Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF 2 different types of online games

SherishSherish Member UncommonPosts: 5
Hi there

As the subject states, I'm looking for two different types of games - these have to be PC only, both pref P2P:

1) I play regularly with a friend, we don't like to group with others (this is mainly due to our playtimes and her workload, Im EU she's US), we just like to duo stuff, this means dungeoning etc is out.  Old, dead games ala CoH/V would have been perfect but...  We're both old and old school lol, tho I'm a bit more old school than her.  I intially had a MUD background then UO, then alpha+betad DAOC, then I went to EQ and became a hardcore raider.  We met in EQ2 but both had the EQ1 background, and touched on VG, but EQ2 started pushing full grouping so we had to say goodbye.  We've tried Rift, SWTOR, and of course WoW - which is where we are currently, but will move on from in about 6 months as I CANNOT level another fking character, I'm sorry to those who love WoW but pre-Legion I have 10 capped char on Alliance, 9 on Horde, I'm sick of it.  I've tried many other MMOs to see if they suit but most seem to be either full PVP or push dungeoning/full groups, or you complete the 'solo' part of the game in a few week with everything else group/dungeon/raid and have nothing left to do except craft (looking at you, GW2!).  Unfortunately due to my disability I can no longer PVP, I've tried, it's frustrating extremely painful, so before people start jumping in and spouting crap about how I'm just a wuss etc (yes, I've seen the threads), take a moment.  So any games that are suggested can't be solely PVP, if they have it, it has to be via arenas or open pvp on select servers only.

So basically for option 1, no open PVP, dungeons that alter their size depending on the group size (cant remember the name for it), plenty of content for duo/solo.  We don't care about crafting.  We just want to log in, get quests, kill shit, get loot, level up.  We still remember EQ1, so we don't care if it's easy or hard to level up.  We don't care about story background, fantasy, sci-fi, apocalyptic, whatever.

Option 2)  This is for me.  As much as I love playing with my friend, we only play together 3-4 times a week.  I need to kill stuff more often than that.  I don't mind grouping or raiding, but due to disability, I cannot always guarantee being available for raids (like I used to be for EQ1 - mind you, does anyone hardcore like that anymore? 6 nights a week, from 6pm-2am? the night off to be spent leveling up/gaining AAs).  Again. no PVP.  One game I did love was the ME3 MP, but the only thing I've come close to that is Warframe, and the community just isn't the same :anguished: Another one I really truly loved was CoV/CoH, I alpha'd and beta'd both and loved them to death.  Not found anything similar.  I'd love a new version of DAOC - I've tried going back but I just can't deal with the old graphics.

Whilst I don't mind grouping and dungeoning, I will never be a top 100-type player (like ME3 MP and cancel/reload trick), my disability makes me slightly slow to react and my DPS/Heals may not be the very best [but still pretty good, damn it!]), yes there are always bad apples, but some games seem to have barrels full of them.

So for option 2) no open PVP, solo content, group content and people usually LFGing, dungeoning and people usually LFDing, crafting is an option (every single one of my wow chars is a max crafter sigh), good overall community, any background storyline and levelling difficulty

As stated above, I prefer both to be P2P, mainly because this tends to attact a more mature type of player (or so I've found) and makes it a more even and equal playing base and less like to be imbalanced.  However, option 2 can take a peek at other payment option games, as long as the community is generally mature.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Sher

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Your best bet is to try back after legion? Since you do not honestly know if you're going to quit it or not in 6 months since its still in 6 months. Artifacts etc might keep you busy enough.

Alternatively, you can try something like ESO or even Neverwinter which gives you plenty of depth and optional grouping when you want to. ESO pvp in cyrodil is honestly more pve than it is pvp. Black Desert might be a game to keep an eye out for too, which is solo/grind heavy with a lot of side activities like horse breeding etc.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Twice mentioned the love of CoH, so as a first suggestion, CO maybe? It fits the first part fully, and even for the second part for some extent - and it's from the same guys who made CoH :wink:

For part 1: no pvp, difficulty setting is possible, lots of duo / small group content, crafting is almost non-existing. One way of easy leveling is through Alerts (5-man dungeons through queue, can sign up as a duo), that way no need to care about story and leveling is easy. As you said: "We just want to log in, get quests, kill shit, get loot, level up."

Part 2: some are still fitting, but the crafting is lacking, community is friendly but small, and no leveling difficulty (even if you do the other path, through questing, for the background storyline and lore).
    So for this I'd rather say LotRO. Amazing community, lore, huge amounts of content for solo, plenty of dungeons, frequent use of LFG, very nice crafting. No pvp (just on a separate instance).

Both are f2p with optional sub, but it has no effect on the community (probably due to the size). LotRO always had a mature and friendly playerbase, and CO has a small, quite close-knit community, with a decent number of CoH refugees. No real inbalances either, especially if you go with the subscription.
  • SherishSherish Member UncommonPosts: 5
    @Albatroes- sorry though I was clearer than I was, that's a definite leave 6months after Legion, basically we both pre-purchased Legion before we suffered burnout, and we have given ourselves 6 months post Legion before burnout again.  Don't forget we won't/can't do dungeons/raids, so alot of the artifacts I imagine we will have to miss out on - look at the previous expansions, their quests/items to keep you playing longer all involved dungeons and raiding.

I did look at Black Desert because of all the optionals you can do with your char, but it's a heavy open PVP game post lvl 30, and the community, well, lets just say, you don't even want to know what they called a disabled marine on the forums when he found out about the pvp and said politely open pvp wasn't for him.

I completely forgot about ESO tho, so thank you for that, I pre-ordered it, played it the week of release, wasn't impressed (it was buggy as hell) but haven't been back, will have to take a look as iir they've just released another expansion.

@Po_gg heh my love for CoH/V (I did type CoX then but it sounded really bad) knows no bounds.  I seriously miss it, and regularly search for leads of possible independant servers being hosted, no joy tho :anguished: I did forget completely about CO, I beta'd it for weeks and disagreed completely that it was ready for release, it was (like so so many) far too buggy.  But I imagine that has definately been ironed out.  Ill take a look at that as you're right, I felt that it was going to be the next CoH. 

As for part 2, I completely forget about LoTRO, I haven't played that in years.  I loved it, would spend hours crafting OMG HOURS, again this is a game I played for about a year post release, and at the time it wasn't that easy to solo, and surprisingly people didn't want to group,  they came in with their own small teams and pushed through, which is fair enough.  I imagine it's different now so I may take another look.

I want to thank you both for being really quick with your responses and really informative with them as well, and pointing me in some valid directions, so cheers :awesome:

Thanks

Sher

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2016
    For yourself, or maybe both of you, you can give FFXIV's free trial a look as well. You can level up to 30 or 35, forgot which. But there's no forced pvp, you can play all classes on a single character, the crafting and gathering is a bit different than most games since its more treated like a 'class' than a separate thing (you gear up your craft etc). There a instance dungeon like thing that you can get access to that allows you to pretty much try any class that is 17 up to cap eventually while inside, even though the class system is a little weird at first so its probably not the most accurate representation of the class you play until you hit level 30 and unlock the classes 'job.' Plenty of stuff to do before you get completely bored. The only hinderance I'd say to the game is that several things are locked behind main story walls. So the dungeon I mentioned before, you'd have to do 3 dungeons I think which are unlocked via doing the main story (a good amount of dungeons are unlocked via the story quests).

FFXI is still around which is has alot for people to do solo/duo/full on group. Similar to FFXIV, you can play all classes (just called jobs in that game) on a single character, plus you get companions called alter egos that help you level up and fill our your party. Pretty good for new players. I'd probably recommend Asura server or maybe odin if you play since those 2 seem to be the more populated servers, and it doesn't look like SE is going to do server merges any time soon. I think FFXI still has a free trial as well.

I'm in the same boat as you with WoW, although I wouldn't completely rule out pvp. I'd say it comes down to how its presented, like I like big battles in wow (AV/Isles) cause you can kind of approach those bgs are your own pace. I'd just say maybe try a match or two and see how it feels since there's always gonna be someone better, but its good to remember that there's always going to be someone worse than you at pvp too, regardless of your circumstance.

Maybe even offer to play with people on here or something to expand your social circle. The more people you have at your disposal (so to speak), the easier it can be to do grouping at your own pace and such since people will understand your better than partying with a group of randoms.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Sherish said:
    [...] at the time it wasn't that easy to solo, and surprisingly people didn't want to group,  [...]
    :wink:  that anti-group attitude hasn't changed for a while, so eventually Turbine gave in and added a "godmode" buff to the forced grouping parts (not really godmode, you still can die easily, but it's at least doable). Plus the game has tons of xp now with the level cap above 100, crafting also gives xp now, not to mention the level-adjustable dungeons and skirmishes with their infinite xp sources. Plus the Big Battles.

So, it's much easier to solo now, the mandatory 6-man group parts you can solo/duo with the buff, for the open-world group content you can go back a couple levels later and do it alone, Big Battles have solo/duo mode, and the dungeons you can set for lower level if you don't have a full group.
    Or, still can play in groups if you like, obviously :wink:  but solo is now a totally viable option in LotRO.