Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Things MMO Gamers Should Stop Complaining About - The List at MMORPG.com

Comments

• ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I agree with the Localization point and the Sandbox vs Themepark points, but not with the rest.

Lockboxes are evil, and a way to capitalize on people with an addictive personality. You wont see me play one unless you somehow can craft or find keys to them in game in which case they become just another matter of resource management.

About PvE players, I enjoy playing PvE games myself, but I also enjoy PvP games. I really dislike ganes that try to be both. Its extremely annoying to play games with PvP focus and find people complain in game about the very foundation of the game you are playing. Perhaps the problem isn't with the game but with the player who should have choosen another game.

What makes a good PvP game and a good PvE game are usually mutually exclusive and I can't really find a single example of a game that has been able to do both successfully. If you don't like PvP, play a game that is designed not to be a PvP-game.

And everything where you can pay for in game advancement is PTW. Its not necessartily bad, but still PTW. Any computer program that doesn't involve a sense of winning and losing has lost the right to refer to itself as a game.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I still like the saying, "Less QQ, more pew pew".

Play the games for past time enjoyment, and if you are not enjoying the time spent, move on.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• miyosamiyosa Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited August 2016
    My 1st comment in years! weee! at any rate I both agree and disagree.

5.) THE RANDOM REWARD LOCKBOX

Lock boxes being ok is subjective. That is just truth. It isn't just about what YOU find ok to sell since you aren't everyone. If a game puts a costume or some item that can only be obtained from that box instead of flat out being able to buy then an issue can arise. Why should someone not complain when what they really wanted is put behind an RNG box meant to bleed you dry? Even more so if a bunch of other stuff is simply purchasable outright without the box. It is never an issue until that issue effects you I suppose. But I would say not ALL lockboxes are bad. Also add to this that at what point do they start putting more and more behind the boxes until it gets worse.

4.) CAREBEARS AND NOOBS

Can't disagree at all. People tend to forget that everyone was new at some point. I mean even if the newer people annoy, help out. Don't be a detriment to growth.

3.) NOT EVERYTHING IS PAY TO WIN

Agree with this as well. The saying has been abused and misused for the longest for any and every thing. Doubt a lot of people know it's actual meaning. HOWEVER! pay to progress can be seen as p2w depending on how much progress you are getting. What's the big difference from being able to buy a weapon from a cash shop outright vs being able to buy all the parts, ingredients and money to build it. Steps. I am not saying games do exactly this but instant progress and progress that adds a few more steps isn't all that different. Also I can't agree with that caption about BDO. Silver is power. The moment you can swipe for more it becomes p2w. Doesn't make a difference if it makes no sense to do so. Lot of things in life make no sense and people do it. Even more so when you realize the amount people spend on non performance effecting things. Add to this the owpvp with none equalized gear (unless this was changed), game being completely gear dependent and yea. It is p2w. Whether it is deal breakingly bad would depend upon the person.

2.) SANDBOX VERSUS THEMEPARK

No real comment. Don't care about it, just play what I enjoy.

1.) LOCALIZATION IS NOT CENSORSHIP

Another point of "not all". Some localization is censorship. Changing it for the region doesn't change that. What you probably have an issue with is how big of an issue people make about it. Your examples for this don't even hold up either. A definition of Censorship is the suppression of free speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions. Don't know about you but the examples given fall under this. Regardless of the reasons you change it, you still changed it. As with the p2w and boxes, how big of a fuss it brings depends on the person.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

Oh boy, someone tries to write a reasonable article about a universal truth(people complaining). Article becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as people do nothing but complain.

Good article, but you're trying to be reasonable with a people who are wholly incapable of being reasonable.

Hit the nail on the head with this one. I learned this years ago...and that's why you get these outlandish responses to the article. By the way, I agree with you on your point Bill. Well done.
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    I liked this post. The amount of things that drive people to Internet rage is absurd.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Talonsin said:
    SBFord said:

A bit over dramatic, don't you think? I may not agree on all points, but I love the spirited conversation that those with mature viewpoints can hold. :) I wanted Bill to add "stop complaining about games you don't like. If you don't like them, move on and keep your trap shut". But...that could fuel enough volumes to put Encyclopedia Britannica to shame. ;)
    Imagine if the founding fathers of the US just decided to "move on and keep their trap shut" back 200+ years ago when England imposed the tea tax... 

Did... did you just compare MMORPG arguments to a revolution from over 200 years ago? Because, I'm thinking ONE of us might need to re-prioritize their battles. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101

DMKano said:

I agree with all points Bill.

I think for me it's pretty simple when it comed to video game complants - ask yourself "is this within my realm of control" before complaining?

If it's a game feature or an idea for doing something better - feedback to devs is the way to go.

If it's something that is entirely outside of my control - such as how pricing scheme is setup for a game - that's none of my business, if I don't like it I simply don't have to buy or play.

Taking a perspective where gamers think they have a right to dictate how companies sell their products is just a big pet peeve of mine.

Entertainers can charge whatever they want for their products, a Vegas show that is $500, it's their right to ask for that price.

So can game companies - it's their right to set pricing for their product.

I mean if you don't want to pay for entertainment - DON'T, just move on, but please drop the pretense that somehow you should be dictating pricing models to game companies.

Finally video games are not a human right, nobody is entitled to play "fair to all online video games".

When a video game sells Rng lootbox it's not a Geneva convention violation 

Better watch out DK, you are using logic here. The fact of the matter is gamers do have a say. Just don't play or pay. If companies stop making money off from something they will stop making it. As you said Bill has hit a lot on the head with this article. This generation that feels entitled AF leaks into all parts of life, especially gaming. One game offered FTP one time, and then people wanted more free. The fact is nothing is free, and these companies need to make money somehow.

Here's some advice to all of you out there. If you see a problem, don't bitch about the problem. COme up with a solution and share it. In the case of these games, making everything free is not the right answer. Also B2P will not allow for a company to keep game servers open for extended periods of time. There is a need for a renewable income source. So, figure that out.

Also, if you have some great idea as to how an MMOG should be made, that will make everyone happy, and be the most iconic piece of software ever released then go make it. Go experience the time, cost, and headache it is to create a game... then go release it for free, and then don't ask for any compensation in anyway shape of form. Just let the people play.

The fact is if your time is spent complaining about something instead of doing something productive, how about change what you are doing.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    SBFord said:

Scellow said:

Again, another corrupted journalist, time to say goodbye to this website, the mmo genre is dead

A bit over dramatic, don't you think? I may not agree on all points, but I love the spirited conversation that those with mature viewpoints can hold. :) I wanted Bill to add "stop complaining about games you don't like. If you don't like them, move on and keep your trap shut". But...that could fuel enough volumes to put Encyclopedia Britannica to shame. ;)
    Really though I want people to let us know if a game is bad...If they remain quiet about it then alot of us others are going to get burned (like No Mans Sky).......This should be a site about various opinions (good and bad) of games so we can get a handle on whether or not we want to play a certain MMO.
    I agree.  If you had a bad experience with a game, you should let others know, even possibly doing a review.  We all appreciate different points of view.  But make it more than just 'THIS GAME SUXS!!'  Why don't you like it?  That is what I want to know.  

And if you don't like the combat, tell me why.  'This combat sux' says nothing to me.  'The melee combat in this game is very pedestrian, several steps below the terrific combat animations and effects of ranged combat.'  That gives me a lot to consider, since I prefer melee combat in most games.

Once you have made your opinion known a few times to the point that nobody doubts what you think, it is probably time to let it go and find a game you do like.  Or even to find another game to skewer a few times.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    #1: Absolutely not. Until they have a better system, we should continue complaining about the lockbox lottery that has worse odds that any real life ticket. Especially when those items are tied to progression.

#3: Absolutely not. If there are noncosmetic items that can only be achieved by buying them in any game title and said items can at all even in the tiniest bit be connected to either skill or gear progression, it means it's pay to win. It's giving an unfair advantage to people who spend money like crazy and it's also something that's detrimental to the life of the game, case in point, Archeage.

The rest of that is absolutely true. I've seen the best success however for sandbox vs themepark in games that are a bit of both. Sandbox seems to have too much freedom and no direction and themeparks are so on rails that it tends to get boring. The best games I've played over the years that have caught my attention for long periods of time have been those that incorporate both.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Location (outside obviously language translations, though you could still consider it that if the original language isn't available) IS censorship. You can argue whether its necessarily a bad thing sure but you are changing the original product from what it was like before. Sure, I for one dislike seeing loli butts or seeing skin show off but still, if its changed to hide that it is censoring the original game. Personally for me unless some laws force a certain action (which I see as wrong but that's another topic) it would be nice if it was instead an OPTION and not forced upon the user, specially if the changes were made not for the audience but for outside voices who have absolutely no interest in the game themselves.

I can see the other points being opinions, but to claim changing something from its original intended final product, you ARE censoring it no matter if you think you can justify it. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

What is the next article going to suggest, that kids should start bringing cash to D&D sessions? 

If they would it certainly would be a huge help. B)
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Funny but what i read from that wall text was :

5.The random reward lock box = Stop whining about a Korean Model MMO and buy it.
    4.Carebears and noobs = Pls dont shoot the customers.
    3.Not everything is pay to win = BDO is not a P2W / keep the money coming.
    2.Sandbox VS Themepark = That's all we can offer. Next pls.
    1.Localization is not sensorship = OK if you really dont like the Korean model we'll add some spices.
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Spiider said:
    You are wrong on all accounts more or less. Gamers that pay for the games have 100% right to moan all they want about anything they feel like. If its f2p this is somewhat limited but if there is a cash shop of any kind moaning goes to 100% again.

You seem to believe that gamers are special kind of humans. Wrong again. Gamers are just like everyone else, selfish, spoiled, ignorant (by choice) and arrogant (out of fear). Of course they will complain.

They are software users which makes them lusers.  Any software engineer should know to ignore their prattling.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• JMulla2016JMulla2016 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I am a relative newcomer when it comes discussing MMORPGs, although I've been playing them for quite some time.

The article is on point for the most part. The truth is that the games are becoming more of a moneymaker solely rather than being an artistic platform or entertainment. There's too many "pay-for-this" moments in MMORPGs today that take away the focus from important parts that truly make the game.

As for the censorship - it's been present for decades, long before video games themselves. I'm not for it, but I understand it.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I couldn't finish the comments all the way through. The only thing I complain about every time I see it is locked boxes. Just give me a button that I never have any drop for me. I don't care about what it does for the game except for make me made that I get 20 boxes while farming for one thing. I would not even think about the boxes if I had a little check box that was to have no locked boxes spawn for me.

I don't care about the other things that much but it will never stop me from complaining. Of course there has only been 3 or 4 games that I left and never came back to because of what they were doing. I generally complain a couple of times to make sure I let my opinion (which is not better or worse than any others in my way of thinking) be known then go on with game or take a break from it and go play something else.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Sovrath said:

What is the next article going to suggest, that kids should start bringing cash to D&D sessions? 

If they would it certainly would be a huge help. B)
    That Mountain Dew Money has to come from somewhere.
  • velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Triggered
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Torval said:
    Aori said:
    I agree localization adapts its media to the region its trying to appeal, that doesn't change the fact it still contains censorship.

So your point on that is wrong. Call it whatever you want, removing/blocking offensive content is still censorship.
    There are two kinds of censorship. Imposed censorship by an authority and self-censorship for personal reasons.

We all use self-censorship all the time. I know I do here, especially when I see the lack of thought put into some "arguments". I can't tell someone they're a moronic thoughtless idiot even if what they write proves it. I censor myself for the sake of civility so our discussions can be somewhat positive and productive.

Businesses use self-censorship when they want to appeal to a target demographic. They say, phrase, and frame what they want to sell in a way that appeals to their customers and doesn't offend them. Sometimes they change they products to appeal to a target demographic.

The other kind of censorship is imposed by authorities. The editing and changing is not an option and is not defined or dictated by the creator or communicator. How things are censored isn't up for discussion either.

In one the source chooses to censor for their own benefit. In the second they are being given an edict to be followed or be penalized if not.

These games coming to the west aren't being censored by an outside source. They're being censored so they can make more money. Typically when we refer to censorship, we're talking about the second kind imposed on us, unless noted otherwise, without choice.
    Well stated.  I would also like to add that censorship is often needed to get to a certain rating, which can be needed for marketing to a certain demographic.  Little blood and no boobies if you want a game rated 'TEEN', even if those things existed in the original game.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Sovrath said:

What complete garbage, flamebait artifcle tbh. When a character is dripping with gore and showing skeleton, if a company covers that up and replaces it with a bland version of the original, that is censorship.

Except it's not.

If a game was just a "work of art" I would agree with you. But it's a product and one designed to make money.

The companies that create these games have an idea of how much money they want to make. If changing their product allows them into other markets they are going to do it.

If I was to write a series of short stories that had questionable material and some publisher approached me and asked me if I wanted to bring it to another country BUT I would have to take out some of that questionable material it would depend on whether those stories were completely written with artistic integrity in mind or if they were written to make me money. If they were just for the money, of course I'd change them for another market.

