Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing.

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2016
    feroshus said:
    To make it more clear for you, since I'm pretty sure you're still going to have trouble understanding...

Both developers have 60 dollars. Of that 60, one developer will only have 12 to spend on development, while RSI (supposedly) will have 48. That's where the multiplier of 4 comes from. It doesn't mean that you get to multiply the original 60 by 4. It's really quite simple grade school stuff here.

To make it even simpler for you because you're clearly having trouble understanding how the reverse is also true....

Chris Roberts is saying for a publisher to produce a game with a similar development budget they would need a gross budget of 4x the crowdfunding amount which is why the word equivalent is being used. ie a game of equivalent quality requires 4x the amount of funding if it uses the publisher method, capiche?

It really should be quite a basic thing to get your head around.

Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    The main issue will be the load of people using old hardware.  There hasn't been a game since Witcher 3 that's pushed PC technology after 2012.  All those holding on to sandybridge systems and crap AMD systems will make a huge fuss before giving in and upgrading.  
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    IAmMMO said:
    The main issue will be the load of people using old hardware.  There hasn't been a game since Witcher 3 that's pushed PC technology after 2012.  All those holding on to sandybridge systems and crap AMD systems will make a huge fuss before giving in and upgrading.  
    You're assuming that SC will push PC technology? By the time it "releases" other games will have beaten them to the finish line. I wouldn't be holding your breath for any jumps in innovation from the SC team, they still haven't figured out how to deliver a patch without making you re-download the entire game.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited September 2016
    Kefo said:
    You're assuming that SC will push PC technology? By the time it "releases" other games will have beaten them to the finish line. I wouldn't be holding your breath for any jumps in innovation from the SC team, they still haven't figured out how to deliver a patch without making you re-download the entire game.

Neither does Crytek and a bunch of other engine developers who think packaging all the files into compressed bigger ones without a system to patch inside the compressed large fiile is an awesome concept (see anything made with the Unity engine).
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited September 2016
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:

Neither does Crytek and a bunch of other engine developers who think packaging all the files into compressed bigger ones without a system to patch inside the compressed large fiile is an awesome concept (see anything made with the Unity engine).
    Please educate yourself about Patcher development ...
    The Patcher has nothing to do with the game engine.

Edit: Though you can include your patching system in the game engine if you want to make something funny like a background patching client - but still that's nothing the Game Engine would be concerned.

And as for Unity, you can buy nice xDelta based scripts for 30$

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    Please educate us then, why are the CIG developers doing Engine changes to make it happen then... 
    edited September 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    Please educate us then, why are the CIG developers doing Engine changes to make it happen then...
    A patcher needs to patch the delta of a file, not the file itself, this is something that's been done every day in every major backup solution. The patcher just doesn't care if it is a 2GB jpg, database or pak file - it just patches the delta.

Do you want to learn more?
    https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta

Edit: a quick search in the Unity asset store brought up stuff like these:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41417
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19457

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited September 2016
    A patcher needs to patch the delta of a file, not the file itself, this is something that's been done every day in every major backup solution. The patcher just doesn't care if it is a 2GB jpg, database or pak file - it just patches the delta.

Far development reports go and their words on this, they would need to make changes on the engine to make the necessary changes on the launcher happen. And that was claimed towards delta patching.

But you say they don't need to change stuff on the engine...

You need to get hired by CIG and teach them how to develop a game then, as far you say you know more about this than them.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Nyctelios said:
    3.0 will be a breakthrough for sure and there is something bothering me: There will be a huge increase in many things, demanding more power, yet they seems confident about 3.0 - which makes me wonder if they have a performance patch card on their sleeve ready to pull out in case of bad press.
    I'd assume optimisation is steadily worked on. In one of the dev interviews, they said the client can run something like 20-40 NPC characters close to you (don't recall the exact number). This is bound to steadily increase.

I think they can pull off 3.0 with what they currently have. They will simply adjust the number of NPCs around, given the performance level they can achieve.

In the long term, they will absolutely need a big level-of-detail patch. Something that dramatically adjusts the detail of far away objects. I'd assume this is not in yet. This could potentially take them months to develop.
    edited September 2016
    laxie said:
    I think they can pull off 3.0 with what they currently have. They will simply adjust the number of NPCs around, given the performance level they can achieve.
    The SC's performance is actually pretty good.

