Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I remember a time when the RP seemed almost too real...

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Almost like I was living within the game world rather than simply playing the game. Which game was this? It was SWG.

I was part of an Imperial Guild called (IBF) or "Imperial Strike Force". The guild leader Gen had actually split from a much larger guild on the Corbantis server known as (ATIF).  IBF became a sort of crude sister guild to the original even though ATIF was much more well known and respected on the server.

Still we were a rag-tag bunch that stuck together and played almost all day for 8+ hours at a time with each other. We started a small guildhouse on the outskirts of Theed, Naboo. But the rebel precense that began to emerge around us eventually caused us to flee the swamp-murks of the Naboo Outskirts and head to the red desert planet of Lok.

On Lok we traveled on Speeder Bikes (Which at this early stage of the game were still a serious luxury to find and afford), to the ends of the Lok desert, passing by hundreds of super high level mobs and encampments, until we found a small clearing beside a mountain range that was totally out of sight of the rest of the world. It was our future spot of our guild home, and although there was no full player cities yet, we knew when we had the chance we would build a Spaceport so we didnt have to travel and establish a militia. 

I was part of that future milita, although my guild leader was kind he didnt particularlly like my advancements in rank, and wanted me to head the local militia while he and others went on guild raids on Endor. 

Now I told him I didnt want to but he insisted and said I would eventually be rewarded, months came without another promotion, and finally one night when me and three guards were supposed to be patrolling the city in case of a rebel attack, I quit the guild, dropped my weapons that were given to me by the guild in the bank, and fled the city on my loaner speeder bike the guild leader had traded to me before he left.

A few minutes later I get a PM, and my leader is pissed, he asks why I abandonded them, and I gave him some lie that ATIF wanted me to join and offered me a big leadership spot. He was pissed, took it seirously, and told me to meet him with some of my new ATIF boys at the guild hall and we would duel.

Thing Is, I didnt have any buddies, my guild was my friends list, and now half of them were pissed cause I left. So instead, I contacted a friend offline that played a bounter Hunter and was working on Jedi. I told him I needed his help, and he hoped on to give me some back up.

So there I am a couple hours later (Even on the speeder bike it took forever to get to the town), Im speeding up to the entrance to the city, I see the notification that I do not have permission to be in the city and the militia will attack me after the timer runs out for me to peacefully leave.

I see Gen and the three guards I was with earlier all standing there, next to their speeder bikes. The leader approaches me and starts bitching at me in chat, telling me that I was a defector and that I gave up when the guild needed me the most. 

The Timer went off, one of the younger recruits didnt know any better and attacked. Then my friend the Bounty Hunter came in from the back way of the road and jumped off, the other wo started firing at him now. 

I end up killing the guy who shot me, and my former leader is now atop the stairs to the Guild Hall, and firing at me with his heavy Rifle. I close the range with my pistoleer skill and knock him back. But my character is going to die, I dont have enough time to run and kill him.

So I did the next best thing, I went over to his Speeder Bike that was still out, and Blasted it to hell. Then my bounter hunter friend, also nearing death, blasted the otheer two guys  speeders as well. Eventually they overtook us, and we respawned at a nearby camp.

We were both laughing in chat and freaking out at how crazy the right was, when the leader messages me and goes "Touche".

The RP just seemed too real, You dont get things like that in MMO's anymore :)

Comments

• BenjarroBenjarro Member Posts: 206
    And then came CU and NGE and it was all flushed down the toilet....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Good story, and no, they don't make them like that anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MauerickMauerick Member UncommonPosts: 8
    This makes me a little sad that I wasn't playing MMOs when they were made like this. I missed out on all the good sandbox games it seems like.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Star Wars Galaxies was the only game where I could log on, sit in the starport for 30 minutes, and never think I was wasting my time.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Great story.  I'd never survive it.  Way too much conflict for my capabilities.  I'd be off in a corner herding my nerfs.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    @Beatnik59 Thanks for rezzing this old post outa nowhere. I love discussing old MMO tales, its sadly more fun to recant my old adventures in SWG than real life :pleased: 
  • generator877generator877 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Sludge beard, gotta message me.  I'm from that guild in that post!  Holy cow. 
  • TeilaTeila Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Wow, memories. I was recently digging up some information on SWG to write a blog post about procedural generation in games. Then I see this...seems like fate. :)

SWG had such great potential, especially for roleplayers. I was a dancer, started my own band, put on opera shows, was hired for parties, and made lots of money. For a time, our band was famous! What a thrill. Where else can you do that?