Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Things MMO Gamers Should Stop Complaining About - The List at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFive Things MMO Gamers Should Stop Complaining About - The List at MMORPG.com

We whine a lot. Not just as gamers, or MMO gamers, but as human beings in the western civilized world, we complain about anything we perceive as unfair or unjust or in any way lopsided. I don’t know why this is, I’m no psychologist. But I do know that there are at least five things we MMO gamers need to just get over already. At the risk of being cliché, we really do beat too many dead horses.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    You are wrong on all accounts more or less. Gamers that pay for the games have 100% right to moan all they want about anything they feel like. If its f2p this is somewhat limited but if there is a cash shop of any kind moaning goes to 100% again.

You seem to believe that gamers are special kind of humans. Wrong again. Gamers are just like everyone else, selfish, spoiled, ignorant (by choice) and arrogant (out of fear). Of course they will complain.
    Gdemami

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• KRILE0NKRILE0N Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited August 2016
    Gamble Boxes fuel an unhealthy addiction for a lot of people. They're anti-consumer. If you say they're ok then why isn't just selling the cosmetics they contain ok? It makes zero sense beyond trying to force people into buying 100s for 1 item instead of just being happy with buying that 1 item. So no.. I won't be ok with gamble boxes in item shops. If they can be earned and unlocked in-game that's a different story and becomes a simple gold sink. GW2 is the only one that lets you earn lockbox keys that you listed so is the only one I am comfortable with.

Yes, you can win at PVE. If you spent 3 months getting XYZ gear and some guy comes along and buys it all in 2 days from the item shop I am pretty confident you're going to feel a little slighted seeing how it just completely undermined your accomplishments. Ok, so maybe not everyone will feel this way, but MANY do.

The bottom line is MMOs of late have been absolute cash grab garbage. If they're not P2W outright they will be within 3 months. That seams to be the common trend for F2P games, but it's also infecting B2P games. The only escape is subscription based. I'm at the point that over the past 15 years of MMO gaming that I'm sick of seeing item shops, because I've lived through so many failures.
    Gdemami
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Again, another corrupted journalist, time to say goodbye to this website, the mmo genre is dead
    DvoraDeadSpockGdemami
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Reading this trash makes me wonder if this guy has ever played an MMO in this decade. What a condescending rant of idiocy this is. This looks like something that belongs on Reddit or something. I understand you make a living being a shill for these greedy dishonest developers, but you could at least try not to suck up every chance you get. There are so many legitimate complaints about the current state of the MMO genre, you could write a book on it. "stop complaining" is hardly a solution or the answer to anything. Western civilization was built because people complained about things like tyranny, high taxes, and oppression so I'll just keep complaining when I see bullshit happening, but thanks for the advice anyway. What a noob....
    Gdemami
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I should add 6.) complaining about the opinions of others... Then follow my own advice, I guess. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    That 3 has a bad example since BDO is an open world pvp game with lackluster pve, so yeah anything with open pvp where you can pay real money to get ahead of everyone else is p2w. I'll agree that you can't really p2w in pve focused games.
    Gdemami
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    I should add 6.) complaining about the opinions of others... Then follow my own advice, I guess. :)
    You know what they say about opinions, right?
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited August 2016
    Hello, Bill. Let's say we were playing Dungeons & Dragons on a tabletop. As we're playing, the DM offers to individually increase everyone's health and stats as long as they keep slipping him a 20 dollar bill. Would you find this to be fun? Is it fair to players who don't have the money? Would you complain if a paying player just so happened to survive in PvP -- by a few hit points -- due to his +5 constitution p2w cloak?

Each item that you purchase from a cash shop that increases your survivability (even by a little bit) is pay to win. Any mathematical advantage you have over another player of equivalent equipment/level is unfair.
    Gdemami
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Or you could pretend to be a journalist instead of just giving your opinion all the time maybe? This isn't cable news here, but it sure seems like it. 
    Gdemami
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    That lead photo makes me think the lead signer here:

are into cossplay

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

donger56 said:

Reading this trash makes me wonder if this guy has ever played an MMO in this decade. What a condescending rant of idiocy this is. This looks like something that belongs on Reddit or something. I understand you make a living being a shill for these greedy dishonest developers, but you could at least try not to suck up every chance you get. There are so many legitimate complaints about the current state of the MMO genre, you could write a book on it. "stop complaining" is hardly a solution or the answer to anything. Western civilization was built because people complained about things like tyranny, high taxes, and oppression so I'll just keep complaining when I see bullshit happening, but thanks for the advice anyway. What a noob....

With one reply, you hit EVERY thing I called on people to stop doing. Well done.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

donger56 said:

Or you could pretend to be a journalist instead of just giving your opinion all the time maybe? This isn't cable news here, but it sure seems like it. 

You seem to not understand what a column is, and I'm sorry about that.

My Review Manifesto

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    @BillMurphy And you thought "Censorship vs Localization" would be the hot topic!

You should have known better.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    don't really know what the reason you put this thing up, feh guess more things to ignore next time, there is some writers I just skip when I see the name, more to that list I guess
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited August 2016
    I agree with some points. I do think sandbox and open world fans do have something to complain about though. I mean we've got Eve and Darkfall and ummm kinda BDO and super old games from the 90's (that we've already played for many many years).

I don't usually buy into slippery slope arguments but I really don't like the direction many games with open PvP have gone with buying in game cash with RL funds. We should voice our objections, as these devs will run with it until they can't anymore.
    Gdemami
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Keep up the good work, Bill!

I agree completely!

You forgot the BIGGEST one though - the "MMO GENRE IS DYING" debates!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited August 2016

donger56 said:

It's a part two piece to the "Things Players SHOULD whine about". It isn't a condescending rant of idiocy".

Though in truth, some of his points have merit. "Gamerz" don't come across as stable, reasonable lot as they rant and rave whenever they get the chance. There is no way this genre is going to gain legitimacy if gamers constantly come across as whining, hateful brats.

Not liking something is one thing, completely acceptable. But the way many express themselves makes it seem like the genre is filled with brats and man-boys/women-girls.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited August 2016
    There is a line between complaining and discussing and discussing is always ok IMO. Complain also has its place. Sometimes the above listed are free game IMO and sometimes they are not. Like when a dev team says, we will not ____________ and then after masses buy the game and they implement that 6 months later. Would be like FF adding F2P and cash show and lock boxes now. Or when you see an MMO you have been waiting years to come out take a left turn just before launch like CoH did after everyone bought life time subs.

Where I think the line is, endless game bashing. You know the game wont change its stance. You know there is a fan base that is excited for the game and every time a thread or new feed comes out about that game. The same 5 people jump in and say the same 5 things over and over. IMO they are forum trash. Just as bad as the posters that dont seem to like any game and just bash everything. THEY NEED TO GO AWAY!!!!!!
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on
    Gdemami
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2016

Scellow said:

Again, another corrupted journalist, time to say goodbye to this website, the mmo genre is dead

A bit over dramatic, don't you think? I may not agree on all points, but I love the spirited conversation that those with mature viewpoints can hold. :) I wanted Bill to add "stop complaining about games you don't like. If you don't like them, move on and keep your trap shut". But...that could fuel enough volumes to put Encyclopedia Britannica to shame. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

donger56 said:

You seem to not understand what a column is, and I'm sorry about that.
    In fact I am not sure I even understand his comment.

game journalism IS about opinion. just straight up only Reuters version of the news would be about 1 article a month.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2016
    SBFord said:

Scellow said:

A bit over dramatic, don't you think? I may not agree on all points, but I love the spirited conversation that those with mature viewpoints can hold. :) I wanted Bill to add "stop complaining about games you don't like. If you don't like them, move on and keep your trap shut". But...that could fuel enough volumes to put Encyclopedia Britannica to shame. ;)
    That's honestly a difficult point since many people that complain about game isn't because they do not really like it but they want it to change. Moving on from something that you want to be "better" isn't always easy to do. I'm guilty of that.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited August 2016
    Somehow "Kill Bill" comes to mind ..... Kidding more like "Poor Bill".

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    This is a very good list. I would like to add more items, but it looks like that is being done already.

Censorship is something I would have thought would been most discussed as well, but somehow I shouldn't have been surprised that P2W was the #1 discussed topic (so far). I'm playing what many people would consider a 'P2W' game right now, Star Trek Online. While PWE has plenty of games under there umbrella that are no doubt P2W, I don't think STO qualifies. But for some reason giving a game the title of P2W seems like a badge of courage. But as was pointed out, the term has become almost meaningless because the F2P crowd thinks EVERYTHING is P2W if you can trade a tootsie roll for a cool looking belt.

And btw, the cash shop in STO is almost completely cosmetic. For every ship you can buy with Zen, there is another ship you can ONLY get by investing time. This is a really good setup, as for real Trekkies the look of their ship is everything! And throwing money at a game is something that all games require, whether by sub or cash shop. No income = no updates, and a short countdown to the game dying.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited August 2016

SBFord said:

Scellow said:

A bit over dramatic, don't you think? I may not agree on all points, but I love the spirited conversation that those with mature viewpoints can hold. :)

I wanted Bill to add "stop complaining about games you don't like. If you don't like them, move on and keep your trap shut". But...that could fuel enough volumes to put Encyclopedia Britannica to shame. ;)

Well of course people should NOT keep their mouth shut if they are tired of these devs pumping out essentially the same damn game for 10+ years. BDO is different and pretty remarkable (despite the monetization issues). Allowing devs to do whatever they want, without pushback is horrible idea. Just because some people have their feelings hurt on a forum, does not warrant stopping people from pushing back against some of the things that are going on within the genre.

Nothing gets me fired up more than when people are telling you to be silent when there are clearly issues within the genre...big issues.
  • rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    What a pile of horse shit is this *article* ffs which publisher pay you to write all this bullshit? so by your logic MMORPG gamers who btw are also "customers" for those who publish MMORPGs have no right to complain when a publisher lie to them, when a publisher censor stuff left & right & bring a butchered product in your region compare to the original, when a publisher start filling the cash shop with random reward boxes & extort a crazy amount of money from gullible people that might regret that later after realize how stupid they were who fall in the trap of those publishers who care only to squeeze as much money as possible from all of us, & if I judge by the pic you choose at No3 it seriously looks like you try to defend those dirty liars scammers from kakaogames, if that's what you are trying to do you must be ashamed of yourself for being a game journalist & choose to @sslicking those dirty scumbags, those disgusting people who did nothing else than keep on lying & deceiving thousands of people & when they got our money they did a U-turn & did all the opposite stuff from what they were saying they'll do, don't try to dmg-control them there is no point that train have long gone now, they are doomed they choose to take a path they can't return from anymore, what follows is f2p/merges/even more p2w & they will end up with a small player base of whales & casuals who don't care about PvP, Node Wars/Sieges & the game will stop have any kind of competition & more & more people will quit eventually, BDO have no future anymore & kakaogames is the reason for that.