Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing.

13»

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,432
    filmoret said:
    azarhal said:
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:
    You're assuming that SC will push PC technology? By the time it "releases" other games will have beaten them to the finish line. I wouldn't be holding your breath for any jumps in innovation from the SC team, they still haven't figured out how to deliver a patch without making you re-download the entire game.

Neither does Crytek and a bunch of other engine developers who think packaging all the files into compressed bigger ones without a system to patch inside the compressed large fiile is an awesome concept (see anything made with the Unity engine).
    Please educate yourself about Patcher development ...
    The Patcher has nothing to do with the game engine.

Edit: Though you can include your patching system in the game engine if you want to make something funny like a background patching client - but still that's nothing the Game Engine would be concerned.

And as for Unity, you can buy nice xDelta based scripts for 30$
    ???? I'm very well aware what is a delta patcher. Just like, I'm very aware of the fact that 99% of the games I download patches for makes me redownload entire files (say hello to pak files) instead of using a delta patcher including most Unity and CryEngine games I own. I doubt making a delta patcher is has simple as you are claiming it to be.
    That's cool - I doubt that to bake a cheesecake is simple, but that is because I can't bake.
    Dude you are arguing with people who believe everything CIG says.  CIG is famous for making very simple things seem complex and expensive.  It is how they brainwash their victims.

You forgot to end with

Have fun! 

• YakutoYakuto Member UncommonPosts: 61
    filmoret said:
    azarhal said:
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:
    You're assuming that SC will push PC technology? By the time it "releases" other games will have beaten them to the finish line. I wouldn't be holding your breath for any jumps in innovation from the SC team, they still haven't figured out how to deliver a patch without making you re-download the entire game.

Neither does Crytek and a bunch of other engine developers who think packaging all the files into compressed bigger ones without a system to patch inside the compressed large fiile is an awesome concept (see anything made with the Unity engine).
    Please educate yourself about Patcher development ...
    The Patcher has nothing to do with the game engine.

Edit: Though you can include your patching system in the game engine if you want to make something funny like a background patching client - but still that's nothing the Game Engine would be concerned.

And as for Unity, you can buy nice xDelta based scripts for 30$
    ???? I'm very well aware what is a delta patcher. Just like, I'm very aware of the fact that 99% of the games I download patches for makes me redownload entire files (say hello to pak files) instead of using a delta patcher including most Unity and CryEngine games I own. I doubt making a delta patcher is has simple as you are claiming it to be.
    That's cool - I doubt that to bake a cheesecake is simple, but that is because I can't bake.
    Dude you are arguing with people who believe everything CIG says.  CIG is famous for making very simple things seem complex and expensive.  It is how they brainwash their victims.
    Well, I can not say I know what the future holds for SC. I have however played the game in the state it is in and honestly, even if I were to judge the game based on its 2.5 state, It is enjoyable and has enough detail/content to keep me busy for hours on end. I have spent 75 so far and eah I do not regret it as the current version of the game as unfinished and unpolished as it is, has many elements to it that are just better than anything else that's been released into the market in the last 5 - 10 years (and I am only basing that on the level of enjoyment I personally experienced while playing the game.) I have seen the video for 3.0 and yes its sorta a tech demo, but honestly, most of the stuff there is what I want to see in games that are set in space.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited September 2016
    Yakuto said:
    Well, I can not say I know what the future holds for SC. I have however played the game in the state it is in and honestly, even if I were to judge the game based on its 2.5 state, It is enjoyable and has enough detail/content to keep me busy for hours on end. I have spent 75 so far and eah I do not regret it as the current version of the game as unfinished and unpolished as it is, has many elements to it that are just better than anything else that's been released into the market in the last 5 - 10 years (and I am only basing that on the level of enjoyment I personally experienced while playing the game.) I have seen the video for 3.0 and yes its sorta a tech demo, but honestly, most of the stuff there is what I want to see in games that are set in space.
    Yeah agreed. The current Alpha itself can provide many hours of unique gameplay content (through its missions and locations) and many others depending on you in emergent play.

At least it's quite O.o for me that I've spent more hours on the SC's Alpha as the limited, unfinished and unstable game that it is than on NMS, and darn it I bought that at a triple-A price!

