Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift vs LOTRO

broken415broken415 Member UncommonPosts: 12
Hey guys. So lately, I've been wanting to play a older mmorpg and I've narrowed it down between Rift and LOTRO. I don't really know much about either game but I want something along the lines were I don't have to invest so much time into it but still have some fun for like 30mins-1hour game play. I just want to know more about if any of these games are p2w and if so, which one is more p2w? I know most likely they are going to have some p2w aspects, but I would prefer to play the one with less. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    If you are only going for little 30 - 60 minute bits and not actually hardcore, why do you are if it is p2w?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Both have free trials ... check it out .. LOTRO is far better imo tho
  • PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Two totally different games, I enjoyed them both and they are easy for a casual to play. LOTRO has better lore IMO. They both have cash shops. TRION is probably worse on that end, but to be honest I am biased against that company.
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I haven't played either in quite some time so take with a grain of salt. 

Lotro has lore, landscape and community with rp if that's what you're into.  Store is definitely much more of a factor with stat tomes and a variety of purchasible items for legendaries, you also have to pay to unlock quest packs beyond the starter areas or you could subscribe instead. 

The rift store I don't remember it being p2w, you pay to unlock certain skillsets, but there are a wide variety of f2p skillsets, the game itself mostly free.

I would rate lotro a better game but content is locked behind many paywalls with some p2w.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited August 2016
    broken415 said:
    Hey guys. So lately, I've been wanting to play a older mmorpg and I've narrowed it down between Rift and LOTRO. I don't really know much about either game but I want something along the lines were I don't have to invest so much time into it but still have some fun for like 30mins-1hour game play. I just want to know more about if any of these games are p2w and if so, which one is more p2w? I know most likely they are going to have some p2w aspects, but I would prefer to play the one with less. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
    I have played both.  I would play LOTRO.  The players are super friendly (not saying rift ppl arent, but LOTRO moreso).  LOTRO has better lore and dialogue AND quests have more meaning and are better written.  Rift might have more content released regularly?  

Also, I like the LOTRO universe.  Rift has no freestanding universe.  what i mean is, it could have come from the back of a cereal box, we dont know. LOTRO has books and movies to pull its storylines from.  years upon years or history and lore.  Rift has, well nothing except what people are making up now. 

Rift has a switch as you go so you can switch between tank, healer, or dps.  so if you are a rogue you can be a rogue dps or bard healer type or tank.  I find this kinda lame, as I like roles to be defined and "old school".  Rift has lots of content, same as LOTRO. Rift graphics are a bit better imho.  

BUT long story short, if you want to get IMMERSED, go with LOTRO hands down.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    LOTRO has soul.  Rift is devoid of soul.  Play LOTRO.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    LOTRO, to me, is the far better game.

However, a large part of it is the world and its quests and while you still can accomplish things in 30 minutes, its not meant to be rushed through.

Rift has a 'feature' where the most efficient leveling is mindless grinding of 'Instant Adventures', which is quests without the quest givers, you are just warped from one mob/collection/named area to another is you complete the tasks, in a psuedo group/raid situation with others around you soloing the same content.

You can still do a traditional level, but if you want to quest and enjoy the world you should play LOTRO instead.

Rift also has a far better free player experience IMO.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    LOTRO is a better game, imo
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Lotro is standard game that is pretty dead except roleplaying. Also, pay money or grind soul because only few starter areas have quests. Standard Turbine piece of shit. 

Rift is one of the best f2p MMO. But on those forums you mostly hear how Trion devoured souls of children. 
  • PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    aliven said:
    Lotro is standard game that is pretty dead except roleplaying. Also, pay money or grind soul because only few starter areas have quests. Standard Turbine piece of shit. 

Rift is one of the best f2p MMO. But on those forums you mostly hear how Trion devoured souls of children. 
    I'm not sure about children, but puppies and kittens most definitely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited August 2016
    In my opinion they are both good games. I would agree with many in this thread that LoTRO is by far a better game. However, it all depends on what your looking for. If you're looking for a casual raiding game. Then Rift is the way to go. If you're looking for a more story driven MMORPG. Then you should probably look at LoTRO.

