Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Anet slowly turning into Trion?

furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
Folks,

I wanted to share my views for the past few days. What bugs me is this 4th anniversary... sale? I mean one would expect at least some sort of festival, some activities and what not. But now we get... SALES. On Gem store. Just asking for your money because it's 4th anniversay. Pay up. Spend!

Not cool.

Agreed?

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Folks,

I wanted to share my views for the past few days. What bugs me is this 4th anniversary... sale? I mean one would expect at least some sort of festival, some activities and what not. But now we get... SALES. On Gem store. Just asking for your money because it's 4th anniversay. Pay up. Spend!

Not cool.

Agreed?
    Anet has never done anniversary festivals. Their holidays have always been Wintersday, Halloween, and Canthan New Year (aka Dragon Bash). 

It wouldn't kill them to reopen the Crown Pavillion for this, but there's nothing wrong as is. They do the anniversary sale every year and add in the next birthday present for characters.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Folks,

Not cool.

Agreed?
    You don't have to buy anything to play or win.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    No.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Well, since they are still majority owned by NCSoft, I'd say the odds of them turning into Trion is low. It's not impossible though, developers get bought and sold quite a bit in the gaming community
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    GW2 never striked me as a game with a lack of festivals.

In the past, the huge updates were based primarily around festivals.
    During Season 1 & 2, you had bi-weekly event updates. That means Anet could deliver "festivals" for any reason. 

That has changed in Season 3. Important to note, this is in line with player feedback. The majority of players did not enjoy the bi-weekly updates. (I personally loved them, but it is what it is.)

Content updates now come every 2-3 months. They released a big update 1 month ago. The timing simply isn't right for a big festival now. You will likely see a big update around Halloween and Christmas.
  • AlieniconAlienicon Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I bought the game when it first came out. Played it long enough to make a level 80 warrior and some other toons. Couldn't stand it.  I tried again a few days ago. Still just can't stand the game. Ugh. Someone trade me for a ESO or FFXIV account lol
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Quick question OP....what exactly is there pay to win in GW2? What exactly are you winning in GW2 since there's no real goal in the game any way...? PvP is pretty much equalized so it doesn't matter someone's gear. PvE? People zzz through it anyway. So....?
  • ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Alienicon said:
    I bought the game when it first came out. Played it long enough to make a level 80 warrior and some other toons. Couldn't stand it.  I tried again a few days ago. Still just can't stand the game. Ugh. Someone trade me for a ESO or FFXIV account lol
    I'm the same way. I bought the game the day it came out and have tried it off and on, including when the expansion was released. Just couldn't get into it. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano said,

"Do you pay their bills, their employee salaries and health care benefits, 401K, office space rent, data center operational costs? "

Yes, actually we do pay for all of that stuff.

Where the hell do you think they get the money to do those things?

You make this argument time and time again.  You want to believe reputation and customer satisfaction are non-factors in business, because you have friends at Trion and they fail at both so incredibly hard at these things.

It's not true though.  Reputation and customer satisfaction are important factors in earning income long-term.  Some would say the most important factors.

As for the OP, I'm kind of surprised GW2 isn't more cash-grabby since ANet owned by NcSoft.  Or maybe NcSoft is just that way with Blade and Soul- haven't really played much of their other games.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nah, they're still in the newbie zone with this one... AoC, last year: https://youtu.be/TU8g3s76oa4   :lol:

in short, "Amazing upcoming new anniversary event!"  Then on lauch day:

"wait, we said what? no no, that was a small communication error, it's definitely not an anniversary event, it's a content update which accidentally goes on the very same day. No, it's not free for subscribers unlike previous updates. Why not? good question, because... uhm... because it will be a new thing, regular updates!  (not one another happened since then)  Anyways, there's the checkout, go and buy it. Thanks. What? oh, yeah, almost forgot, have a happy anniversary!"  :sweat:

(for the record, I like AoC :wink: )
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited August 2016
    DMKano's version of the Wal-Mart story:

"In 1945, a businessman and former J. C. Penney employee, Sam Walton, purchased a branch of the Ben Franklin stores from the Butler Brothers.[18] His primary focus was on selling products at low prices to get higher-volume sales at a lower profit margin, portraying it as a crusade for the consumer.

