Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Things MMO Gamers Should Stop Complaining About - The List at MMORPG.com

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Deasant said:

Sovrath said:

What complete garbage, flamebait artifcle tbh. When a character is dripping with gore and showing skeleton, if a company covers that up and replaces it with a bland version of the original, that is censorship.

Except it's not.

If a game was just a "work of art" I would agree with you. But it's a product and one designed to make money.

The companies that create these games have an idea of how much money they want to make. If changing their product allows them into other markets they are going to do it.

If I was to write a series of short stories that had questionable material and some publisher approached me and asked me if I wanted to bring it to another country BUT I would have to take out some of that questionable material it would depend on whether those stories were completely written with artistic integrity in mind or if they were written to make me money. If they were just for the money, of course I'd change them for another market.

You are completely dismissing that these games are "products to make money". Of course the developers would like to have some artistic integrity in their work but at the end of the day, if bringing these products to different markets, markets with people/laws that have different sensibilities, means changing them a bit, then they are going to be changed.

I can't recall a consumer, end user of games, EVER desiring for a game to be created so that it is a successful business endeavor. I have so many priorities about the product that take precedent. Do I desire it? Can I afford it? Will I enjoy it?

Never once do I think, "if I buy this product from them, will their profit margin please their desires?"
    I'm not sure what your point is. I'm talking about the difference between censorship and the decision to tailor a product to a specific market. Just that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited August 2016
    2 main issues...

RNG loot boxes are awful, don't pretend they're not. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to just purchase old event items straight out. Almost always RNG loot boxes contain items specific to the box (with a low chance).

P2W is exactly what it is. "You can't win pve" you absolutely can...
    You use BDO as an example saying us BDO players are confused, that's actually insulting. I've played the game since early access. The pearl shop to market update didn't change my opinion on the game at all, but it IS p2w. You're pretending if you actually think it cannot make a difference. 100m silver a week isn't a HUGE deal, but it's a game changer to most people. It's about 15+ hours of farming (silver, not items). You can easily get almost full +15 gear with that, or buy very good accessories... also all the best armor in the game is sub 100m price at base level. In BDO there is no "bound" gear, so everything can be purchased/resold. And being that BDO's endgame is PVP... yeah gear is important. Oh and I mentioned your "you can't win PVE" comment because in BDO if you want to farm or grind exp, you're going to fight for those areas. So in a way, you have to win just to PVE.
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Problem in a nutshell:

mmorpg.com used to be a website for gamers to read about and discuss games.

Then it became all about that business $. Now the website is ran by advertising dollars. That's right, this site is run by people whose paycheck comes from game developers/publishers. Not by the consumers of the website.

See what's inherently broken here? mmorpg.com writers are no longer writing for us, the consumers but for them, the publishers.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I couldn't really care less about the localization/censorship point. I respectfully disagree on the lockbox point. If it's a game where they all stack on a single inventory slot, I can ignore them. But in cases like STO, I would end up with a couple of dozen different types of lockboxes every week and it was just a chore to delete them all. Heck, let me vend them for the lowest denomination in game -- I'd be fine with that compromise.

And honestly, I prefer to have games labeled as either sandbox or theme park. (I know a lot of people enjoy sandboxes but I haven't played one that kept me interested for longer than a couple of weeks so at least I'd know in advance to stay away!)

I'd agree with the statement that "not everything is pay to win." However, many publishers/developers seem to be drifting that way so I think they should be aware of the potential backlash they could (and should) face if their game goes there. In fact, I'm not sure that any of those points Bill made are worthy of making this list (in moderation). I'd much rather encourage people to tell the developers what they like and don't like. Otherwise, we're just going to get more of the crap we've had delivered for the last couple of years.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Deasant said:

rodarin said:

I said it about 3 years ago when the Pandoras box was opened and these little concessions were made here and there. People accepted these small things in the name of 'we need to to keep good games like this in development and being made so we have to stop being so stringent in how we think

Blah blah blah blah blah. If you're gonna try to absurdly take credit for something or having foretold it, at least make up an amount of time that would actually encompass the beginning of the said something you are trying to take credit for. Otherwise you just look like a chest puffer.
    Huh? Go check my history, if its still there. Also hard to take credit for something these companies did. I just saw it coming.

Also not sure where 'taking credit' comes in I just noticed how people were becoming less rabid about obvious issues. I cant help it if people have now become so complacent they take anything and its OK. Or that the gaming companies have just taken full advantage of it. Irony is this article is trying to tell them to do something they already do, I guess thats where they draw the line. 

Or more accurately people justify something THEIR 'pet' game does that is exactly the same as some other game they might not be defending and they have to make up reasons why its OK for their game to do it and evil for the other game.

