Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earring Slot only for $$$$$ / Your Honest Opinion

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
sorry but i couldnt resist to start this topic.

I´ve never played any other game were i had to buy an expansion or pay to get some common character item slots like Earring slots in RIFT :dizzy:

For me its extremly hard to understand how TRION can charge players for standard Item slots.

Will the future bring us games were we have to pay to unlock Head, Neck, Shild or even Feet slots for real  money ?

To me this is the most stupid crap to squeeze money out of players that  i have ever seen in a mmorpg honestly... 

Inspecting players in Instants show that roughly 80% have no unlocked earring  slots.......  try it to prove :D

Will future F2P game have no unlocked Weapon slots so we cant fight anything before paying $$$ ????

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in MMO monetization.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Could be a sign of desperation tbh, its an old game, though it certainly wasn't a bad game, it just lacked something to make it interesting enough to play, so if the games population isn't growing, or even stable, then they probably need to increase revenue through those kinds of measures, kind of sad really, though i have little sympathy for F2P games that hit the ropes and don't look like getting up again, sometimes i honestly think that F2P is MMO cancer, starts out small and then goes wildly out of control before it becomes terminal, but then, i don't think F2P games are intended to last that long anyway. :o
  • hyuteihyutei Member UncommonPosts: 52
    m8 its trion,im not sure where they find the people that come with those ideas,but they seriously need to kick them out,they are ruining both their company and their reputation,they wont last like that

I understand that company needs earnings to continue to work,ofc no one will work for free
    but cant you find a better idea ? 

archeage,devilian,rift all 3 games are from trion and all 3 games are MAJOR pay2win games,havent seen some ruin a game like that in a while

even a retard like me could get a better idea of earning money in a game without making it pay2win

i just hope that trion never gets another game to release,cos what goes their way,wont last long,to me archeage is one of the best games ive ever played,had the most potential ever,played black desert and many other games,non has come even close to archeage when it comes to having fun in a game,and they ruined it

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    edited August 2016
    hyutei said:
    m8 its trion,im not sure where they find the people that come with those ideas,but they seriously need to kick them out,they are ruining both their company and their reputation,they wont last like that

I understand that company needs earnings to continue to work,ofc no one will work for free
    but cant you find a better idea ? 

archeage,devilian,rift all 3 games are from trion and all 3 games are MAJOR pay2win games,havent seen some ruin a game like that in a while

even a retard like me could get a better idea of earning money in a game without making it pay2win

i just hope that trion never gets another game to release,cos what goes their way,wont last long,to me archeage is one of the best games ive ever played,had the most potential ever,played black desert and many other games,non has come even close to archeage when it comes to having fun in a game,and they ruined it

yes my thoughts, there are better, less stupid ways to get money 

I think a 10 year old playing manager in his room has better ideas....
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Goromhir said:

Will future F2P game have no unlocked Weapon slots so we cant fight anything before paying $$$ ????

Maybe. As long as there are people who pay for such stuff there will be companies which will be more than happy to take your money.
  • hyuteihyutei Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Phry said:
    Could be a sign of desperation tbh, its an old game, though it certainly wasn't a bad game, it just lacked something to make it interesting enough to play, so if the games population isn't growing, or even stable, then they probably need to increase revenue through those kinds of measures, kind of sad really, though i have little sympathy for F2P games that hit the ropes and don't look like getting up again, sometimes i honestly think that F2P is MMO cancer, starts out small and then goes wildly out of control before it becomes terminal, but then, i don't think F2P games are intended to last that long anyway. :o
    wouldnt agree with that,there are f2p games that are really successful and are not pay2win,just because a game is f2p doesnt make it garbage instantly,what makes it garbage is bad publisher that only thinks about money and doesnt give a fk about the game he is releasing nor about its players

i personally prefer f2p,reason is simple,when i pay for something,i play it mainly cos i know i spent money on it and i overgrind,ruin my experience and most of times it makes me quit,but when i play f2p game,i know that no1 is making me spend money,ofc that doesnt mean i wont spend any money in such games,cos i do like making my character look fkin epic with costumes n shit,but knowing that i dont need to spend money on a game just to be able to grind removes the need to grind like a retard and lets me play when i want to without thinking about the money i invested in a game just to be able to play....
  • 123ffxiv123ffxiv Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Earring slots and planewalker water are not behind a paywall anymore. They moved them back to costing void stones and also halved the price they cost. They are now 50k void stones each instead of 100k like they used to be.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    hyutei said:
    Phry said:
    wouldnt agree with that,there are f2p games that are really successful and are not pay2win,just because a game is f2p doesnt make it garbage instantly,what makes it garbage is bad publisher that only thinks about money and doesnt give a fk about the game he is releasing nor about its players

