Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATV 3.5, early looks at Cargo, 3.0 shown vehicles and ship delericts

MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
edited September 2016 in Star Citizen

Today's ATV was interesting on at least starting getting the early look at cargo and how it is set to work, background look at the Rover vehicle, and the Dragonfly "motor-bike", and one look at footage of ship derelicts and a crashed Starfarer turned into a house.

At (19:09) its shown some cinematic footage that might be SC, SQ42 or just assets developed for future use (the segment was about spawning derelict ships on the game-world), tomorrow certainly more info will roll in about the footage:

13:14 = Dragonfly footage wandering on planetary surface (mostly to showcase audio)

7:38 = The Rover Footage & info

2:40 = Cargo segment with mostly info about its works with bits of player handling of cargo and ship cargo spawning.

There's more but I just highlighted some for who wouldn't want to watch the whole thing.

I gotta say the ATV's have faced one massive improvement through what they were before, every week with technical dives at the things they are working on with also WIP footage of it.
Post edited by MaxBacon on

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I gotta say, these guys are masters at dangling the carrots. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    The more i see on Rover to more i like it, dem GTA!

Nyctelios said:
    Got my internet back recently and just today could watch gamescon presentation and all ARV. Man, it awes me every step forward they make. It's amazing.
    Yeah, now with expectations up for Citizencon next month, SQ42's moment. Let's see if "we just need to top 3.0" bit on the ending is a mission play-through of it, would be cool to see it at last.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Some of this looks pretty cool. The pre-visualisation for the crashed ship on the planet was very atmospheric, look forward to seeing this stuff in game.

Not a fan of the rover or dragonfly, I think the movement of the rover and the way its back door hangs open looks crappy. I would also much prefer to see the dragonfly restricted to ground use as opposed to being a space faring vehicle as well.

Will be interesting to see what they manage to implement for 3.0, it's good that more features are starting to come online.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    edited September 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah, now with expectations up for Citizencon next month, SQ42's moment. Let's see if "we just need to top 3.0" bit on the ending is a mission play-through of it, would be cool to see it at last.
    Hope they are not going to show any spoilers :( perhaps I should just avoid citizen con presentation (yeah right not going to happen).

Must agree that the new format for AtV is much better now. Not enjoyed them all that much since Wingman's Hangar.

Really like the retracting turret on the Rover :). Might seem like a whole lot of nothing but these ship / vehicle animations seem to pay off when more and more are incorporated, like the new Reliant and the Khartu look stunning.

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    I would also much prefer to see the dragonfly restricted to ground use as opposed to being a space faring vehicle as well.
    Why is that?
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I think it looks stupid as a space faring vehicle, a really bad, cheesy, gimmick.

Some of this looks pretty cool. The pre-visualisation for the crashed ship on the planet was very atmospheric, look forward to seeing this stuff in game.

Not a fan of the rover or dragonfly, I think the movement of the rover and the way its back door hangs open looks crappy. I would also much prefer to see the dragonfly restricted to ground use as opposed to being a space faring vehicle as well.

Will be interesting to see what they manage to implement for 3.0, it's good that more features are starting to come online.

Yeah he mentions the space ones on 3.0, then planetary later. It's interesting because it adds the layer of exploration of PG Planets in hopes of finding and salvaging this wrecks.

It's been a long time of technology being developed to make things happen, at last with 3.0 it's seems it starts being time of developing features. Side of that Netcode and AI said to be the missing pieces of tech to the game.
    I think it looks stupid as a space faring vehicle, a really bad, cheesy, gimmick.

Hmm OK. I think they needed a utility vehicle that covered the low end speed gap between jet packs and ships that could easily be mounted and dismounted. Having said that, I am not crazy about the art design of it.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    The planet Starfarer derelict is clearly am example of how they want it to looks like, unless that's in SQ42. It's way too cinematic.

I really liked the dragonfly planet side demonstration. I'm kinda hoping we will be able to buy ships/vehicles in 3.0 so I can try one.

I find it amusing that they show cargo appearing into the ship magically in the video. You won't see it happen in-game, ships are currently magically removed from landing areas to make place for others to land/take-off and you can't access them when they are in such "storage" area because the hangars aren't yet plugged in. 

Everything "in space" (like piracy/salvage) will require manually moving those boxes...but then a guy already loaded everything he could move from Covalex in 2.5 so it's not new. ;)

MaxBacon said:

It reminds me of the Mako in Mass Effect 1. I'm not sure if that's a good thing (it was clunky to use) or not (despite the clunkiness I had a lot of fun driving it around on planets that had some flat...).
    azarhal said:
    I find it amusing that they show cargo appearing into the ship magically in the video. You won't see it happen in-game, ships are currently magically removed from landing areas to make place for others to land/take-off and you can't access them when they are in such "storage" area because the hangars aren't yet plugged in. 

MaxBacon said:
    It reminds me of the Mako in Mass Effect 1. I'm not sure if that's a good thing (it was clunky to use) or not (despite the clunkiness I had a lot of fun driving it around on planets that had some flat...).
    The first part is true indeed, with the ships being moved away by the game from the landing zones, we won't see them spawning then, it will be a pretty much like the things you buy and set to deliver on the Hangar.

Overall it's as usual set by iterations on their side, the first ones are wonky, raw and unstable.

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170

The concept by itself comes across as a little cheesy, but after I started comparing it to the equivalent of the SDV the US Navy uses, it makes a lot more sense. The applications for stealth boarding, as well as sabotage will be really useful.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited September 2016
    to be fair despite all the boats loads of tissues from all the crying about this game, its starting to look like they have even at the stage more content of high quality then most AAA titles do.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• fufubarrfufubarr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    The on-planet salvage footage looked amazing, indeed!
    I don't think its from SQ42, though. They always kept a lid on SQ42, with the exception of CitCon.
    Probably t is just an asset as starting point to implement the salvage mechanics. As they said: they are still a bit off from integrating it into the proceduraly generated planets.

Re Dragonfly: You might not see many in space anyway due to range restriction, they would be only useful for ship-to-ship transport, maybe boarding.

...but of course everything just speculation :-)
    Feel free to use my Star Citizen referral link to get a small sign-up bonus.

Here you can find a small overview of the game.
    fufubarr said:
    The on-planet salvage footage looked amazing, indeed!
    I don't think its from SQ42, though. They always kept a lid on SQ42, with the exception of CitCon.
    Probably t is just an asset as starting point to implement the salvage mechanics. As they said: they are still a bit off from integrating it into the proceduraly generated planets.

Re Dragonfly: You might not see many in space anyway due to range restriction, they would be only useful for ship-to-ship transport, maybe boarding.

...but of course everything just speculation :-)

From today RTV it's not SQ42 yeah, it was scene that the artist put together in a day with the current assets and tools of the engine they have to use.

So it seems there what they need first is to procedural spawn this hand-crafted derelicts into the procedural terrain and the rest is artist work.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    SQ42 will launch in 2 months or so.  Then we will know for sure.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

It's basically a parasite ship like the argo or merlin. It does not have a quantum drive though and cannot take off from or land on planets. It will likely be usefull for flying over to a wreck in space or on ground and transporting salvage or loot back. Ala firefly and that hover sled they had in the one episode.