Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Refreshing idea

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Turn off the free to play crap, its getting old...........Just look at Back Desert Online current state.

Make the game harder and back to it's roots.   Many will come back, I know I'll play :)

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    No matter how many times Ive pressed F5, the idea doesnt seem to be refreshing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    The game will die if it turned away from F2P.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Just what F2p parts don't you like?  

I started as a subscriber and then transitioned to a F2p (Preminum) player and don't really see any difference.

Yes it used to be harder, but calls for that to change were happening even before it went F2p.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    The game would have died a long time ago had it not gone F2P.

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    They screwed up by selling lifetime subscriptions.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Xarko said:
    No matter how many times Ive pressed F5, the idea doesnt seem to be refreshing.
    Oh, you... you :lol:  Awesome reply.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

As it stands now about 10 players playing the game, and as always Po-gg is the leader of it all.

Well, that's not entirely true, about every two months someone here ask questions, probably because its free :) 

How could I be the leader, i was the last posting... :lol:  and wasn't even in LotRO since the festival ended.

I definitely will go back for the games they've just tweeted about officially (https://youtu.be/CshlMkNQpRA ) it used to be fun. Last year I almost reached the podium in Fire run, and had a couple nice jumps at the Spike Jump too.

(sidenote, the Games are organised by the folks who used to hold dwarrow classes in-game, and on the channel there's a couple neo-khuzdul lessons too)
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    The F2P is the best model I have seen.  I buy what I want content wise and play at my own pace.  I keep going back.  The only thing that concerns me is that there likely won't be much future development etc.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I been playing it for years and it's still fun. The updates they put in are awesome, the bloom has made the game look even better. Granted there is a little lag at times but am sure they are still working to clear that up. Just something special about the game and the community!
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Turn off the free to play crap, its getting old...........Just look at Back Desert Online current state.

Make the game harder and back to it's roots.   Many will come back, I know I'll play :)

The best part about Free to Play: Your free to not play as well.
  • SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    They screwed up by selling lifetime subscriptions.
    I purchased the Lifetime at Beta/Launch.  What a great decision that turned out to be :)
  • BartrumBartrum Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I too have a lifetime subscription and  play daily.  Middle Earth is a lovely place to inhabit.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I have a life time sub and been playing since 2008.  Love the game.  One of the best communities in any MMO.

I agree. I always heard great things about the community but until I took the game serious and really started getting into it I found it to be one of the best communities I have seen in an MMO.
    Yep, I too used to keep sayin' it :wink:  (and TSW is a very close second, if you want to check an another nice bunch)

Btw, roll a character on Laurelin and come for the Games. Team Hobbit was a bit behind last time, maybe this year we'll win more medals :wink:  http://harnkeggergames.simplesite.com/
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Actually imo Turbine do a good f2p over most other game publishers.

imageimage

• Kevan_fKevan_f Member UncommonPosts: 65
    my issues with the game are not much about pay model...but bad graphics (too updated), clunky gameplay (too old, combat is slow and repetitive, fetch quest type) and low populations

Yet with several nice testimonial's here the population is very low.  Mostly because no one wants to play it because of the cash shop.

Actually, I was expecting even more favorable response's than this ! 

So many would enjoy a good classic.............Get rid of the F2P, it's getting old, people are finally getting tired of it. 

• Kevan_fKevan_f Member UncommonPosts: 65

Yet with several nice testimonial's here the population is very low.  Mostly because no one wants to play it because of the cash shop.

Well, ofc population is not healtthy. but dont' know if it's because of cash shop...or because the game is OLD.
    so old and clunky that middle earth franchise is no more enough to cater a large audience.

yep, turbine added some content in lore quests and maps...but it's a matter of gameplay.
    it's the bad part of the game...that makes it suitable for retrogamers or tolkien fans only...and not for the average player.

it needs a full revamp and upgrade..but it would be a brand new game, not lotro anymore.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm not in the anti-LotRO-payment-model camp.  I actually like the concept behind it -- earning TP in game to supplement cash.  I might disagree with the amounts awarded (5 TP isn't going to buy anything in the shop -- even the Riding skill is 75 TPs.  That's 15 base level achievements to earn the Riding skill.  I'd suggest a reward of 10-12 TP might be more in line.)

But the F2P model Turbine employs isn't a problem.  Neither are the dated graphics.  The bigger issue is how the game evolved.  For long periods, the level cap was relatively static; expansions were few and far between.  If the cap was still 45, or 60, the game would be about the right length.  As it is now, the content takes too long to progress from 45 to 105.  The game is just too sluggish, too repetitive to play through.  It's a long slog through alarmingly-similar orc-infested countries that is going to take a very long time.  A newer game with similar size and scope wouldn't bog down as much.

With Sept 2017 as a possible drop-dead date for the game, I doubt I'll ever get any of my characters past 75, unless I break down and buy one of the Advance To Level 95, Do Not Pass GO!  Do Not Collect $200! offers.  I hate that kind of thing, and I'd probably hate myself in the morning if I did that.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited August 2016
    Mendel said:
    I'm not in the anti-LotRO-payment-model camp.  I actually like the concept behind it -- earning TP in game to supplement cash.  I might disagree with the amounts awarded (5 TP isn't going to buy anything in the shop -- even the Riding skill is 75 TPs.  That's 15 base level achievements to earn the Riding skill.  I'd suggest a reward of 10-12 TP might be more in line.)

But the F2P model Turbine employs isn't a problem.  Neither are the dated graphics.  The bigger issue is how the game evolved.  For long periods, the level cap was relatively static; expansions were few and far between.  If the cap was still 45, or 60, the game would be about the right length.  As it is now, the content takes too long to progress from 45 to 105.  The game is just too sluggish, too repetitive to play through.  It's a long slog through alarmingly-similar orc-infested countries that is going to take a very long time.  A newer game with similar size and scope wouldn't bog down as much.

With Sept 2017 as a possible drop-dead date for the game, I doubt I'll ever get any of my characters past 75, unless I break down and buy one of the Advance To Level 95, Do Not Pass GO!  Do Not Collect $200! offers.  I hate that kind of thing, and I'd probably hate myself in the morning if I did that.

Your not anti-LotRO-payment-model comp.

Thousands and thousands are, and they would love to play this classic for real.  Not just passing through.

Free to play is definitely getting old on everyone.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The thing about this game was it wasn't doing that great. Neither was DDO. Turbine didn't know what else to do other than to try to employee F2P on DDO back in the day and it made that games population BOOM. It was insane. I remember trying it when it first went F2P and more people were playing that then had ever been playing it any other time I had played it, it probably had a lot to do with it being one of the first games ever to go P2P to F2P. I'm sure them seeing that made them realize how well their games could be doing as F2P. LOTRO didn't have a very big population back during the F2P conversion, and after it the game was doing super good. It still has quite a few people playing. Last time I played I had the most helpful community ever telling me things through whispers when I asked questions in chat. I had like 5 or 6 people attempting to help me with whatever issue I had each time I asked a question. It was weird compared to the anti social nature of most of the MMORPG's now a days. I'm glad it went F2P. Sure there are things in the shop that cost a lot, but it isn't that hard to go without them.
    The thing about this game was it wasn't doing that great. Neither was DDO. Turbine didn't know what else to do other than to try to employee F2P on DDO back in the day and it made that games population BOOM. It was insane. I remember trying it when it first went F2P and more people were playing that then had ever been playing it any other time I had played it, it probably had a lot to do with it being one of the first games ever to go P2P to F2P. I'm sure them seeing that made them realize how well their games could be doing as F2P. LOTRO didn't have a very big population back during the F2P conversion, and after it the game was doing super good. It still has quite a few people playing. Last time I played I had the most helpful community ever telling me things through whispers when I asked questions in chat. I had like 5 or 6 people attempting to help me with whatever issue I had each time I asked a question. It was weird compared to the anti social nature of most of the MMORPG's now a days. I'm glad it went F2P. Sure there are things in the shop that cost a lot, but it isn't that hard to go without them.

Ok, I know all this, we all know this.

" The game would have faded away if it didn't go F2P "

But times are changing.  How are they changing ?....MMOs are dying off.  F2P has ran its gambit. Viewing the entire market, everyone is starting to see f2P is a trick.

If LOTRO stays as is, 10 people in 10 people out, it's a guaranteed fail.  

Everquest 2, Daybreak games, Sony, They played a marketing trick on people, they advertised a Vanilla server.  Well, it was big news but in the end it was a trick.  It's wasn't vanilla, it really had all the new stuff complete with easy play and a cash shop, with just a hint of going back to the original game.  It was a marketing stunt that lasted about one month and players were gone ! more credibility lost.

The point is it was big news, people were ready to play !

We need an even playing field. One can't have a mount and others don't, One cant have more bag space and the other can't. One can be able to enter one zone and another cant.........This doesn't work.

EVERYONE knows don't even try.