Also, don't buy into the whole this game is dead or that game is dead. Both Rift and LoTRO have very healthy communities. LoTRO has debatably one of the best communities in the genre.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    There was a similar thread not long ago - true, mostly for the games and not on p2w :wink:  I'm with wayne in this, if you plan to play only casually and for short timeframes, you won't see any p2w, since both games have way too much content to devour at that speed.
    (and I think there's no p2w in them anyways. You can ease the endgame grind a bit, a.k.a  p2convenience, but since you won't see endgame in a year, with 1 hour / day, no need for worry about that :lol: )

As for the games, I'd go with LotRO, since I play that one.
    Still log back to Rift from time to time, the housing is great, and the flexible character building is nice (if you're into that). But beyond that, it never "clicked" to me, mostly because the writing was dull... as Mighty said, it has no "soul". Even rifts were just random zergfests, I think CO's open missions are much better tied to the story and lore.

LotRO is a great game, and as mentioned above, has one of the best communities out there (next to TSW of course :awesome: )
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    You have to pay to ENJOY both games. They aren't really that free to play.
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    download and play them both, I wouldnt say either game is better. I have both plus EQ2, SWTOR, Conan & Wildstar on my HD and play which ever strikes my mood whenever I dont feel like playing my main game

Godz of War I call Thee

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    LOTRO is the better game.

Though at this time, I would think twice about investing in LOTRO. It has a huge amount of content, so will require a hefty time Investment (which is a plus in my book), but with the License expiring next year.... I would not start on this game now, just to have it shut down next year.

The population is just too low to warrant an expensive License renewal. So chances are very high it will get shutdown next year.

FFXIV is a much better candidate to sink your teeth in. A great game, with a ton of content, great storyline, great Dungeon experience and great community.
    More importantly. Very active Development support, giving your Worth of your Money paying the 10 bucks monthly fee.
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    JeroKane said:
    LOTRO is the better game.

Though at this time, I would think twice about investing in LOTRO. It has a huge amount of content, so will require a hefty time Investment (which is a plus in my book), but with the License expiring next year.... I would not start on this game now, just to have it shut down next year.

The population is just too low to warrant an expensive License renewal. So chances are very high it will get shutdown next year.

FFXIV is a much better candidate to sink your teeth in. A great game, with a ton of content, great storyline, great Dungeon experience and great community.
    More importantly. Very active Development support, giving your Worth of your Money paying the 10 bucks monthly fee.
    The license renewal is a routine thing, and it isn't just about one MMO: Turbine is a subsidiary of Warner, and there's no reason to think Warner and Saul Zaentz won't renew the same deal about the IP, especially since Warner has other things going with the Middle Earth IP and doesn't want to see it fall to one of their competitors.

As for LotRO, they've been making a profit (regardless of the population size), and Turbine has recently invested more money into the game and streamlined the staff to make sure it's profitable for quite a while still.  While Turbine itself doesn't get the final say over the license renewal (that'd be the Saul Zaentz company that does), they do have development plans for the next several years.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Lotro. It has lore, you may fell in love (or hate:somebody remembers Laila, the curse of the barrows?), you feel passion for some of them. Lotro's free to play model is just superb in my eyes. You may unlock almost everything (content, character slots etc) with Turbine points. And you get Turbine points by killing stuff, exploring areas. Example:kill 30 spiders  - 5 TPs, kill 60 spiders - get 10 TPs, explore some areas of Bree-land, get 5 TPs.
    Also, you most likely watched LOTR movies so most of stuff would be known to you, starting with Gandalf, Bree, ending with Minas Tirith and Nazguls. You will witness it all.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you get Rift, I would recommend not getting it from Steam.  I tried Rift recently, but couldn't continue past my first play session because Trion did not recognize my location as the same as I used the previous day.  I feel it was something to do with Steam

LotRO seems to be a bit more tolerant of Steam, but I think I'd still get it directly.  The only advantage to Steam is the discussion forum, but it can be very difficult to get any usable information from that source.  If you have a unique problem, chances are the best advice you are likely to get is simply to 'check the official forum'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TarindilTarindil Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I played LoTRO for 8 years. Rift for 3 now.