Hey I dont disagree with some of the stuff. I think people getting all crazy over lock boxes is dumb, especially if those lock boxes dont offer anything you cant get in the game or at 'worst' some 'exclusive' skin. I dont have a problem with those. And P2W in PvE, nonexistent. BUT if PvE is tied to PvP in anyway that makes that a moot argument. Or if youre allowed ot use in game money to buy real world items then that is a whole pay to win circle. You spend 50 bucks real money to get something that lets you farm in game cash faster which then allows you to purchase more real money items. Some might call it a 'smart investment' but its pretty blatant.

Another reason why it 'works' in some games and not others. It doesnt. The thing is in the games where it 'works' those are games no one gives a shit about anymore. So I guess that is one thing you can take away from all this. If you put something questionable in your game and it causes the forums and reddit to urn then your game is still relevant. If you do it and no one cares then youre game is a ghost town.

Complaining about it isnt going to change the industry,  that ship sailed years ago. So now you can only voice displeasure and hope it works in a case by case situation. Which isnt unheard of.
    Deasant said:
    Problem in a nutshell:

mmorpg.com used to be a website for gamers to read about and discuss games.

Then it became all about that business $. Now the website is ran by advertising dollars. That's right, this site is run by people whose paycheck comes from game developers/publishers. Not by the consumers of the website.

See what's inherently broken here? mmorpg.com writers are no longer writing for us, the consumers but for them, the publishers.
    So you are saying that the site was never funded by advertising dollars?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Talonsin said:
    SBFord said:

A bit over dramatic, don't you think? I may not agree on all points, but I love the spirited conversation that those with mature viewpoints can hold. :) I wanted Bill to add "stop complaining about games you don't like. If you don't like them, move on and keep your trap shut". But...that could fuel enough volumes to put Encyclopedia Britannica to shame. ;)
    Imagine if the founding fathers of the US just decided to "move on and keep their trap shut" back 200+ years ago when England imposed the tea tax... 

I might have free or subsidized health care instead of paying a small fortune every year for it?

Yeah....that would suck. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ParnnoxParnnox Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Did you really just call a game where you buy items with real money to sell for ingame silver in a game where the BEST IN SLOT GEAR IS OBTAINABLE BY SILVER IN A HEAVILY PVP BASED GAME. Not p2w?

Also localization not censorship? Ya wanna bet? One look at the original story in Blade and Soul vs the English version shows exactly that. It might be a terrible game, but no game deserves to have it's story butchered because it might offend someone. I guess it's okay to censor people if it's something you agree with right? Weak counterpoint. No one cares about china's skele censorship, they do however care about say changing a characters dialogue massively because of hip pop culture references.

Holy hell how much are you being paid or are you really that dense? I'll complain about whatever the hell I want, call out stupid things when I see it and make a mockery of people who attempt to defend it. I'd make a mockery of you but frankly, you've done that to yourself and I can't really make you look any worse. You are a joke. Only in gaming is the idea that a consumer demand a product not screw them over looked down on with disdain.

You are apart of the cancer that's turned games into p2w, dlc, early access trash. You're a joke, you're a mess, and your thoughts are going to be looked on with contempt, mockery and forgotten the moment people stop caring what some "journalist" thinks about games.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    RAWR LET'S YELL AT THE OP BECAUSE THEIR OPINION IS WRONG AND MY OPINION IS MIGHTY AND RIGHT RAWR

(MMORPG.com, in a nut shell)
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Sovrath said:

its a kind of censorship, you can say its a way to make it sell better, but in doing so they censor what they made so it could fit,
    But look at it this way, if they were, at the beginning, solely interested in opening in China then they would have made their game taking into account local laws as it's a product they want to sell in that market. That's not "censorship", that's knowing your market.

A friend of mine was hired to write a piece for a ballet studio. He submitted all sorts of work based on his tastes and they didn't like anything he did. Finally he thought a bit outside the box and created some really "new agey" thing and lo and behold they loved it.

He could have insisted that it was "his way or the highway" and held on to his artistic integrity but in the end he was being hired to write something for "them" and what they wanted.

That was the job.

The job of World of Warcraft's managers is to create a good game and one that will work in a variety of markets. They could just as easily said "my way or the highway" but they wanted to bring that game to China so they made the change. I don't look at it as censorship at all but tailoring your products to different people with different sensibilities (or at least different laws).

