Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Buy to Play will be Dark & Light's Revenue Model

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBuy to Play or Pay to Play, That is the Question - Dark and Light News

UPDATE: Earlier today, we reported conflicting information about the nature of the Dark & Light revenue model. Snail Games sources had indicated both P2P (subscription) and B2P (one-time purchase). In response, the Dark & Light Facebook page has been updated with the news that the game will indeed be Buy to Play.

Yesterday we posted a comment stating that Dark and Light's payment model would be Pay to Play, implying that it would require a recurring subscription fee in order to play.

This statement was made in error; Dark and Light will officially release as a Buy to Play game, meaning you will pay once for the game with no recurring subscription fee.

We apologize for the confusion - more information about Dark and Light's release plans will be released in the near future.

Conflicting information about the Dark & Light revenue model has emerged. 2P.com has reported that Snail Games representatives tweeted that the game would be

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    B2P would be best. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    P2W until proven otherwise.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Hoping for buy to play. 
  • Kevan_fKevan_f Member UncommonPosts: 65
    any model is ok, except for p2w/f2p.
    f2p is the worst thing ever happened to gaming, imho.

don't care if b2p or monthly fee, the latter one if justified by a pretty good amount of new contents.
  • Dogmadude360Dogmadude360 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I personally would prefer P2P but I doubt enough people would pony up for it. And they would have to be ready for the player loss after initial launch and be predicting that at the steady level of income after 3-4 months. As for the confusion between the two, I could see how you could misconstrue it between team members on the acronyms. I don't know that the professionals in the industry even have a solid grasp of the community terms for pay models. Maybe pay to play to one guy means one time purchase, or buy to play from the other guy means sub model. They'll clear it up so, who cares really.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited August 2016
    Whether it's B2P with DLC packs as was quoted or not there will be additional monetization past it. An MMO demands more income than that to have a decent development schedule post-release. Hopefully whatever store they come up with is unobtrusive.

I'd prefer a sub to be that continual income, and would pay it, but I guess others can do it for me. ;)
    Post edited by Aelious on
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    There's only been 1 title in the past 5 years that was released (or re-released in its case) that is still p2p to my knowledge and that's FFXIV. P2P titles can't cut in today's market for the most part mainly because it depends on the company. SE has alot of stuff under its belt so it can afford to be p2p, but ESO/Wildstar/Tera/Rift/TSW (maybe some of those were more than 5 years), for the most part they didn't have anything note-worthy if at all to give people a reason to pay to play those games over something like WoW for large periods of time.

B2P is the most this game can push imo and even then it'll probably be f2p because I dont think anyone has ever heard of them. BDO is still b2p but honestly, how long do people think that will last for before f2p?
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    A game that was a horrible failure in the past revived by one of those notorious publishers...

Oh my expectations for this one are endless!
    Harbinger of Fools
  • hasho83hasho83 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Im not doing any not p2p games anymore! All the other b2p and f2p wanna be games can suck it,im tyred from those money grabers,releasing half made games.If that means to play WOW forever ill do it :/.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    edited August 2016
    atm is nothing , let see if they have a CBT or OBT ...a cool trailer means nothing to me
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: Earlier today, we reported conflicting information about the nature of the Dark & Light revenue model. Snail Games sources had indicated both P2P (subscription) and B2P (one-time purchase). In response, the Dark & Light Facebook page has been updated with the news that the game will indeed be Buy to Play.

Yesterday we posted a comment stating that Dark and Light's payment model would be Pay to Play, implying that it would require a recurring subscription fee in order to play.

This statement was made in error; Dark and Light will officially release as a Buy to Play game, meaning you will pay once for the game with no recurring subscription fee.

We apologize for the confusion - more information about Dark and Light's release plans will be released in the near future.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KroyMortlachKroyMortlach Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Everything else I use, I pay monthly for. I have no objections to paying monthly for any form of entertainment and MMOs are no different. The total cost of DLC is hiding monthly subscription cost in most cases anyways, but some folks have difficulty in P2P. Darkfall Online is still P2P and so is Eve Online. Subscription models fit sandbox games well. It avoids P2W accusations for a start.

Also, having "money grabbers" in the same sentence as "WoW" made me laugh ;-)
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Easy marketing decision.

P2P until it stops being reliable. Just like Elder Scrolls Online, big titles will have people buying it and get the following 30 days and then the marketers can probably count on a good many of them adding to their subscription the following month, maybe two, even three. Then when it really starts to deteriorate you remodel your payment model into B2P and then reach to a new consumer base with some added enticement methods to grab them.

It's how you make more bucks with relatively no significant drawbacks to note.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2016
    I got a bad feeling with this........... The DarkARchDesert online
    Now all we gotta do is wait and see how much each "pack" is.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    beta acces ''pack'' then B2P ( pay games ) then f2p with a heavy p2win cash shop
    calling it !!

for peoples who say b2p better that f2p... what the diffenrence ? you enjoy spend money on the game box ?? these games go f2p with cash shop anyway....
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited August 2016
    B2P at launch, with Cash Shop. Mainly cosmetic items in Cash Shop. Promises of "no P2W".

Then Cash Shop importance is increased a few months after launch. Promises of "no P2W" are reworded and "clarified", dev claims to have been "misunderstood" earlier.

Some time later, Cash Shop items begin to gain stats and undeniable advantages.

And so it continues...
  • KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104
    @MMORPG.com Are the forums for this game locked? It tells me I don't have permission to post when I try. I wanted to know if anyone has heard of a release date for this game?

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Might give it a try then.  B2p is my preferred payment model provided shop doesn't become too intrusive. 
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    B2P for 6 moth and free to play after ;P i got snail game i got 
  • cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Lol at people wanting B2P, look at BDO: B2P, with cash shop with premium items, an optional premium subscription and now the premium items and subsciptions are sellable in-game by players for in-game gold.

B2P = F2P + entrance premium price for being naive
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    they go b2p so they can wait 1-2 months before fix the f2p cash shop

when will people learn ??
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    50 cyber credits that it will be a hybrid.  People don't mind buying cosmetic stuff, so I don't see them passing it up.

I self identify as a monkey.

edited August 2016
    Dangit. I just realized Snail games was behind Black Gold Online, who tried to do b2p for like a week or something before becoming completely f2p....I'll wait. There's gonna be a lot of games to compete with for a while anyway so this will definitely go f2p.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Image result for heard it before

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/