Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO reveals that cosmetic item "gambling boxes" are coming soon.

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    kolpo said:
    I'm not a legal expert but Isn't online gambling forbidden in several countries? Would this violate those laws?
    Well, that's a problematic area, since what games are doing isn't really falling into the traditional definition of gambling. 

In in traditional gambling you place a bet and you have a chance to "win" more than you wagered. However, there are only two states of winning and losing: win more than you wagered based on odds or losing your wager.

With RNG boxes, you don't completely lose your investment like you would with a horse race or a lottery. You always get something. Whether or not you think that something is worth what you paid for it is irrelevant. That's a personal opinion that's going to be different for each player.

Seems to me that it's just another example of entitled players expecting the best item every time they open a box. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Gdemami said:
    Always amazing to watch people rage against things they have no intention to buy or in any way participate in...

LoL.....public forum.......define it's purpose as you will, but it pretty much speaks for itself.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm certainly not a fan of the addition. I do consider it gambling. Years ago I caught flack for calling out GW2 for the same thing. I don't believe gambling should be apart of games that kids play. 

That being said, outside the obvious issues with gambling I believe the addition as is, is completely harmless.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    why add something to the cash shop for lest say 20$ when u can create rng box for that item that cost 7$ and drops 1 every 10 ?
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    Just as ESO was starting to look good they go and do this !!1! Gambling should never be encouraged in any way or form.
    but killing is ok?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Kyleran said:
    Get used to it.

Maximizing revenue and profits is the goal of every business, and MMOS are most definitely a business first and foremost.

Take a hard look at how BDO is doing it, expect many if not all games to employ several (not necessarily all) of the monetization strategies that title does.

Get used to it or put up a fight, which do you think is in the better interest of gamers in the long run?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I cant imagine how much some whales spend on "gambling" for certain items....I remember eharing stories in Atlantica online of people spending hundreds of dollars trying to get certain items.
    Warlyx said:
    why add something to the cash shop for lest say 20$ when u can create rng box for that item that cost 7$ and drops 1 every 10 ?
    I suspect you could put an elite mount on the cash shop for $25 and RNG boxes with a chance of getting the mount for $5 and people would still buy the boxes and complain they were ripped off. 

I think we know what we're really dealing with here...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:

Hint - I never said wrong.

What it was, was dismissive and hypocritical since you yourself are never shy about commenting on how companies do things when it's something that interests you.

I could find you hundreds of examples but why bother? We all know you do it just like everyone else around here.

We get that this in ESO is not something that interests you and we get that you are on the extreme side of rooting for anything a company does to monetize its games. It's you going all school-marmy on those who do care and do have an opinion about this that I find hypocritical in the extreme.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    In its purest form it's when you bet money in the hope of getting more than you bet in return if you win.
    That also include raffle, lottery, bingo or any game that involves money or betting in general.

There is no reason why gambling in any form should be forbidden. You cannot, and shouldn't, protect people from being stupid and/or irresponsible with their money.
    Society disagrees about "no control at all". Most (all?) countries have laws pertaining to gambling. 

And the reason is simple: there is an established link between gambling and crime. Forget people being allowed to do what they want. People who become addicted to gambling are more likely to break the law if they need money. Same deal with many other addictions. Thereby harming others. And possibly pushing up taxes due to increased policing costs and so on.

So its a fine line; sometimes a very fine line. Smoking, drinking, drugs etc. all in the same boat. Which is why this type of "activity" within games is under scrutiny.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited August 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Get used to it.

Maximizing revenue and profits is the goal of every business, and MMOS are most definitely a business first and foremost.

Take a hard look at how BDO is doing it, expect many if not all games to employ several (not necessarily all) of the monetization strategies that title does.
    How is BDO doing?  Population-wise and customer satisfaction-wise, I'd say not all that great.

They've made some quick bucks with the change, but I really don't think pissing off customers for quick bucks is ever a solid business plan.

I hardly think what Kakao has done with BDO is going to set any trends.  Except maybe to show just how much you can really mess up and still make some money with video games, if the game is decent.

