Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is a closet gamer in my workplace!

GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
I only work with a total of 4 guys at a security desk.  I am not shy about stating my love for computer gaming, particularly my love of MMORPGs.

So I go in the back room and get my lunch out of the fridge, and a suspiciously laptopish sized black box is on top of a couple of other boxes.  With my curiosity piqued, I go look.

And the empty box is for an ASUS ROG laptop.  15.6" screen,  i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM, a 512GB SSD + 1.5 TB HDD, and... a GTX1070M with 8 gigs of dedicated GDDR5 memory.

Whoa.  I wonder what that cost whoever-it-was?  Now I have to find out who this closet gamer is!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited August 2016
    Honestly, if you want a good desktop replacement it will be a gaming laptop. There aren't many desktop replacements that are not gaming laptops. For instance if you want a laptop with a 15" or 17" screen, it's going to be a gaming laptop.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Hey I use a very similar computer to that one! For work that is. Asus just makes a really good laptop for traveling with. I do game with it occasionally but it is not a dedicated gaming rig.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Yeah, but ROG stands for Republic Of Gamers.  You typically don't find desktop replacement laptops advertised for gaming.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     It could be a one of your admins or tech guys, we used to have gaming laptops for our system admins so they could keep multiple monitoring programs up at once, and still use their e-mail and search etc.  Not many regular business laptops have a fast enough processor, or enough ram to maximize productivity.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Cleffy said:
    Honestly, if you want a good desktop replacement it will be a gaming laptop. There aren't many desktop replacements that are not gaming laptops. For instance if you want a laptop with a 15" or 17" screen, it's going to be a gaming laptop.
    Most people who aren't playing games have no real use for a GTX 1070M.  The other hardware, sure, but not a high end video card.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Quizzical said:
    Cleffy said:
    Most people who aren't playing games have no real use for a GTX 1070M.  The other hardware, sure, but not a high end video card.
     It's usually hard to find a laptop with top end specs, and a decent size screen without it being a gaming version, I think that's his point.
    Realizer said:
     It could be a one of your admins or tech guys, we used to have gaming laptops for our system admins so they could keep multiple monitoring programs up at once, and still use their e-mail and search etc.  Not many regular business laptops have a fast enough processor, or enough ram to maximize productivity.
    No admins in this office, just a security desk.  The only people that go in that room other than the 5 that work there are using the ladder to get to the roof door.

edited August 2016
    Realizer said:
    Quizzical said:
    Cleffy said:
     It's usually hard to find a laptop with top end specs, and a decent size screen without it being a gaming version, I think that's his point.
    I'll concede that it's often difficult to find a laptop with reasonable specs, but as you get into higher end hardware, you get more configurable options.  For example, choosing suitable options this offers something pretty close to the specs of the original post, but with integrated graphics for about $1200:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np3652-clevo-p650rz-1.html?startcustomization=1

There's a 17.3" version of it, too, if you prefer that size.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    GladDog said:
    I only work with a total of 4 guys at a security desk.  I am not shy about stating my love for computer gaming, particularly my love of MMORPGs.

So I go in the back room and get my lunch out of the fridge, and a suspiciously laptopish sized black box is on top of a couple of other boxes.  With my curiosity piqued, I go look.

And the empty box is for an ASUS ROG laptop.  15.6" screen,  i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM, a 512GB SSD + 1.5 TB HDD, and... a GTX1070M with 8 gigs of dedicated GDDR5 memory.

Whoa.  I wonder what that cost whoever-it-was?  Now I have to find out who this closet gamer is!
    have you tried simply asking your coworkers about it?

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Yeah, that is a sweet ride.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

sayuu said:
    GladDog said:

have you tried simply asking your coworkers about it?

I can't!  I saw the laptop box on Friday night, and I can't ask any of them until Monday, and I want to know NOW!

I have a brother at work and did not know it!

I found him!  It was one of the guys from days, and he has never gamed much before.  He wants to start, which is why he got a ROG system, so I have his laptop overnight, and I am setting him up with a couple of F2P games so he can get his feet wet.

He also bought a mouse from me, a wireless gaming mouse that was too damn big for traveling, and looks suspiciously like a homemade bomb on airport X-ray.  I was just glad to get most of my money back on it.

Tell him that real gamers use desktops.

Or just tell him that some random, obnoxious person on the Internet insisted that real gamers use desktops.  That's just as good.
    Quizzical said:
    Tell him that real gamers use desktops.

Or just tell him that some random, obnoxious person on the Internet insisted that real gamers use desktops.  That's just as good.
    Hehe I agree, but nowadays you can plug in a 1080p monitor or TV, use a real keyboard and mouse, and it might as well be a desktop.  Considering the specs on this laptop, that may not be a bad way to go.