Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is The Biggest Raid You Were Ever In?

13»

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Flyte27 said:
    Flyte27 said:
    I think my biggest raids were in EQ, but I wasn't counting.  I recall tagging along for a Velious dungeon called Crystal Cavers.  There were these icy circular ramps leading up to an icy bridge.  They were all slippery and easy to fall off of.  The bridge had a gap that everyone had to jump over and if someone miss jumped they would fall to their death.  It was a pretty nasty raid in terms of just getting to the monster you wanted to fight.

You mean Crystal Caverns, i spent many days in that zone and Dragon Necropolis. I think you are getting mixed up Crystal Caverns with Velketor Labybrinth which had the icy floor. 
    I think you may be right, but I remember it had spiders like Crystal Caverns.  I guess both of those areas had spiders in them.  Most of the time I stayed near the entrance.  For some reason I remember Crystal Caverns.  Maybe I just liked the name better so it stuck with me.

Thanks

Hehe,  Crystal Caverns had the dwarf city in it and you could levitate down to the bottom. It was a level 28ish to early 30s zone and you had to run to the entrace because of the mobs outside. 

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Flyte27 said:
    Flyte27 said:
    I think my biggest raids were in EQ, but I wasn't counting.  I recall tagging along for a Velious dungeon called Crystal Cavers.  There were these icy circular ramps leading up to an icy bridge.  They were all slippery and easy to fall off of.  The bridge had a gap that everyone had to jump over and if someone miss jumped they would fall to their death.  It was a pretty nasty raid in terms of just getting to the monster you wanted to fight.

You mean Crystal Caverns, i spent many days in that zone and Dragon Necropolis. I think you are getting mixed up Crystal Caverns with Velketor Labybrinth which had the icy floor. 
    I think you may be right, but I remember it had spiders like Crystal Caverns.  I guess both of those areas had spiders in them.  Most of the time I stayed near the entrance.  For some reason I remember Crystal Caverns.  Maybe I just liked the name better so it stuck with me.

Thanks

Hehe,  Crystal Caverns had the dwarf city in it and you could levitate down to the bottom. It was a level 28ish to early 30s zone and you had to run to the entrace because of the mobs outside. 
    I seem to remember doing solusek ro.  Part of it was walking through lava and if you didn't have enough fire resistance it was easy to die.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    tawess said:
    Hamindon in CoH... 

It was not good at all. 
    It started off horrible.  You had a bunch of untouchable tanks, lots of corpses, and SO MUCH LAG.  The tanks could not muster near enough DPS to even come close to winning.

Then they 'fixed' the raid so that no one would live, even the tanks.

Then they FINALLY fixed it so it was winnable.  It took a lot of time and a few dedicated people to pay attention, but once everything was on auto it was mostly pretty easy.

THEN they fixed it properly, where it was not a liability to be melee.  This phase and the previous is where I did most of my raids. 

But when IOs started to rule, it got harder to build a raid team.  Then they made it simpler and reduced the raid size.  NOW it was winnable AND fun!  That was issue 8 I think, and at that point only Stone tanks had the survivability to be main tanks.  But it was still a lot more fun IMO compared to other versions.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    For me just 40 mans in WoW, or perhaps a hundred in Planetside 2, if that counts. I prefer to stick with LAN party size 16 max or a raid of one.

I think the only place I'd be comfortable going above 20 again would be Eve, has to be somewhere with professional comms, I can't stand noise about your family or people talking over each other. Also speaking in third person is so simple if the raid can't manage I'm clearly I the wrong raid.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     DAoC Mordred guild alliance dragon raid, around 800 members in all trying to get re-spec stones and other loot while trying not to go linkdead. Hilarious times, I wish I had the vent recordings of that. 
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited September 2016
    Biggest raid? Without a doubt the final days of Circuit City here.. My god, the going-out-of-biz prices.. So many people, it felt like I was lagging.. Never saw the store's Boss.. Guess they took him out early on..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    At what point do you call it a raid or a server crashing mob? Seems like going beyond or far beyond 80 players in one area is counter intuitive for a raid. Some older games couldn't even handle that many characters in one area and would cause rendering issues and server crashes. Both in the case of Planetside 2 to hold the record of most players online together of about 1200 on a single landmass. More players = more chaos but not necessarily more fun. Actually, so many players that it causes technical problems isn't fun.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Aion Abyss Fortress sieges.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I wouldn't say it was a raid, but it was a dynamic event that could bring many players.  City of Heroes Rikti Invasions.  I wish I could find a better video as this doesn't have enough players in it. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

what many do not understand is that the gear, the mats, the ships and all that in this game take many many many hours and even months to acquire and you can loose it all in a battle, nevermind the pure prep time involved in making backup bags etc. So in these battles the Adrenalin is real

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    waynejr2 said:
    I wouldn't say it was a raid, but it was a dynamic event that could bring many players.  City of Heroes Rikti Invasions.  I wish I could find a better video as this doesn't have enough players in it.
    Jeez, I completely forgot about the Mothership raids in the Rikti War Zone.  They were quite fun!  there wasn't really a limit on players other than the zone limit which would create another shard.  No where else could you get than concentration of elite bosses in one place!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• jfobergjfoberg Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Vardahoth said:

The dragon Raid was magnificent. Thanks for sharing that. I'm strongly considering joining Lineage 2.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    200 man raids in ESO,GW2,RIFT happen all the time.   Well IDK abou RIFT any more because playerbase is kinda bleh.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Realizer said:
     DAoC Mordred guild alliance dragon raid, around 800 members in all trying to get re-spec stones and other loot while trying not to go linkdead. Hilarious times, I wish I had the vent recordings of that. 
    I was in a few of those, largest open world raid I was in.

Was in a fleet battle or two in EVE with around 1200, and for pure instance raiding, WOWs 40 man.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I'm not a fan of raiding so I haven't done very many. The biggest one I remember being involved in was Anarchy Online's Pandemonium raid.

I went on that raid right after Shadowlands came out. It was still new at the time and a formal strategy had not yet been established. The new raid drew crowds of what seemed like 100+ players and there was an agreement to alternate every other day between Clan and Omni runs so both sides had an equal chance at it. I was neutral so I could go every day if there were open spots and there almost always were spots for healers like myself. In those early runs it was common to start with around 100 players and finish with only a couple parties left at the final boss. My very first run with my lvl 216 doctor was the most memorable. My orgmates expected me to die sometime during the first two bosses but I outlived them and was one of the last two doctors in the final boss fight. I'd like to say I finished the raid but I didn't. I died halfway through the boss fight. Fortunately the last doctor and the adventurer who were left kept the healing up for the tank and they eventually beat the boss.
    My next attempts didn't go as well. I lagged and died early on each time. It wasn't until there was an established strategy and the raid could be easily beaten by less than half the number of players we had in those early attempts that I was finally able to see the very end of it (by then it was boring).

For me, raids are only fun until I finally beat them. After that they are boring, seemingly pointless and very repetitive. The only enjoyment from going on them after they have been beaten is when I help people with their first time through it.

If they could make raids that dramatically change every single time so that it is always a new experience then maybe I'd enjoy raiding a little more.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    jfoberg said:
    Vardahoth said:

The dragon Raid was magnificent. Thanks for sharing that. I'm strongly considering joining Lineage 2.
    Lineage 2 had the best raids, and the client held up well.

http://themess.com/zhelavar/tales/008.html 

^-- At the bottom of the page are screenshots I took during the raid. I think it was the only MMO at the time where I could go on a raid and leave the graphics turned up. Beautiful graphics, incredible game, fun raids, great community (Liona server)... all ruined by a plague of gold farmers. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?