Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Graphics Comparison: Legion vs. Vanilla

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
edited September 2016 in World of Warcraft
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2016
    It is impressive how far they can stretch their engine.  The updated graphics really are a large improvement.  When I first heard about the update, I figured it would be arbitrary at best.  I'm happy to say I was wrong.  You can also really see a major difference when you venture into the newer areas from MoP and on.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2016
    Xodic said:
    It is impressive how far they can stretch their engine.  

I'm pretty sure it's just textures. It has nothing to do with the engine or how 'far' they can stretch it.
    I think you missed my point.  The new animations, the new character models.  These are all things you wouldn't expect a 12 year old game to be able to update that drastically.  They are also not just textures.   How many mmos have you seen do a major graphic overhaul?  I can't think of a single mmo.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Oh yeah,  more detail and more polys for the toons. Ever see the facial expressions they now have compared to vanilla?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    You could do an entire video on the facial animation system. It's seriously impressive.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    All i know is that if you like the Art Style the game is looking very good. I play in 2k with everything maxed and Legion looks awesome.

Shitty thing is with my viewing distance, when you get some elevation. I can see from one end of the Broken isles to the other. It make the world look so much smaller.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:

I'm pretty sure it's just textures. It has nothing to do with the engine or how 'far' they can stretch it.
    I think you missed my point.  The new animations, the new character models.  These are all things you wouldn't expect a 12 year old game to be able to update that drastically.  They are also not just textures.   How many mmos have you seen do a major graphic overhaul?  I can't think of a single mmo.

Well all I seen were textures.

EverQuest did an overhaul.

Hell, even Runescape did an overhaul.

If you watch the video you will see differences in shadows and lighting.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:

Well all I seen were textures.

EverQuest did an overhaul.

Hell, even Runescape did an overhaul.

EVE has done several, even DAOC did one.

I'm impressed with the WOW updates, my memory is of only the older models so I see a big difference.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    This has got to be one of the least effective showcases of graphical improvements I've ever seen. Assuming the video is even legitimate, the increases in fidelity and complexity are so minor that they are regularly eclipsed by, for example, games being ported to/from consoles/pcs.

The two real improvements are proper lighting and more objects (grass, etc). Obviously lighting is a big deal, yet this video barely managed to even show it, let alone do the improvement justice! The increase in object density is unfortunately irrelevant; the complexity and use of the objects hasn't improved at all, just the count. (I mean in this video; in game the objects now react to your presence, which is awesome).

Even on 1080p the increases in texture fidelity are very minor (for example the ground in the Durotar scene, or the orc in the cave). The fire actually got worse; from something vaguely resembling a glowing fire to an orange glowing spot in a brazier.

Obviously the models got more complex, yet this video barely shows that. The undead fingers and night elf hair stuck out to me; yet the change is identical to the change from old models to the worgen or goblin, i.e. several year old updates.

Look, I like WoW's graphics actually. They do great with color, water, lighting definitely needs work indoors but lighting changes zone to zone are good, and texture fidelity has never been an issue, plenty of crisp textures.

But this video utterly fails to show the major imrovements (view distance, object density, WATER, weather, shadows, lighting, animations, particles, etc) and BARELY manages to show the minor ones (texture fidelity, model complexity, ssao, AA, etc).

I hope Blizzard didn't pay for this video, hell, I'd pay to take it down.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited September 2016
    Xodic said:

DAoC did a pretty major revision like this quite some time ago.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm not a tech hipster type.   All I see is a difference in lighting effects.  Not a huge difference. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Velifax said:
    This has got to be one of the least effective showcases of graphical improvements I've ever seen. Assuming the video is even legitimate, the increases in fidelity and complexity are so minor that they are regularly eclipsed by, for example, games being ported to/from consoles/pcs.

The two real improvements are proper lighting and more objects (grass, etc). Obviously lighting is a big deal, yet this video barely managed to even show it, let alone do the improvement justice! The increase in object density is unfortunately irrelevant; the complexity and use of the objects hasn't improved at all, just the count. (I mean in this video; in game the objects now react to your presence, which is awesome).

Even on 1080p the increases in texture fidelity are very minor (for example the ground in the Durotar scene, or the orc in the cave). The fire actually got worse; from something vaguely resembling a glowing fire to an orange glowing spot in a brazier.

Obviously the models got more complex, yet this video barely shows that. The undead fingers and night elf hair stuck out to me; yet the change is identical to the change from old models to the worgen or goblin, i.e. several year old updates.

Look, I like WoW's graphics actually. They do great with color, water, lighting definitely needs work indoors but lighting changes zone to zone are good, and texture fidelity has never been an issue, plenty of crisp textures.

But this video utterly fails to show the major imrovements (view distance, object density, WATER, weather, shadows, lighting, animations, particles, etc) and BARELY manages to show the minor ones (texture fidelity, model complexity, ssao, AA, etc).

I hope Blizzard didn't pay for this video, hell, I'd pay to take it down.
    The video does the graphical improvements in WoW no justice. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee