Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SQ42 to be released later this year.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
I'm ready to see how this turns out.  Later this year we should see the release of SQ42.  Maybe a month or two off course but so far we haven't heard any changes in the release dates from CIG.  So I am to assume it is on schedule and we should be seeing it soon enough.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

Scroll all the way down for release date.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    filmoret said:
    I'm ready to see how this turns out.  Later this year we should see the release of SQ42.  Maybe a month or two off course but so far we haven't heard any changes in the release dates from CIG.  So I am to assume it is on schedule and we should be seeing it soon enough.

Id be very surprised if it did make it out even with some months to account for "oh shit this is a game ending bug" fix. No info about a change of release dates but also really nothing to show for SQ42 which could be a bad sign.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Squadron 42 is the main reason I pledged to Star Citizen

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I honestly think this is an ace up their sleeve.  They are keeping it hush and will roll it out.  But then again it could be they are just are waiting for the 3.0 distraction to keep people busy while they quietly announce its delayed.  The longer they wait to delay the worse it looks on them.  Which is why I think they might actually launch it because this will look really really bad if they wait untill November before making any kind of announcement about delays.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    The utility of this threads is off the roof. Well that's the announced release date put there on 2015. Citizencon will face the Squadron 42 appearance, but i were to bet it will be pushed to 2017.

3.0 is quite a safer bet to release this year.

MaxBacon said:
    The utility of this threads is off the roof. Well that's the announced release date put there on 2015.

Citizencon will face the Squadron 42 appearance, but i were to bet it will be pushed to 2017.

It might have been put there in 2015.  But it is still there.  Its not like some back page of an article we are talking about the front page of SQ42.
    filmoret said:
    But then again it could be they are just are waiting for the 3.0 distraction to keep people busy while they quietly announce its delayed.  The longer they wait to delay the worse it looks on them.  Which is why I think they might actually launch it because this will look really really bad if they wait untill November before making any kind of announcement about delays.
    Release one unfinished and rushed SQ42 game for the sake of meet the date, that is what would look really bad. ;)

Citizencon is next month, less than 40 days pretty much.
    edited September 2016
    filmoret said:
    It might have been put there in 2015.  But it is still there.  Its not like some back page of an article we are talking about the front page of SQ42.
    Yeah it was put there on 2015, if they announce a delay it would say it will be at Citizencon that is going to happen soon.

Until then there have not been re-confirmation of SQ42 releasing this year, during this year, after its announcement last year. This silence from what i've seen on other games usually follows a delay announcement.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    edited September 2016
    I hope it isn't released before 2017. They will need more time finishing off the flight and fps combat imo. I am sure they will make a push to get it out before xmas but will prob miss by a few months, no big deal and preferred by me :) 

(In fact if they missed it by about a year that would do just fine! :) )
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I can't see them releasing it this year, they've been too hush hush about it.
    I'd expect an announcement 6 months or so prior to release with a marketing build up and there's been none of that.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    SQ42 is going to be shown at CitizenCon on October 9th. That could be the start of the release ramp up or where they announce a delay (again).

I'm also not too sure if this game is going to get that much marketing. One of the reason why they are keeping so much money for development are because they aren't spending all of it on marketing like other AAA games do and the press is going to talk about it even if CIG doesn't much.
  • fufubarrfufubarr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Actually I hope it gets delayed a bit. Given the state of development in SC, a release this year would certainly mean that there is no planet side game play in SQ42, which would be a pitty.

On the other hand, I believe the script for SQ42 was written before the decision was made to even include planet landing.

I would like a release of the first level, or first 10 minutes. I know they said SQ42 Episode 1 will not be released piece by piece, but that was probably meant in terms of alphas and betas...

@azarhal is right, we'll learn more at CitCon.

Kefo
    Feel free to use my Star Citizen referral link to get a small sign-up bonus.

Here you can find a small overview of the game.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Looks like Christ Roberts said that SQ42 is coming in 2017 at Gamescon to journalists. He said that the game should content complete by the end of this year (2016), but that they need more time to finish the NPC AI and the cover system for infiltration mission (both have been shown before).

See this Reddit thread.

Italic above: Aren't we playing a pilot? Why the need for infiltration missions? What kind of monster are they creating?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    To be fair, CIG has missed every delivery date they have ever given.  Anyone expecting SQ42 this year is just being naive.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited September 2016
    Yeah it was already easy to predict due its silence, content complete this year... but needing gameplay mechanics to get finished and polished. It's set to release as a fnished polished game, not an alpha/beta so yeah.

