Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers Taken Down to Roll Back to Pre-Update Status

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageServers Taken Down to Roll Back to Pre-Update Status

Guild Wars 2 News - If you haven't played Guild Wars 2 today and aren't planning to log in until tonight, you won't notice anything different. However, those who played in the hours just after the latest GW2 udpate went live will have any progress gained during their game session rolled back after a seriuos bug without any solution presented itself.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Must be a major problem; this is the first time in years they have ever been down this long over a game bug.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The whole MMO down for this long yeah, something clearly got messed up.

It's the first time i also hear of a rollback on GW2 as well. O_o
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Maybe ANet have been cutting corners on tech support to keep costs down. Their results on NCSoft's last earnings report are looking pretty dire...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    And during their Gem Store anniversary sale. That sucks.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Maybe ANet have been cutting corners on tech support to keep costs down. Their results on NCSoft's last earnings report are looking pretty dire...
    It's not from today that a thing they clearly had cut on was QA.

The game is big enough so when un-tested it's frequent they breaking the game, specially the story almost every patch.
  • mutsetmutset Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I think it's the right time now to do a real big update, adding many new things and new characters
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Can a software engineer please talk about careless companies doing bad patch deployments and how this isn't "sh!t happens" more like "diarrhea happened... and you didn't make it to the restroom in time, so you're washing your pants in the sink and drying them under the blower"?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I'm glad I played Wildstar all day by coincedence so all that was wiped on GW2 was my daily.

The new basketball game is fun btw even though it needs a ton of improvements.

-Ball too small you can barely see where it is
    -Related to the point above; no markers on who is holding the ball
    -Both sides look identical, if you turn around too much you won't be sure anymore which side to attack
    -Adding to the above, I was in Team Blue and whenever we scored team Red's score would rise
    (But my team which had gained more negative points like this was declared the winner in the end)
    -Bugs like laggy animations / wrong positions shown / multiple balls spawning at the same time

Despite all that I can see the potential in this new mini game.
    And still there is no excuse for the horrible shape they released it in and even less for the rollback.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Log-in servers down too, so I wonder if DDOS is going on, just like what happened with Blizzard today??
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    As a systems administrator I've come to learn that patches break things.  In fact, I've had official patches break things more often than just about anything else in the industry.  I perform weekly full backups of my virtual machines and physical machines and I snapshot all of my VM's before applying patches.

Just this year I've had to roll back my servers twice due to a developer screw up.  But hey, military software is written by the lowest bidder so I have to take extra precautions.

I hate it when it happens, but this is just part of maintaining systems.  I'm honestly surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often in this industry.
  • gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    This is no surprise to me I have been saying for years that they are a pack of imbeciles.
    gw2fool said:
    This is no surprise to me I have been saying for years that they are a pack of imbeciles.
    So you have been saying it for years and now after the game is about to turn 4 years old they screwed up in a patch.

The long wait is over. Your moment has finally come!
    Harbinger of Fools
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Since gw2 is down alot of people have flooded back to gw1 until it's back up again. Feels great getting back into the game after all these years away.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

DMKano said:

It's a bad patch, missed by QA it happens.

This is why the standard patch upgrade for MMOs goes like this:

1. Bring the game down

2. Do a database backup

3. Roll the server patch

4. Update CDNs with client patch

See that step #2 - yeah those database backups are KEY in doing a rollback when you have a bad patch as you can go back to the good character data state when the servers got brought down before the patch update.

GW2 figured out how to skip setp 1. That is what impressed me the most about them.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

filmoret said:

DMKano said:

1. Bring the game down

2. Do a database backup

3. Roll the server patch

See that step #2 - yeah those database backups are KEY in doing a rollback when you have a bad patch as you can go back to the good character data state when the servers got brought down before the patch update.

GW2 figured out how to skip setp 1. That is what impressed me the most about them.

They figured that out for GW1 actually. GW1 (and GW2 had very few server down events, they were caused by server moves, network security changes and now bug in patches that require a rollback to fix.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

DMKano said:

1. Bring the game down

2. Do a database backup

3. Roll the server patch

Most companies have opted to not have double the server capacity to have this feature.

And not taking the servers down while applying the patch results in the rollback situation we see here, when the patch is bad.

If a bad patch is applied to a live server, there's no way to do a pre-check before allowing players back into to server. That pre-check is not a guarantee that the problem will be caught, but it certainly allows for that opportunity.
    That pre-check is not a guarantee that the problem will be caught, but it certainly allows for that opportunity.
    That check wouldn't have worked for what happened here.
    Harbinger of Fools
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

DMKano said:

1. Bring the game down

2. Do a database backup

3. Roll the server patch

Most companies have opted to not have double the server capacity to have this feature.

And not taking the servers down while applying the patch results in the rollback situation we see here, when the patch is bad.

If a bad patch is applied to a live server, there's no way to do a pre-check before allowing players back into to server. That pre-check is not a guarantee that the problem will be caught, but it certainly allows for that opportunity.
    They do pre checks on the test server which is a duplicate of the live server.  If it is like DKmano said then they keep character files on one server and seamlessly move them to active servers.  Which makes sense considering they have always allowed players to visit other servers with just a click of a button.
    Or they could do what everyone else does and bring the servers down for 5 hours once a week just to prevent a downtime of 8 hours once every 4 years.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    No one pulls servers down once a week, now you are just telling stories.
    Thupli said:
    No one pulls servers down once a week, now you are just telling stories.
    3 years ago everyone did it.  Except for GW2 that is.  Some of them do bi-weekly and the better ones only do monthly.  It is mainly to reset the servers and clean everything up.
  • toidimaettoidimaet Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I find it amazing that after one roll back, Arenanet are stupid imbeciles with garbage QA who couldn't run a p**s up in a brewery.
    The internet can be a very fickle place sometimes.