This is the client-side own, that falls on your hardware. When loading in Crusader with some cheats to make it load "offline", the performance is just 3,4x more FPS than connection to the normal servers.

So if they deal with the awful current netcode on 3.0, the client performance is not really going to be a problem.
    MaxBacon said:

Far development reports go and their words on this, they would need to make changes on the engine to make the necessary changes on the launcher happen. And that was claimed towards delta patching.

But you say they don't need to change stuff on the engine...

You need to get hired by CIG and teach them how to develop a game then, as far you say you know more about this than them.
    Sorry I worked many years for SOE and a live as Musician / Independent Dev suits me better.

The cake is a lie.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:

Edit: Though you can include your patching system in the game engine if you want to make something funny like a background patching client - but still that's nothing the Game Engine would be concerned.

???? I'm very well aware what is a delta patcher. Just like, I'm very aware of the fact that 99% of the games I download patches for makes me redownload entire files (say hello to pak files) instead of using a delta patcher including most Unity and CryEngine games I own. I doubt making a delta patcher is has simple as you are claiming it to be.
    edited September 2016
    azarhal said:
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:

???? I'm very well aware what is a delta patcher. Just like, I'm very aware of the fact that 99% of the games I download patches for makes me redownload entire files (say hello to pak files) instead of using a delta patcher including most Unity and CryEngine games I own. I doubt making a delta patcher is has simple as you are claiming it to be.
    That's cool - I doubt that to bake a cheesecake is simple, but that is because I can't bake.

The cake is a lie.

• KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Acterius said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:
    "Publisher"? "550 m"? What are you talking about?

Another person in denial about NMS, huh? 

You haven't seen this I assume?

$122 million * 4.5 equals equivalent budget of $550 million

NMS is down to 38% positive on Steam, concurrency has dropped from 200,000+ to 4000 in 2 weeks, there might be denial going on but it most certainly isn't from me.

Yeah and I have a comic here that is proof spider man is real.
    Dude I have to live with him and he is one big trouble maker. 
    OMG you are aunt May?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    feroshus said:
    To make it more clear for you, since I'm pretty sure you're still going to have trouble understanding...

Both developers have 60 dollars. Of that 60, one developer will only have 12 to spend on development, while RSI (supposedly) will have 48. That's where the multiplier of 4 comes from. It doesn't mean that you get to multiply the original 60 by 4. It's really quite simple grade school stuff here.
    So both developers get 115 million, by your example the one with a publisher only gets 28.8 million to build a game while CIG gets the whole 115 million.  Then by those standard, to compare apples to apples, a normal publisher getting 460 million would be the same as CIG getting 115 million

6 on one side and a half dozen on the other.  It doesn't matter how you look at it, without a publisher CIG gets the entire 115 million to build the game while any normal developer with a publisher would need to bring in 460 million to have the same amount for development as CIG has.

I think you are right, seems like simple grade school stuff to me

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Doug_B said:
    I've been waiting my entire life for this kind of gaming experience. I think alot of people who are in doubt or still think it is a scam will be epically surprised at how engaging this game will be. The scale of what they have is huge now and itis still in alpha. I will not use the word potential because it is beyond that point.

I still like Black Desert Online, but S.C. is just better.

Can't wait for 3.0 :chuffed:
    I don't think people are going to bail off the hate train, its going to completely stop moving and they are going to quietly step off and disappear in the crowd of people that will be playing this game.  The knuckle heads don't realize Chris Roberts team has spent the last 3+ years building the foundation for their game along side the content creators.  Now finally that the foundation is in place all the work is rapidly coming together. The content finally has a place to go.  Most gamer's don't understand game development at all, and the vocal haters are just like a bunch of kids that want their ice cream, immediately, and don't understand whats taking so long.

Moving forward your going to see rapid content updates.  I would say the game is about a year and half away from completion and its going to be simply amazing.
  • OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    I kind of got the impression a lot of the hate is being led from devs from failed projects or people in the profession stuck in a crappy company who wouldn't understand or recognise innovation and creativity if it blah blah blah, you get the picture, people who's dreams have been crushed who begrudge and try to actively prevent others from achieving. Horrible cretins! It isn't difficult to get a bunch of teenagers to join you in hating something now is it :)
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    azarhal said:
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:

That's cool - I doubt that to bake a cheesecake is simple, but that is because I can't bake.
    Dude you are arguing with people who believe everything CIG says.  CIG is famous for making very simple things seem complex and expensive.  It is how they brainwash their victims.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    filmoret said:
    azarhal said:
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:

Dude you are arguing with people who believe everything CIG says.  CIG is famous for making very simple things seem complex and expensive.  It is how they brainwash their victims.

You forgot to end with

Have fun! 

• YakutoYakuto Member UncommonPosts: 61
    filmoret said:
    azarhal said:
    azarhal said:
    Kefo said:

Well, I can not say I know what the future holds for SC. I have however played the game in the state it is in and honestly, even if I were to judge the game based on its 2.5 state, It is enjoyable and has enough detail/content to keep me busy for hours on end. I have spent 75 so far and eah I do not regret it as the current version of the game as unfinished and unpolished as it is, has many elements to it that are just better than anything else that's been released into the market in the last 5 - 10 years (and I am only basing that on the level of enjoyment I personally experienced while playing the game.) I have seen the video for 3.0 and yes its sorta a tech demo, but honestly, most of the stuff there is what I want to see in games that are set in space.
    edited September 2016
    Yakuto said:
    Well, I can not say I know what the future holds for SC. I have however played the game in the state it is in and honestly, even if I were to judge the game based on its 2.5 state, It is enjoyable and has enough detail/content to keep me busy for hours on end. I have spent 75 so far and eah I do not regret it as the current version of the game as unfinished and unpolished as it is, has many elements to it that are just better than anything else that's been released into the market in the last 5 - 10 years (and I am only basing that on the level of enjoyment I personally experienced while playing the game.) I have seen the video for 3.0 and yes its sorta a tech demo, but honestly, most of the stuff there is what I want to see in games that are set in space.
    Yeah agreed. The current Alpha itself can provide many hours of unique gameplay content (through its missions and locations) and many others depending on you in emergent play.

At least it's quite O.o for me that I've spent more hours on the SC's Alpha as the limited, unfinished and unstable game that it is than on NMS, and darn it I bought that at a triple-A price!

At the end, one does not need to be brain-washed to have fun playing SC, especially when during free flights when I played with friends, they liked it and pledged. It's already a fun game to play that with performance and stability improvements up to content expansion, it can only get better. 
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I just got around to setting up solo mode for the game it was actually fun but somewhat buggy.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    MaxBacon said:
    At the end, one does not need to be brain-washed to have fun playing SC, at least i haven't noticed any brain-washing action when during free flights got to play with friends that liked it and bought it afterwards.
    I have done a few free flight. Have yet to see something that would actually make me buy. It all seems pretty "Meh!" at this point. Whenever I play I always feel like I can see the duct tape keeping it all together. It just have that feel to it. I have played other bug ridden alphas where you could actually see the jewel inside they where polishing to get out. This one just seems like a bunch of random stuff taped together to me.

But if they actually make it to the goal line, and make all those pieces play nice together, find the jewel inside so to speak, then I am sure i'll be throwing some cash at it.

But we are not there yet. Not by a long shot. 
    edited September 2016
    hfztt said:
    I have done a few free flight. Have yet to see something that would actually make me buy. It all seems pretty "Meh!" at this point. Whenever I play I always feel like I can see the duct tape keeping it all together. It just have that feel to it. I have played other bug ridden alphas where you could actually see the jewel inside they where polishing to get out. This one just seems like a bunch of random stuff taped together to me.

But if they actually make it to the goal line, and make all those pieces play nice together, find the jewel inside so to speak, then I am sure i'll be throwing some cash at it.

But we are not there yet. Not by a long shot. 
    Well i can have fun with it.

The biggest setback to me to play the current Alpha more often, is really performance. When you use some cheats to get the map and some of its content "offline" as @Octagon7711 mentioned, when i got into it, it just went so much smoother what instantly made it more enjoyable.

In terms of "random stuff taped together", the core of the game is there, the base elements on which you'll play the game (dog-fighting / FPS / EVA..), the Alpha has chunks of legacy code, from netcode to the item system 2.0, until the engine refactors are finished and implemented we'll play on stuff that is just laying there until it gets replaced.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea I admit the game itself is coming together nicely.  Never had a problem with the game itself or the ideas that push further development.
    Are you onto something or just on something?