But you know, it's sort of a fine line. If I was to make a painting that was a skeleton smoking a cigar and put it in a gallery in china and the government made me change it that would be censorship. If I wanted to sell my painting in china and knew that they did not allow the depiction of human bones I would change the art so it would sell. Fine line.
    here isteh thing on your firend he was making things to sell, it was still all ideas he would like to work on, none passed so he made a new thing outside what he normally do, that is hardly censorship, that is trying to sell something you made, a censorship would be he sold the whole ballet then in a part they say we won't want that cut it out but after you already did the whole thing damn even the bailerine is already dressed in a way now they don't want, sure he says ok and she covers a little more up, but that is a censor, they changed to prevent or to please someone, be it the govern or someone else its a censorship

i'm not saying its wrong, i'm saying its censorship, if you change something after its done no because the thing was made to make loot cooler or to fit in teh lore better, but to please someone, I could say teh way the censorship worked during dictatorial goverments, they censor would vet things so IF the dude with article, film, product wanted to sell it he would need to change.

undertand now?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Sovrath said:

its a kind of censorship, you can say its a way to make it sell better, but in doing so they censor what they made so it could fit,
    But look at it this way, if they were, at the beginning, solely interested in opening in China then they would have made their game taking into account local laws as it's a product they want to sell in that market. That's not "censorship", that's knowing your market.

A friend of mine was hired to write a piece for a ballet studio. He submitted all sorts of work based on his tastes and they didn't like anything he did. Finally he thought a bit outside the box and created some really "new agey" thing and lo and behold they loved it.

He could have insisted that it was "his way or the highway" and held on to his artistic integrity but in the end he was being hired to write something for "them" and what they wanted.

That was the job.

The job of World of Warcraft's managers is to create a good game and one that will work in a variety of markets. They could just as easily said "my way or the highway" but they wanted to bring that game to China so they made the change. I don't look at it as censorship at all but tailoring your products to different people with different sensibilities (or at least different laws).

But you know, it's sort of a fine line. If I was to make a painting that was a skeleton smoking a cigar and put it in a gallery in china and the government made me change it that would be censorship. If I wanted to sell my painting in china and knew that they did not allow the depiction of human bones I would change the art so it would sell. Fine line.
    here isteh thing on your firend he was making things to sell, it was still all ideas he would like to work on, none passed so he made a new thing outside what he normally do, that is hardly censorship, that is trying to sell something you made, a censorship would be he sold the whole ballet then in a part they say we won't want that cut it out but after you already did the whole thing damn even the bailerine is already dressed in a way now they don't want, sure he says ok and she covers a little more up, but that is a censor, they changed to prevent or to please someone, be it the govern or someone else its a censorship

i'm not saying its wrong, i'm saying its censorship, if you change something after its done no because the thing was made to make loot cooler or to fit in teh lore better, but to please someone, I could say teh way the censorship worked during dictatorial goverments, they censor would vet things so IF the dude with article, film, product wanted to sell it he would need to change.

undertand now?
    I completely understand your point but it balances on the idea that "things are not made to change later" and that's simply not true in this case.

Blizzard could have said "no, this is the way the game is". But they create their games, their products to work in many markets. And part of adapting to those markets is changing things.

In the example of my friend, he was hired to create a work for them. They were the customer and anything he wrote would have to be changed for them the customer.

In the example of WoW, Blizzard wanted Chinese customers and were willing to change their product to reflect local laws/tastes.

That's not censorship.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2016
    Deasant said:
    Problem in a nutshell:

1) Then it became all about that business $. Now the website is ran by advertising dollars.

2) Not by the consumers of the website. mmorpg.com writers are no longer writing for us, the consumers 
    As to these particular points:

1) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......*takes deep breath*.....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....tell that to my bank account. ;)

2) Over the years we've talked with the "consumers" about putting up a pay gate, subscription etc. That is met by approval from a small number of people, but many more who say to the effect of, "If we have to PAY (i.e. making them consumers!), then we'll go elsewhere!"

It's just amazing how an article that is one man's opinion on what he believes are some widespread issues with a loud and boisterous segment of gamers is now suddenly "in the pay of publishers"? An astonishing reach.

I guess you missed Rob's article on "Things Players SHOULD Complain About" that rebutts some of Bill's points? Here's the link.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/11104/Five-Things-MMO-Gamers-Should-Complain-About.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
    Oh yes, the, the Norwegian Blue. What's wrong with it?

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Completely disagree on number 5, lockboxes will ultimately destroy the MMO genre. Mark my words Bill...
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Spiider said:

You are wrong on all accounts more or less. Gamers that pay for the games have 100% right to moan all they want about anything they feel like. If its f2p this is somewhat limited but if there is a cash shop of any kind moaning goes to 100% again.

You seem to believe that gamers are special kind of humans. Wrong again. Gamers are just like everyone else, selfish, spoiled, ignorant (by choice) and arrogant (out of fear). Of course they will complain.

If you pay for a game after seeing what it has to offer then still whine then I say the issue is yours.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Scellow said:
    Again, another corrupted journalist, time to say goodbye to this website, the mmo genre is dead
    again?!

I self identify as a monkey.

• MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52

Spiider said:

You are wrong on all accounts more or less. Gamers that pay for the games have 100% right to moan all they want about anything they feel like. If its f2p this is somewhat limited but if there is a cash shop of any kind moaning goes to 100% again.

You seem to believe that gamers are special kind of humans. Wrong again. Gamers are just like everyone else, selfish, spoiled, ignorant (by choice) and arrogant (out of fear). Of course they will complain.

That's because he's a cuck.
  • tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    specifically the 'localisation vs censorship'

uhhh, WoW china didnt change the undead character models because of cultural tastes, they changed it because the government wouldnt allow a ceratin amount of gore, i.e. censorship. thats what censorship is, homeboy - the gov says 'you cant', regardless of what the people may want.

you even state this yourself, in saying they had to conform to 'the law', yet you dont see this as censorship? mind boggling. you are amazingly clueless.

the rest of this 'article' is the same sort of trash, and frankly i am quite happy to see others in the comments here bombing it into the mud.
    tokini said:
    specifically the 'localisation vs censorship'

uhhh, WoW china didnt change the undead character models because of cultural tastes, they changed it because the government wouldnt allow a ceratin amount of gore, i.e. censorship. thats what censorship is, homeboy - the gov says 'you cant', regardless of what the people may want.

you even state this yourself, in saying they had to conform to 'the law', yet you dont see this as censorship? mind boggling. you are amazingly clueless.

the rest of this 'article' is the same sort of trash, and frankly i am quite happy to see others in the comments here bombing it into the mud.
    No I don't. The law states x. Blizzard wants to sell in that market so they change their product.

Whether you agree with the law or whether that law is "just" is another thing. The same thing would happen here. The big networks generally don't put graphic nudity (in the U.S.) on TV. Is that censorship or do the companies in question want an audience?

As far as "undead/skeletons" apparently it's not those "per se" but images of death that are an issue.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

Sovrath said:

What complete garbage, flamebait artifcle tbh. When a character is dripping with gore and showing skeleton, if a company covers that up and replaces it with a bland version of the original, that is censorship.

Except it's not.

If a game was just a "work of art" I would agree with you. But it's a product and one designed to make money.

The companies that create these games have an idea of how much money they want to make. If changing their product allows them into other markets they are going to do it.

If I was to write a series of short stories that had questionable material and some publisher approached me and asked me if I wanted to bring it to another country BUT I would have to take out some of that questionable material it would depend on whether those stories were completely written with artistic integrity in mind or if they were written to make me money. If they were just for the money, of course I'd change them for another market.

You are completely dismissing that these games are "products to make money". Of course the developers would like to have some artistic integrity in their work but at the end of the day, if bringing these products to different markets, markets with people/laws that have different sensibilities, means changing them a bit, then they are going to be changed.

except it is.
    the example you gave is clearly one of giving into to censorship. once agian, i doubt the population at large has an issue with the content, its the governing body that tries to exerrt control that has the issue.

americans clearly like sex and violence, yet our government seems to try and quash these things in the entertainment fields as often as possible. i doubt the good people of china were offended by gory undead models. more like their gov decided they shouldnt see it - i.e. censorship.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    donger56 said:
    Western civilization was built because people complained about things like tyranny, high taxes, and oppression so I'll just keep complaining when I see bullshit happening, but thanks for the advice anyway. What a noob....
    Western Civilization was built ON tyranny, high taxes and oppression. It predates the American Revolution by millennia.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited August 2016
    I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
    For the ones who have no idea what your talking about ;)

Post edited by laserit on

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Without feedback, both positive and negative, nothing changes.  But an article advocating silencing specific critical views seems totally out of place on a place where much of that discussion occurs.  The article seems simply thrown together from forum hot topics, without really advancing any position.  A total waste of time.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

tokini said:

Sovrath said:

Except it's not.

except it is.
    the example you gave is clearly one of giving into to censorship. once agian, i doubt the population at large has an issue with the content, its the governing body that tries to exerrt control that has the issue.

americans clearly like sex and violence, yet our government seems to try and quash these things in the entertainment fields as often as possible. i doubt the good people of china were offended by gory undead models. more like their gov decided they shouldnt see it - i.e. censorship.
    Yes we do love sex and violence here and there are people who "don't" like sex and violence here. Clearly the laws, at least when it comes to regular network shows, favor that.

In the case of Blizzard they looked into China, saw what the laws ere and tailored their product. Now, if you are saying and can show that Blizzard released the product and then the Chinese government said that it wasn't allowed then I'd buy your idea that it was censored.

As I've said elsewhere, there is a fine line.

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    This thread reminds me of when I tell my toddler to stop throwing a hissy fit because she can't always have her way, and then she just throws a bigger one.