Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Hello Games guilty of Illegal False Marketing?

1235»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Blah the video on the OP is a waste of time.  The guy spends 10 minutes and says absolutely nothing usefull.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Some of the features that some people say are not in the game I have seen in the game or have seen player screens of those features.
    I agree this has gotten way out of hand. Just because you did not see it does not mean it is not in the game.
    There were things not featured in the game that we all thought or were told were going to be in it. I think Sony pressured the studio to push it out the door as is and those things will be patched in later. As it is I have over 60 hours in game and love it. I am exploring a forest planet now. (a feature some said was not in game)
    The planet is teaming with life and I have landed at two outposts with moving machinery (another feature some people said was not in game)
    I love it. I plan on exploring as much of the planet as I can. I found an alien ruin that featured a puzzle that gave me 4 alien words and a point of interest which gave me a massive upgrade to my ship's weapon. On my way to the planet I was attacked by 4 pirates and as I was fighting them off two ships from the space station came out and started blasting them! It was awesome!
    Just going to quote this because I am having the same experience.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Like BioWare. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2016
    Kane72 said:
    Phry said:
    Kane72 said:
    Phry said:
    Kane72 said:
    Phry said:
    Zeplini said:
    I think the biggest issue is the AAA price, if they had stuck to indie price levels all this fuss would be forgiven and forgotten already.
    If the price had been more 'realistic' then yes, they would probably have got away with it, people don't generally hold indie games up to the same kind of standards as you get from AAA rated games, they generally aren't after all, but as soon as there is a AAA price tag on a game then there are expectations associated with it, that the developers had also gone on record stating that the game also had certain features was a huge boost to the games advertising, the combination of these factors fast became a 'perfect storm'.
    Its unlikely that Hello Games will be able to make another game without that game coming under a certain amount of scrutiny after this, nor are people likely to take future press statements they make at face value. :o

if I enjoy something, I'm ok with a high price. Making something cheap doesn't increase my enjoyment of it, it just makes me feel less bad if I don't like it. I love NMS so am happy with the price and accept they will continue to develop it. I'd rather have the game that we have now that wait for another year for something more polished as I can enjoy it now and also enjoy it as they develop it.
    Its good that you are satisfied with your purchase, but would you not agree that your enjoyment would be more if the features that were advertised as being in the game, were in fact, in the game?
    The trouble is, as consumers, if we buy goods that are not as described, where is the incentive for the 'producers' to be honest about their products?
    Its why advertising laws exist after all, and while UK advertising laws are possibly a bit more draconian in nature than other countries, its to ensure that when a product is being described as one thing, it must be that thing.
    I saw the advert for NMS and didn't see anything in it that isn't in the game. I wanted a massive exploration game and that's what I got, to sit and chill with. Great that they are going to add more stuff. The game is no less than what I was expecting.
    A lot of people were expecting to be able to play the game with their friends though, even on these forums until very recently, there were people who were adamant that the game had multiplayer, probably because they had been following the game for some time.
    There will be people who are happy with the game as it stands, and are prepared to wait for more fixes, apparently there is a patch incoming thats over 600mb in size, its hit the PS4 version already and is due for the PC soon, but not everyone is patient enough to wait for the game to become the game they thought they were buying, and who knows when or if that will ever happen?
    I do feel sorry for the developers at HG though, it sounds as though they had little choice in the matter, and are doing the best they can to try and fix things as quickly as possible, an unenviable task and likely a thankless one at this point. O.o

But if you could play the game with your friends, what would you actually do? Stand next to each other and mine plants and rocks?

Sorry, but I can't imagine any big deal about being in the same space as a 'friend'.
    When you're told that it's possible but super rare, then it's actually kind of cool to actually try and meet someone.  why tell people they can do it if it's not possible?

For me, the issue is Sean's silence on these major discrepancies.  Just be transparent and let people know that what things had to be cut to hit release and what you plan on adding for free.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Remember 2010 E3 Microsoft Star Wars Kinect demo? It was said it was gameplay and then later they were called out for it and admitted they lied.

Sony (Ken Kutaragi no less) stated numerous times that the Playstation 3 would run games at 120 FPS. Lie
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
     Ubisoft....well pretty much every game. Watchdogs (2012 E3 graphics were a farce and they were caught lying about it after PC gamers uncovered files to 'unlock' the high end graphics. Plus the hacking mechanism was billed as sophisticated and deep. Lie) ,The Division (Same as Watch Dogs and actually more), Assassin's Creed Unity (Stated numerous time "We will not release the game until it is ready" they released a broken game)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Peter Molyneux...Just Peter Molyneux. He even had to write a short apology about Fable: ehttp://web.archive.org/web/20070404110938/http://allboards.lionhead.com/showthread.php?t=83152

or what about the Milo demo on the Kinect again presented by......Peter Molyneux.( It was staged) Lie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Killzone 2? (Sony AGAIN) Prerendered after telling everyone it was gameplay
    Guerrilla Games revealed that the development team was under a ton of pressure from Sony and the development team decided to work on a trailer to resemble what the actual game would look like.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aliens: Colonial Marines --They were sued over this game. Yeah SEGA and Gearbox (yes the same Gearbox that went on to make the Borderlands series)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Major Nelson lying about the DRM on the Xbox One. Microsoft reversed the DRM policy 2 weeks later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill Gates saying this to sell the Xbox
     "3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals. We’re approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What about the online campaign against Mass Effect 3 and it's ending?

"This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C." - Casey Hudson-Director

"Whether you're happy or angry at the ending, know this: it is an ending. BioWare will not do a "Lost" and leave fans with more questions than answers after finishing the game." - Mike Gamble -Associate Producer

None of that was true.

