Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Legion a mini review

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
So here we are at another new World of warcraft expansion. Nothing new there, or is there?

actually i think Blizzard finally realised that they need to spice up endgame with much much more content...  Also they saw people love character progression.. And so they did (thats where the wepons come in)... Also alting for casuall players offers quite a fresh experience because there is a huge chunck of story and content for each class..   

So far i am still in the leveling process, i am a casuall player and really enjoy the quests and chuncks of story (i actually read quest texts) the stories and lore are well tought, the 5 zones feel hugely different..  The 4 dungeons i have seen are diverse in content amd enjoyable...  And there is more to Come..  The dynamic levels of the zones are a huge step forward... Also visiting places in the old worlds for quests is fun, espescialy if you havent been there for atleast half a decade.  I hope that they will add the dynamic levels system to the old worlds in the future, i would definately love to play some of the old expansions at a decent challenge level. ( they could even offer 3 difficulty levels, much like diablo).  In the end, i have seen quite some things succesfull in diablo making its way to legion, same goes for GW2..  

Normally i stick with WoW for about a month, but this time, if Blizzard holds trough to its promisse of continously adding content, i might even stay longer... Because all3 specs of my Shaman play like a blast..   We will see how this continous tough, it would not be the first time for Blizzard not keeping their promise.

so far i like  the experience very much, taking it step by step...  Looking forward to the endgame now...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I think that by now the most important thing with WoW is to take it as slow as possible -especially if you are coming back after a break due to a burn out.
    Many people still approach it like it is a race, hit max. level in 5 days and unsub after 3 month. Like they haven't played any of the previous addons or expect it to be different this time.
    Unless you are a progression raider, you have like a minimum of 12 month to do your thing.

I see many more players playing mostly on their own these days, with a friend or two and without a guild. When i ask why, they say that they like to set their own pace and dont want to be bothered and just enjoy the game. I went from being a very social person to be more of a loner in games, so i can relate to these reasons.
    So if i would go back to Legion, my two rules would be:
    Smell the roses, hug the trees, read the damn texts. Google the lore if you run into an interesting character.
    And play whatever you like, dont let class (un)balance bother you. By now we know the literal "politics" of Blizzard with classes. Don't make that your politics and don't let it interfere with your perception of your character.

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96
    This so far is  in many years is one of the best expansions.  To be honest I loved MOP. WOD was awful,  and cataclysm was absolutely abysmal.  

I think Blizzard have found a really good balance with everything so far in this expansion.  The zones are lovely and the questing system is actually preety nice.  

I am am taking it nice and slow.  I feel after 11+ years of playing wow I don't feel the need to rush, gear or up raid.

So far so good.  GG blizzard

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I must say I am a little concerned I just hit 105 but I have only completed one zone and completed just 2 of the 6 chapters of another.  But I am guilty of taking up all the side activates I run across and crafting quests.  If not for the scaling I'd feel cheated in content so I just hope the reward scale effectively to make it rewarding at max level.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Playing the game since release on and off but enjoy this expansion more than the last few ones , taking it slow only like lvl 104 at the moment but yeh its very good.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Haven't posted in a while, but yeah, Legion is fantastic and I think Blizzard has cracked the nut on the hybrid linear + open world questing experience. It's kinda of like Skyrim, mixed with GW2 events, mixed with WoW hubs.

Also the zones are really well crafted, really immersive and atmospheric. The only downside is that blizzard made so many of the classes so fun to play that I want to level almost all of them but don't have enough time!

So far 110 Mage (14 arcane / 11 frost) 110 Pally (13 holy / 11 ret). Probably will stick to 2 for now, but I really want to level my monk, just not sure I can keep three up.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    WOD was hailed by all when it came out and then when you got to end game and garrisons, people turned on it.

Hopefully this will be different.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Kane72 said:
    WOD was hailed by all when it came out and then when you got to end game and garrisons, people turned on it.

Hopefully this will be different.
    We will see in 3 months...  or maybe in 13 months...

However, i think Blizzard realises they need to invest in expansion patches if they want to keep the game alive or even make the  numbers grow...   so from a financial point of view, it would be wise to keep investing in more content betweeen expansions...  

With the 7.1 patch comming things look acceptable... however early on WOD also had some content patches...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited September 2016
    I won't be buying Legion. This is because I miss the vanilla talent trees. It was really good fun to customise your character in this way and really feel the raw power difference.

Since then, I've only played the expansions for a few weeks before getting bored of them.

I've learnt my lesson to not buy WoW again - sadly.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    At level 110 there just seems so much more to do than there ever did before. I think with patches, this could be the one they really got right and hopefully have learned their lesson.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2016
    Sadly, I've got bored at endgame. World Quests are just dailies in disguise and 80% of them (rough guesstimate) are just repeats of a quest you did in that zone previously. Dungeons.. progressive or not, are just constantly repeating the same thing. I hated the progressive Rifts in Diablo III and I don't expect it to be any different here since WOW endgame is basically becoming Diablo III.

