Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legion is WoD 2.0

Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
I am told I don't like to play WoW even though I have been playing for 10 years. I like to twink.  Legion is AWESOME for me because of the PvP changes.  I can PvP at any level and never have to grind anything.  But this post isn't about twinking or PvP.

It is about why Legion is WoD 2.0 and how neither expansion offered anything for me in the way of content I would be remotely interested in.

In WoD....

I didn't play with my toy soldiers or toy boats in the Facebook game called Garrisons.

I didn't jump through the 6000 hoops to get Pathfinder. (Although I really enjoy flying--I would NEVER EVER complete Pathfinder.)

I didn't try to collect mounts and rep.  I have a blue drake and some proto-drakes so I am good on mounts.

I didn't even enter Ashran.

So in Legion...

I won't play with my toy soldiers inthe Facebook game called Order Halls

I won't jump through the 6000 hoops to get the Legion flying achievement.

I won't build an artifact weapon.

I will never earn an honor talent.

I will never roll a demon hunter.

I bet you are thinking "this chick doesn't actually like wow."

I do.  I like to fly, and fish and gather swiftthistle and make a new level 29 character in about 40 mins and then lock my xp and get in a 3 minute Q for the battle ground I want to play in. 

So Legion has been great for me, but if I were a "traditional player" who is greedy for artificial awards like achievements and boss drops and crafting then I would be very unhappy with a WoD 2.0 expansion.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This expansion is pretty much bursty and I'll agree that it was pretty much an extension to WoD vs a completely new expansion for the most part. You can tell with the order halls that they were originally going to just piggyback off of how the garrisons did, so in Legion you pretty much get garrisons with less stuff to handle. Another big issue is how its attempting to handle longevity. After about 1k(?) artifact power, the jumps are just stupidly huge in comparison which is obvious as to why they are like that. What makes it even more stupid is that there are going to be people doing multiple artifacts per class and some even doing multiple characters, so it honestly didn't need to jump as high as it is. Pvp is another longevity tactic that will pretty much force non-pvper's to pvp if they want some of the talents. This game tries to marry too many things and drag them out arbitarily to ultimately not matter in the end since NONE of the stuff you do in legion aside from leveling will carry over in the next expansion. Equate it to getting legendaries in the expansions prior but honestly its too big of a gap. For several classes, artifacts are too important to play without investiment if you want to be even accepted into content in the future regardless of how casual the groups a person finds. Pretty much just buying into 2 betas at this point with Legion and WoD, since there's too many test systems.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    It's all fine and dandy to play the games the way you like to play them, believe me I respect that. However, you aren't even experiencing the game. You may as well post the The Burning Crusades was a horrible expansion because with your play style you'll never experience that either.

Complete and utter nonsense.
  • Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    fodell54 said:
    It's all fine and dandy to play the games the way you like to play them, believe me I respect that. However, you aren't even experiencing the game. You may as well post the The Burning Crusades was a horrible expansion because with your play style you'll never experience that either.

I never got past level 49 until Wrath....
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Dunno, i do not play it. Wife does and her guildies do. So far they all say they are enjoying it.

Dunno how long the guildies she is playing with will last. They all buy the expac's play for a month or so then fade away.

But wife says she likes how they changed things this time. Makes it easier to play with the different specs. 

That's all i can go by, the people that i know personally say they like it so far. 
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    edited September 2016

That pretty much sums it up how it feels having to play this mmorpg back again with friends in the open world instead of sitting in our garrisons! It can get tricky doing open world pvp (feral druids are so op) but all in all it is very enjoyable to be out in the world exploring to find treasure chests, world quests and rare bosses.

Many, including me, are trying to puzzle out how to unlock those hidden achievements for your artifact most to my knowledge are still unknown.  Couple that with world quests, great pvp, loads of dungeons, varying but good stories in every zone and a new crafting system... It feels good.... For now!

I'd say it's nothing like WoD except they're both World of Warcraft. Those emissary chests better reward me with something better than order resources I swear to god.

Consider the lengths of these hidden secrets Blizzard is going for
    https://m.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/51jjo4/how_kosumoth_was_spawned/
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I only got 1 character to 110 was ok for the story but game play is just boring no skill involve is all around doing whatever class you plays rotation. Some classes have been totally screwed over with this expansion and are not worth lvling up at all. The artifact weapons was a decent idea but the game play is just to boring with no skill involved only way to play better is to gear up has been wows main problem since around expansion 3. Will say is still better than all the competition because there really has not been any big budget mmos release in a long time and the ones that have are not that good.population wise game still seems to be a semi ghost town well my server was.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    DarLorkar said:
    Dunno, i do not play it. Wife does and her guildies do. So far they all say they are enjoying it.

Dunno how long the guildies she is playing with will last. They all buy the expac's play for a month or so then fade away.

But wife says she likes how they changed things this time. Makes it easier to play with the different specs. 