An online campaign was picked up and raised $80,000 for the Child’s Play charity in hopes that Bioware would develop a better ending to the trilogy because it was hated so much.
    The FTC was contacted about it for false advertising and was thrown out.
    Bioware ended up releasing an 'Extended Cut' in response.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This is in-game graphics" said by many developers at every single E3 or Gamescom ever.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Thief will not be dumbed down for casuals" Lie. It was. We waited 10 years for a new Thief game and were sold on the idea that they were going back to their roots with the last one. Eidos Montreal has dumbed down many franchises and promised they would not do that to a series as beloved as the Thief series. They lied.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Batman Arkham Knight  No explanation needed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spore- Will Wright's  'creature' simulator will allow players to evolve from the smallest of creatures to developing a huge civilization with an unprecedented level of detail and content. Many of the more intricate features shown off in demos were removed from the final game, they said in order to appeal to a more mainstream user-base. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bungie repeatedly said ahead of release that Destiny had a "10-year plan" in order to keep gamers coming back. Really? In days players had soft capped and were looking for content. 'Taken King' probably brought the game to be what many were lead to believe the original release was going to be.
    WarZ players (Infestation) players claimed fraud on the developer

This kind of thing actually happens all the time.
    What are you talking about here Blue , its been made very clear to this community by Axehilt that Developers dont lie , How can any of this be ..:)       
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    laserit said:
    Remember 2010 E3 Microsoft Star Wars Kinect demo? It was said it was gameplay and then later they were called out for it and admitted they lied.

Sony (Ken Kutaragi no less) stated numerous times that the Playstation 3 would run games at 120 FPS. Lie
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
     Ubisoft....well pretty much every game. Watchdogs (2012 E3 graphics were a farce and they were caught lying about it after PC gamers uncovered files to 'unlock' the high end graphics. Plus the hacking mechanism was billed as sophisticated and deep. Lie) ,The Division (Same as Watch Dogs and actually more), Assassin's Creed Unity (Stated numerous time "We will not release the game until it is ready" they released a broken game)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Peter Molyneux...Just Peter Molyneux. He even had to write a short apology about Fable: ehttp://web.archive.org/web/20070404110938/http://allboards.lionhead.com/showthread.php?t=83152

or what about the Milo demo on the Kinect again presented by......Peter Molyneux.( It was staged) Lie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Killzone 2? (Sony AGAIN) Prerendered after telling everyone it was gameplay
    Guerrilla Games revealed that the development team was under a ton of pressure from Sony and the development team decided to work on a trailer to resemble what the actual game would look like.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aliens: Colonial Marines --They were sued over this game. Yeah SEGA and Gearbox (yes the same Gearbox that went on to make the Borderlands series)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Major Nelson lying about the DRM on the Xbox One. Microsoft reversed the DRM policy 2 weeks later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill Gates saying this to sell the Xbox
     "3-D chips in the Xbox would be three times faster than anything on the market and offer nearly unlimited graphical visuals. We’re approaching the level of detail seen in Toy Story 2"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What about the online campaign against Mass Effect 3 and it's ending?

"This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C." - Casey Hudson-Director

"Whether you're happy or angry at the ending, know this: it is an ending. BioWare will not do a "Lost" and leave fans with more questions than answers after finishing the game." - Mike Gamble -Associate Producer

None of that was true.

An online campaign was picked up and raised $80,000 for the Child’s Play charity in hopes that Bioware would develop a better ending to the trilogy because it was hated so much.
    The FTC was contacted about it for false advertising and was thrown out.
    Bioware ended up releasing an 'Extended Cut' in response.
    "This is in-game graphics" said by many developers at every single E3 or Gamescom ever.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Thief will not be dumbed down for casuals" Lie. It was. We waited 10 years for a new Thief game and were sold on the idea that they were going back to their roots with the last one. Eidos Montreal has dumbed down many franchises and promised they would not do that to a series as beloved as the Thief series. They lied.
    Batman Arkham Knight  No explanation needed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spore- Will Wright's  'creature' simulator will allow players to evolve from the smallest of creatures to developing a huge civilization with an unprecedented level of detail and content. Many of the more intricate features shown off in demos were removed from the final game, they said in order to appeal to a more mainstream user-base. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bungie repeatedly said ahead of release that Destiny had a "10-year plan" in order to keep gamers coming back. Really? In days players had soft capped and were looking for content. 'Taken King' probably brought the game to be what many were lead to believe the original release was going to be.
    WarZ players (Infestation) players claimed fraud on the developer

This kind of thing actually happens all the time.
    You make a great case for consumer protection legislation in the Industry.

IMHO just because something is a product of the entertainment industry. Shouldn't mean that they don't have to be held to the same advertising standards as other industries.

The industry is showing to be incapable of controlling itself.
    This is what I have been saying, the games industry needs something to happen like new legal standards for software advertising or some other legal action.  It just seems to get worse every year, now instead of subjective things like, "the best detail of a city ever" or "graphic quality on par with Toy Story" we get flat out "Is there multiplayer - YES" when there are not even any player models in the game to have interaction with.

To make matters worse, the gaming media does little to curve this kind of behavior.  How many stories from major gaming media called out Sean Murray for flat out lying about multiplayer?  If this had happened in any other industry, the media would have been all over it.  Look at the stories of false advertising above and tell me how many hard hitting stories from the gaming media covered these...

How much worse will it get in 5 years?  In 10?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited September 2016

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    ^ There are some f#%king yahoos in Middle America. No debate. Holy sh!t.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    At least we're getting entertaining videos calling out Sean Murraynieux