Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player owned Homesteads

NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
edited August 2016 in Star Citizen
Chris Roberts made a comment about the future and player owned Homesteads in the Gamescom 2016 Presentation.  I've noticed that most people missed it or couldn't reference where this was said, so I thought I would link it for any interested in hearing.

Personally I'm hoping for player cities all over the galaxy sometime in the next 8 years.  It would be worth the wait, but like all things Star Citizen - It's very easy to get excited about the possibility.

Enjoy.

It's at 1 hour and 29 minutes.

Star Citizen: Full Gamescom 2016 Presentation

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2016
    This is interesting because it was put for after-launch. And who knows if it still is, wasn't at all specified.

But it certainly adds a gameplay layer and logic to PG Planets the ability to own or rent some sort of buildings, bases, factories, etc... More competition between players and Organizations and possibly motivating PvP,

Though due the instanced ways of Star Citizen i wouldn't know if a player can own the *physical* space. Thinking of it lightly now idk how it could work.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I missed that.

Housing, in any game, isn't something that excites me and i do not invest time in it. For example in SW TOR my strongholds are empty with nothing inside bar a legacy storage container.

Personally i would prefer some other feature in place of homesteads.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Maybe people glossed over it because they are still waiting for all the other things he said to happen.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited August 2016
    Shodanas said:
    I missed that.

Housing, in any game, isn't something that excites me and i do not invest time in it. For example in SW TOR my strongholds are empty with nothing inside bar a legacy storage container.

Personally i would prefer some other feature in place of homesteads.
    Ahh, but what if homesteads could be raided by you as a pirate?  I'm just brain storming here but maybe if in a protected solar system homesteads are safe from attack.  Perhaps on remote planets they can be attacked..and looted for parts, etc.

The thought of players building out a massive amount of things on these planets and populating the universe is appealing to me and could offer lots of game play layers beyond simple player housing.

I don't know what the reality will be of course, but once again the potential does fire up the imagination.
    Ahh, but what if homesteads could be raided by you as a pirate?  I'm just brain storming here but maybe if in a protected solar system homesteads are safe from attack.  
    The way the whole thing is set to be persistent sure, opens that possibility. The thing i see that goes against this is the instances, what if there are 2 instances open of the same planet? Would it show the same player-owned building on it? Unless they manage bigger instances for this and just work via overflows.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Our ships are our homesteads. I spit on stationary housing...well,I would, but taking my helmet off would prolly kill me

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

edited August 2016
    spankybus said:
    Our ships are our homesteads. I spit on stationary housing...well,I would, but taking my helmet off would prolly kill me
    Hey the ability to setup or just own one factory on a planet would be interesting, specially on organizations of players could represent one impact on economy. Or at least investing said factory. So the potential there can be pretty amazing if we're talking about owning or impacting buildings that have a meaning.

In that case it wouldn't be that typical Own Shiny House, place some chairs and tables kind of housing haha xD
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    This game is going to have everything.  I can't wait till I get paid this week so I can buy another ship.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

rpmcmurphy said:
    snip
    Then that settles it, owning structures on the planets is still on the post-launch plans. As when i heard about this that was always put on the "far future" plans.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    snip
    Then that settles it, owning structures on the planets is still on the post-launch plans. As when i heard about this that was always put on the "far future" plans.
    Player conquerable "Gold Horizon" stations (the Star Marine map) was always named as one of the first ownable places. And it can change hands.

Player hangars  that you can decorate and that your friends can visit is a second thing. And no, people so far cannot steal anything from it.

Player owned factories or plots of land on planets/moons has been mentioned. But not as something that will be there at launch.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    snip

I think it would be prudent to say 'possibly in the future' rather than 'in the future', that's what Skelton is getting at after all.
    rpmcmurphy said:
    I think it would be prudent to say 'possibly in the future' rather than 'in the future', that's what Skelton is getting at after all.
    On pretty much all Q&A's he done he talks about the "far future" for several things, usually is first X feature will be like this and on the far future we will do Y and Z, the possibility of that future opens to before or after the release of the game. It's mostly an sea of possibilities and plans that might or might not happen.

Though every time the possibility or the plan is even mentioned i see people taking it as the feature has been confirmed for the game.