That's all i can go by, the people that i know personally say they like it so far. 
    Same here.  Everyone I know who's playing says it's great!  Of course, they said the same thing about Warlords of Draenor at first  .... and so did I.
    We said WoD is great at first because of the leveling experience. It was amazing. After that the end game content was very dull and empty. But it is different with Legion. Now we're saying Legion is great because its end game content. Even without the raids and mythic+ dungeons it is full of content. The dungeons, world quests, class campaign quests, suramar etc. all are absolutely amazing. And the future for Legion looks very bright too. Just compare the 6.1 and 7.1 patches dude. For now Legion is the best expansion since Wotlk in my opinion. I hated the Cataclysm and WoD but for me Mop was not that bad. But this expansion is a thousand times better than all three of them.

And for the op, no. Legion is nothing like WoD.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Consider the lengths of these hidden secrets Blizzard is going for
    https://m.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/51jjo4/how_kosumoth_was_spawned/
    That's totally cool. I love that kind of shit, Especially when it fits within the lore.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Think complete opposite. I stood on blizzs balls about WoD, to point I would say I was a hater, but Legion is everything WoD should have been when it comes to end game.

The need to piss off with the table shit I must say, but the content is there. I keep discovering stuff new to do each day at max level, which I did not have in WoD.

Hit max level in WOD, did dungeons then sat in garrisons till stuff happened.

Here, I haven't even done dungeons yet, got world missions, class quests, x2 profession quests, Suramar, hidden quests/items, Mythic dungeons, Raids ( when they;re out). I have a reason to be logged in and I don't feel my sub is going to waste for the first time in a long time.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    i definitely see an improvement over WoD. i wouldn't call it the best expansion ever or even say that it will hold my interest for more then a couple months, but i will say i see an improvement over the last few xpacs.
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Over the past few years (Since Cata) I'd become quite cynical of WoW. I barely touched Pandaland and subbed very late for Garrisons...oops, WoD! My expectations for this expansion were at an all time low but I finally succumbed to the power of the Horde side and purchased the expansion 1 day before launch.

Just over a week has passed since then and I've had time to asorb the game and changes they've implimented. I have to admit that I'm actually in awe with what they've produced. I've not felt like this since first stepping into the game back in BC.

The zones look beautiful, they're immersive and the questlines alot of fun. To my surprise the class Order Halls are not time draining. You need to allow 5 to 10min maybe twice a day to get things done.

Levelling professions is good. I'm happy it takes time and there are quests to be done to receive some patters. Again, this makes the world feel immersive. I'm in no rush to get to 800 JC or Tailoring. I've already made around 100k as Ive been levelling these 2 to 730, mainly from prospecting/selling gems.

There is so much to do , I can see this taking me a long time before I feel I've conquered everything I want to.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I'm reading alot of mixed opinions about Legion everywhere -and this comes rather early after it's release. Afaik at this time in WOD everyone was still cheering.
    Classes ruined, classes even more streamlined, boring 4 button rotations, Garrison v2, WoD v2, artefact grind, being stuck with a single spec, alt-unfriendly, no flying, riding sucks due to the map topography, gated content everywhere, professions broken/too expensive/not worth it, single player experience etc. etc.

Going back to WoW would cost me the addon and a sub, which is about 40Eur in total. That is too much just to snoop back into a game that i may or may not be burned out on in a week or two. Plus i only have one level 100 character, because i got bored in WoD after 3 weeks and couldn't be bothered to level my alts.

So, if i'd go back now, i would sub to my current account as it is and play 2-3 more alts up to level 100. Do some profession stuff, some dungeon healing that i love to do and not invest too much time into gearing up.

If the game stays fun to me, i can still buy Legion later on (perhaps even at a discount) and i would have more than just one character, but a variety to chose from and more prepared. If i get bored along the way, i have only invested 12Eur and did not buy the addon through which i would have to drag myself in agony in order to get my money's worth.

That may be the best plan for me, after seing that Legion is not getting all that praise that WoD got in it's early days.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Saw this in the Recent Discussions list and came here expecting a completely different discussion about a completely different game. :) 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    That feeling of "all this stuff will be made useless in the next expansion" is hitting me hard this time around.

Stepping into garrisons clicking on the report tables to see all the work put into followers and ships made worthless in a blink of an eye.

Also, I do not care to be the leader of my class and am under qualified for the position - I died three times just trying to get my artifact weapon. Would much rather be a lowly follower and leave all the big business stuff to others more capable of handling it.

