Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel Kaby Lake desktop CPUs coming in January 2017

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,094
Still on 14 nm, so it's not clear if it will be meaningfully better than Sky Lake.  Intel says it's a better 14 nm process.  My guess is that it will be much like AMD going from Trinity to Richland or from Kaveri to Godaveri:  a little better but not a lot, as it's basically the same as before but clocked a little higher.

Comments

  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059
    Haswell -> Devil's Canyon.

    No big surprise I suppose.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Ridelynn said:
    Haswell -> Devil's Canyon.

    No big surprise I suppose.
    moores law still working out?

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Haswell -> Devil's Canyon.

    No big surprise I suppose.
    moores law still working out?
    Your consistent irrelevance to every conversation you choose to participate in continues to astound me. Hats off.

    Seeing as how Skylake released about a year ago, and Kaby is looking to release in few months - that would put it in the same time frame as Moore's Law speaks of. 

    Except we don't have a die shrink, we don't have a meaningful transistor count bump (if you just look a CPU parts of the die, the overall count may have went up because of integrated graphics, but I can't find any data on that either way), and we probably won't have a significant speed increase.

    So... you could make a case against Moore's law. I'm not, I think it's more a case of lack of competition. But you will talk about whatever you want to talk about, and it doesn't necessarily need to be anything related to the topic or even grounded in reality.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Haswell -> Devil's Canyon.

    No big surprise I suppose.
    moores law still working out?
    Your consistent irrelevance to every conversation you choose to participate in continues to astound me. Hats off.

    Seeing as how Skylake released about a year ago, and Kaby is looking to release in few months - that would put it in the same time frame as Moore's Law speaks of. 

    Except we don't have a die shrink, we don't have a meaningful transistor count bump (if you just look a CPU parts of the die, the overall count may have went up because of integrated graphics, but I can't find any data on that either way), and we probably won't have a significant speed increase.

    So... you could make a case against Moore's law. I'm not, I think it's more a case of lack of competition. But you will talk about whatever you want to talk about, and it doesn't necessarily need to be anything related to the topic or even grounded in reality.
    so Moores Law yes or no on that?

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059
    Ridelynn said:

    So... you could make a case against Moore's law. I'm not, I think it's more a case of lack of competition. But you will talk about whatever you want to talk about, and it doesn't necessarily need to be anything related to the topic or even grounded in reality.
    ... +1 for reading comprehension.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Ridelynn said:
    Ridelynn said:

    So... you could make a case against Moore's law. I'm not, I think it's more a case of lack of competition. But you will talk about whatever you want to talk about, and it doesn't necessarily need to be anything related to the topic or even grounded in reality.
    ... +1 for reading comprehension.
    noncommittal for sure. I prefer and rarely get explicit answers.

    anyway take care i am off to other things

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,422
    edited August 2016
    I think AMD's new Zen processors will be a lot more important to Intel buyers than this upgrade.

    If Kaby Lake will give maybe +10% performance increase compared to previous models that's all well and good, but what Intel really needs is a competitor so that they'd have to be more aggressive with their pricing.
     
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,094
    Or maybe if AMD CPUs were competitive, AMD CPU prices go up rather than Intel CPU prices going down.  Look at the prices back when AMD CPUs were better than Intel, around the middle of the page:

    http://techreport.com/review/8295/amd-athlon-64-x2-processors
Sign In or Register to comment.