Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR sales not looking good?

13»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    I want VR but the prices need to come down.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Asm0deus said:
    If price is an issue for you (like it was for me), consider the GearVR.  A very high quality experience, and the most recent headset itself only runs $99.  I purchased a refurbished S6 for my carrier from Sears online for $280, no major problems there and I got a new phone out of the deal.  Altogether my outlay has been $435 for what I feel is a top-tier VR rig.

It may not be a Rift or a Vive, but it is a vibrant and transformative tool.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Asm0deus said:
    If price is an issue for you (like it was for me), consider the GearVR.  A very high quality experience, and the most recent headset itself only runs $99.  I purchased a refurbished S6 for my carrier from Sears online for $280, no major problems there and I got a new phone out of the deal.  Altogether my outlay has been $435 for what I feel is a top-tier VR rig.

worth noting (although not cheaper) there is a chance that the new Gear VR headset with a Note 7 (that doesnt explode) might end up being the best on the market even compared to dedicated headsets because the HDR Video

however that isnt the cheaper option

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:
    You do realize playstation VR is sold out everywhere and has a waiting list of over a million people? Just because people do not want to buy an overpriced VR headset that you also have to buy an overpriced video card to use does not mean people are not still planning to buy VR.       Do not forget AMD has a VR headset coming soon that has a built in GPU and memory. 
    pull back a second. Oculus Rift CV1 sold out, so did Oculus Gear VR so did Oculus DK2 so did Oculus Dk1 So did HTC Vive. lets not get ridiclously obvious on our bias there buddy. I am curious though where the 1 million waiting list story is coming from would you happen to have I could not find quickly sorry.
    I have to say the level of fanboism toward Sony is off the charts hysterical at times
    I also question this including what the amount of inventory was for PSVR.

Reports indicate that Gamestop is all that received the option for preorders, and that the stock of each store was all in the realm of single digits. Lets say that 4000 stores received a minimum of 5, thats still only 20K preordered...  I'd say about the same as Rift or Vive.  

It's quite questionable why further preorders from other retailers aren't being allowed as well -- especially since Sony stated they're specifically releasing more units in october - but are requiring people to wait.

This could be a benefit to the consumer to discourage resellers from buying the entire stock to resell for the holidays.. but...  I would say that's doubtful.

As for 1 Million waiting.. perhaps.. worldwide maybe, but I found nothing about a waiting list online with any numbers.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    VR might do well if Arcades were still a "thing". A place to go, play around with, test run, try out some new VR games for $1.00 per shot, before spending several hundred on the gear, would help.

It was the same thing that led to the popularity of arcades through the 80's and 90's; the price tag was too high to afford a cabinet in your home, but kids could afford $0.25 per play.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited September 2016
    Asm0deus said:

Might as well fork out a bit more and get the HMD.  Thing is I haven't had a cell phone for the last ten years, have no need of one and zero desire to have one.

Just need the proper HMD to go down a bit in price, oculus lost lots of sales with the inflated price.

An added benefit of waiting is the tech will mature and it will allow me to see which HMD set I feel will fit my needs better, not to mention new sets coming.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Lerxst said:
    VR might do well if Arcades were still a "thing". A place to go, play around with, test run, try out some new VR games for $1.00 per shot, before spending several hundred on the gear, would help.

It was the same thing that led to the popularity of arcades through the 80's and 90's; the price tag was too high to afford a cabinet in your home, but kids could afford $0.25 per play.
    and that is coming, its already starting in japan.

What is nice about this idea is things like The Void and StarVR which are in fact far higher in cost and space requirements then either Vive or Oculus but the experience is also better

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:
    You do realize playstation VR is sold out everywhere and has a waiting list of over a million people? Just because people do not want to buy an overpriced VR headset that you also have to buy an overpriced video card to use does not mean people are not still planning to buy VR.       Do not forget AMD has a VR headset coming soon that has a built in GPU and memory. 
    pull back a second. Oculus Rift CV1 sold out, so did Oculus Gear VR so did Oculus DK2 so did Oculus Dk1 So did HTC Vive. lets not get ridiclously obvious on our bias there buddy. I am curious though where the 1 million waiting list story is coming from would you happen to have I could not find quickly sorry.
    I have to say the level of fanboism toward Sony is off the charts hysterical at times

Reports indicate that Gamestop is all that received the option for preorders, and that the stock of each store was all in the realm of single digits. Lets say that 4000 stores received a minimum of 5, thats still only 20K preordered...  I'd say about the same as Rift or Vive.  

It's quite questionable why further preorders from other retailers aren't being allowed as well -- especially since Sony stated they're specifically releasing more units in october - but are requiring people to wait.

This could be a benefit to the consumer to discourage resellers from buying the entire stock to resell for the holidays.. but...  I would say that's doubtful.

As for 1 Million waiting.. perhaps.. worldwide maybe, but I found nothing about a waiting list online with any numbers.
    Where are you getting your single digit preorder availability numbers? In  a few minutes hopping around the web I'm seeing people posting about 10 available at one store, 25 at another, etc. I'm pretty suspect of your numbers because there would be little if any reason to report on the sell out if you are correct. Additonally every major gaming outlet did a story on it and none of them raised the suspicions that you have. It would have been a huge win for any outlet to successfully identify this, but no trace on the web. So either they're all in bed with Sony or your numbers are off. 

