Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its.....so.....ugly

1235»

Comments

• Mikey0114Mikey0114 Member Posts: 310
    I can't wait to learn what you are talking about mate! lol I am just so excited to try this game, with all it has to offer image
  • Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Traken
    I'd say something witty...but that's been taken care of.The graphics in place are set to "Low." When release hits you will have bushes, grass, trees, better textures, hopefully some better modelling on buildings, and hopefully a little less strange bone arangement for people. Anyways, I still play Morrowind and am playing through Gothic right now. They are ugly (morrowind gets better with mods) but are down-right fun to play.

Hopefully it will have this, and hopefully it will have that.

If they need to turn their graphics down to test 'gameplay', there is something seriously wrong - especially with the kind of systems people have in this day and age.

I chalk it up to a poor graphics engine because they just don't have the resources to make or buy a better one. And since the game has been built around it, they will not get much better than what you are seeing now.

For all those waiting patiently to play it, have fun anyway!

• Entreri28Entreri28 Member Posts: 589

Originally posted by Land_Shark

Originally posted by Traken
    I'd say something witty...but that's been taken care of.

The graphics in place are set to "Low." When release hits you will have bushes, grass, trees, better textures, hopefully some better modelling on buildings, and hopefully a little less strange bone arangement for people. Anyways, I still play Morrowind and am playing through Gothic right now. They are ugly (morrowind gets better with mods) but are down-right fun to play.

Hopefully it will have this, and hopefully it will have that.

If they need to turn their graphics down to test 'gameplay', there is something seriously wrong - especially with the kind of systems people have in this day and age.

I chalk it up to a poor graphics engine because they just don't have the resources to make or buy a better one. And since the game has been built around it, they will not get much better than what you are seeing now.

For all those waiting patiently to play it, have fun anyway!

In the review Ferox wrote he said there were some stability issues so that could be one reason for having graphics turned down.

Your mind is like a parachute, it's only useful when it's open.
    Don't forget, you can use the block function on trolls.

• Devil21Devil21 Member Posts: 74

People have said it time and time again. Yes, the graphics look bad, you have to keep in mind it's beta. I'm not saying this game is going to have amazing graphics but even when they are on the lowest quality, which they are set at right now, it's not half bad. I enjoy pretty graphics as much as the next guy, so I'm just waiting until they are close to being done the game and can give us 'true' screenshots. Until then, remember it's an unfinished game so you can only be so critical.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    Just from looking at the more recent screen shots, I dont think this game is ugly at all.   You have to look at the characters instead of the terrain.   Im sure the terrain is whats turned down graphics wise and will be able to be adjusted up in time.   I actually like the graphics myself.   It would be nice to see a screenie with the graphics turned up though..../hint hint     image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383
    I am only concerned with how boxy everything looks. I know the reasoning behind the detail being left out but I haven't seen one screenshot that doesn't look like some kind of cheap educational DOS program made for elementary school children in the mid 1990s.

• silentstrikesilentstrike Member Posts: 7

you guys keep talking about bad graphics hehe, take a look at DAoC, look at the graphics they started with on then look at what they have now, that game is a perfect example of a good dev team, (I have not played since SI, but I did play on the 14 day trial a couple weeks ago with the camolot engine, wow!)

if roma-victor updates there graphics with every major expansion like daoc did, they will have no problems :)

• CeraphimCeraphim Member UncommonPosts: 21
    The sole fact that they've put off the graphics to concentrate on making sure the gameplay is working correctly tells me this game's developers are light years ahead of 99% of mmo devs out there.

Ceraphim

• redcoat22redcoat22 Member Posts: 12

SWG has proven that good graphics will not carry a game...  but I just cant see this game getting released anytime in the next two years. 

I hope they delay this until it is much more complete...  otherwise it will suffer a WWII online launch (which 5 years later it is still suffering a bad reputation for inspite of being a great game now)

• arkasiarkasi Member Posts: 22

Is there any way to "try out" this "perfect" game play in advanche?

IF the gfx keeps the same it was in 2004 (copyright of the screens is from 2004?) the game is not playable, even with "uber game play" - well - I ll try to take a look ^^

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

There is currently no trial version as of yet.

I am pretty sure this is what RBL has in mind

http://rv.mmosite.com/sreenshots/ss1.shtml

• PaninPanin Member Posts: 17

This topic is enormous! Good to see RV have so much support! I also belive this topic is useless. Just because some .... belive the graphics aren't good (anyway, they are) it's no need to start a discussion 12 pages long!

(Anarius here, anyway..)

• n2k3156n2k3156 Member Posts: 523

Why on earth would you play an MMO for the graphics?

Gameplay > Graphics any day of the week on my priority list.

Oh, and if I see one more person say that EVE's graphics are amazingly better than everyone elses, I think I'll scream.

NGE Refugee.

• jubaljubal Member Posts: 9

I don't know how many times it has been said in the 12 pages but graphics < gameplay.  A game being pretty won't keep the playerbase interested nearly as long as good gameplay will.

• Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257
    Lol medieval rome <rolls eyes> Medieval Rome would be Byzantium sigh. image

/<puts on father's voice> I tell you this fixation with graphics has shown how spoiled and decadent gamers have become why back in the eighties we didn't even have graphics ,or a mouse for that matter! /<father's voice off>  We use to have to use something really interesting our own imagination, and people wonder why kids are so dumb these days lol. image

• PaninPanin Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Aetius73
    Lol medieval rome <rolls eyes> Medieval Rome would be Byzantium sigh. image

Let's just face it. Most gamers aren't exactly proffesors in history!
    ::::39::

Originally posted by Panin

Let's just face it. Most gamers aren't exactly proffesors in history!
    ::::39::

Sad but true. I always enjoyed a game better set in a historical context by reading up on it that way I could appreciate things a bit more. In this particular case though I was taught that knowledge in a 10th grade world history class. Defintly a long way away from high end university history courses. Although if High School history is anything like elementary level is now (my wife is a elementary school teacher) its probably all just a bunch of touchy feely liberal crap anyways so in the end you may be correct.

• shallyshally Member UncommonPosts: 9

wow sucks it's have animated cartoon graphics for under 12 years childrens.

RV will be a great, complex and mature game.

• scubastevescubasteve Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by royalsea3
    I'm happy you think its ugly, hopefully this means I won't see you ingame when I play it.  If you actually cared, those screenshots don't have all the graphics turned on.  RedBedlam don't care at the moment what there screens look like, and for christ sakes.  I've played runescape and 2D games, these graphics look like a god sent from what I usually play that have alot of content.

even if the graphics are bad, i agree and hope it turns away the idiots

pwnt

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Agreed, hopefully the moderate graphics will be the filter that keeps the eye-candy kids away.

Other than that, slap a Mature 17+ rating on the game!

Originally posted by scubasteve

even if the graphics are bad, i agree and hope it turns away the idiots

Amen to that.