i personally prefer f2p,reason is simple,when i pay for something,i play it mainly cos i know i spent money on it and i overgrind,ruin my experience and most of times it makes me quit,but when i play f2p game,i know that no1 is making me spend money,ofc that doesnt mean i wont spend any money in such games,cos i do like making my character look fkin epic with costumes n shit,but knowing that i dont need to spend money on a game just to be able to grind removes the need to grind like a retard and lets me play when i want to without thinking about the money i invested in a game just to be able to play....
    Actually, my argument isn't that F2P games are garbage, but that the monetisation methods used in those games are damaging, it would be very easy to write off those games if they were garbage tbh, instead we have some relatively good games, ruined by the monetisation methods, which have to be game impacting in some way, or nobody would use the cash shops. :o
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    http://steamcharts.com/app/39120

Does that steam population look like a downward spiral to anyone else?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Once called WOW killer flopped and now it's a F2P gamer killer ! HA HA HA
    DMKano said:
    Except you can still do it without spending a cent  - just need in game currency for REX - and then you can buy an earring slot.

This is a thing with pretty much all Trion games - they all have a way of players buying cashs shop items for in-game currency. The thing is most players just don't realize that it's possible without having an understanding of what all options you have. 

like in this instance - OP thought that spending RL money was the ONLY option - it's not.

Just because someone makes a thread about something - it doesn't mean they have the right information ;)
    What?  No.

You don't lock equipment slots behind a paywall even if there is some way in game to grind and get them.

How long does it take to get 50,000 voidstones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    edited August 2016
    Goromhir said:

I´ve never played any other game were i had to buy an expansion or pay to get some common character item slots like Earring slots in RIFT :dizzy:

For me its extremly hard to understand how TRION can charge players for standard Item slots.

Will the future bring us games were we have to pay to unlock Head, Neck, Shild or even Feet slots for real  money ?

To me this is the most stupid crap to squeeze money out of players that  i have ever seen in a mmorpg honestly... 

Inspecting players in Instants show that roughly 80% have no unlocked earring  slots.......  try it to prove :D

First, you don't have to pay real money for them as an in game currency you collect in game can be used to buy them, and has been since they were added. 

Second, Rift didn't even have earrings or their slots until the expansion Nightmare Tide. So currently you have a total of 20 different slots for equipment. One of those is your Focus slot, which depending on which Focus you have equipped can give you up to 6 slots of Essences, but removing an essence destroys it unless you use a special item, so most people just overwrite it with the better one. If you want to include those, that's a total of 26.

So, what was your complaint about increasing the number of equipment slots from 18 (or 24 if you include the possible essence only slots) and make it 20 (or 26) by spending in game currency, or if you don't like waiting to earn it in game, paying for it with real money again?

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Goromhir said:

Doesn't Everquest charge you for tier gear or something? Like f2p players can't wear anything beyond uncommon/rare or something?

At least soon Trion will be similar to SWTOR where you can't level past 65 unless you buy the expansion (can't level past 50 in SWTOR if you dont buy something I think)
    DMKano said:
    Nilden said:

Not really - check out the view since 2012:

The peak is steam Launch - at like 11K users - which is nothing.

Steam shows the game under 3k users since 2015.

Now since you have to log into Glyph separately - I have no idea why anyone would use Steam for any Trion game - again if they ever get single sign-on working .... that'd be great. 

But logging into steam only to have to log into glyph.. yeah.

Still decline over time is inevitable.

Look at Lord of the Rings online:

Their peak was 3702 back in 2013 - have been under 1.5K users for years on steam.

You can do the same for just about any MMORPG on steam over time - the decline is inevitable. 

Again what % of LOTRO players use steam to play? 

Agreed. Using Steam as a gauge for how well an MMO is doing player wise is pointless unless it is an early access title. EQ2 is on Steam but I don't know anyone who has ever used Steam for it. So is FF XIV
    Says the guy who posts superdata "data".

It points out an obvious trend with the steam population.

Oh yeah and selling item slots is a sleazy new low. I'll never play this crap again and played at launch for 3 months. I guess now that WOW has fel invasions (pretty much rifts) which were rifts one big gimmic we might as well carve the headstone.

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Nilden said:
    DMKano said:
    Nilden said:

Now since you have to log into Glyph separately - I have no idea why anyone would use Steam for any Trion game - again if they ever get single sign-on working .... that'd be great. 

Their peak was 3702 back in 2013 - have been under 1.5K users for years on steam.

You can do the same for just about any MMORPG on steam over time - the decline is inevitable. 

Agreed. Using Steam as a gauge for how well an MMO is doing player wise is pointless unless it is an early access title. EQ2 is on Steam but I don't know anyone who has ever used Steam for it. So is FF XIV

It is generally a bad method to tell how an MMO is doing on anything other than steam. As those numbers don't include people not using steam so they don't give the whole general picture of player population. Particularly for a game that has been out for awhile before going on steam. People aren't going to re-download it on steam for no reason.
    Nilden said:
    DMKano said:
    Nilden said:

It is generally a bad method to tell how an MMO is doing on anything other than steam. As those numbers don't include people not using steam so they don't give the whole general picture of player population. Particularly for a game that has been out for awhile before going on steam. People aren't going to re-download it on steam for no reason.
    Canary in a coal mine.

I also stated steam population, take it for what it's worth.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    It's sad Rift was a rly good game for awhile there. Dungeons were difficult at first, raids were pretty cool an made with fresh ideas. what killed it was once you were geared every thing became way too easy and the lack of balance was rly rly easy to see. Ranged warriors/clerics..... enough said hehe. Back on topic paying for earings is the dumbest thing I have ever heard a game trying to charge for >.<
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Another self-entitlement rage....so exciting...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Ahh after reading what DM Kano typed about it not being in the original gear set and about earning it. Makes absolute sense then why they would lock it behind  either payment or some in game method of getting it.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Goromhir said:

It's not uncommon to have undergarments (ex: Vindictus) or accessories - items one rarely sees anyway but do offer additional stats - as paid slots for additional buffs. RIFT is one of the few that allows the slot item to be sold in the auction house, so you don't need to spend real money to buy it. You can either buy it from the auction house or convert your cash to REX and buy it from the RIFT store. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited August 2016
    If your subbed to the game Im assuming you dont have to unlock any character item slots with real cash, so if thats the case I dont see a problem with it......at all.  As long as everything is unlocked and availablfe for someone that subs or available through in game playing ( while subbed ), I think its a o k to abuse the people that want F2P games as often as possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2016
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Except you can still do it without spending a cent  - just need in game currency for REX - and then you can buy an earring slot.

This is a thing with pretty much all Trion games - they all have a way of players buying cashs shop items for in-game currency. The thing is most players just don't realize that it's possible without having an understanding of what all options you have. 

like in this instance - OP thought that spending RL money was the ONLY option - it's not.

Just because someone makes a thread about something - it doesn't mean they have the right information ;)
    What?  No.

You don't lock equipment slots behind a paywall even if there is some way in game to grind and get them.

How long does it take to get 50,000 voidstones?

Earring slot was always locked behind voidstones.

Not sure what your point is.

Earring slot was not part of original gear set,  it was added later in an expansion and it always required voidstones to unlock.

So this single slot was designed as character progression unlock.

I unlocked it for 100k voidstones a long time ago, again the idea was something for players to unlock over time. 

If the earring slot was something given by default and then Trion put it behind some grind mechanic later on - you'd have a point. 

But this is not what happened, this slot was always and unlock slot.

Finally earrings are not all that, the base armor slots (which are default free for all) are FAR more valuable.

My point is quite simple.  Equipment slots should not be in the cash shop, even if there is some way in the game to grind for them.

If it's intended as something for players to unlock over time, then don't sell it in the cash shop...

Obviously, it's not intended as some feature for players to unlock over time, it's intended as a cash grab to sell equipment slots in the cash shop.  The only reason they allow you to unlock it in game through god-knows how much grinding is to somewhat soften the blow of trying to pull the most ridiculous thing in AAA monetization history.