Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATV 3.6

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
Some pretty cool features shown in this week's ATV.

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    Some really nice stuff to see is the long way the characters have come, the facial animations on the 3.0 demo were quite cool, but this shown more of the little details

https://gfycat.com/IllustriousImpishBream

I wonder if NPC's will react to you approaching them and look at you like Half Life 2, it's quite cool more games should do that

And the known SM armors that were refactored and are modular now (the ability to combine pieces, instead of equip a single-outfit)

Light:

Medium:

Then the Caterpillar Ship status: http://imgur.com/a/iL2Ib
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I concur ... the facial animation and level of detail is very promising. Starts around timestamp 13:10

Have fun
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Whenever I watch these videos it just reminds of why this project will take forever to come out if it comes out at all.

Its like worrying about what color place mats youre going to have for your Christmas party when your house isnt even built and the blueprints for it have been redone a dozen times.

The 'game' doesnt have half the basic function any MMO should have yet theyre focusing on all this hyper technical detail which quite frankly doesnt mean shit and you wont even be able to appreciate unless you have a top of the line system, and even then it might not even render the same way they think it will.

Sure its like everything else, it looks cool and awesome and 'lifelike' but without an actual game world to put it all into it doesnt mean jack.

At this stage they really should be looking ot get the game itelf into a playable state, then after they have something to put all this stuff into move onto that. While having the foundations would be good reworking all this stuff now is a waste of resources.

But its the epitome of what these guys do best..."hey look over here at the bright shiny, but dont move the curtain to that door over there''.
    rodarin said:
    Whenever I watch these videos it just reminds of why this project will take forever to come out if it comes out at all.

Its like worrying about what color place mats youre going to have for your Christmas party when your house isnt even built and the blueprints for it have been redone a dozen times.

The 'game' doesnt have half the basic function any MMO should have yet theyre focusing on all this hyper technical detail which quite frankly doesnt mean shit and you wont even be able to appreciate unless you have a top of the line system, and even then it might not even render the same way they think it will.

Sure its like everything else, it looks cool and awesome and 'lifelike' but without an actual game world to put it all into it doesnt mean jack.

At this stage they really should be looking ot get the game itelf into a playable state, then after they have something to put all this stuff into move onto that. While having the foundations would be good reworking all this stuff now is a waste of resources.

But its the epitome of what these guys do best..."hey look over here at the bright shiny, but dont move the curtain to that door over there''.

"You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"   ;-)

Have fun

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    rodarin said:

It's actually funny you express this. It's actually refreshing that people care about gameplay still. However, to be honest, if they concentrated on gameplay over graphics, there would be an equal number of players saying "Graphics are dated..." or "Looks like a game from the 90s" or "It should look more real". Similarly, if they rushed something, there would be an equal number of people complaining that it was rushed. It's a double-edged sword. Personally, I'm a gameplay and story guy, so I won't lay another hand on this game until SQ42 is released. Visually, the game looks fantastic, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2016
    rodarin said:

I would like to see more indepth looks at gameplay features, it's good seeing all the tech behind it but it doesn't give a decent idea of what the player will actually be doing and how those things will work.

Hopefully they show off some stuff regarding professions and their gameplay during CitizenCon, however I can't help but feel they'll simply use CC for more marketing fluff.

edited September 2016
    They actually have one important need to make the characters look as best as possible, not really because SC but because SQ42. What may be "fluff" for SC, is a priority for the SP Campaign.

Even the character we saw on the 3.0 Demo was an SQ42 character present on SC.

Next week the ATV will be dedicated to 2.6, so at last, see what's up with SM (and AC).
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    Next week the ATV will be dedicated to 2.6, so at last, see what's up with SM (and AC).

Calling it now, cancelled indefinitely :)
    CrazKanuk said:

It's actually funny you express this. It's actually refreshing that people care about gameplay still. However, to be honest, if they concentrated on gameplay over graphics, there would be an equal number of players saying "Graphics are dated..." or "Looks like a game from the 90s" or "It should look more real". Similarly, if they rushed something, there would be an equal number of people complaining that it was rushed. It's a double-edged sword. Personally, I'm a gameplay and story guy, so I won't lay another hand on this game until SQ42 is released. Visually, the game looks fantastic, though. 
    Yea we all know that but you can always do it during a soft launch or even after release. Games 'update' graphics all the time.

It is going to look dated anyway because by the time it does come out I suspect most new stuff will be full blown VR (yea thats how long its going to be) People that actually want to see the thing released better hope they dont change directions again and make it VR capable which would basically start all this over again.

Its not like they havent done that at least once on every single aspect of this project already.
    edited September 2016
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Calling it now, cancelled indefinitely :)
    It's actually interesting to see where it all stands after so much refactor of the tech and backend of it, one thing we saw a bit off was much improved and dynamic cover system, still to have a better look at the animation/movement improvements and other bits necessary to make it feel right.

rodarin said:
    Yea we all know that but you can always do it during a soft launch or even after release. Games 'update' graphics all the time.
    It's fun though, every time SC shows something on WIP that doesn't look graphically that good... people instantly have a go at CIG for "2003 graphics" and similar.

If they show SQ42 characters and they don't look as good or better than upcoming games like COD, Mass Effect, etc... there's a group of people ready to crucify the developers over it.
    rodarin said:
     I suspect most new stuff will be full blown VR
    Now, would it not be nice if enough people HAD a VR rig ?

Because 99+ % currently do not. Mostly due to price. 

Have fun
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:
    It's fun though, every time SC shows something on WIP that doesn't look graphically that good... people instantly have a go at CIG for "2003 graphics" and similar.

If they show SQ42 characters and they don't look as good or better than upcoming games like COD, Mass Effect, etc... there's a group of people ready to crucify the developers over it.
    I would just be happy if some of the stuff they show could make it into the game.  Been watching videos of cool stuff for years and yet here I am fixing comm station number 10,000.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Acterius said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

Have fun
    Yep, I believe we are like 2 years away where they come down in price and more people invest in them!
    I know the old Oculus Rift with Elite:Dangerous and it was amazing.

This years VR rigs are significantly better.

But many people have PCs and consoles cheaper than most VR rigs.

Have fun
    Acterius said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

Have fun
    Yep, I believe we are like 2 years away where they come down in price and more people invest in them!
    THAT was my point and I think it will be longer than that.

SQ 42 is at least a year away, so call it end of 2017. Then they have to maintain that since it will be an actual retail release. So manpower going itno that will take away from the 'development' of Star Citizen proper. Unless they hire more people, which is their normal claim. But more people doesnt necessarily mean faster pace, especially if people dont have a clue as to whats going on there.

Like I said this is the typical stuff we see, good 'production' value, a lot of TALKING, a little bit of concept art. Unitl its in the actual world where peopel can experience it and it looks just like they show it looking its just the same old smoke.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    CrazKanuk said:
    rodarin said:

And then They are focussing on gameplay some day, after finishing some modules they update the graphics again ... There was a game once that fell in this trap it's name starts with "Duke"

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
     Turrican187 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    rodarin said:

And then They are focussing on gameplay some day, after finishing some modules they update the graphics again ... There was a game once that fell in this trap it's name starts with "Duke"

There's no way that could ever happen again :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------