Once he got a few regular customers, he raised prices.  He started charging 5 cents for the right to use grocery carts.  When asked about these tactics, Mr. Walton said, "I have to pay bills."

Friend of Sam Walton, BMKano, told local newspaper, "Consumers have no right to complain about the higher prices or fee for grocery carts.  They are just consumers."

In 2016, the store's name changed to Wal-Mart and the Walton family plans on opening one additional store, bringing the grand total of stores in the Wal-Mart franchise to 2."
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    The anniversary for GW2 has always been celebrated on GW1.
    The Wayfarer event is active now btw...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I think I got some underserved hatred spewn on me. I've NEVER, never EVER said it's Pay2Win. Because it's NOT. Guild Wars 2 actually has the most amazing monetization EVER.

To clarify: Did you get what they promised for Expansion? Not everything, and especially new legendaries, which were cancelled (YES, I KNOW WE GOT SOME, SHUT UP). That was sad. Then they realized the mistake and made changes. Alright. Let's shut up, swallow it and move on. It might be the nostalgia for Wintersday/Haloween events, but I, personally, find the latest updates... lackluster. And it has also lately been all about the SALES. SALES. And more SALES on the gem shop. Why not do something interesting? It's your fourth anniversary! And Anet can sure do some really amazing festivals.

Also, DMKano, why the angry reply? I wasn't complaining about pricing? I was just expressing the way I lately feel. You do the same, and don't see me throwing around such replies?

Stay cool.
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    DMKano said:
    Folks,

Not cool.

Agreed?

Do you work for Arenanet?

Do you pay their bills, their employee salaries and health care benefits, 401K, office space rent, data center operational costs? 

No?

Than is it cool for you to have any input on how they conduct their business as far as trying to stay afloat and keep their company running? 

Shouldn't that be their right of every business to be able to set pricing on their own products? 

If you as consumer don't like it - don't buy it, but please drop this pretense as if somehow players should be the ones to decide how game companies make money.

You are an absolute simple minded idiot if you don't think the consumer has the right to define the market.
    Wait... I just realized DMKano has friends at Trion. Well that suddenly explains just about *coughtriggeredcough* everything, excuse me.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Folks,

Not cool.

Agreed?

I see your point, but its nothing like Trion (Rift). Although I don't think Rift is that bad either, its just a lot more expensive than GW2, same with AA.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't understand how this is bad. Just because they put items on sale during an event? That sounds like a good thing. Plus why does it matter that they put things on sale. How does this make them Trion? Are they selling thunderstruck log equivalents in the cash shop? 
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I also want money on my birthdays.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    In my opinion game companies that are doing well just pay lip service to their consumers' opinions and views. They may say your view is important blah...blah but the only time they actually sit up and take notice is when they are doing poorly but by then most of the people who complained have left.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Just the fact you can pick shadow abyss from you 4th bday present is great (every character gets one dye).

Not only that you get a bday mail carrier and a choice of 1 of 5 racial back pieces (once per account).

Plus the regular boost to level xx (40 now), bday booster and 5K karma  per character.

Compared to the stuff that you got one bday one, it has been improving alot.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Nothing like Trion.  If you look up "greedy video game developers who have lost their soul" Scott Hartsman's picture is the first thing you will see.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Folks,

Not cool.

Agreed?
     You must be a new player, welcome to GW2. The sales on the week of the anniversary have been going on for the last 3 years.  It's nothing new, so no they aren't "becoming more like Trion."  Personally, I quite enjoyed my 4th "birthday gift" of a dye worth over 300g.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Not turning into Trion.

It's a matter of facts and math, the earnings GW2 is providing are laying since the expansion under the publisher expectations, that usually results on 2 outcomes, they cut in the development behind the game (like Wildstar) or they invest into ways to generate more revenue, as they are doing.

They have a cash shop, but what they put there vs its worth on the price asked is complicated. Because mostly the currency conversion makes it so if you play through specific end-game content you can buy the cash store content without buying premium currency.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    A buy 2 play game with more world events,  more area events,  more ways to level,  at least 3 yearly living world changes.  Along with several yearly festivals.  Dood you got your money's worth.  I don't see any other game b2p, f2p, or subscription that gives their players this much bang for their buck.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    I'm not a new player. I've been around, on and off, since launch.

Now that I think about it, I was probably stuck with nostalgia for good ol' Halloween and Wintersday events. Dat clock tower JP!