Abandoning previous content is a major problem as well. There is very little reason to ever leave the Broken Isles except to go to a main city for the auction house. World Quests should have been all over the world, not just in the Broken Isles.

Equipment is boooooring as well. There's very few legendaries.. so almost all items are just "these four stats you need". Where's all the effects? Passive buffs on items? On use skills on equipment? Sure, Artifact weapons are cool and all but they are a massive grind once the power needed for them ramps up... and to get it effectively you have to grind 'more' world quests (dailies).

Legion is a good expansion but for serious players i.e. not casuals, you quickly run out of things to do unless you're happy repeating things every day and grinding for weeks on end.

The thought of logging in and repeating everything each day or working towards some achievement grind is destroying my soul. There's FAR too many quality games out there for me to be stuck doing these redundant things long term. 

I had fun while it lasted but I honestly feel like I've completed Legion. I honestly thought I was taking my time with it as well but I guess I've probably played more hours than most people in such a short time. Hopefully the patch content will be good and regular.

Bottom line, it was worth the money. I've put a lot of hours into it and had fun but don't expect it to last forever.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I just ... re-subbed ! Bought Deluxe edition and 60 days gamecard time ! Why? Don't know but I bought 1 week ago, gems ( I KNOW!! :| ) worth of 50e on Clash Royale ( mobile , I KNOW!!! )  and just saw how much pay to win is that game and after 2 days I uninstalled the game even so, I have left 25e worth of gems in that game! I didn't played anything in the last 6 + months and I though a mobile game will just .. be OK!

NO! Is not! Pay or just wait like .... few hours to several + hours just to unlock a chest worth of ( 99% ) nothing. You can't even play the game if you don't pay! I mean, yea, you "could" play it, but ... you will earn nothing, and I mean nothing after like 30 mins ! 

So , I decided if I want to have a little fun when I have time, I will do it in the classic way ! 

I will start a Warrior Elf just now from lvl 1 and start playing the classic way, with quests and such !

Hope I can tank a bit in dungeons :) 

See ya all in-game!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited September 2016
    I won't be buying Legion. This is because I miss the vanilla talent trees. It was really good fun to customise your character in this way and really feel the raw power difference.

Since then, I've only played the expansions for a few weeks before getting bored of them.

I've learnt my lesson to not buy WoW again - sadly.

I changed my mind and bought it. 

The reasons are:

1) World PvP has been successfully re-introduced.

2) Fire mages are back on form (my favourite class).

3) There is an iPhone app that takes care of the garrison quests. I like the idea of progressing while I go to the loo, have lunch etc.

4) WoW's competition is unfortunately shit. For example, just look at Black Desert Online now.

5) A lot of the classes just look more interesting and different.

I still might end up getting disillusioned, but at least I've got a lot of content to explore before I reach that decision.

I get the feeling that Blizzard threw everything and the kitchen sink at this expansion. It must have cost a lot of money to develop.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    expresso said:
    I must say I am a little concerned I just hit 105 but I have only completed one zone and completed just 2 of the 6 chapters of another.  But I am guilty of taking up all the side activates I run across and crafting quests.  If not for the scaling I'd feel cheated in content so I just hope the reward scale effectively to make it rewarding at max level.
    The rewards do scale to your level and class.  

Regardless if people like it or not, this is a phenomenal expansion that shows Blizzard not only listens to their customers but understands how to implement it in a way that is simply fun to play.  I had almost given up on WoW and on a whim decided to buy Legion just to see (I knew I'd have some fun with leveling) and got hooked.

For me it brings the magic back to Azeroth that makes me want to explore and learn new things.

Sadly, I've got bored at endgame. World Quests are just dailies in disguise and 80% of them (rough guesstimate) are just repeats of a quest you did in that zone previously. Dungeons.. progressive or not, are just constantly repeating the same thing. I hated the progressive Rifts in Diablo III and I don't expect it to be any different here since WOW endgame is basically becoming Diablo III.

Abandoning previous content is a major problem as well. There is very little reason to ever leave the Broken Isles except to go to a main city for the auction house. World Quests should have been all over the world, not just in the Broken Isles.

Equipment is boooooring as well. There's very few legendaries.. so almost all items are just "these four stats you need". Where's all the effects? Passive buffs on items? On use skills on equipment? Sure, Artifact weapons are cool and all but they are a massive grind once the power needed for them ramps up... and to get it effectively you have to grind 'more' world quests (dailies).

Legion is a good expansion but for serious players i.e. not casuals, you quickly run out of things to do unless you're happy repeating things every day and grinding for weeks on end.

The thought of logging in and repeating everything each day or working towards some achievement grind is destroying my soul. There's FAR too many quality games out there for me to be stuck doing these redundant things long term. 

