Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing.

Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
edited September 2016 in Star Citizen
I've been waiting my entire life for this kind of gaming experience. I think alot of people who are in doubt or still think it is a scam will be epically surprised at how engaging this game will be. The scale of what they have is huge now and itis still in alpha. I will not use the word potential because it is beyond that point.

I still like Black Desert Online, but S.C. is just better.

Can't wait for 3.0 :chuffed:
Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    1st page!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I don't think this title has a chance of exceeding the expectations of some who will lash out in disappointment regardless what is delivered.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    edited September 2016
    it's alpha, not even optimized. if we get to beta and maybe 3 betas before launch and it is still feels bulky, that is when to worry
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Doug_B said:
    I've been waiting my entire life for this kind of gaming experience. I think alot of people who are in doubt or still think it is a scam will be epically surprised at how engaging this game will be.
    Can I borrow the time machine you used to check what kind of game Star Citizen will be?

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    In my experience, MMOs tend to run worse the longer they exist, with launch only being special in that way more people play, and therefore perfomance going down. Otherwise, nothing changes. I didn't see any miracle performance patch anywhere, either. Usually nothing changes, sometimes it gets even worse.

Maybe SC will be different, they sure have enough time left until launch to at least try. But given the history of MMOs or games in general, im skeptical.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2016
    It had bloody well better be amazing for the amount of money they're taking. If a publisher was to announce they had a budget of $550 million and increasing you'd expect the best game ever.

I'm sure the game will be enjoyable but it's only prudent to wait and see what it's like when you get to play it, not what some razzmatazz-hollywood-style-engineered-demo-made-purely-for-Gamescom shows you.

Look at what happened to No Man's Sky and all the hype that surrounded that project...
    I own a ship in S.C.
    Nyctelios said:
    "Publisher"? "550 m"? What are you talking about?

Another person in denial about NMS, huh? 

You haven't seen this I assume?

$122 million * 4.5 equals equivalent budget of $550 million

NMS is down to 38% positive on Steam, concurrency has dropped from 200,000+ to 4000 in 2 weeks, there might be denial going on but it most certainly isn't from me.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I played it during the free 3 day weekend and was also amazed by it. I bought myself a ship, but gonna wait till they fix more of the bugs.

The game crashes way too much in its current state. But once that stuff is fixed and they release the rest of the content they've been working on, this game will easily stand out on its own as a one of a kind experience I don't think you'll be able to get anywhere else. 

edited September 2016
    Doug_B said:
    I own a ship in S.C.
    Likewise, mine looks like something from a Blue Peter project, I'm thinking a washing-up bottle with cardboard wings blu-tacked on the top and bottom with a couple of straws sellotaped to the sides, aka the masterful Aurora LN.

APThug said:
    I played it during the free 3 day weekend and was also amazed by it. I bought myself a ship, but gonna wait till they fix more of the bugs.

The game crashes way too much in its current state. But once that stuff is fixed and they release the rest of the content they've been working on, this game will easily stand out on its own as a one of a kind experience I don't think you'll be able to get anywhere else. 
    did you make a usr.cfg file. That  fixed my crashing
    http://www.redacted.tv/custom-user-cfg-guide-star-citizen-alpha-2-x/

Nyctelios said:
    Yeah and I have a comic here that is proof spider man is real.

Aww which bit is it you don't like?
    The slide was from kickstarter presentations that Roberts was doing.
    The numbers are straight from steamdb.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Nyctelios said:

NMS is down to 38% positive on Steam, concurrency has dropped from 200,000+ to 4000 in 2 weeks, there might be denial going on but it most certainly isn't from me.

Lol

What the fuck do I need an accountant for?

Henry! go the fuck home.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Nyctelios said:

Your interpretation of that slide is wrong. $120m doesn't magically become $550m, it's the other way around what is left for the development on the $120m funding is x4 higher without a publisher.  

A publisher made game with the same budget ($120m) would only see ~$24m for the development (see the $12/$60 minus 20% royalties), while CIG  gets over $100m to allocate for development.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    We are still YEARS away from an actual retail launch.  The current game takes over 24gigs of space for a single system and we dont even have real planets yet.  We also dont really know what the monitization model will be.  If most of the money goes toward development, will the cash shop really sustain CIG after launch?

