Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Shroud of Confusion - Shroud of the Avatar Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Shroud of Confusion - Shroud of the Avatar Review

Richard Garriott’s Shroud of the Avatar recently saw the final character wipe and the rush for lot claims was conducted. While the game is still in development, we decided this to be the right time for a first review – after all you have to purchase the game if you want to play and progression is now permanent on the servers. Since our first impression in the previous article we tried to look beneath the surface of this complex, yet unpolished sandbox.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139
    The UI is so horrible. To be old school like mmorpg, ui doesn't have to be so shit like it was back in the day. Not sure if they are even interested in making some real money.
    RawynLeFantome
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    I'm happy you are doing a review the moment the game has the aspects of a released game, although they might call themselves alpha or what ever... If they charge money to play, get ready to be reviewed.
    Sounds like they deserve the score of 5.
    Azaron_Nightblade

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Much feels for the players who put ten or fifteen grand into this.
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    It was easy to predict these crowd-sourced MMO projects targeting the 'old school' nostalgia crowd would have a lot of flaws in comparison to newer MMOs on the market.  What I don't understand is why so many are being developed like time stopped in 2006 while ignoring newer MMO improvements (UI, graphics, player tutorials, controls, etc.)
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited August 2016
    Unfortunately, I backed this game. I haven't bothered to login in the last several months, nor did I bother to join in the land rush. I wish I could get a refund, but will have to settle for a lesson learned. I do not find any aspect of this game entertaining. It's frustrating, tedious, clunky, claustrophobic and ultimately boring. I'm old school, but my preference is for a living, breathing world simulation, this feels more like an instanced lobby game with outdated graphics and world design. Sparse quests and monsters makes for a terribly slow leveling curve and I despise the whole skill card deck idea. The skills themselves are uninspired. As far as older school MMO projects go, Pantheon offers so much more than Shroud of the Avatar and it's much earlier in the development cycle.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Meh, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....
    ShadowsladyLeFantome
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Doesnt look good to me. I was interested but after seen how housing has been monetized and managed I will probably never buy it.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I haven't played this since a couple years ago, I have had high hopes the entire time. I don't understand why they wouldn't finish the game prior to final wiping. I heard the story was basically not in yet, and quests are broken so they don't have an end or they just aren't done yet as well. So what's the point in even playing yet if half the thing isn't working. Why not just finish it first before making that decision to final wipe.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Oyjord said:

Meh, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....

To that end, is the game supposed to have quests and story based content? Because if that isn't a "feature" then the reviewer had done a bit of an injustice to the game.

There are issues with the game, don't get me wrong but if the majority of the game is supposed to be enjoyed for its sandbox content then there really doesn't need to be a mention of "story based content".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MarkusRohringerMarkusRohringer Member UncommonPosts: 8

Sovrath said:

Oyjord said:

To that end, is the game supposed to have quests and story based content? Because if that isn't a "feature" then the reviewer had done a bit of an injustice to the game.

There are issues with the game, don't get me wrong but if the majority of the game is supposed to be enjoyed for its sandbox content then there really doesn't need to be a mention of "story based content".

From the kickstarter campaign:

"Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”."

And:

"Shroud of the Avatar is infused with rich storylines, deeply integrated into game play, developed by Best Selling Author Tracy Hickman and RPG legend Richard Garriott."

While they currently focus a lot on the sandbox aspects and want to implement a lot of the story rather at the end in my understanding, the way the game is built right now, it will be a very hard task to create an experience that feels similar to a typical singleplayer game.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Sovrath said:

Oyjord said:

From the kickstarter campaign:

"Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”."

And:

"Shroud of the Avatar is infused with rich storylines, deeply integrated into game play, developed by Best Selling Author Tracy Hickman and RPG legend Richard Garriott."

While they currently focus a lot on the sandbox aspects and want to implement a lot of the story rather at the end in my understanding, the way the game is built right now, it will be a very hard task to create an experience that feels similar to a typical singleplayer game.

hmmmm ok fair enough they have their work cut out for them.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited August 2016
    Author: I believe they will follow the marketing model of their novel.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/935/view/news/read/40116/Shroud-of-the-Avatar-TieIn-Novel-The-Sword-Of-Midras-Ready-For-PreOrder.html

I am sure thy will soon announce "Mantle of the Avatar" which will add additional Tracy Hickman quests or at least finish the ones in game now. Luckily it will probably be placed on sale for the exact same price as the original Shroud of the Avatar! That's right, buy the new version with extended and elaborated key elements of the storyline at the same basic price as the incomplete version! For those that already bought Shroud of the Avatar they will give you 1/2 of a broken heart keychain. (second half available in store for $49.99 and combining the two will activate a unique tear emote)
    MadFrenchie

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Finally! Information from someone who doesn't have their head up Richard's backside.

