Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basic Tips for Competitive Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBasic Tips for Competitive Play

Now that season 2 is live, I’ve been spending a lot of time playing competitive Overwatch. While I’m not a top tier player, I do understand the best practices for how to play Overwatch, even if my mechanical skills aren’t as high as they could be.. This week, we’ll be sharing some easy tips on how to improve your Overwatch play no matter what tier you’re in.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    My tip is wait for Blizzard to fix their ranking/matchmaking system.

Got into a game yesterday where my team could barely get outside the spawn on a payload map. We didn't manage to even move the damn thing and i saw team mates dying inside the door to Hanzo/Junkrat spam.

If their system thought that was supposed to be an even match then its about as broken as is possible lol.
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Not sure if you were in the placement matches because they can be a bit of a crap shoot, especially when solo-queued. Plus there is naturally going to be a lot of variance in the opening days of the season. Keep playing and give it a little time and it will even out, or at least that's what my experience has been like.
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    Great tips Mike. Totally agree.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    More than anything, GROUP - THE F#@$ - UP
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    As a solo queue'r there is really little you can do against a premade group on voice chat coordinating attacks/ults.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    Probably the biggest one I agree with is trying to be as aware as possible.  I've had reapers just stand behind the team tap tap tapping them all dead and nobody even noticing.

Or like yesterday on offense at Anubis 2nd point, defense Reaper is hiding up at the common spot for reaper to hide, drops down and ults the team. Ok, it's a common thing, but I can see it happening once. Then the whole team just walks up through choke and he does the same exact thing. Nobody looked for him or tried to kill him. I felt the need to type out that Reaper is always going to be there so expect it, because the team was not processing the concept.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    It amazes me how many people that do comp mode that have no idea what they are doing. They have no mics, they leave team audio chat, they purposely pick heroes that aren't good for that map or your team comp, and they always try to take on the other team by themselves. It is beyond frustrating!
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Good comments, but as borghive49 indicates, there's only ONE piece of advice for most people concerning Overwatch's competitive play: DON'T. Just forget it. If you've got a mic/headset, know all about which hero to pick for every map and team composition, and don't make mistakes, THEN you might be good enough, maybe a professional or one of the many wannabes. You might also need honed fast-twitch reflexes, a large high-quality screen to spot the least bit of enemy, high "aiming" skill, etc.

In real sports, you have t-ball league, pee-wee league, little league, etc., then there's informal sandlot play, backyard football "games" and church softball "leagues," but in Overwatch you're either pro-quality or forget it. It's bad enough when playing Quick Play or the brawl, and (in competitive) it doesn't matter once you've gotten through the placement matches and should be playing with people who are no better than you, there's always somebody who knows all about how good you should be and will blame you for your shortcomings even if you get a PotG or a card and they don't.

Overwatch presents itself as not being just another team FPS, but in practice it's not much different. Just look at the top teams and the star players. Oh, yes, you want your tanks and healers, but Reinhardt is basically mobile cover while the others had better be good at shooting! and Ana and Zenyatta need good aim, Lucio too, and look at all the characters that hardly ever appear in the high-level competitive matches!

Short version: Overwatch has no place for casual players, but ESPECIALLY not in competitive play. Well, maybe if you get some friends together for custom games, or enjoy playing against/with AI.