Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon will have impeccable timing on it's side

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Have you ever seen topics about World of Warcraft and it's rise to power ?  Well if you haven't here's the story.

Many say it's success was do to it's timing.  MMO's were still in their infancy.  Early mmos such as UO, EQ1, and so on were shells of what was to come.  As good as these games were they need polish, they needed structure and story.  Developers knew this, hence we got several popular mmos.  EQ2, DAOC, FF11, CoH, WOW, and EVE just to name a few......BUT during this crucial time of feeding the starving one game stood out with its pristine everything.

That game was World of Warcraft. 

It had Graphics that played on a toaster, it had story and its lore, It was an extremely large world for its time, Several starting areas and zones, it was seamless in it's open world, and catered to all ages............ALL THIS WITH IMPECCABLE TIMING !!!

Well, we went full circle and were back at that time again !............Players are once again starving, exactly where we were back in 2003.

This topic came to me because of a topic on the general forums.  Something hit me like a ton of bricks. This guy posted a Youtube from a popular mmo reviewer about up coming games for 2016 and 17.

There "ALL" Asian grinders with cash shops !........For the most part this is what we got !

Looking on all Youtubes this is all their is.  The West has given up, were back to where we started.  The crowed here had changed hands, everyone here likes games online, not mmos........It may as well changed to an automotive forum, where people talk about car parts.  One group moved out and another moved in.  BUT UNDERSTAND THE REAL MMO PEOPLE ARE STILL OUT THEIR.  Infact new mmo players are waiting to be born.

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen has a chance, a very big chance as long as they don't blow it !!!!!!!!......Take your time !!!!!!  

THIS IS NOT ABOUT WORLD OF WARCRAFT.......IT'S ABOUT TIMING !!!!!!......PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS. 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    If you think Pantheon has the slightest chance to be as big as WoW... I dunno how to even respond.

WoW was more than a game it was for a time a social event.. it even had Coke Commercials..  (The drink lol)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    If you think Pantheon has the slightest chance to be as big as WoW... I dunno how to even respond.

WoW was more than a game it was for a time a social event.. it even had Coke Commercials..  (The drink lol)

This is not really about WoW....It's about timing !
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    edited August 2016
    I think you forgot that 'casual' games have really tainted a lot of the MMO population out there and while Pantheon sure has a shot at being successful, to think that it could ever come anywhere near a WoW level would be completely wrong.  Luckily, this is not what they intend to be.  This game is for the people who enjoyed EQ, Vanguard, and vanilla WoW and want to go back to a time where games weren't ruled by solo play, cash shops, and easy content.  This game will probably turn away a good number of people from being either too much of a time investment, too hard, or in it's lacking ability to solo the whole game.

Thankfully, I could give 2 shits, because this is exactly the game I want.  The thing about this game that will truly set it apart is it will bring back an actual community to online gaming, and you can actually make friends again and have a good time versus just playing alone in a massive world of people that you just bypass because it's a pointless waste of time to engage others.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Timing doesnt matter if the game is bad or just not good enough for a big audience, WoW was the right (and a good) game at the right time and it came from a well known developer.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The game will be niche (and I'm supporting the game). The devs know it and anyone looking into the game being bigger than it really will be honestly do not understand the goal of this game. Something like wow was the perfect storm. Perfect time, perfect marketing, a lot of weight behind it due to the warcraft series plus Diablo series being a widely known.

This game wont change the direction that the current mmo scene (not just mmorpg scene) is in. They are trying to make the niche game a little more appealing to those that may want a game like pantheon but fear they do not have the time to dedicate to it, but they aren't going to main stream it too much. People wanting Pantheon to succeed have to understand that this wont be a huge game. Not because of the team or direction of the game, but because of the current player base that inhabits mmos. Games like mobas and mobile stuff do so hot because they give people instant gratification which can be controlled by them and not the game. Games of the past had to have players pretty much tailored around the game and the community which many people do not want to deal with currently.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    It will never be gigantic, but i do agree the timing is good for them. I see a lot of people getting tired of the WoW clone /action MMOs that flood the market that are mostly very casual focused. A game like this or saga of lucimia stand a good chance at getting a nice chunk of what are likely to be dedicated long time players who are more hungry than ever for a game of their style. Hell the fact that its 2 games touting that old school style around the same time shows more than enough people seem to want it or at least got the idea that people want it.