A far more successful game like Overwatch is more likely to set trends.

Anyway, these business 101 words of wisdom from you guys is getting old.  Yeah, businesses exist to make money.  This is not news.

Nor is it news that you can make money by screwing customers.

It's not some brave new world where that's the only or best way to run a business, anymore than it ever was.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited August 2016

Gdemami said:
    Always amazing to watch people rage against things they have no intention to buy or in any way participate in...

Your missing the base point of the rage against the RNG box in the first place but that's okay.  

Its kind of like saying I don't care that X isnt available in game without paying cash because I dont like need or want X. Wait until Y ( something you want ) is only available in the cash shop instead of earnable in the game and the next item and the next item.

Try thinking ahead a little bit and it starts to make more sense.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited August 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    In its purest form it's when you bet money in the hope of getting more than you bet in return if you win.
    That also include raffle, lottery, bingo or any game that involves money or betting in general.

There is no reason why gambling in any form should be forbidden. You cannot, and shouldn't, protect people from being stupid and/or irresponsible with their money.
    No not at all.

Heck these people who are irresponsible with their money cost society nothing. Not like I don't have to support their children and themselves within the welfare system.

Not to mention the staggering costs that addiction of all kinds (gambling included) has to society in the form of crime (robberies murders)

no no reasons at all

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Meh. Why would I bother? I don't gamble in real life (except for occasionally the mega millions or powerball if it's running high), gambling for cosmetic items in an mmo seems ridiculous. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    goboygo said:
    Your missing the base point of the rage against the RNG box in the first place but that's okay.  

Its kind of like saying I don't care that X isnt available in game without paying cash because I dont like need or want X. Wait until Y ( something you want ) is only available in the cash shop instead of earnable in the game and the next item and the next item.

Try thinking ahead a little bit and it starts to make more sense.
    How dare they ask money for something you want! That's outrageous!

Yeah, only allowed items in cash shop are items no one ever have desire to purchase.

You can't be serious...
    laserit said:
    No not at all.

Heck these people who are irresponsible with their money cost society nothing. Not like I don't have to support their children and themselves within the welfare system.

Not to mention the staggering costs that addiction of all kinds (gambling included) has to society in the form of crime (robberies murders)

no no reasons at all
    The problem is walfare system, not gambling.

You know, walfare system that shares the same kind of thinking behind an idea that we should "protect people from themselves"...
    coretex666 said:
    that they should keep their mouth shut when it comes to things they do not have control over.
    This is just purely your own insertion. He never said anything like that.

He only said that complaining about how company is running their business is moot...and I would even add that it is very rude.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    I have to post my support for these. I know they earn income for the game and I want the game to be around for a very long time.

1. The items from the boxes cannot be sold for in game gold, and they don't break the economy.
    2. If you get something you don't want from a box you can trade it for a new type of currency and then use that currency to buy an item which you do want.
    2. The boxes include cosmetic items which don't provide additional power for players that would interfere with gameplay progression.

Particularly with housing coming (and the addition of some housing items in these boxes), this could be a great way for ESO to earn additional income.  It will also give me something on which to spend my extra crowns from my subscription which has been missing.

I have faith that ZOS will execute this with class, just like they did with the Crown Store.  Their Crown Store is the most ethical and well done cash shop in any MMO in my opinion.

On the day it launched, the potions offered in the Store were more powerful than player crafted potions.  As this was contrary to their philosophy, I posted on the forums about this and the potions were immediately removed from the Crown Store and were gone for several days until they could be fixed to be less powerful than crafted potions.

This is why I expect they will keep their word on cosmetic only items.  They have a great track record.

Good business move on the part of the ESO team and I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't impact gameplay.

edited August 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    Society disagrees about "no control at all". Most (all?) countries have laws pertaining to gambling.
    And the reason is simple: there is an established link between gambling and crime.
    Not at all.

Like you said, there is a "fine line". The reason behind the line is just politics, there are no practical reasons. Should I remind you prohibition? See how that works?

Where is money, there is crime - always was and always will be.

