Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Ready Gaming Notebooks Will Start at $1,300 with NVIDIA 10-Series GPUs

2»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    SEANMCAD said:
    1060m is not min. gtx970 is
    gtx 970 =/= gtx 970m

If you're talking about laptops, the minimum is higher.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    Minimum Spec usually sucks.
    i want to make sure I understand this. 

are we still debating that the title of the article is wrong?
    Play anything with minimal spec hardware whether it be VR or not VR,  it usually sucks, unless one enjoys slide shows.
    let me ask again

Title Smitle

If you have a game and it says the minimum spec is a gtx-970, gtx-1060, gtx-1080 or a gtx-whatthe fuckever. The game will most likely play like crap within that minimum spec.

IMHO recommended spec is the minimum to get a satisfactory acceptable game experience. Your milage may very.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Maybe you need to ask it louder.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Play anything with minimal spec hardware whether it be VR or not VR,  it usually sucks, unless one enjoys slide shows.
    let me ask again

Title Smitle

If you have a game and it says the minimum spec is a gtx-970, gtx-1060, gtx-1080 or a gtx-whatthe fuckever. The game will most likely play like crap within that minimum spec.

IMHO recommended spec is the minimum to get a satisfactory acceptable game experience. Your milage may very.
    I am taking that as a yes to my question.

again 1060m is > GTX 970 GTX970 is the min. 1060m is not the min.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

let me ask again

Title Smitle

I am taking that as a yes to my question.

again 1060m is > GTX 970 GTX970 is the min. 1060m is not the min.
    And laptops don't use the GTX 970 (unless you're using the Razer Core so it'd be an external plugin).

They use the GTX 970m, which performs worse than the GTX 970 and consequently forces their minimum specs for laptops to shift to a higher GPU in the m line. 1060m in that context actually would be the minimum hardware requirement for the m cards and consequently for laptops.

Technically, the GTX 980 is the minimum listed there, and that's only for a subset of laptops that are built with desktop GPUs.

Nvidia's own statement from their VR requirements page.
    "GeForce GTX 970M and 980M do not meet the minimum requirements"

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2016
    laserit said:
    Thats actually misleading on your part. What exactly "minimum" on random PC game means?

VR ha specific minimum requirements and guaranteed minimum performace that has to be achieved, similar to consoles.

Due to prohibitive pricing on VR they WILL make that good experience or they will fail its that simple. The key to VR adoption is expanding TAM, without broad TAM they can quit without trying.
    Post edited by Malabooga on
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    notebooks?

Now, if i were to design a system for vr it would be the smallest possible "box" with the most potential graphical and processing power allowed for its size. Lets think something the size of a PlayStation.

A portable gaming platform.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Nitth said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    notebooks?

Now, if i were to design a system for vr it would be the smallest possible "box" with the most potential graphical and processing power allowed for its size. Lets think something the size of a PlayStation.

I would agree - if it's intended for VR, why does it need a LCD screen?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Ridelynn said:
    Nitth said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    notebooks?

Even a gaming desktop intended for VR needs a monitor other than the headset.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I'll be honest, I have little to no interest in VR. Because it isn't VR. The only time we are going to get true VR is when we get holodecks like star trek. Everything else is a pale imitation at best. Even the best VR is not going to allow total 3D interaction with every component of the game world. Can I bend down and pick up a rock from the ground all while seeing every tiny movement? Probably not. Can I pick up a glass and drink from it? Can I sit anywhere I want properly (no kneeling unless I choose to but crossed legs, crossed at the knees, hands on the hand rests of the chairs)? Extremely doubtful. It's just another gimmick until the next gimmick comes along. 
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Nitth said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    notebooks?

I was being facetious but I do suppose there isn't a tag to indicate that.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Nitth said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    notebooks?

I was being facetious but I do suppose there isn't a tag to indicate that.
    </sarcasm>
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I won't be buying them. They are like everything else, a fad. There is no such thing as real VR until we have something like star trek holodecks where we can do anything we want. 
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited August 2016
    Moirae said:
    I won't be buying them. They are like everything else, a fad. There is no such thing as real VR until we have something like star trek holodecks where we can do anything we want. 
    I agree. The current tech is may be a more immersive experience than the regular set up, which I would say is similar to turning all lights off and it being pitch dark except for the screen of the monitor.

The star trek variant is that its all around you even when you are not looking.

Which is kind of what the xbox 1 is doing, by using walls and more than just 1 side. illumiroom*

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Moirae said:
    I agree. The current tech is may be a more immersive experience than the regular set up, which I would say is similar to turning all lights off and it being pitch dark except for the screen of the monitor.

The star trek variant is that its all around you even when you are not looking.

Which is kind of what the xbox 1 is doing, by using walls and more than just 1 side. illumiroom*
    Illumiroom will eventually be an extension or at least an addition of hololens.   It isn't confirmed, but in short, everything microsoft has worked towards since the original kinect seems to have a place in future hardware applications.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    naami said:
    Can put your laptop in your backpack for mobile VR  :p
    Then you can walk around using Oculus Rift.

If you're in the USA, you'll also get the possibility to sue some manufacturer because they neglected their responsibility to warn users that covering both of your eyes while walking may result in colliding with something.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Bleh... same as for all the new consoles they inundate us with, show me the games!
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    sorry I was away from this thread for several days and I now have no idea what the topic has turned into

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me