I had fun while it lasted but I honestly feel like I've completed Legion. I honestly thought I was taking my time with it as well but I guess I've probably played more hours than most people in such a short time. Hopefully the patch content will be good and regular.

Bottom line, it was worth the money. I've put a lot of hours into it and had fun but don't expect it to last forever.
    Completely respect your opinion, Legion (or WoW for that matter) isn't going to please everyone.  I dont know how long you have played WoW (I started with MoP) but the two expansions I played never had me go back to old content either -- a problem where I agree with you.  But Legion does try to address that by having some Quests taking you back to the old zones to tell a story, so they are doing more with old zones in the new expansion than at least the prior 2.

I thought the whole point of Legendaries was for them to be rare.  If there were MANY legendaries how Legendary would they be?  They should have a low drop rate.

I definitely understand your complaint about buffs and such.  That is a valid criticism as Blizzard seems to have "simplified" the classes either for larger casual user base or to make fighting more dynamic.  I see this two ways.  One I love it because it makes combat fun and Active without it being active "free form" combat which gets old to me.  I don't like it because they took everything that made my hunter viable and fun away making him unplayable anymore.  And that was my main.  Though on the good side I have found the Outlaw Rogue as an acceptable and extremely fun to play replacement.

The thing for me with the world quests is 1) the ability to choose what I want to do and 2) the difference things to do.  Of course if you stare at it you will always do the same thing. WoW is a MMO after all.  But its the *way* you do those repetitive things that Blizzard has mastered.

I dont look at the world quests as a list of things to do.  I see them as things that are in the world that I may happen across as I just explore the zones.  And that reason or desire to explore is what I felt Blizzard has been missing all these years.

Finally, I'll end with the fact that the expansion just launched and I have WAY more stuff that I WANT to do that I dont even know if I have time for.  The first patch looks great and by how the world quests mechanics works makes it easy to see it extended to the rest of Azeroth (when they deem fit).  They can simply add new world quests to rotate through (make them event-based, etc) as well as putting world quests all throughout Azeroth.  Add in the possibility that they may extend the level scaling to ALL zones and you have yourself a pretty good portfolio of content extending life in an aging game.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited September 2016
    Pro's :

- Levelling quests are very good.
    - Instances so far are quite good (didnt see all yet).

Meh's :

- Professions are meh. I don't see the meaningful overhaul of professions. The recipes are very uninspired (just look at profs like engineering and inscription). All they did was added quests to them, which has nothing to do with crafting.
    - endgame World Quests are made convenient. But I would be surprised if you are not bored out of your skull with them quite fast. They are just repeated quests you already did during lvling. The way it ties in with getting artifact power for your artifact makes it a plain old dailies kind of grind.

Con's :

- Artifact progression is way out of whack. During lvling you hit this very nice pace that feels you are actually progressing. At lvl110ish (maybe before) you hit this wall because trait requirements make big jumps (from 1k to 6.8k, afraid to name higher numbers). Artifact knowledge research is there to counter that, right? But you might have to wait a few weeks to get any meaningful bonus from that (timelocked research). Better not pick up those treasures now?
    - Mythic dungeons locked behind rep. Makes no sense storywise, but blizzards needs to slow you down. Also, not sure if account wide unlock. If it isn't ,then have fun!,  altoholic.
    - Too many lineair things. The rep grind for unlocks. The quest rewarded prof recipes with no alternative way of obtaining (no buying from ah). No avoiding of the mandatory instances. No avoiding of the mandatory mission table for class campaign. Also, if you don't know that you need to do that, you end up running the same instance several times, even on a toon you dont plan to do any instance on.
    - Being ancient mana drug pusher.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited September 2016
    Few weeks in now and you realize endgame is four Emissary world quests and maybe a dungeon a day. LFR is a joke (835 ilvl), crafting is horrible, and we're back to WoD.

Quit again already.

Edit: Oh yeah, they destroyed any motivation to level alts and/or play other specs. 
    I dont know what people are looking for in a MMORPG, but I am still enjoying Legion as a game.  Level scaling and world quests gives the content a more 'open world' feel more so than any other expansion.  The quests are engaging to the point I want to finish them all.  The stories in the quests are relevant to the expansion.  Sometimes I just run through zones and find new things all the time (outside of world quests).  But I like exploring.

I like the idea of Artifact progression as it gives you something to work on after level 110.  Researching artifact knowledge grows exponentially.  The more research your start the longer it takes but the greater the increase in Artifact Power going forward.

It feels like the game is structurally built to slow you down (which isn't a bad thing to me) as I am really getting into the content.

I dont know much about crafting as I just started. I'm a skinner/LW and currently working towards getting my Obliterum forge (which is an alternate way to improve gear up to ilvl 860 I believe - but could be wrong).