The little we have right now looks nice but we still have a long, long way to go and lots of unanswered questions before we start shouting from the rooftops that Chris Roberts is the king.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Kyleran said:
    I don't think this title has a chance of exceeding the expectations of some who will lash out in disappointment regardless what is delivered.

It won't matter anyways as those people were never prepared to be impressed anyways. The rest of the backers who have followed the game will be happily playing out their roles ingame!
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Amazing will be when they make hanger ready or flyable, the Reclaimer and Orion.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited September 2016
    azarhal said:
    Nyctelios said:

Your interpretation of that slide is wrong. $120m doesn't magically become $550m, it's the other way around what is left for the development on the $120m funding is x4 higher without a publisher.  

A publisher made game with the same budget ($120m) would only see ~$24m for the development (see the $12/$60 minus 20% royalties), while CIG  gets over $100m to allocate for development.

That's just rewording what I said, if per your example, a publisher backed $122 million is equivalent to $24 million crowdfunded then a publisher backed $550 million game would be roughly equivalent to a $122 million crowdfunded.
    What I originally said was "If a publisher was to announce they had a budget of $550 million (and increasing) you'd expect the best game ever."

It seems the knee-jerk response is alive and well (not aimed at you), rather than reading and understanding or perhaps asking for clarification people like @Nyctelios just misinterpret what's written and make a bunch of assumptions.

Nyctelios said:
    The denial is about who's fault it is. The fact people still defends the development team trying to blame players imagination where all their interviews and videos and demos are out there to see amazes me.

No disagreement there.
    Nyctelios said:
    No misinterpretation here, just good and old skepticism I use on anything.

The misinterpretation is your field of action. I don't want to steal your job.

Haha. There's no misunderstanding on my part, you don't get to throw this back on me.

Here's what I wrote
    The important bit being equivalent budget. If I misunderstood then I wouldn't have used those words to clarify in the first place.

If you want to claim I misunderstood then you're going to have to do better than just saying the words.
  • feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Nyctelios said:
    No misinterpretation here, just good and old skepticism I use on anything.

The misinterpretation is your field of action. I don't want to steal your job.

Haha. There's no misunderstanding on my part, you don't get to throw this back on me.

Here's what I wrote
    The important bit being equivalent budget. If I misunderstood then I wouldn't have used those words to clarify in the first place.

If you want to claim I misunderstood then you're going to have to do better than just saying the words.
    Umm no you are definitely misunderstanding math in general here. You are also misusing the word equivalent, so that does nothing for your case either. Having 4.5x the resources available when compared to a different funding model doesn't mean you multiply the overall resources by 4.5 lol That's just silly.
    The slide that Roberts put up says clear as day that each crowdfunding dollar they receive is equivalent to 4 or more publisher dollars, agreed?

So, if $1 is equivalent to $4.5 then $122 million is equivalent to $550 million, they're his words not mine.

This is the bit that you guys cannot seem to get - he is the one making that claim, not me. I'm just taking his example and using it with current figures.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The slide that Roberts put up says clear as day that each crowdfunding dollar they receive is equivalent to 4 or more publisher dollars, agreed?

So, if $1 is equivalent to $4.5 then $122 million is equivalent to $550 million, they're his words not mine.

This is the bit that you guys cannot seem to get - he is the one making that claim, not me. I'm just taking his example and using it with current figures.

Whoever made that slide you posted doesn't understand the difference between game revenue and developer budget for a game. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Shaigh said:

Whoever made that slide you posted doesn't understand the difference between game revenue and developer budget for a game. 
    Chris Roberts

Not agreed, nowhere in that slide does it say $1 = $4.5 dollars. It says they will have 4x as much money available for development costs. You are both reading and understanding the information being presented there incorrectly. I assure you, there is only one person "not getting it" here and that is you.

To make it more clear for you, since I'm pretty sure you're still going to have trouble understanding...

Both developers have 60 dollars. Of that 60, one developer will only have 12 to spend on development, while RSI (supposedly) will have 48. That's where the multiplier of 4 comes from. It doesn't mean that you get to multiply the original 60 by 4. It's really quite simple grade school stuff here.