The score and review is pretty much what many of us have been saying before we were run out of the "community" by the pack of over-invested fanboys. If you didn't gush over the game and Portalarium, you were labeled a heretic.

Whatever happens to this game from here on is entirely their doing. If it's going to be painful, I hope it's really painful. Those people definitely need a taste of their own medcine. Who wants a karma cookie?
    Rawyn

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Oh look, game sucks. What a surprise. 

Go buy the complete Ultima VII collection on GOG.com or something instead. Then cry about just how far Garriott has fallen from that lofty plateau. Now he's nothing but a washed-up has-been trying desperately to make some more cash for his next trip to space before his name fades into obscurity once and for all. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I don't understand them wasting time on a single player experience.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  I also do not understand why they have small areas.  I have to wonder about Garriot's involvement.  Seems to me like the staff is really clueless about how sandboxes work.

Ozmodan said:

I don't understand them wasting time on a single player experience.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

$$$

I don't think people realize the sheer number of people who invested for single-player. Not every Ultima fan was a UO fan. If they break that Kickstarter promise, there's will be a shitstorm coming at them, guaranteed. Kickstarter doesn't protect you from failing to deliver.

Portalarium are the ones who backed themselves into a corner with their ridiculous promises and deceptive marketing tactics. Looks like they may be regretting it soon.

• DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Land grab rush before retail launch... Idiotic. Sorry, trying to think of a nice way to spin this. Can't.

These people developing this game are f***ing idiots.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I played SOTA and I tell you that after 6 hours I could no longer play it. First the game is clunky, now if I was a paid QA Tester I would be OK with that but not when I am paying to play the game. Second trying to break this game up into 4 different modes just kills this game. It was to be jack of all trades master of none. Third, people who spend tens of thousands of dollars will be catered to like no other and make it impossible for a person who just bought the game to be anymore than a low end crafter. So heavy P2W.

SOTA has good idea but they should redo the entire game with a new game engine. I would do an MMO and get away from the phasing into zones. Make it one large continuous work. I would also make the dam game P2P because Sandbox MMOs fail to bring in only a few thousand players when wallet wars get started.

I would also redo the crafting completely and go with gear that has a different range of stats and abilities based on what mats you used to make it.
  • angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I invested a grand total of $45 into SotA and got my money's worth within the first week and still enjoy playing around with it. Note that I say "playing around with" and not "playing". If you don't mind paying to explore the systems of an alpha-stage indy sandbox game, give it a try. I'm glad I did. But if you are looking for a game to play, this review from mmorpg.com is pretty much right on-target. Check back in six months.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    30 minutes in pre-pre-pre alpha was enough for me. It was so long ago, i forgot when i even tested this game. Nostalgia is fine, but not every aspect of it should be developed, including the UI.
  • GrimtuthGrimtuth Member UncommonPosts: 27
    My experience in sota has been very good. I had not pledged until the game became persistent.

I'm not sure why anyone is expecting and judging it as though it is a finished product. It isn't, and should only be looked at as a work underway. It is wonderfully rich, and leaves one with a sense of accomplishment, quite unlike other MMOs IMO.

I am an old school gamer and appreciate how many of the systems have been developed and implemented.

It has been a very long time since I have played a game that has me captivated.

The graphics are dated. The combat action is not the best in any sense of the term. However, neither of these concerns outweigh the fact that I find it's strengths greatly overshadow look and action. Besides, I am fully aware these are likely not yet complete.

It is an old school product that has not yet been impacted by the need to make everything simple for the player base. I believe there is a market for those looking for depth over ease, and will resonate with these players.

I'm having a blast, as are 3 of my co-workers.
    LeFantome
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Despite craving to play an mmorpg and being a longtime fan of UO, sandbox titles and the name, Richard Garriott, I have never been close to trying this game out. There has to be some sort of standards and this just seems far below all reasonable standards.
    Rawyn
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

SotA is an MMO being made on a shoestring budget.  There will be compromises.  If those don't fit what you prefer, go elsewhere.

They're trying to make a computer game with stone knives and bearskins......

Rawyn

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

SotA is an MMO being made on a shoestring budget.  There will be compromises.  If those don't fit what you prefer, go elsewhere.

They're trying to make a computer game with stone knives and bearskins......

Ah, you're from Austin, TX. I should have known. 

You guys really know how to circle the wagons when you're feeling threatened, yes?

I have a theory that the higher the pledge/investment, the closer to Portalarium the person lives. 

I'm going to have to get back in the forums and start mapping that out. 
    GdemamiRawyn

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its funny a few months ago people were listing these up and coming games saying what a great time it is going to be in this industry....Slowly, one by one, these games are falling apart and dont appear to be any better than what was already out there.....This is why many of us dont fall for the hype and dont scream "here take my hundred dollars" before these games are even released.