Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Monitor Question

mfruskomfrusko Member UncommonPosts: 20
I'm building a new pc at the moment and I know some of the items I have aren't the best but I am learning a lot from this experience. One thing that I am a bit confused on is a monitor, I understand the 1080 resolution etc but I don't know if I will be able to run a better resolution.  Does anyone have some recommendations for a good monitor please? I have a budget probably between $300-$500.

Here are the parts I have or will have.

CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
 CPU cooler Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
 Motherboard  Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
 Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
 Storage  Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
                Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
 GPU        Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
 PSU        EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
 OS          Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
 Soundcard  Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    What's the hz and resolution you are looking for? A 27" 1440p 144hz seems to be the ideal right now. It runs in that price range.
  • mfruskomfrusko Member UncommonPosts: 20
    @Cleffy thanks for the response Cleffy, that's exactly what I was wondering, if my setup would be able to handle that resolution. Had a long day yesterday and I didn't know the best way to put it. 
    Here is a link to Tom's Hardware on their picks. I have to admit I am not the best at getting just the right monitor. I would suggest a G-Sync monitor, but those come with a $200 nVidia tax.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-monitors,4533.html
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2016
    If you dont intend to upgrade to 700$ GPU 1440p 144Hz monitor is a waste. GTX970 cant handle 1440p 60Hz. You should stick to 1080p.

My suggestion would be to get Freesync monitor as a look into the future as its most likely even NVidia will support it eventually, and if not you buy AMD GPU next. Ive just recently bought Freesync monitro and i can say its really awesome, i turned off Freesync after a bit over a week of using it and...well....just cant stand all the tearing now, its terrible ;P with Freesync everything is buttery smooth.

You have a list of Freesync monitors here if youre interested

(scroll down and choose "monitor" tab"

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync#511acb50-efe1-444a-9dcb-88635bbdaf65={"k":""}#Default={"k":""}

I have LG 23MP68VQ and its awesome, if you dont play teitch games id go for IPS panel 23-27 inch 1080p monitor, mabye even ultrawide.

ultrawide

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=lg+29um67&N=-1&isNodeId=1

27 inch

https://www.amazon.com/LG-1920x1080-D-SUB-DVI-D-Monitor/dp/B01GXEI6CU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472630262&sr=8-1&keywords=27MP68VQ

24 incch

https://www.amazon.com/LG-1920x1080-D-SUB-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B01GXEI56C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472630028&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+24mp68vq

If you dotn want ultravide, this is awesome gaming monitor (preferable for twitch games, 144Hz TN panel (1ms respnse) 24 inch

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-1920x1080-Adaptive-Sync-Widescreen-NX-VUE24A/dp/B0131PBN6U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472629198&sr=1-1&keywords=nixeus

Post edited by Malabooga on
    @Malabooga thanks for the info. That really helps me quite a bit and gives me a bit more to ponder over.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    edited September 2016
    I'd still say 144hz is not really necessary at the moment. But then i hate shooters and the most "twitchy" game I play is LoL so your experience may vary,

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited September 2016
    I am running a GTX 970 with 4K.

About 80% of the games run fine with 4K. The very latest games need to be downscaled. Games like Overwatch have no problems with 4K at all. This is even more true with 1440p. MMOs especially, are not that demanding. You'll be able to run any mainstream MMO in 1440p (and likely 4K) on GTX 970. 

Higher resolution makes a huge difference when reading stuff. It is noticeable, making everything crisper to the eye. This is a large enough benefit for me, outweighing the negatives. Browsing websites and doing non-gaming activities is a lot more comfortable.

The other big reason for high resolution is poor backlighting panels. In the 300$ range, build quality is hit and miss. I've had cases where pixels were very unevenly lit, making individual pixel rows really stand out. This is the kind of thing you can't unsee once you notice it. With higher resolution, this is less of an issue, since the pixels are smaller.

For the downsides. A good amount of software is not 4K (and sometimes not 1440p) friendly. This means the UI size is not optimised. The issue is less true for games, but present in some production software. 3dMax, Maya and the Adobe suite (Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects) do this - apparently it's not an easy fix either, it will take them time to adjust. If you use either of those on a daily basis, I'd advise against 1080p+.

I play a good amount of MMOs, so the performance is a non factor - the 20% of my gaming that is the latest games, I don't mind downscaling resolution. If you mainly play the latest, performance demanding games, 1080p might be more viable.

--

As always, if you have the option to view a monitor somewhere, go see it! In the end, what matters is if it looks good. You won't care for extra numbers on the specs sheet, if the panel is bad.
    @laxie Thanks for that, I'm definitely more informed now than I was before. 
    I am a Blender user, so upscaling the UI is ridiculously easy. In the settings they have a ppi setting. I just up it to what my monitors ppi is. Although it has a limit.