Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battleborn Drops Below 500 Players F2P Soon?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    473?  Four hundred and seventy three?  Good grief, I typed that and then clicked the link and only 350 were playing as of 10 minutes ago... on  a Friday night.

This is ugly, and I'm talking closed casket funeral ugly.  I'm surprised it hasn't been lowered into the grave yet.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Overwatch is pretty much blocking out the sun. I'm sure they will have heavy discounts before F2P if they do go that route. Also Paladins and Paragon are probably going to end up withered under the Overwatch shadow.

I would say they got the whole hero shooter thing nailed down.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    I don't think it's just Overwatch eating up the battle arena players, I think it's that Battleborn devs didn't realize that a static game isn't going to cut it. Every other battle arena and MOBA is getting new maps, new champions, new skins, tournaments, and events on a regular basis. Battleborn added... a cash shop?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Seems nobody goes head to head with Blizzard and survives it. Not sure about Heroes of the Storm since they came after LoL and Dota 2 were already well established.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    The game kinda sucks. It has already been on a humble bundle and should have been F2P since launch.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2016
    I thought it was fun...  It just didn't have a certain "something" that made me want to buy it. 

To be fair, I was unimpressed with Overwatch, too.  I think, in my old age, I have evolved to just enjoy third-person shooters/MOBAS better (still playing and loving Smite on both the PS4 and PC).

I'll probably give Hirez's new title a go out of loyalty to the developer (was a big Tribes fan back in the day, seemed way ahead of its time).  I know absolutely nothing about it though ha.  Haven't had access to my PC in over a month...  Also why I haven't been by the site as much. :(

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

Overwatch took all the FPS MOBA players just like they took all the MMO players with WoW. You don't go up against giants in the industry like that. Smaller game developes should try something different and potentially capture a new market. MOBA wasn't even a term 5-6 years ago, neither was "Survival Game" it used to be "Rogue Like"

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Overwatch ensured that Battleborn was screwed from the get-go. I wonder how the decision to release Battleborn in direct competition with Overwatch was made. 

"Let's time the launch of our product to directly compete with Blizzard's new game!"

In what reality does that seem like a good idea? Did they not see the mound of MMORPG corpses that attempted the same thing outside of Blizzard's cave?
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Pretty sad actually, quite fun. Without the players though, what's the point?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    H0urg1ass said:
    473?  Four hundred and seventy three?  Good grief, I typed that and then clicked the link and only 350 were playing as of 10 minutes ago... on  a Friday night.

This is ugly, and I'm talking closed casket funeral ugly.  I'm surprised it hasn't been lowered into the grave yet.

Oh, so there is enough left to put into a casket!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Gearbox was hoping that Battleborn would pay for a Borderlands MMO.  But they look at Fallen Earth and think a Post-Apocalyptic MMO doesn't have an audience.  Even if they make it a survival game.  They will keep Borderlands a four player Co-Op IP for the time being.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Pull the plug on BB, stop wasting resources on a dead title and learn from your mistakes, also hire a better person to scout out coming games that looks pretty much the same thing you're trying to release. At the end of the day, people trust Blizzard and Blizzard always win...  well, except for D3, for the time being.  ;)

P.S: Imagine if Blizzard would have worked on No Man's Sky but with some StarCraft elements .... OMFG!!!!   B)

When Blizzard works on a project, people know they'll get quality and the only tarnish that they are currently working to FIX is D3.  Once they get the Diablo series back to it's former glory, there won't be anything to stop Blizzard.

Honestly, I'm trying to make this thread more interesting, I mean, who cares about BattleBorn?  Let's be serious here for a moment, the game can shut down tomorrow morning and 99.99% of the gaming world will ask themselves : "wth was battleborn?" , you got more people playing Bejeweled 3 than BattleBorn for crying out loud, lol. 

Also the Borderlands MMO can kiss the side road. They keep releasing cheaper versions of Borderlands to help them with their stupid MMO, they're doing exactly the same stupid move Bethesda did with Skyrim by releasing TESO.  Borderlands 2 was pretty much still at it's prime but NOPE, they screwed that and screwed themselves hard pretty good now.   And this always brings us back to WoW, a 12 year old game that keeps getting expanded up the wazoo and still getting millions in box sales every single time.  Is it so hard for devs to just work on their GOOD title and expand it instead of releasing 10 other side titles that no one wants?  And that brings us back to what I wrote in the 1st paragraph of this post : "People trust Blizzard and Blizzard always win". 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    Nilden said:
    Overwatch is pretty much blocking out the sun. I'm sure they will have heavy discounts before F2P if they do go that route. Also Paladins and Paragon are probably going to end up withered under the Overwatch shadow.

I would say they got the whole hero shooter thing nailed down.
    I think Paladins will do fine in carving out a smaller niche audience. Hi-Rez are quality developers and Paladins already has a loyal following and prize tournaments already. They don't need OW numbers to make money.
    Between TF2 and OW they for sure dominate the arena.  
    Nah I really doubt Paladins will do well, despite the fact that I love HiRez to bits.  Unless something fundamentally changed from when I tried Paladins, it's very much a watered-down and uninspired version of Overwatch imo.

I still wish HiRez spent the money and manpower improving SMITE (at least getting better servers for the game).

The have cash tournies because HiRez is paying for them out of pocket, and also pays to fly in players, which I believe is unheard of for e-sports.  HiRez is cool like that, but going toe to toe with Blizzard like this is just plain bad news.

As for Battleborn, the whole thing just seemed like a mess, right down to how you can't tell wtf is happening on your screen most of the time as the game vomits colors at you.
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I think their best course of action is to take a page from Final Fantasy 14's book and bring it down rework it from the ground up remove that cash shop... and come back to us in a year or so with a polished relaunch, The Division, A game I quite like despite its flaws has just admitted said flaws and is now in the process of fixing them making me feel as if my purchase wasn't in vain I would love the same with BB but only time will tell.
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Picked it up from a humble bundle deal.  Game is pretty decent, nice variety of characters and skills but was mostly playing solo due to matchmaking being very problematic.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    BigRambo said:
    Pull the plug on BB, stop wasting resources on a dead title and learn from your mistakes, also hire a better person to scout out coming games that looks pretty much the same thing you're trying to release. At the end of the day, people trust Blizzard and Blizzard always win...  well, except for D3, for the time being.  ;)

P.S: Imagine if Blizzard would have worked on No Man's Sky but with some StarCraft elements .... OMFG!!!!   B)

When Blizzard works on a project, people know they'll get quality and the only tarnish that they are currently working to FIX is D3.  Once they get the Diablo series back to it's former glory, there won't be anything to stop Blizzard.

Honestly, I'm trying to make this thread more interesting, I mean, who cares about BattleBorn?  Let's be serious here for a moment, the game can shut down tomorrow morning and 99.99% of the gaming world will ask themselves : "wth was battleborn?" , you got more people playing Bejeweled 3 than BattleBorn for crying out loud, lol. 

Also the Borderlands MMO can kiss the side road. They keep releasing cheaper versions of Borderlands to help them with their stupid MMO, they're doing exactly the same stupid move Bethesda did with Skyrim by releasing TESO.  Borderlands 2 was pretty much still at it's prime but NOPE, they screwed that and screwed themselves hard pretty good now.   And this always brings us back to WoW, a 12 year old game that keeps getting expanded up the wazoo and still getting millions in box sales every single time.  Is it so hard for devs to just work on their GOOD title and expand it instead of releasing 10 other side titles that no one wants?  And that brings us back to what I wrote in the 1st paragraph of this post : "People trust Blizzard and Blizzard always win". 
    There is already a Chinese version of a Borderland MMO with Gearboxes involvement, it looks pretty dam good actually.  how hard would it be to bring it over to the west?  Probably what they are going to do after hey get all the kinds worked out and enough content.