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    fodell54 said:

You can get the same feeling just boosting a random character to 100 and going to TM/SS and killing some lvl 15 questing nubs. "Twinking" isnt a thing. Its just a lame excuse to fight people who have less than 0% chance of winning and then feeling good about yourself. Killing a lvl 15 as a lvl 100 boosted will give you the same high with 99% less effort. Your time saved could be spent working a real job to afford a a flag of pwnership on ebay. That way you can really let that lvl 15 scrub know how bad ass you are.
  • AR-AksovarAR-Aksovar Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Albatroes said:
    Another big issue is how its attempting to handle longevity. After about 1k(?) artifact power, the jumps are just stupidly huge in comparison which is obvious as to why they are like that. What makes it even more stupid is that there are going to be people doing multiple artifacts per class and some even doing multiple characters, so it honestly didn't need to jump as high as it is.  --> Answer A
    Pretty much just buying into 2 betas at this point with Legion and WoD, since there's too many test systems. --> Answer B
    A : You can upgrade the amount of artifact power that you gain by 25% each 5 days. Also after 1k there is indeed one big jump but after that the jumps are smaller again.
    Keep in mind that when doing worldquests you'll upgrade your reward every next time you'll do that same worldquest. So this also counts for the Artifact power items.
    B : If a company doesn't try and freshen up the gameplay, people will not even think twice about buying their game, so ofcourse we are their test subjects ... since we are the people they are trying to keep happy.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Yeah this time during WoD people were falling over themselves praising it.  Go look up the posts on this site, it was insane.

The group instance part of the expansion is fun.  The questing is being ordered around by an NPC and I fing hate it.  

The OP is kinda confusing.  Yes, the game is still mind numbing linear questing as well as garrison like Order Halls.  But the grouping dungeon part of the game is still fun and worth slogging through the questing and order halls to get to.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    fodell54 said:

You can get the same feeling just boosting a random character to 100 and going to TM/SS and killing some lvl 15 questing nubs. "Twinking" isnt a thing. Its just a lame excuse to fight people who have less than 0% chance of winning and then feeling good about yourself. Killing a lvl 15 as a lvl 100 boosted will give you the same high with 99% less effort. Your time saved could be spent working a real job to afford a a flag of pwnership on ebay. That way you can really let that lvl 15 scrub know how bad ass you are.
    He/she stops his xp so he only get matched with other twinks in bg's - unless they changed that.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I think it is funny how they made professions ' more engaging' . All they did was added questing to the professions, and most of it is completely unrelated, especially the dungeon quests.

It would have been cool if you had actual profession instances. Imagine Engineering dungeon quest where you have to use your crafted gadgets to complete it. But no, they just send you back the instance you already did during your normal questing. Make your own group, because pugs might not understand why you have to do something else in the dungeons.

I feel for the crafters who don't care about instances, they cant even buy the recipes on ah this time. Engineering is a utter disappointment, the recipes seem to get worse every ep.

The artifact is cool, but what the devs didn't think through is that changing spec just starts a new grind for you now. Because you will have to progress a new artifact. In legion they basically soft lock you into your spec.
    The artifact is cool, but what the devs didn't think through is that changing spec just starts a new grind for you now. Because you will have to progress a new artifact. In legion they basically soft lock you into your spec. 
    I changed my spec after doing all of the main quests, took me only 4 hours of worldquests and endgame quests to back on the same level on my offspec ( now mainspec ). You complainers should have played vanilla where everything was about achieving things, not getting it thrown in your lap.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    WoW is just not my cup of tea anymore. I won't purchase this expansion due to the fact that there is nothing new to it. Nothing original with the PvE and no competetive PvP. So... Nope!
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited September 2016
    I changed my spec after doing all of the main quests, took me only 4 hours of worldquests and endgame quests to back on the same level on my offspec ( now mainspec ). You complainers should have played vanilla where everything was about achieving things, not getting it thrown in your lap.
    Except that you conveniently forget to mention how many traits that is. Which can't be much if it took 4 hours. Because the moment you get to the point that it costs 8k AP to progress to the next trait (and that is way before getting to your next gold trait), is will be way more then 4 hours of gameplay. And for any decent artifact build you will need that. But maybe you haven't seen yet how the AP cost rises. 

tl;dr you are full of crap or don't know yet how high the AP cost rises before you get close to finishing an artifact build.
    For my warlock destruction build i needed only upto the 1k costing trait one to get a decent build included one "golden" trait. The 6k, 8k & 12k costing ones are just upgrading my dps but weren't necessary for a decent build. My point being that for a normal build you don't need more then 10k, the rest is just adding more dmg to a viable spec.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DarLorkar said:

Same here.  Everyone I know who's playing says it's great!  Of course, they said the same thing about Warlords of Draenor at first  .... and so did I.
    And MoP as well... But OP do have some points, the content is more an extension of WoD then something new and different.
    Of course you can't make it too different since it is an expansion to a MMO instead of a new game but WoD did not do so well (if you measure Wows sub numbers 2 months before release of WoD and 2 months before the release of Legion there was a rather large drop).

So I feel that they probably should have tried to move more in a different direction instead of staying on target. A lot of the problem though was the pacing of updates after WoD and they seems to have realize that and that is good but I wonder if they couldn't have done better. 

Still, most players are generally positive so far and that is good. I guess we will just have to wait and see a few months before we can make any final judgment. Truly judging a MMO expansion takes a while after all. sometimes they become better with patches and content that takes a while to clear and sometimes not.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    There aren't Orcs all over the place. That right there is a huge improvement over the previous two expansions!