At the end, one does not need to be brain-washed to have fun playing SC, especially when during free flights when I played with friends, they liked it and pledged. It's already a fun game to play that with performance and stability improvements up to content expansion, it can only get better. 
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,967
    I just got around to setting up solo mode for the game it was actually fun but somewhat buggy.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,392
    MaxBacon said:
    At the end, one does not need to be brain-washed to have fun playing SC, at least i haven't noticed any brain-washing action when during free flights got to play with friends that liked it and bought it afterwards.
    I have done a few free flight. Have yet to see something that would actually make me buy. It all seems pretty "Meh!" at this point. Whenever I play I always feel like I can see the duct tape keeping it all together. It just have that feel to it. I have played other bug ridden alphas where you could actually see the jewel inside they where polishing to get out. This one just seems like a bunch of random stuff taped together to me.

But if they actually make it to the goal line, and make all those pieces play nice together, find the jewel inside so to speak, then I am sure i'll be throwing some cash at it.

But we are not there yet. Not by a long shot. 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited September 2016
    hfztt said:
    I have done a few free flight. Have yet to see something that would actually make me buy. It all seems pretty "Meh!" at this point. Whenever I play I always feel like I can see the duct tape keeping it all together. It just have that feel to it. I have played other bug ridden alphas where you could actually see the jewel inside they where polishing to get out. This one just seems like a bunch of random stuff taped together to me.

But if they actually make it to the goal line, and make all those pieces play nice together, find the jewel inside so to speak, then I am sure i'll be throwing some cash at it.

But we are not there yet. Not by a long shot. 
    Well i can have fun with it.

The biggest setback to me to play the current Alpha more often, is really performance. When you use some cheats to get the map and some of its content "offline" as @Octagon7711 mentioned, when i got into it, it just went so much smoother what instantly made it more enjoyable.

In terms of "random stuff taped together", the core of the game is there, the base elements on which you'll play the game (dog-fighting / FPS / EVA..), the Alpha has chunks of legacy code, from netcode to the item system 2.0, until the engine refactors are finished and implemented we'll play on stuff that is just laying there until it gets replaced.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea I admit the game itself is coming together nicely.  Never had a problem with the game itself or the ideas that push further development.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    edited September 2016
    After i set up the user.cfg  and  rolled back my AMD video drivers to 15.11, the game seems pretty stable with crashes happening a lot less.  user.cfg and setting the cpu  part is a huge  "must do".

Realy look at this alpha as a concept phase, does all the parts work and how much work is still needed on other parts. To try and formulate an opinion that this is at all a beta versions, is silly.

For an alpha concept , it truly is amazing.
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
    Acterius said:
    Doug_B said:
    After i set up the user.cfg  and  rolled back my AMD video drivers to 15.11, the game seems pretty stable with crashes happening a lot less.  user.cfg and setting the cpu  part is a huge  "must do".

Realy look at this alpha as a concept phase, does all the parts work and how much work is still needed on other parts. To try and formulate an opinion that this is at all a beta versions, is silly.

For an alpha concept , it truly is amazing.
    Do you guys still need to dl the whole thing or have they finally added an updater?
    The updater needs work, big time. I don't like Torrented files from anywhere web. I like patches from the source.  They have that option by downloading through http in the patcher.  This was the only low for me, was the denial the S.C. community had on the patcher, reminded me of Vanguard SOH beta 1.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Just don't believe half the crap CIG says and you can have fun playing the game.  Also don't fall for those expensive ship packages.  Because more then likely that p2w is going to get worse and not better.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    Just don't believe half the crap CIG says and you can have fun playing the game.  Also don't fall for those expensive ship packages.  Because more then likely that p2w is going to get worse and not better.
    You are  missing the point of why they sell ship. It is to fund the development. Every ship after game launch will be available with in game currency. To many people and I mean a lot of people simple aren't wrapping their head around "crowd funding" yet.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,766
    So what's amazing about it?
    being an astronaut.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Doug_B said:
    filmoret said:
    You are  missing the point of why they sell ship. It is to fund the development. Every ship after game launch will be available with in game currency. To many people and I mean a lot of people simple aren't wrapping their head around "crowd funding" yet.
    And you are naive to think they will just go "ok guys lets stop accepting millions of free dollars from ship sales because the games out now"
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,229
    Being able to "live" in a sandbox sci-fi universe of high grafical fidelity and stories of cinematic quality. 

Have fun