But people like to hear such pompous rhetoric, that is how you get votes...
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    I HATE gambling boxes! :(
    Zzad said:
    I HATE gambling boxes! :(

Then don't buy them.

• MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Like I said I could careless about the boxes. My problem is the bugs and lag they either can't fix or care more about the crown store. 

I just wish as consumers and more importantly gamers would for 1 month just say no more bs and not buy a single thing from the store. It would send a direct shot to the heart of the game and maybe finally wake up the business they can't ignore the problems like they keep doing on the forums.

For the few that will say it could end up closing the game. If they keep ignoring the problems it will close sooner or later. Gamers won't keep putting up with it for long. More so on the pvp side. Just fix the darn game.  
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited August 2016
    Marelius said:
    Like I said I could careless about the boxes. My problem is the bugs and lag they either can't fix or care more about the crown store. 

I just wish as consumers and more importantly gamers would for 1 month just say no more bs and not buy a single thing from the store. It would send a direct shot to the heart of the game and maybe finally wake up the business they can't ignore the problems like they keep doing on the forums.

For the few that will say it could end up closing the game. If they keep ignoring the problems it will close sooner or later. Gamers won't keep putting up with it for long. More so on the pvp side. Just fix the darn game.  
    Just to note, there is no DLC with the next update.  It's all base game updates and one of the reasons they chose not to do DLC was to focus on bug fixes along with the changes to the base game.  I think this was a good call and I expect it will continue to address the issues with pvp, etc.

The Differently Geared 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited August 2016
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

And the problem with this is.... what exactly?

Here again we have a case of a business (Zenimax) doing what businesses do  - aka come up with ways to make money and keep their products profitable.

Consumers (players) - have 2 options - play or don't, buy or don't - it's very clear cut.

For some reason players get confused and think that they are business owners and somehow should have direct input on regulating pricing of products that they didn't create nor have had any input on whatsoever, because they are NOT part of Zenimax.

What's strange is how this keeps happening over and over, players get confused over who they are - just consumers.

So... in your worldview when "just consumers" have opinions about how a company behaves, makes its money, what they should or shouldn't sell... that's just because they're deluding themselves? Interesting perspective.

Consumers have opinions about stuff and the internet gives them a forum to express what those are. Some people think this is inherently wrong. Some think it's the beginning of a slippery slope. Some think that it's a tacky way to make money. Some even like it... and they're all expressing their views. What is the problem with THAT exactly?

Having opinion on what to do as a consumer is fine:

Example: I don't like what Zenimax is doing, so I won't be purchasing these boxes.

Having an opinion on what a COMPANY that you are not a part of should do  and how they should run their business is delusional:

Example: Zenimax is greedy and shouldn't sell these boxes

Do you see the difference - opinion on things that are in your control is fine, opinion on stuff that is NOT in your control is pointless.

What Zenimax does is their own business - they have the right to run their own company how they want

Another example of opinion that is based on delusion of having control: 

The universe should stop this this expansion and acceleration because it's bad for everyone. The universe is self-destructive and uncaring of others.

Bottom line - there is an opinion that's valid as it has to do with an actionable item within your control.

And then there's opinions that are beyond your control and serve no purpose whatsoever, the problem remains that people think they need to have an opinion on everything - I think the popularity of social media is a big part of this.
    Then everyone here is delusional, yourself included, really as everything here is just opinions and people expressing them. That includes your opinion which by your own arguments is equally delusional.

I mean what do you think that your opinion on other peoples opinions is somehow "better", classier or less delusional?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Marelius said:

Just to note, there is no DLC with the next update.  It's all base game updates and one of the reasons they chose not to do DLC was to focus on bug fixes along with the changes to the base game.  I think this was a good call and I expect it will continue to address the issues with pvp, etc.
    Heard this a number of times, in beta and after live. They would give us a patch and nothing was fixed. Next patch back to do what they do. They have to start fixing faster after this long, a lot of players have just given up on them. The game has the potential to be great but only way that may happen is for changes at the top. 

Let's hope this patch does fix a lot and make lag even less of a problem and pvp to be a little better balanced (but I admit pvp in any game is hard to balance). 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel