same but clocked higher) to play around with advanced Async Compute and PDA.
    Malabooga said:
    Ridelynn said:

Poit of console is that you dont have to fiddle with anything, you put disc in and play at best possible experience.

If you start introducing PC like billion options and combinations there goes your optimizations. Just look at how much devs pull out from 3+ years old 1,8 TF GPU and 8 small CPU cores. And now theyre getting more than twice stronger GPU (CPU cores are the same but clocked higher) to play around with advanced Async Compute and PDA.
    I'm not saying a billion options. I mentioned 2. Fast or Pretty.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kind of hillarious that people are expecting the new PS4 Pro to be able to handle 4k games all that well, the only way you could get 4k on that hardware is through upscaling, dubious at best, and certainly not at anything over 30 fps.

Basically, its an improvement over the original PS4, but you won't get the same kind of 4K gaming that you do on the PC, one of the few exceptions oddly enough, is ESO, mainly because its not that graphically demanding a game.
    Here's a breakdown from 'The Know' a useful source of gaming news too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvvTde5DcN0
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited September 2016
    Same can be said for PC. Im not really sure what exactly are you aiming at.

Its been long known that 1080p High is what developers aim at and "Ultra/Hyper/Nightmare (and whole "NVidia Gameworks" is in that category) and w/e they call them add very little to the experience. Same with 4k.

But certain companies PR is pushing this crap hard to get people to buy more expencive hardware while diminishing returns price/image quality are tremendous.

So yeah its just PR to show that new console CAN do the same and for much less money. Just see how many people are in denial it can actually run 4k lol

Somehow 4k medium-high on console is "crap" and "peasant" while 4k on PC which requires 450+$ JUST for GPU is "enthusiast" and "elite" lol, not to mention "the experience" that has been mentioned here requires 1200$ GPU on PC.

Another funny fact is that new PS4 Pro is more powerful than 99% of "gaming PCs" out there lol

Another funny fact is that HDR adds more to "experience" than 4k and costs 0 performance (since GPUs actually render in HDR for a decade then reduce it to 8bit). So 1080p HDR>4k at no performance cost. THATS what i call real advancement. Just to get HDR monitors/TVs to acceptable price range.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    you do know you dont need a 4k tv as long as the dev makes the games 60 fps or give it more pretty graphics on 1080p and the fps is actully stable
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    For $399 the PS4 Pro is amazing. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I just love it when people talk about how gameplay matters above all then ridicule console's graphic performance on the next post. It's like finding a pro-vegetarian nutritionist in a McDonald's. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually run my Tvs and monitors til they drop.  By the time I get ready to buy 4K, 8K will be the new best thing.  Till then everything's working just fine.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

PS4 Pro was going to be a holiday purchase for my family. We got a PS4 last holiday, and we've enjoyed that a good bit. It's in our living room, where I have a pretty nice 1080p LED LCD, it's a few years old, but it sitll has a good picture. We got a new TV for our bedroom, and it's a HDR 4K LG, and I was thinking of putting a PS4 Pro in there - partially for watching movies, and partially so I could play with my son on some multiplayer games.

Now, I've never played a Blu-Ray in either the PS3 or PS4, but 4k Blu Ray was on my list. Now I dunno. Will continue to hold off and see how it plays out I suppose.

Yeah, the XB1 supports it, but I'm not into the XB ecosystem, I had a 360 but it very rarely got used for anything once the novelty of Kinect wore off.