Steam: Neph

SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:

Where are you getting your single digit preorder availability numbers? In  a few minutes hopping around the web I'm seeing people posting about 10 available at one store, 25 at another, etc. I'm pretty suspect of your numbers because there would be little if any reason to report on the sell out if you are correct. Additonally every major gaming outlet did a story on it and none of them raised the suspicions that you have. It would have been a huge win for any outlet to successfully identify this, but no trace on the web. So either they're all in bed with Sony or your numbers are off. 
    guys...

pre-orders from stores are shipped to the store. they may or may not have them physically in the store. (obviously not for pre-order but sometimes not even for regular order)

edited September 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:

post'em if you got'em 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/4bgyyd/gamestop_in_store_preorder_line_count/?st=istffrf3&sh=43576609

I called 2 of my closest gamestops right now,  one in the mall and one outside a grocery store nearby. The mall had 4 preorders.  The other had 5.   

Reading through the reddit here the highest I've seen is 10...   

Call a few gamestops if you want,  they're pretty forthcoming with the amount their store received.  I have no doubt that if I called every store in my area I would find low numbers across the board.

**edit 

I will also say that there were previous preorders too.. but gamestop was the final preorder.  Others became available in earlier preorder rounds on Amazon, Walmart and Best Buy.  All of which also sold out... all of which were also low numbers according to similar reports from people asking questions per store.

All in all you have to take into account an average.  

You'd have to expect that every store received at least double digits for sales to reach the millions in the US alone.  Thats across Best Buy (roughly 1000 stores)  Gamestop (roughly 4000 stores)  Walmart (roughly 6000 stores, not all of which sell electronics) target   Roughly 2000 stores

total stores that had options for preorders - thats roughly 130,000 units that would have been sold.  Still small if ALL of them received a minimum of double digits.  

This doesn't count amazon... which,  lets say they DID sell out and had 1000 units to be generous.

131,000 units?  Thats paltry,  and this is just guessing based on store numbers.

Now globally?  Who knows?  Maybe double or triple that?  It's still nowhere near 1 million sales.

By the way, Steam survey for VR?

didnt count me...oops! why?

because currently I am using only the Oculus Home to buy VR games. Why? because until I get the Touch controllers i dont want to be bothered with reading detailed game descriptions to make sure it doesnt require controllers specifically. I did that for about an hour on steam before I decided to just wait. So I dont use Steam to buy any VR games and Steam has never sent me a survey either.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

because currently I am using only the Oculus Home to buy VR games. Why? because until I get the Touch controllers i dont want to be bothered with reading detailed game descriptions to make sure it doesnt require controllers specifically. I did that for about an hour on steam before I decided to just wait. So I dont use Steam to buy any VR games and Steam has never sent me a survey either.
    You don't know what a survey is, do you?

Steam survey, like a political survey, is not about asking everyone. They just ask large enough group of people, and then assume that group is representative of all the people.

And if you get asked in the survey, it doesn't matter whether you use your Oculus Rift with Steam or not. The survey is not about what you use with Steam, it's about what is installed on your computer.

Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Steam survey, like a political survey, is not about asking everyone. They just ask large enough group of people, and then assume that group is representative of all the people.

And if you get chosen in the survey, it doesn't matter whether you use your Oculus Rift with Steam or not. The survey is not about what you use with Steam, it's about what is installed on your computer.
    you missed the most important data point in my story for your advanced statistical analysis.
    The most important part is NOT the survey. The most important part is that 100% of all Oculus owners currently do not have Oculus Touch. How many of them did exactly what I did? spend an hour looking for games reading much about them only to discover they cant play them because the dont have any controllers?

Oculus home will only sell you games that dont need Touch controllers until they come out.

this is the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF MY STORY not the fucking survey 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    SEANMCAD said:
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:

And if you get chosen in the survey, it doesn't matter whether you use your Oculus Rift with Steam or not. The survey is not about what you use with Steam, it's about what is installed on your computer.
    you missed the most important data point in my story for your advanced statistical analysis.
    The most important part is NOT the survey. The most important part is that 100% of all Oculus owners currently do not have Oculus Touch. How many of them did exactly what I did? spend an hour looking for games reading much about them only to discover they cant play them because the dont have any controllers?

Oculus home will only sell you games that dont need Touch controllers until they come out.

Based on your story you have Steam.

Only those Oculus Rift users who don't have Steam at all, or never use it, will be missed by the survey. Those who still use Steam for other purposes will be included.

Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Only those Oculus Rift users who don't have Steam at all, or never use it, will be missed by the survey. Those who still use Steam for other purposes will be included.
    incoming "but I didn't even log in when I was looking for games, they don't know what I was looking for they can't count me in their survey!"  

He'll say whatever it takes so he appears.. "right".  But you're right,  you can safely guess that both rift and vive stores have a lot of cross platform play.

edited September 2016
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ok first off that is not accurate.

survey is random and its by choice. one can very well be using Steam, with a Headset on and 1. not get a survey and/or 2. decided not to take it.

HOWEVER, the nature of statics teaches that it doesnt have to have 100% coverage, you can get a sample and that is fine. that is not the point. the point its until around Novemeber the number of Oculus owners that do not use Steam for VR experiences is going to be unusually high stastically speaking for the reasons I have suggested.

a better indicator I might add would be VR game reviews. Specifically ones that are bundled with the Vive. Then assume Oculus would be somewhere a bit below that number