Lotro is great. Yes some nice people, but also some bad (as all games have). Lovely landscapes, clunky warhorses, great lore. After 8 years of doing everything in the game there was to do, I moved on. Housing was horrible. Only so many hooks to put decorations in. All in the same spots. No way to make your home look different than the cookie cutter next door. I do have a lifetime membership, so I return from time to time.

Rift. I went to Rift for one purpose only. Their Dimensions. Here you can buy a 'key' to a large plot of land. From there, you can build, under water, on land, in the sky, anything your mind can dream up. Can you store items in your Dimensions? No, not unless they are other 'dimension items'.  Check out some dimensions youtube.

After touring all the games that have housing, Rift is far above all others. There is literally nothing you can not build, your imagination is your only hold back.

Lotro: Great lore, clunky horses, beautiful landscape, crap housing. Raids, meh. PVP is the best IMHO.

Rift:  Quests in area's, story line not like LoTRO lore, but it's ok.  The 'rift's' are actually great. Anyone can join to beat the mobs. Also, you can 'shard' (server) hop at any time in game. This comes in useful for finding players, for gathering mats.  PvP is warfronts, it's ok, LoTRO's is better.

Both games have cash shops. Each has their drawbacks on the shop. Both have plus's.

Really it comes down to what it is you want to do with your time? If you want to quest with others, or follow a great story line, LoTRO is your best bet.

If you want to fight mobs with people from all the other shards, Rift is your best bet.

If you want PvP, I would recommend Lotro...

But...If you want to let your imagination go free....then Rift is your game. Dimensions are awesome

Hope that helped :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    LoTRO is much better IMO...Both are too quest driven but Rift is a total WoW ripoff.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I tried getting back into Lotro, but it just feels so dated.  Rift would be my suggestion.

I self identify as a monkey.

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited September 2016
    LoTRO is much better IMO...Both are too quest driven but Rift is a total WoW ripoff.
    That's a pretty weak statement. You can say this about any game; you can even say this about music as well. For example, Nicki Minaj - Your Love is a total ripoff of Annie Lennox - No more "I Love You's", but it's considered sampling. Games are influenced by other games; LoTRO is based on the books by J.R.R. Tolkien. Even though I am a big fan of LOTR, I have never enjoyed games based off of books or movies, so for me, I would say go with Rift. Rift is not a "total ripoff" of WoW. I am not pleased with the new paywall, but Rift's Rifts have been copied in other games; that was a unique idea that started in Rift. I have enjoyed many hours in Rift, but I am irritated that it's the only thing that you can think of Theocritus; you have already mentioned it several times in other Rift threads.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Tarindil said:
    Housing was horrible. Only so many hooks to put decorations in. All in the same spots. No way to make your home look different than the cookie cutter next door. 

They recently doubled the number of hooks in the houses.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I played both for quite a while. They both have their strengths. For LOTRO it's their lore of course which is very familiar and comfy. The class and mechanics are very old school and reminiscent of old WOW in many ways. A couple of classes, the Loremaster and Burglar are among my favorite MMO classes of all time.

Rifts lore is sort of goofy but the class mechanics are much more interesting. It also took zone-wide casual group events to the next level with its rifts. The Chloromancer soul in the mage skill tree is my favorite nuker/healer hybrid ever.

They're both F2P and have slightly different ways of selling you stuff. You'll only know which of the two cash shops is more annoying to you by playing them both. It won't cost you anything other than time and bandwidth to check them both out and make up your own mind.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED