Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play mmos?

13»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It makes me feel like I am not the only one wasting my time away. Its like if I'm going to waste my time I might as well do it in a virtual world with a couple thousand other people.
    Welcome to the forum! Now you can waste your time here with us!  >:)
    It all depend what you see as "wasting time". Some people see going to church as well used time others as a waste. Some see working as the important thing. If you want to leave a legacy to ones coming after you then it is a waste of time but as I see it I will be dead then anyways.

If you have a good time playing MMOs then I don't see it as a waste. If you don't then you need to find something else you do enjoy in your spare time.

Of course if all you enjoy is playing MMOs  you do have a whole lot of other problems...
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I have a few words to say about that.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    i always wanted to be the hero.

and i can achieve that in the game. easily
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I honestly have no idea. Habit, I'm assuming. 

Joined - July 2004

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    waynejr2 said:
    To escape reality.

Great answer. 
    What is this "reality" you speak of? If it even exists I think everyone perceives it differently.

I saw reality once.  It was an overrated experience.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    An rpg that doesn't 'end'. Always the one thing lacking for me with single player rpg's was the completion of the game... I always hated beating it cause my character progression stopped. I like to make an avatar and know its always there to play and new things are added to do.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Playing mmo's is a form of escapism for me. It allows me to shift my mind into a digital world and escape certain aspects of reality. It also teaches me certain skills. Skills like organization and preparedness that filters into my non-digital life. If non-digital even makes sense hehe. Actually long hours of gamining physically, has caused me many problems like arthritis in my hands. I'm slowly fading away from computer games as I get older. I think I'm realizing I haves nothing more to learn from games. Quite honestly games are really bad nowadays so it is easy to leave them.

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    i like to play mmo because i can be girl in virtual world.

but im not gay, im manly man straight man.

its just fun to be girl, escape from reality, be something totally different from who i am in real world.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    To have fun and wind down after along day at work. 

I don't give give a shit if it's F2P, P2P, cash shop, PvE, PvP, full-loot, or any of the other worthless names thrown at a game. I'll participate in whatever he game offers to support it if I'm having fun.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Why not?

Just another kind of game, and games are just one form of entertainment. Nothing special about it, except for the drama everyone makes about them. Though with games like LoL, or the annual release of CoD, i wouldn't even be so sure about that.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Because they are fun.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Avanah said:
    Because they are fun.
    They are? You'd never know it from reading these forums. ;)

I actually don't play MMORPGs for "fun" rather I derive satisfaction from accomplishment, the longer lasting the better.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FalkorsEgoFalkorsEgo Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I feel the escapism is the largest factor. We grow up watching movies that have impossible worlds, powers and storys and we yearn to experience it. RPGs, MMMORPGs and really indepth storyline based games give us a little of that. We feel we are actually part of it.

Plus i think theres just something about the comradary that is unbeatable at times. Everyone banding together for hours just to take down a boss. 

Plus kick ass powers! lol
  • RytheronRytheron Member CommonPosts: 6
    Very interesting topic here.  I'm 54 years old and seen most everything in the mmorpg world.  I think it should boil down to regional server type set for all games, as in north America=+state/city. That way, true friends/family will participate...imho
  • GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I think my primary motivation is the social aspect and the habit-building. It's just nice to have this persistant game world you can return to and make progress in, all the while building a social circle through your guild and so on. 

That and roleplaying. It sometimes adds an interesting layer to an otherwise ordinary gaming experience.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    This may seem like the obvious reason but because they are fun.