You are completely dismissing that these games are "products to make money". Of course the developers would like to have some artistic integrity in their work but at the end of the day, if bringing these products to different markets, markets with people/laws that have different sensibilities, means changing them a bit, then they are going to be changed.

its a kind of censorship, you can say its a way to make it sell better, but in doing so they censor what they made so it could fit, thing is the lyn thing was really small and not really game breaking, i'm more worried with people who think that is sexual or even a chance to a pedo attack a children.

but that is another thing for another time, with really will change nothing the problem now is not only lack of good gameplay, only game i'm playing right now who could be called "new" is blade and soul and that is only because my friends wanted to play it then they gave up and since I had nothing else I keep playing, but not for the history, not for the gamplays (with really is nothing new and bring nothing to table), and certainly not for the cash shop, only reason is lack of anything better to do, I still dwell on aion(again nothing new but I played for so long and since I will not spend any money on it anymore) fallen earth(kinda a Pve game for fun) and darkeden, as you can see on these 4 3 are really old, 2 are more then 10 years old,

but then we also have to deal with paid jornalist saying we should just stfu because he think no player will know what they complain about, new flash kids, if someone still bother to complain to you is because for some strange reason he still likes your game and changing his core to try to gather more people on risk of losing your very core players will not help, I would be more worried with people who don't complain, jsut quit and don't bother to give money again

for me trion, nexon, and some devs will never see the color of my money again, why? i'm pretty tired of the baits then after 6 month they decide to cut cost and push a agressive cash shop so they can milk it like crazy till they can't so tehy can finally cut it and launch another one with the same things

but again i'm pretty sure i'm wasting my time, since i'm complaining, about a collum complaing about complainers in the market of games, since the jornalist complainer need to alienate his readers. and since its not the first or a new thing he does, I will just add him for the list f I don't read ever and keep adblocks up at maximum when I come here
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

People complain because there is a passion, concern and there is love.  The greater the passion, concern or love, the greater the complaint.  We should worry more when the complaining stops.  By then it will already have been much too late.  For the passion, concern and love is gone, and the only alternative left is to quietly move on.  

I think some of can't stand peace and quiet and need to stir things up!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZulikaZulika Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I have not played any mmos in weeks. Thinking of uninstalling the remaining ones due to their cash shops and loot box additions/changes. This genre is shifting into something I do not want to be a part of.
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    I agree with point #4.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THE ENTIRE ARTICLE OUTSIDE OF #4

*****Let's try this...
    1 thing website contributors should stop doing.... telling me what I should think or feel.

I lost a lot of respect for you by reading this article Bill.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

its a kind of censorship, you can say its a way to make it sell better, but in doing so they censor what they made so it could fit,
    But look at it this way, if they were, at the beginning, solely interested in opening in China then they would have made their game taking into account local laws as it's a product they want to sell in that market. That's not "censorship", that's knowing your market.

A friend of mine was hired to write a piece for a ballet studio. He submitted all sorts of work based on his tastes and they didn't like anything he did. Finally he thought a bit outside the box and created some really "new agey" thing and lo and behold they loved it.

He could have insisted that it was "his way or the highway" and held on to his artistic integrity but in the end he was being hired to write something for "them" and what they wanted.

That was the job.

The job of World of Warcraft's managers is to create a good game and one that will work in a variety of markets. They could just as easily said "my way or the highway" but they wanted to bring that game to China so they made the change. I don't look at it as censorship at all but tailoring your products to different people with different sensibilities (or at least different laws).

But you know, it's sort of a fine line. If I was to make a painting that was a skeleton smoking a cigar and put it in a gallery in china and the government made me change it that would be censorship. If I wanted to sell my painting in china and knew that they did not allow the depiction of human bones I would change the art so it would sell. Fine line.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

rodarin said:

I said it about 3 years ago when the Pandoras box was opened and these little concessions were made here and there. People accepted these small things in the name of 'we need to to keep good games like this in development and being made so we have to stop being so stringent in how we think

Blah blah blah blah blah. If you're gonna try to absurdly take credit for something or having foretold it, at least make up an amount of time that would actually encompass the beginning of the said something you are trying to take credit for. Otherwise you just look like a chest puffer.

Sovrath said:

What complete garbage, flamebait artifcle tbh. When a character is dripping with gore and showing skeleton, if a company covers that up and replaces it with a bland version of the original, that is censorship.

Except it's not.

If a game was just a "work of art" I would agree with you. But it's a product and one designed to make money.

The companies that create these games have an idea of how much money they want to make. If changing their product allows them into other markets they are going to do it.

If I was to write a series of short stories that had questionable material and some publisher approached me and asked me if I wanted to bring it to another country BUT I would have to take out some of that questionable material it would depend on whether those stories were completely written with artistic integrity in mind or if they were written to make me money. If they were just for the money, of course I'd change them for another market.

You are completely dismissing that these games are "products to make money". Of course the developers would like to have some artistic integrity in their work but at the end of the day, if bringing these products to different markets, markets with people/laws that have different sensibilities, means changing them a bit, then they are going to be changed.

I can't recall a consumer, end user of games, EVER desiring for a game to be created so that it is a successful business endeavor. I have so many priorities about the product that take precedent. Do I desire it? Can I afford it? Will I enjoy it?

Never once do I think, "if I buy this product from them, will their profit margin please their desires?"