Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Not So MMO - Master of Orion - TheHiveLeader

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Not So MMO - Master of Orion - TheHiveLeader

MMORPG.com is the leading destination for MMORPG games, news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    i played all the originals back in the day. MOO 3 wasn't too fun.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Great review as always, they still need to finish couple things with the next patch then i am buying it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I've played it a bit and so far I like it. I certainly like it better than MOO 3 which I was one of the beta testers. That game was a huge disappointment for me.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    edited September 2016
    MOO is a good game, but it lacks innovation. There just isnt anything really new and exciting in it, however what is there is quite good. Certainly a lot better than Stellaris..
  • ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I've never played MOO 1 & 2, so I don't understand why so many people dislike MOO 3. I enjoyed it and think that it was pretty good.

New Master of Orion is interesting in the way that your race choice pretty much determines the way you SHOULD be playing and the kind of victory you SHOULD be going for. Most 4X game I've played were less restricting in my opinion. I think the best way to play is with a custom race instead. That way you can clearly plan the way you're gonna play without any guess work.

@Mitara I have to disagree. New MOO and Stellaris are very different games. It's like comparing Civilization and Europa Universalis. You have to have a different mindset when playing each game, so if you're not used to that I can see why you would like one more than other.

Cheers.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    MOO is mehh , pales in comparison and is literally light years behind Distant Worlds when it comes to a space 4x
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

i played all the originals back in the day. MOO 3 wasn't too fun.

I played it once and it crashed late in the game after taking literally more than 10 minutes for my computer to process everyone else's turn. Never went back.

ZagatoMKR said:

I've never played MOO 1 & 2, so I don't understand why so many people dislike MOO 3. I enjoyed it and think that it was pretty good.

Even ignoring the bad interface and bugs, what many of us disliked about Moo3 was how it tried to turn the three games into one long story. (They might have done it for Moo2 as well but it didn't affect gameplay at all.) They cut some of the races out of Moo3 and turned them into a lost race holding onto some secret item and you had to get all four items or something.

Basically it's like saying Civilization 1-6 all take place on the same Earth and there was some disaster that repeatedly cast everyone back to the stone age - then making that part of the mechanics.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    My 4X knowledge starts and stops at Sorcerer King. Haven't played anything else although I bought a few like Endless Legends and Fallen Enchantress. I liked Sorcerer King but I played it on a small map. I don't think I can handle larger maps.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CormacrCormacr Member CommonPosts: 4
    I loved MOO and MOO2 back in the day. My dream 4x game was one that started off as Civilization and ended up as Master of Orion. I recently picked up Stellaris, but haven't clocked in past 2 hours yet, so maybe my space exploration strategy days are behind me (or maybe I am just to impatient for the pace of that game).

Also getting somebody to review a game that I have a history with but who has no history with it himself should lead me to hating the review, but the Hive Leader is just awesome. I love his stuff.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Scorchien said:

MOO is mehh , pales in comparison and is literally light years behind Distant Worlds when it comes to a space 4x

Yup, DW is still the daddy. Stellaris is coming along nicely as well and if the upcoming patch delivers what PDX are saying it will there should be some epic wars when the Fallen Empires start to bump heads.

Stuka1000 said:

Yup, DW is still the daddy. Stellaris is coming along nicely as well and if the upcoming patch delivers what PDX are saying it will there should be some epic wars when the Fallen Empires start to bump heads.

DW is an RTS. A game as complicated as 4X needs to be turn based.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Alverant said:

Stuka1000 said:

DW is an RTS. A game as complicated as 4X needs to be turn based.

You are so wrong, go watch a few Stellaris let's plays. Also DW is just about the most complicated 4x out there if you play it yourself and disable all the automation.