The downside is that unlike WoW and more so like the older games like EQ and FFXI that the time/challange and design choices wont appeal to the masses. They will also suffer because they are low budget looking and have no IP behind them. Since both look a lot alike and are both going for generally the same audience it will end up splitting the niche userbase. 

Either way i hope one or both do very well and start getting some of these bigger studios to look at and incorperate some of the old school ideals into their games and start to be done with this causal WoW style generation that feels like its been going on way too damn long.
    Albatroes said:
    The game will be niche (and I'm supporting the game). The devs know it and anyone looking into the game being bigger than it really will be honestly do not understand the goal of this game. Something like wow was the perfect storm. Perfect time, perfect marketing, a lot of weight behind it due to the warcraft series plus Diablo series being a widely known.

This game wont change the direction that the current mmo scene (not just mmorpg scene) is in. They are trying to make the niche game a little more appealing to those that may want a game like pantheon but fear they do not have the time to dedicate to it, but they aren't going to main stream it too much. People wanting Pantheon to succeed have to understand that this wont be a huge game. Not because of the team or direction of the game, but because of the current player base that inhabits mmos. Games like mobas and mobile stuff do so hot because they give people instant gratification which can be controlled by them and not the game. Games of the past had to have players pretty much tailored around the game and the community which many people do not want to deal with currently.

I disagree.....The so called niche player is really the mmo player, it's just that this site changed hands to the "games online" group.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    zanfire said:
    It will never be gigantic, but i do agree the timing is good for them. I see a lot of people getting tired of the WoW clone /action MMOs that flood the market that are mostly very casual focused. A game like this or saga of lucimia stand a good chance at getting a nice chunk of what are likely to be dedicated long time players who are more hungry than ever for a game of their style. Hell the fact that its 2 games touting that old school style around the same time shows more than enough people seem to want it or at least got the idea that people want it.

The downside is that unlike WoW and more so like the older games like EQ and FFXI that the time/challange and design choices wont appeal to the masses. They will also suffer because they are low budget looking and have no IP behind them. Since both look a lot alike and are both going for generally the same audience it will end up splitting the niche userbase. 

Either way i hope one or both do very well and start getting some of these bigger studios to look at and incorperate some of the old school ideals into their games and start to be done with this causal WoW style generation that feels like its been going on way too damn long.
    I would agree. Its a hard choice tbh. SoL is going for a classless system that relies on skills versus the class system that Pantheon is bringing. Even in niche things like this, having more than 1 form of competition can be too much.

I'm not ragging on the " games on line " people.

I don't think they like the Unicorn and Rainbows crap either !

Pantheon, better have a lot of servers on opening day.

epoq said:
    I think you forgot that 'casual' games have really tainted a lot of the MMO population out there and while Pantheon sure has a shot at being successful, to think that it could ever come anywhere near a WoW level would be completely wrong.  Luckily, this is not what they intend to be.  This game is for the people who enjoyed EQ, Vanguard, and vanilla WoW and want to go back to a time where games weren't ruled by solo play, cash shops, and easy content.  This game will probably turn away a good number of people from being either too much of a time investment, too hard, or in it's lacking ability to solo the whole game.

Thankfully, I could give 2 shits, because this is exactly the game I want.  The thing about this game that will truly set it apart is it will bring back an actual community to online gaming, and you can actually make friends again and have a good time versus just playing alone in a massive world of people that you just bypass because it's a pointless waste of time to engage others.

I really like your second paragraph. 

" Bringing back the community "

People are not as fragile as people here think.  DEVELOPERS FORCED THE UNICORN AND RAINBOW CRAP !

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I think the timing is here but not like you think. There is a niche of gamers sick of cash shop, action combat and homogenized classes with no roles. This MMO has its place as a niche game. I do think they will put a hurt in Daybreak Games pocket books. EQ fans have been asking for a modern iteration of EQ for a long time. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

But just because people say it was "timing" doesn't make it true.  The whole "many people say" is a weasel phrase that is popular right now.  Even if you assume that many people say it doesn't make it true on it's face and it attempts to use "many" to sway people.

Here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Albatroes said:
    zanfire said:

I would agree. Its a hard choice tbh. SoL is going for a classless system that relies on skills versus the class system that Pantheon is bringing. Even in niche things like this, having more than 1 form of competition can be too much.
    I think the major difference between SoL and Pantheon is being overlooked.  I think SoL is actually closer to what most of the Pantheon followers are dreaming of than Pantheon itself.

SoL will be the hardcore, old-school, and group-required game. 

Brad has said several times that he isn't aiming to recreate EQ and take the old-school hardcore approach.  Pantheon will be much more modern and quality-of-life enriched than people are imagining in their fantasies. 
    Sure, they are aiming to create a group-focused game, but, imho, these two games really are travelling down entirely different branches.

Pantheon will be a modern game.  I think alot of people have hyped up their own nostalgic senses too much and are bound to be disappointed.
    waynejr2 said:

But just because people say it was "timing" doesn't make it true.  The whole "many people say" is a weasel phrase that is popular right now.  Even if you assume that many people say it doesn't make it true on it's face and it attempts to use "many" to sway people.

Here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

You may be right waynerjr2

In my opinion the many that say it was timing, I would have to guess and say it was.

Maybe if we sit back and think...........How would Vanilla WoW be accepted today if it were just released.

This may answer the question ?

• grinderygrindery Member UncommonPosts: 36
    WoW also had a responsive combat system, fluid and believable animations, and one of the best OST's in MMO gaming upon release. The track record for pantheon's development team is everquest and vanguard. Two games with some of the worst animations in MMO history. The game will get a surge of players upon release but within moments there will be hundreds upon hundreds of threads complaining about the piss poor combat system, and it will all stem from the combat animations. I've been following Pantheon for awhile now, and I firmly believe that the animations they have shown so far in streams will be the release product animations.
    grindery said:
    WoW also had a responsive combat system, fluid and believable animations, and one of the best OST's in MMO gaming upon release. The track record for pantheon's development team is everquest and vanguard. Two games with some of the worst animations in MMO history. The game will get a surge of players upon release but within moments there will be hundreds upon hundreds of threads complaining about the piss poor combat system, and it will all stem from the combat animations. I've been following Pantheon for awhile now, and I firmly believe that the animations they have shown so far in streams will be the release product animations.

Agree,

They BETTER get it right !

• ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 260
    No, Pantheon won't be the next big thing. There are too many flavors off MMO's out there and a lot of people have moved on completely to MOBA's and other games, and Pantheon won't bring them back. 
    ZenJelly said:
    No, Pantheon won't be the next big thing. There are too many flavors off MMO's out there and a lot of people have moved on completely to MOBA's and other games, and Pantheon won't bring them back. 

I see what your saying " so many flavors " so many games.

But no mmos.  Working with a group to slowly get something accomplished, something with deep thinking as a group.......We have none ! .......MMO's are like none other. 

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    MMORPG players have been fed crap for so long, they can't differentiate any more.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I do think any game operating like pantheon,  that enters into a vacuum of similar games, will be successful. .. for pantheon 100k subs would be a success imho, enough for a regular server and 1 or 2 specialty  (please rp server).

I do hope it's this game and eve that are the 2 I will be playing for the next 5 to 10 years

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    lol , no way pantheon will be anything other than a forgotten game 1 month after release
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Daikuru said:
    Timing doesnt matter if the game is bad or just not good enough for a big audience, WoW was the right (and a good) game at the right time and it came from a well known developer.
    Sry to go off topic, but holy damn your signature is so big and annoying. Do you need attention? 
    itchmon said:
    I do think any game operating like pantheon,  that enters into a vacuum of similar games, will be successful. .. for pantheon 100k subs would be a success imho, enough for a regular server and 1 or 2 specialty  (please rp server).

I do hope it's this game and eve that are the 2 I will be playing for the next 5 to 10 years

Like I say,

I think people are fed up with the Unicorn and Rainbows.....It will be bigger than people think.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    If this was truly the case, the EQ servers would be overflowing with players right now.
    LIOKI said:
    If this was truly the case, the EQ servers would be overflowing with players right now.

By no means am I putting down the Everquest, but the game is old, 1999.

It's time for new 2016.