This is most likely set to be officially announced at Citizencon.

azarhal said:
    Italic above: Aren't we playing a pilot? Why the need for infiltration missions? What kind of monster are they creating?
    Oh far what Erin Roberts said, about 30% of SQ42 includes FPS gameplay, it's kinda like you can approach the same mission different ways, infiltration was something mentioned as one of those.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah it was already easy to predict due its silence, content complete this year... but needing gameplay mechanics to get finished and polished. It's set to release as a fnished polished game, not an alpha/beta so yeah.

I hate how they do an announcement of being late like this.

When it's clear that the product is going to be late, buyers should be informed in timely manner. Sitting on the info and keeping people uncertain for another month just because you can is not nice behavior to those who have already paid for the game.

edited September 2016
    Vrika said:
    Personally, I hate how they do an announcement of being late like this.

When it's clear that the product is going to be late, buyers should be informed in timely manner. Sitting on the info and keeping people uncertain for another month just because you can is not nice behavior to those who have already paid for the game.
    It's something annoying yes, the silence until they decide to talk about it.

The way i see it they don't want to make the announcement without having something to show for it. It's likely at Citizencon, we will see SQ42, hopefully see them actually playing it and then they'll talk about it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Talonsin said:
    To be fair, CIG has missed every delivery date they have ever given.  Anyone expecting SQ42 this year is just being naive.
    AFAIK its still in alpha, and is relatively incomplete, perhaps if it was complete and had reached the beta stage, i don't know what they would have to do even to get the game into an acceptable state for it to launch, by now i think most accept its going to take time, and would rather it was launched without missing features etc. 2017 might be optimistic, but anything is possible. :o
    Phry said:
    Talonsin said:
    AFAIK its still in alpha, and is relatively incomplete, perhaps if it was complete and had reached the beta stage, i don't know what they would have to do even to get the game into an acceptable state for it to launch, by now i think most accept its going to take time, and would rather it was launched without missing features etc. 2017 might be optimistic, but anything is possible. :o
    We would all like a finished and complete product.  It is CIG who keeps making claims that they will finish when they know they cannot.  Its just them creating hype and the never ending cycle of something "BIG" is right around the corner just donate more money and hold on.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2016
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

I hate how they do an announcement of being late like this.

Yes it is annoying. Their pledge document intimated that backers would be the first to know about all sorts of things but that doesn't seem to have been the case recently. Media have definitely been getting first dibs on a load of stuff.
    What's strange is that people on the forums or subreddit would probably support a delay if it's for polish reasons or implementing some new tech or whatever.

---

Something to note, next year is clearly more likely than this year, I think that's pretty obvious but it's still not a guarantee from what Michael Graf said:
    And maybe it will finally release next year, atleast that's what Chris Roberts -not guarantee- hoped for when I was talking to him.

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    I would've been shocked if it launched it at the end of 2016. Q1 or Q2 of 2017 felt more on track, the other timeline felt VERY optimistic.

They haven't even started the ad campaign for the game.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I could have sworn one of the ships in the game, the Bengal Carrier was stated to be only 70% finished.  I think there are other ships in the game yet to be finished.  Also someone remarked on the forum about final testing before release probably needing more then a few months before putting out a triple AAA game.

Anything is possible but we should know for sure at the Con in Oct.  I'm looking forward to playing it when it does launch.  I've played the whole series.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    filmoret said:

The official trailer posted Oct 12, 2015, has 2016 launch date.  But rumors are 2017.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    according to gamestar, SQ42 is supposed to be out mid to end 2017 now. English speaking news sites are picking it up and running with it as well.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Just get it right and don't announce any release dates until you are fixing minor bugs/issues.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    From massivelyop.com:

A German games journalist whose Gamescom video report on Star Citizen and Squadron 42 was picked up by an English-speaking outlet has clarified his remarks.

PCGamesN had quoted a video by Gamestar’s Michael Graf and declared that Squadron 42 had been delayed from 2016 to 2017, but it has since become clear that Roberts said the Star Citizen-spinoff game’s content would be complete by the “end of the year” and that “some [base] systems like the AI or the cover system for infiltration missions […] will take more time,” presumably into the next year, further muddying the supposed release date.

“You are right, that was a mistake,” Graf told his readers. “I have watched the recording of the [Gamescom Roberts] interview again, and Chris talked about 2017. You hear that much during Gamescon, I’ve just mixed things up. Sorry about that!” (Translation by Rarehero.)

CIG has not yet addressed the understandable confusion, so do note that a formal updated declaration about Squadron 42 and any delay or lack thereof has not been made

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018